Teddy Riley interview with Vibe about working Michael's albums

ivy

Proud Member
Only parts related to Michael are below.

Teddy Riley Runs Down His Entire Catalogue Ft. Keith Sweat, Guy, Bobby Brown, Michael Jackson, Blackstreet, and Lady Gaga

http://www.vibe.com/photo-galleries...ith-sweat-guy-bobby-brow-0?page=13#node-title

Dangerous—Michael Jackson (1991)

“I was the scariest person on earth when I met Michael Jackson [laughs]. When I first met him he scared the [crap] out of me…literally. I was at his compound in a room that [housed] all his accomplishments. I saw his humanitarian awards…all of that stuff. And there was also a chessboard there in the middle of the room. So I’m touching it because it’s gold and platinum. And when I put my hand on the first piece Michael had his hand on my shoulder. And all I could do was fall to the ground. All I saw was Michael laughing. That put me at ease because usually when you are touching somebody’s stuff in their house they look at you funny, but Michael just laughed. My heart was calmed down, until it was time for us to go into the studio to work on Dangerous. But before that whole experience of working with Michael I was going through a big transition in my life.

Like I said, I lost both my brother and best friend. So, right after that Guy show I’m driving in my Ferrari. I had gone through so much and all I wanted to do was produce. So I get a call on my cell phone from Michael Jackson! He’s telling me that he wants to work with me! Michael was like, ‘Can you be here next week?’ That was the transition between Guy and me taking my career to the next level. I was struggling. I had moved back to the projects. I was going from hotel to hotel. And you know what saved me on my way to working with Michael? It was doing the remix to Jane Child’s ‘Don’t Wanna Fall In Love’. I can remember being in a hotel and Benny Medina (influential label executive) called me. He’s like, ‘I really want you to do this Jane Child remix because I want it to go urban…it’s too white’ Now, I already loved ‘Don’t Wanna Fall In Love’. It’s a record that I had wished I produced. And then Benny calls me! Funny how the universe works. I knew I was going to tear that remix up.

That song saved my life. I’m thinking $20,000 for that remix. I thought it would help me pay off my credit card because that’s all I had. I was on the outs with Zomba, so I wasn’t getting any money from publishing. They thought I was stocking songs away. But Benny got me $75,000! That money got my family back to New York. I was ready to move everyone to New Jersey to a three flat condo. But my mom told me she wasn’t going to move in with us until I brought her a house. And then my brother Brandon was shot. This was all in my mind going into Dangerous.

Bringing back Michael to his R&B roots is something that I stood for. I didn’t just want to go the pop route because that’s not what he called me for. He called me for that New Jack Swing. That’s what he wanted and that’s what he got. When I was working on ‘Remember The Time’ this was at the same time I was doing a remix for ‘D-O-G Me Out’ in one room, ‘Don’t Wanna Fall In Love’ in another room, and all of the other tracks I was presenting to Michael. I was at Sound Works studio in New York. I was using Q-Tip’s (lead MC and producer of A Tribe Called Quest) little studio he was renting out. When I told him I needed a studio to work on Michael Jackson songs he was like, ‘Oh, hell yeah!’

Working with Michael was like going to college. He basically gave me the map. He navigated me on how to actually compose. He taught me all the different ways of working with Quincy Jones and Greg Phillinganes. When I played my demos for Michael he stopped me at the fifth song, which was ‘Remember The Time.’ He took me to the back room and I thought I was going to get fired. I thought I had done something wrong, but it was a chord that he couldn’t get around. He didn’t know the church chords. The first chord you hear on ‘Remember The Time’ started off that song in a very church way. He never started off his songs in that way, and that’s why he pulled me in the back because it was so unusual for him.

Michael was testing me to see what the chord really was and what it meant to me. And he wanted me to play it right in front of him on this piano he had in his room. He was used to the straight C majors. He wasn’t used to the C augmented chords. I could say I introduced the New Jack Swing chords to him. All of those songs were great to work on: ‘In The Closet’; ‘Jam’; ‘Can’t Let Her Get Away’…that’s history for me. It was a great feeling to be a part of a huge selling album like that…over 30 million records of Dangerous.”

