Taj Jackson's MJ Documentary - Updates and Discussion [MERGED]

I also never got the crowd funding thing, aren't the Jacksons suppose to be rich? Why did they needed fans to pay for a documentary to clear Michael's name. LN was not crowdfunded, its just sad.
Exactly. I've seen Taj address this. IIRC, he seems to have been saying that if it was funded by the family it would be dismissed as being too biased and therefore not to be taken seriously. But it will get that criticism anyway. Even without *any* involvement of the family or Estate it will get that thrown at it. If Taj is producer - or whatever the hell - it will get that 1000x. I can't see how it would be SO much worse if the family paid for it. No offence to anyone who donated money to this. But I think it's insulting to crowdfund it when the family has so much money. I'm a simple soul and this makes no sense to me. Perhaps there are things in play here that I'm unaware of or don't understand. But I can't think what those things might be.

yes, rather its the fans who relentlessly fight for Michael and spread his music around who have done lot of hard work
Michael working hard even after his death, his magical music and art, his loyal fanbase who have gone above and beyond (of course, I'm not including myself here, I mean *actual* fans, the long-term veterans who put their shoulder to the wheel and got the work done) and time. The Estate have been involved in some good projects, I guess. 'This Is It' I don't really consider an Estate project but, hey, not gonna nitpick. I know a lot of fans have issues with TII but it also turned things around for a lot of people who aren't fans.

Last edited:
I've seen Taj address this. IIRC, he seems to have been saying that if it was funded by the family it would be dismissed as being too biased and therefore not to be taken seriously.
oh that's total BS. Even of the documentary is fully fan made, it will get this criticism of being biased. If he really wanted it to be seen as unbiased, he should have handed over the material to some independent commercial 3rd party, let them find the funding and create an independent film. In that case crowd funding would have made sense. But Taj to take money from fans and then not even deliver anything for so long is just shameful.

oh that's total BS. Even of the documentary is fully fan made, it will get this criticism of being biased. If he really wanted it to be seen as unbiased, he should have handed over the material to some independent commercial 3rd party, let them find the funding and create an independent film. In that case crowd funding would have made sense. But Taj to take money from fans and then not even deliver anything for so long is just shameful.
This is my whole point. It makes no sense as an explanation of why he needed to crowdfund. Again, I'm meaning no offence to anyone who donated. They want to do whatever they can to try to help Michael. But this never made any sense even at the beginning.

Now? Three years later?

Just gonna leave that there.

I feel like loving Neverland covered everything anyway. 5hr doc?? What more can Taj say or do except provide rare footage or music. That's all I want anyway. But 250k & 3 years?? Lol yeah I been forgot about it. I stamp loving neverland as leaving Neverlands end to the bs!

yeah, he could have just taken that 5 hr doc, added some more footage to it, broke it up into 40-min episode series, and all done, out in good time.

Someone brought this up elsewhere and it's a thought I've had myself. Taj is gonna have to start showing something soon. This project is mostly funded by fan money, and the thing that he promised isn't even coming out any more, so he needs to show progress has been made or people are going to want their money back. I donated a small amount at the beginning, but I know there are those who donated more.

Not looking forward to Taj’s documentary anymore. The ideal time to release the documentary would have been right after Leaving Neverland aired. It’s now been nearly four years since Leaving Neverland aired. Is there any point in Taj’s documentary now that the attention seems to be back on Michael’s art again? With the recent mega success of MJ’s musical and the upcoming Thriller 40, and the biopic in the next few years, Taj’s documentary now seems pointless, in my opinion.

Not looking forward to Taj’s documentary anymore. The ideal time to release the documentary would have been right after Leaving Neverland aired.
Indeed. Within a 12 month period would have been reasonable. Perhaps it's not possible to produce a quality product so quickly. I wouldn't know. But a rebuttal has to happen quickly or it's pointless. People forget or they lose interest.

It’s now been nearly four years since Leaving Neverland aired. Is there any point in Taj’s documentary
I had a phase where I was trying to be charitable. I thought perhaps he was waiting for LN Part 2 so he could deal with the whole thing in one fell swoop. But then, why not announce that to the people who donated money? And why start talking about an 11 part series which doesn't sound connected to the original project at all? So it's all a bit confusing and annoying. Actually, not annoying. Because, until this discussion, I had more or less forgotten about it.

now that the attention seems to be back on Michael’s art again? With the recent mega success of MJ’s musical and the upcoming Thriller 40, and the biopic in the next few years, Taj’s documentary now seems pointless, in my opinion.
I agree, I'm not sure I see the point any more. A documentary produced / directed by someone with the relevant skills might still be relevant but Taj does not seem to be that person.

I agree, I'm not sure I see the point any more. A documentary produced / directed by someone with the relevant skills might still be relevant but Taj does not seem to be that person.
At this point, I rather we get a documentary on the Jordan Chandler allegations. There is a lot of misinformation about the 1993 case, especially in regards to Michael paying the Chandler family money, which is an admission of his guilt in the eyes of many people.

If you can educate the public about the 1993 case, and convince them of Michael’s innocence, then all subsequent allegations kind of look like cash grabs.

