Stories in the Room: Michael Jackson's Thriller Album

this is the second YouTube episode. the backup singers on ‘wanna be startin’ somethin’ are the guests 💜

I’m glad that the depth of my favourite song is being acknowledged both lyrically, and musically 💜

it’s a shorter video so I won’t reveal any spoilers. I think they captured the essence of who michael was at the time with their stories 💜

@zinniabooklover this episode is Matt forger. he confirmed yet again, that the album started to take off once Michael did Motown 25. I’m actually convinced that it would have sold faster initially , had ‘billie jean’ been the lead off single.
Thank you so much for this. Haven't had the energy to listen to it yet but I will. Matt is my guy, lol.

In fact, thank you also for the Waters family vid. I tried to post that one and my laptop just laughed in my face. It does that sometimes, lol. I like having stuff all gathered together so this is great.

Dunno why but accessing the Stories stuff hasn't been straightforward. Really odd. 🤔

I haven't finished listening to the Greg P. vid. I was a little disappointed with the bits I did listen to. The interview was a bit shapeless, imo. Maybe it gets better later on. I'll have to return to it at some point. It's nice to have stuff stacked up, awaiting my attention. This is what I like!

Last edited:
@zinniabooklover this episode is Matt forger. he confirmed yet again, that the album started to take off once Michael did Motown 25. I’m actually convinced that it would have sold faster initially , had ‘billie jean’ been the lead off single.
Matt Forger is the BEST story-teller! I love him.

Ngl, I was a bit confused. It's 10 mins long. I thought it was gonna be longer than that. But it was great, really enjoyed it. 🧡

that groove is timeless. the keyboard 🎹 is my favourite instrument. it’s interesting to hear the different layers to the composition. it’s clear that Michael also co produced the song; he did the wolf howls and triggered that ‘shooting star’ effect (keeping in line with the original concept of the ‘starlight’ demo).

I’m learning stories that I never knew before. I love how they credit everybody involved, whilst not minimising michael’s own creative input. there’s a lot of love in this series 💜

it seems that Michael applied one of the early uses of sampling, by extracting certain sounds from vinyl recordings. there’s a legitimate reason why he’s credited as a co producer.

is it just me, or are they re-uploading the same videos?
I'm not sure but I'm definitely getting confused. I thought it was just me bc I haven't watched them as they've been posted. I've been jumping around so I thought that was why it seemed like I was watching repeats.

I do like this series but am finding it a bit odd.

there was a q&a session scheduled. I’m going to ask if ‘thriller’ was sped up as it has been claimed here 🤔this series is insightful (and free). I hope they gain more followers/subscribers.

there was a q&a session scheduled. I’m going to ask if ‘thriller’ was sped up as it has been claimed here 🤔this series is insightful (and free). I hope they gain more followers/subscribers.
On one of the earlier Q&A's with Matt Forger, Matt was asked about speed alterations on Thriller & Bad albums. From memory he was pretty confident BBM on Thriller being altered; said he has to check his notes for an accurate answer regarding vso on other songs .

Back