Invincible—Michael Jackson (2001)

“Mike and me started the Invincible album in New York. That’s when Michael built this studio for me on the top floor of a building. He had Criteria Studios build me a studio in a penthouse in two weeks. I kid you not. I went home and Michael was like, ‘Go home…the studio will be built in two weeks.’ We finished everything else in Miami. When I started working on Invincible one of the songs that stood out for me was ‘Whatever Happens.’ It came from an artist that was signed to my label. We were going to sign him to Interscope, but this guy started tripping out. So I ended up going to the writers of that song and asked them could I produce the song for Michael. They let me do it. I told the label that I wanted a 40-piece orchestra to do strings on this record. And I told Michael that it would be great to have Carlos Santana on the song because of the guitars on there. Michael was like, ‘Okay, we will make that happen.’

I wanted ‘Whatever Happens’ to be special. But we had a problem. Santana didn’t want to leave the house at that time. He told us, ‘This is family time.’ He takes time out, for months, to spend with his family. So anything that would have to be done would be done at his home, so we went to his home studio. Santana was such a good guy…very spiritual. And he is a very big fan of my idol Miles Davis. This dude had a Miles Davis guitar and all these performances on video. During the guitar track to ‘Whatever Happens’ Santana was doing the whistling that you hear. And Michael loved it. I remember his excitement over the record. He said, ‘Let’s keep it!’ So we are working on the Invincible album and around the same time I invited Michael to Virginia. That was moment Virginia had a real respect for me. They were like, ‘If he could bring Michael Jackson to Virginia as well as Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown, he’s bringing revenue to the state. So we have to respect him.’ And I’m talking about getting respect from the political side.

I was in so much mess with this album [laughs]. Michael had me responsible for so many things. I remember Tommy Motolla (one-time head of Sony Music Entertainment) cursing me out telling me, ‘This will be the end of your career if you don’t turn over those masters!’ I had no idea that Michael had told him I had the masters [laughs]. I called him up and said, ‘My God Michael…you put me in trouble with Tommy Motolla. Do you know who Tommy Motolla is? But I ended up helping Michael. I took the masters and I held them for him. Michael was upset with the marketing plans for the Invincible record. I was going to stand behind Michael and that’s what I did. To me it was an album that was going to do the big numbers. But when Michael saw the marketing plans he told me, ‘I’ll be surprised if this album does only two million.’ They took money from his budget, too. I didn’t care about anything else. I just believed in Michael.”

Michael—Michael Jackson (2010)

“If Michael was still alive I would have been even happier with this album. Because I would be getting the actual vocals right there. I had to deal with what I had. I kind of got scrutinized for some of the things I said about this album. I want people to know that it’s not that I didn’t believe it was Michael’s voice on those songs. I just know what I was trying to bring to that project. ‘Hollywood Tonight’ really signified making Michael upbeat and funky again. When I did that song, I really felt Michael the most. I felt Michael the most on that track because it was like I was holding back tears and holding onto my heart all at the same time. When I heard Michael singing on that song it got me very emotional.

I felt the same way when I heard Michael singing on those two Neff-U songs (‘(I Like) The Way You Love Me’ and ‘Best of Joy’).’ Those songs made me feel like Michael was in the room with me. Talking about Michael at this day and time is really bringing back so many memories…things that make me wish he was still here. At one point when I was working on that last Michael album I couldn’t move forward. I couldn’t do what I wanted to do because he wasn’t there with me. But I had to complete it as if he was there. It was always about Michael’s legacy.”

Thanks for posting.

I must admit I am having some trouble digesting everything rilley says. I used to think he was an allright guy, but lately I find him as a braggin charactor. (well, I could have closed my eyes instead of reading, if he annoys me so much, right?)

^^^hey what can we say? I think it was a pnnacle in his career. If I worked for Michael as much as he did, I would let EVERYONE know. I think he is just really proud of what they were able to accomplish. At least he still has humility in regards to MIchael's status as opposed to his unlike some other producers MIchael worked with (*cough *Quincy Jones *cough*).