Not looking forward to Taj’s documentary anymore. The ideal time to release the documentary would have been right after Leaving Neverland aired. It’s now been nearly four years since Leaving Neverland aired. Is there any point in Taj’s documentary now that the attention seems to be back on Michael’s art again? With the recent mega success of MJ’s musical and the upcoming Thriller 40, and the biopic in the next few years, Taj’s documentary now seems pointless, in my opinion.
You hit the hammer on the nail with that 1!!!! Like.... people knew they were lying & even if they didn't watch it, they got wind of fans debunking it & I've seen alot of ppl mention or say they knew that they were lying so. Mj is back on top with no help from his entire family at all which is sad af! I really wonder about that family like seriously! But I think he pocketed that money & he hopes people will forget about it sooner than later

You hit the hammer on the nail with that 1!!!! Like.... people knew they were lying & even if they didn't watch it, they got wind of fans debunking it & I've seen alot of ppl mention or say they knew that they were lying so. Mj is back on top with no help from his entire family at all which is sad af! I really wonder about that family like seriously! But I think he pocketed that money & he hopes people will forget about it sooner than later
I don’t want to doubt Taj’s intentions. I think he means well and genuinely cares for his uncle.

At this point, I rather we get a documentary on the Jordan Chandler allegations. There is a lot of misinformation about the 1993 case,
It's a nightmare. I lost count of the number of times, back in the day, I had to read about this bc so much info out there, even some of it that looked OK, was actually incorrect. I was always having to backtrack to get things straight in my mind. I would not claim to be completely up to speed on this part of Michael's story. This is complicated stuff and I have no legal training. I am certainly no expert but, in so far as I understand it at all, it's only bc I went over it and over it literally dozens of times just bc of the wonky way it was being presented to me.

especially in regards to Michael paying the Chandler family money, which is an admission of his guilt in the eyes of many people.
Exactly so. This is the 'no smoke without fire' thing that people constantly reference as being indisputable proof. It's a slam dunk for them.

If you can educate the public about the 1993 case, and convince them of Michael’s innocence, then all subsequent allegations kind of look like cash grabs.
I agree. It needs to start there. This is the one that set the blueprint, after all. You can show the pattern much more easily once you've got people to understand the development of the Chandler story. No idea if this is true but I believe at one point DR was planning for his Part 2 to look at 1993. So it's crucial for good quality, forensic explanations to be made available to counter any nonsense that might pop up in the future.

@zinniabooklover the Jackson’s as a whole aren’t cash rich at all especially the original Jackson’s kids. It’s only a select few that have a large cashflow. Mj 3 kids, Katherine and Janet. That’s why some of the brothers Janet and rebbie tried to get the estate overthrown awhile back and contested mj will because the executors had cleared his debt and they wanted access to the money.

@zinniabooklover the Jackson’s as a whole aren’t cash rich at all especially the original Jackson’s kids. It’s only a select few that have a large cashflow. Mj 3 kids, Katherine and Janet. That’s why some of the brothers Janet and rebbie tried to get the estate overthrown awhile back and contested mj will because the executors had cleared his debt and they wanted access to the money.
I understand this. Don't wanna get into it on the finances of the Jackson clan which I obviously don't have intimate knowledge of and it's none of my business anyway. Still find it hard to believe that the clan as a whole couldn't rustle up the necessary dosh for this project. Or even just his Mum and Janet. Yes, maybe not all family members even agree with the project. But I cannot understand why a crowdfund was needed and I've never seen an explanation that made any sense to me.

I'm sure there are many aspects to this that I'm unaware of or don't understand and it certainly is not my place to tell other people how to spend their money. That said, I remain sceptical of the whole project including the funding of it. I do try to keep an open mind on this and certainly hope that the story will have a happy ending with an interesting and useful product becoming available in due course. But the signs so far are not hopeful. As I said, I had actually forgotten all about this until this discussion. I think I'll return to my state of ignorance. Taj will get his act together or he won't. Me mithering about it won't change the outcome one way or another.

I also never got the crowd funding thing, aren't the Jacksons suppose to be rich? Why did they needed fans to pay for a documentary to clear Michael's name. LN was not crowdfunded, its just sad.
I think quite a few people are confused about the financial aspect of this. But I am definitely more concerned about Taj's apparent lack of relevant experience and his current mishandling of the need to communicate with the fans. Not the fanbase as a whole, necessarily. Just the people who donated money.

Taj simply is not qualified for any type of professional documentary release. Its not enough to want to do something, you have to know how to follow through and close the deal. He should've never accepted the money from the fans because he had to have known he wasn't capable of this and had no idea where to start or any experience whatsoever in putting together anything by yourself.

I hate to say it but I feel like Taj is trying to use this documentary and the fans money to jumpstart a directorial career which really shouldn't be the case. I noticed in their reality series the nephews did, the new generation of jacksons are extremely entitled to success in entertainment. Which happens a lot with nepotism. Nobody wants to start from the ground up anymore especially if you're connected to the king of pop, michael jackson. At this point he should give the fans the money back, but he might not have it tbh. I hate to be harsh but the fact that he hasn't even started production on this project after 3 years is proof to me that its never going to happen..
I think your comment here pretty much nails it.

