Sweet stories: MJ's trip to China

loveforever

Proud Member
0023ae606f170bb3e8c813.jpg

0023ae606f170bb3e8e814.jpg

On June 26, the "King of Pop" Michael Jackson died suddenly from a heart attack. All his Chinese fans felt regret that he never held a concert in Chinese mainland; however, 22 years ago Michael Jackson set foot on Chinese mainland for the first time and visited the city of Zhongshan during a holiday in Hong Kong. That was his only trip to the Chinese mainland.

Liu Guangzhi, who has now settled down in Maryland in the US, received Michael Jackson and his tour group on October 23, 1987, as the best English-speaking tour guide in Zhongshan City at that time.

Dark green coat, trim black pants, big sunglasses with a black frame, and a friendly and calm character, were his first impressions of Michael.

Visit to Yongmo Village in the town of Sanxiang

"He was deeply fascinated by the paddy fields, water buffaloes, ducks on the ponds and peaceful villages along the roads as well as the farmhouses which looked over 100 years old." Liu told reporters that the kindness of the rural residents and their simple life style deeply appealed to Michael Jackson.

"While he was walking on the blue slate road in Yongmo Village, he looked curiously at the infants in arms, greeted the kids in the village, and took photos with the old ladies basking in the sunshine." said Liu.

Two photos of Michael Jackson with the kids of Yongmo Village later appeared in his autobiography.

Visiting Sun Yat-sen's former residence

As part of the tour, Michael Jackson also came to the village of Cuiheng in the town of Nanlang to visit Sun Yat-sen's former residence and the Guangdong Sun Yat-sen Memorial Middle School.

Before he came to China, he did not know much about Sun Yat-sen. "In Sun's former residence, he was quite interested in the Chinese architecture. He asked me about Sun's life story, and seemed to admire him."

The picture of Sun wearing a "Chinese tunic suit" also aroused Michael's curiosity, and he inquired about the origin and design of the outfit. "It has been said that he commissioned tailors to design some 'Chinese tunic suits' for him when he returned to Hong Kong, and took the suits back with him to the US."

Commissioned his agent to mail a group photo to Liu after he returned to Hong Kong

Michael's consideration deeply touched Liu. "After he returned to Hong Kong, he commissioned his agent to mail me a group photo of us, which he signed."

The photos mailed to Liu include group photos of Michael with the kids and the elderly residents in Yongmo Village, which Liu later brought back to the village.

These photos are still well preserved and prominently displayed by the villagers in their houses.

"For us, this is a beautiful memory, and Jackson captured it for us. Although he has gone, we can still look at the photos and recall Michael's kindness and friendliness. He is a unique superstar, and we will remember him forever."

Last edited:
Re: Sweet story: MJ's trip to Chinese mainland

2009070401061881f62.jpg

22 years ago, Michael Jackson visited Zhongshan and stayed in Yong Maek village for about 1 hour. The craft store owner was fortunate enough to get along with the star for more than half an hour, leaving behind precious memories.

Mr Zhou said, "Michael Jackson visited Yong Maek Village around 11am. After visiting the farmers , he came to craft stalls. At that time I was holding my 4-month-old son in the shop. Michael Jackson came in and was immediately attracted by my son, and he came straight to play with my son, played a full half an hour. " zhou described, in this half an hour, Michael Jackson was fully immersed in the 'baby and me' world, the scene was so warm and touching. "He hold my son, laughed and constantly spoke English, teased my son to play. He lifted my son, and then down, repeating this action many times, my son was so happy, he laughed and giggled."

Mrs Zhou clearly remembered Michael Jackson,to make baby happy, also showed his special skills - dancing. "He kept beating feet, as in dance, movement and his dance moves on television is somewhat similar, but the magnitude is not a lot." To mention this detail, Mr zhou laughed, "his music cell were showed full out then, and I remember him walking like in dancing, very cute. "

2009070411154426a96.jpg

The couple showed the gifts Michael mailed to them

20090704005026a667f.jpg

autographed Moonwalk

Last edited:

wonderful story ,thnx for posting.

Thank you so much for sharing...I have read the chinese version of the news previously but never see the last two pictures that you posted. I believed he was really having a great time during his Hong Kong plus China trip in the late 1987 cos it meant to be a secret break for him in between the Japan and Australia tour, where he wasn't surrounded by paparazzi. I heard that he has planned for a 3 days break but ended up staying behind for 3 weeks. I'm glad he did enjoy his stay in Hong Kong which is the place I was born. :)

That was sooo sweet...Thankyou for sharing...

I wonder, What ever happened to the 4 month old baby? he'd be 23 years old now wont he? :D

L.O.V.E.
Romi

YES, he is 23 and study business in university. He said he always wanted to send some letters to Michael but he lost his chance now. Coincidentally his birthday is June 25, and he got the message of Michael's death on his birthday. This is the picture of him now.
U3124P28T3D2588425F346DT20090629223911.jpg
20090704010210b4a60.jpg

This family said Michael brought good luck to them, and changed their life. After Michael's visiting, many tourists came to the village because of Michael.

Last edited:

I love this picture. :wub:

Another beautiful story of our sweet and amazing human being MJ. :wub: Thanks for sharing. :) Michael always had a really great admiration for the oriental culture and a great affection for China and Japan too. There must be many, many, many other amazing stories of visits to Michael in other countries.

Michael's just so beautiful in every single ounce of his being. The man just exubed love. This world would be such a wonderful place if there were more people like Michael. He was an angel on earth.

I was doing so well ... Reading that news has made me cry. What a beautiful, special human being ... I love and miss him so much.

YES, he is 23 and study business in university. He said he always wanted to send some letters to Michael but he lost his chance now. Coincidentally his birthday is June 25, and he got the message of Michael's death on his birthday. This is the picture of him now.
U3124P28T3D2588425F346DT20090629223911.jpg
20090704010210b4a60.jpg

This family said Michael brought good luck to them, and changed their life. After Michael's visiting, many tourists came to the village because of Michael.

:eek: THAT MUST HAVE BEEN HORRIBLE...:no: To have someone die on ur birthday...:( But he is a very lucky person to have met Mike...even though he doesnt really remember it...he's got a pic with him. :)

L.O.V.E.
Romi

Back