As for the interview, I think Teddy felt so connected to Michael on the songs he mentioned because those vocals actually sound like Michael :)ninja:) and that's all I'm going to say on that. -_- :mello: :worried:

I actually liked how he explained his work on the "MICHAEL" album. He only spoke on the songs he was sure of, and didn't give the previous impression that despite everything that went on, his word should be thought of in higher regard than a fan.

“If Michael was still alive I would have been even happier with this album. Because I would be getting the actual vocals right there. I had to deal with what I had.

here he acknowledges that the existing vocals weren't perfect

Talking about Michael at this day and time is really bringing back so many memories…things that make me wish he was still here.

also both sentences "if Michael was still alive", "make me wish he was still here" makes it clear that he believes Michael is dead. As I pointed out before all his "Michael's is alive" tweets etc was not literal and it's nothing more than "his spirit / his legacy alive" and that he merely wanted to think Michael was being alive and happy someplace rather than facing the reality that he's dead and gone.

yes maybe hes going to be doing the next album. Hopefully its Michael and not Jason and or any other voice-a-like.

"When I did that song, I really felt Michael the most." That's because it is Michael singing.

It's funny how a really incomplete and rough HT made him incredibly emotional, yet the Cascio tracks (which do have more vocals and rather finished lyrics with no mumbling parts) weren't even worth mentioning.

I mean, at this point, is anybody even surprised he didn't go into specifics about the Cascio tracks?

Of course he's not gonna talk about them, for the obvious reasons.

Thanks for Teddy's interview.
I like the way he is so humble with his experience with Michael and these comments:
" It was always about Michael’s legacy.”"
"I just believed in Michael.”

Amen.

I appreciate when people talk about Michael with resepect as it should be. I laughed at him touching the chess board pieces and Michael scared him lol. I can hear Michael laugh in my head.

CaptainEoLove85;3610840 said:
I thought he believed Michael was alive and thought the Cascio tracks were Michael singing, so which is it? :doh:

I always said he didn't mean literally alive and for the rest

I want people to know that it’s not that I didn’t believe it was Michael’s voice on those songs.

He still says he believes it's Michael's voice - double negative making a positive statement.

It's funny how a really incomplete and rough HT made him incredibly emotional, yet the Cascio tracks (which do have more vocals and rather finished lyrics with no mumbling parts) weren't even worth mentioning.

I mean, at this point, is anybody even surprised he didn't go into specifics about the Cascio tracks?

Of course he's not gonna talk about them, for the obvious reasons.

So what's the new conspiracy theory regarding Riley now?

At first he was the naive, gullible but innocent victim of the Cascios' hoax.

Then he started defending and promoting the songs, so he became a broke loser who was getting money from the Cascios to defend songs he had always known were fake.

So what's the new personality now? That of a semi-reformed fraudster, who won't admit to his crime yet leaves clues in his interviews with the media?

How many personalities does Teddy Riley have, according to the anti-Cascio conspiracy theorists? And why do none of them make any psychological sense?

kreen;3610859 said:
So what's the new conspiracy theory regarding Riley now?

At first he was the naive, gullible but innocent victim of the Cascios' hoax.

Then he started defending and promoting the songs, so he became a broke loser who was getting money from the Cascios to defend songs he had always known were fake.

So what's the new personality now? That of a semi-reformed fraudster, who won't admit to his crime yet leaves clues in his interviews with the media?

How many personalities does Teddy Riley have, according to the anti-Cascio conspiracy theorists? And why do none of them make any psychological sense?

There are no anti-Cascio conspiracy theorists as you call them, only people who recognise Jason and not Michael. As for Teddy Riley, it would be crazy to suggest he was "in on some conspiracy". He himself said the songs weren't Michael enough for him but continued to work on them anyway. According to Taryll Jackson:

"I remember when Teddy and I were at Encore listening to KYHU. We both knew it wasn’t my Uncle. He stopped working on it because (and I quote) “it didn’t sound enough like Michael. Michael doesn’t swing like that.” He also said he was only working on the Cascio records in hopes that he would eventually be given a “real Michael Jackson song.” As he knows, I never agreed with that logic. I’ll never forget when Teddy called me telling me, “I’m so excited, I finally got a ‘Michael record.’ It’s called Hollywood Tonight and it’s him.”