Haven't got anything more to say about this so I'll just leave it there.

I am such a sucker lol. I still somehow feel positive and excited for Taj's project haha. But I am clearly in the vast minority, which is fine. I am probably the one who is going to be disappointed in the end and you can all laugh at me 😂

That said I agree with much of what has been said. I mentioned this above, but the difference between how "Trial by Media" is being approached and this project is staggering. Jin Chohan has given regular updates every few months. He has shown quality footage and continues to promote it. It's not some amorphous project. I feel genuinely hopeful that this one will become something. If well-done and featured on a primary streaming service, I think it can have a similar effect as the Britney Spears documentaries did on Hulu where it may generate real discussion of the issues and help people see the situation for what it was.

Regardless, I just want to wait and see what happens an remain cautiously optimistic until all hope is squashed. That's how I roll lol.

If Taj thinks that $25000 per episode is going to produce quality, then its clear he knows nothing about producing a television programme.

I am sure Taj is going to release his docuseries. I have faith in him. Taj is so DEDICATED to this project, I wish him nothing but the best. Just as I had faith in the MJ Musical, I have faith in Taj and his project. Fans who are complaining need to understand that there could be things that we are not aware of happening behind the scenes. Remember that before you start downing Taj or his intentions. Taj would NEVER do anything that would hurt his uncle, Michael. What you need to worry about is what he is going through trying to get this project completed.

I am sure Taj is going to release his docuseries. I have faith in him. Taj is so DEDICATED to this project, I wish him nothing but the best. Just as I had faith in the MJ Musical, I have faith in Taj and his project. Fans who are complaining need to understand that there could be things that we are not aware of happening behind the scenes. Remember that before you start downing Taj or his intentions. Taj would NEVER do anything that would hurt his uncle, Michael. What you need to worry about is what he is going through trying to get this project completed.
Well said.

Ngl, I'm not optimistic but I need to be patient. Taj is putting himself right on the front line over this.

I think there are legitimate concerns being expressed but he hasn't actually given up, as far as I can see. I finally watched part of the livestream. He's a lot more confident than he used to be. He's communicating much better. I haven't watched the whole thing but the part I watched did convince me he's still up for this. His love for Michael seems to be deep and pure and I do think he's mindful of how much Michael's good name and legacy need to be protected. I have never doubted his love for his uncle or his desire to correct the lies and falsehoods.

When I think of the difficulties Michael sometimes faced in his career, the setbacks ... and he was a consummate professional with decades of experience. I know he has the 3T experience behind him but Taj has probably got less showbiz experience than Michael had by the age of 15.

So I will remind myself to be patient, send Taj some love, try to maintain a more positive mindset.

Nobody has said or is saying he'd do anything to hurt MJ. The reasons people are complaining have been clearly stated.

Do you think that he has also been waiting for everything to come to frustration as in the promo, new music etc? The estate said of activations maybe he is also part of the activations also?
In either case I do believe that once new releases come and now Michael being crowned once again worlds biggest icon on smooth fm this will do no harm and let the world know that Michael is all about the music.

Do you think that he has also been waiting for everything to come to frustration as in the promo, new music etc? The estate said of activations maybe he is also part of the activations also?
Interesting point! IIRC didn't he thank the estate for their support in his livestream? He didn't directly say he's working with them, but I wonder if he is and that's a part of this? Hmm. I hadn't considered that reasoning.

In either case I do believe that once new releases come and now Michael being crowned once again worlds biggest icon on smooth fm this will do no harm and let the world know that Michael is all about the music.
I DO believe that Taj has been waiting for everything to come to fruition.😎

My honest opinion:

LN was in 2019... almost 4 years ago.
And to be really honest.. i think its really weird that the jackson family asks fans to pay for financing the documentary..
They all have a lot of money.. especially Janet.
She could throw a million.. she wouldn't even notice...

ALSO:

We are living in a time where you don't need big budget to produce great quality!

Last edited:
If the pandemic didnt happen this would have came out when it was supposed to. Since it has been almost 4 years I understand the change in topic. I dont have a problem with it being a docu series. This is what people watch on streaming services all the time now. We dont need a 2 hour doc on cable anymore. Times/plans have changed. Still looking forward to this. Taj has been working hard on this let's give him a chance.

I DO believe that Taj has been waiting for everything to come to fruition.😎
Eh, everyone here hopes the doc turns out great. Like I said, peoples concerns are valid and have been made clear. Literally nobody has said they doubt Taj's intentions or integrity. You're literally just making stuff up so you can complain about people not being happy with how he's handling things.

Eh, everyone here hopes the doc turns out great. Like I said, peoples concerns are valid and have been made clear. Literally nobody has said they doubt Taj's intentions or integrity. You're literally just making stuff up so you can complain about people not being happy with how he's handling things.
Reading IS fundamental. I’m not making anything up. There were clearly several people who doubted Taj’s intentions AND his integrity concerning his project. You have YOUR opinion and it has nothing to do with MINE. 💁🏻‍♂️💁🏻‍♀️

Back