What Taryll said there actually ties in pretty well with what Riley is saying now. Of course, I'm sure you have an anti-Jackson conspiracy theory about Taryll etc sabotaging the album or some such nonsense. Can't have it both ways I'm afraid.

I just read an interview from TEDDY RILEY, saying :

HipHopWired: So you got involved with the Blackstreet project. How did it go back to ya’ll reuniting for Invincible?

Teddy Riley: After “No Diggity,” I came back off my tour, he loved that record, so he called me and he said, ‘Listen, I want you to help me finish this record’ and he had already did a bunch of tracks with Rodney Jerkins. So I got called in at the end of the project.

However, there are some tracks registered to MJ AND RILEY from 98, 99 and 00. I don't quite get it. If he was called at the of the project, what are those songs?

I always said he didn't mean literally alive

Whether he believes it or not is anybody's guess but he makes it fairly clear in this interview that he means Michael is physically alive, particularly with the quote "From the facts that I know I would think that he is."

[youtube]CVJRd5tlIRM#![/youtube]

Also, he was asked the following question by a fan on twitter: "Akon said he believes Michael is in hiding and will be coming back one day. Im curious to know what ya think bout that."

His response: "AKON IS MY FRIEND AND WE THINK ALIKE."

As for the interview, I think Teddy felt so connected to Michael on the songs he mentioned because those vocals actually sound like Michael :)ninja:) and that's all I'm going to say on that. -_- :mello: :worried:
Indeed.

also both sentences "if Michael was still alive", "make me wish he was still here" makes it clear that he believes Michael is dead. As I pointed out before all his "Michael's is alive" tweets etc was not literal and it's nothing more than "his spirit / his legacy alive" and that he merely wanted to think Michael was being alive and happy someplace rather than facing the reality that he's dead and gone.
But what do you make of what he says in this video then, in which he is directly asked whether he thinks Michael is still alive?

The first part of his answer seems to be consistent with what you are saying as in 'he still feels his presence' etc, but then he clearly says:
"But.. the facts that I know, I would think he is. And it's only because he was a target."

In different interviews from the same time he also talked about how Michael personally told him he was a target for certain people, etc. To me it seems clear that he is implying that Michael is literally still alive. His answers in this new interview seem to indicate that he no longer believes that though.

I talked to him briefly before. He believed after the Michael album debate the fans were killing his legacy and he started that alive thing. He even explained on a radio show that how Elvis's fans keep him alive and not Michael's fans. The rest is his way to handle with the loss of Michael, like I said rather than accepting his death and feeling sad, he seems to hold on to the fantasy of he can be alive someplace.

I really do not care what some think they know. I'm gonna base my opinion on my direct interaction. My understanding is that he doesn't believe Michael to be literally alive, spiritually he's still around, he believes Michael and his legacy should be kept alive and ongoing rather than having a "he's dead" approach and in his heart of hearts he dares to imagine that Michael could be alive someplace rather than accepting and have to go through the reality of his loss.

In different interviews from the same time he also talked about how Michael personally told him he was a target for certain people, etc. To me it seems clear that he is implying that Michael is literally still alive. His answers in this new interview seem to indicate that he no longer believes that though.

Pay attention to that interview - he says he talks from his heart. It's just a wish that he has.

Honestly there are some days I wake up thinking that Michael's death is just a bad dream I had and I would turn on the TV and go to he Internet and see a story about Michael being alive and well. I wish that to be true. I would even check the forum and so on and then realize that the reality is that Michael is dead and what I thought was nothing more than a wishful thinking or a fantasy. I don't see Teddy's version any different than mine but also I don't have a reason to hate him like some do.

Edited to add: If you want to believe he says literally alive and consider it another reason to hate him , that's your call. I'll have a more understanding approach.

Back