Terence Trent D'Arby aka Sananda Maitreya Talks about Michael Jackson, Music, Life, and Spirituality

So TTD sounded pretty crazy there, yeah. Even if he had continued success, I don't think he was a good enough live performer to reach MJ's level, or Prince.

But I gotta admit, he actually had some solid tunes. His third album Symphony or Damn was a major improvement over Neither Fish Nor Flesh, had it been released as the follow up to Hardline he might have stuck around awhile longer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzMKk-6L7ek
Absolutely loved this one, it was a jam. "Do You Love Me Like You Say?" (Wish the album cut was on YT, it's better)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMU5xo18HI8
"She Kissed Me" was a great rock song too.

I'd say TTD's problem was himself. He got caught up in his own ambitions of grandeur and it cost him. It's sad, because this guy had a really soulful voice. Stumbled upon this Rolling Stone interview from way back in the day, it gives some insight into why he seemed so cocky back then. Dude should have got past his own ego.

http://www.sanandamaitreya.com/interviews/rollingstone.html

Last edited:
TTD is a talented guy but he sounds a little "off" here. He is not making much sense if you ask me. He needs to take responsibility for the demise of his career instead of blaming Michael. That is totally unfair not to mention untrue.

On a positive note he does mention the J5 as one of his influences in that 1988 Rolling Stone interview:

One contemplary musical force did make an immediate and lasting impression on D'Arby. "I remember one time playing in the yard by myself," he says, "when I heard this record playing from across the street, and I was galvanized. I ran across the street and said,'Who is that?' It happened to be 'I Want You Back', from the Jackson 5. It was one of those occassions when you feel one chapter in your life close and another open. It's weird, because Jackson doesn't look much older than I do now, and he doesn't come across much older. But he is a childhood idol, and it's really hard to shake an influence like that. It's like your first kiss: you can never, never forget your first girlfriend."

I think he must have been a little bit the Kanye West of his time - it was his image to be arrogant and a big mouth. LOL.

I've always wondered why he didn't become a huge star. I mean, he had a few big hits but then he just disappeared.

But I guess with that sort of attitude and blaming everyone, he was never going to be a big star.

I saw this interview and he doesnt come across as very narcisstic (mentions Mj also), at least not here. I remember the music but not his name at all, but it takes a lot of guts to be comparing himself with MJ who had already been in the music industry for more than 15 years :p

That guy is a trip! I liked his songs he came out with but lets be real - he was no Michael Jackson.

Well, I wasn't even born when he was big, this is the first time I've seen his name/heard his music... (that Wishing Well song isn't bad at all but nothing out of this world) then again, I wasn't born for most of Michael's career either...and I'm devoted to the man. What I'm trying to say is that this guy clearly had no significant/lasting impact in the music industry, for people like me, who were born in the late 80s, to like his music or KNOW about him at all (people who were alive then, surely remember but that's obvious) Michael on the other hand, did much more than that.. so he should consider that, before having the guts to compare himself to Michael or call himself his nemesis :lmao:. Some people are just so delusional, you have to take it as a joke. He's simply jealous and butthurt Michael never actually acknowledged him as a threat, NEXT!

Last edited:
In the words of Michael "Tell him go to hell"

I'm yet to see anything from TTD since he surfaced in the 80's that even closely matches Michael creative and superstar status, simple.
I certainly wont be holding my breath to see anything in the future either. He's had numerous of years to show his worth.
All I have ever seen is someone who simply copies Michael Jackson's, Princes and James Brown's style.

Not gonna get into the whole Michael Jackson James Brown thing but Michael took that style and put his own spin (no pun intended) on that style, even uttered by the words of James Brown himself.

:unsure:

The sad thing is there would be no TTD if there was no Michael in the first place, TTD lost the REALITY perspective of his ever being heard at all and who did that for him ! I was actually a Fan in the 80's and as we all know he disappeared ..dropped off the vinyl earth into some dark abyss of his own EGO BASED creation wear everyone wears tweed hats and black turtle necks! I lost all interest in where he actually was after the many years of HIM forgetting that it was us his fans that put him there ! It was a few years ago possibly right here on MJJC somewhere that I began to see him talking smack, being disrespectful, and project his failures and extreme professional jealousy as an artist on to Michael .. I was stunned I couldn't believe he would dare say the stuff that came out his delusionary mind and about Michael !!
Then I began to think why don't he go back into the hole he made for himself and stay there !

A lot of his Fans also turned away from him due to the fact that everyone could see by his actions and demeanor that the stitching was staring to loosen on that soft ball !! Some of the comments and off handed remarks he was throwing to any US camera that pointed their lens in his direction !

TTD was a preacher's son that sold his soul for the illusion that one day would may de-throne his idol, his inspiration, his talent, his humanity, his humility, his master, his savior, his creator and his lord !!
No one wanted to be any where near him for fear of where his ego would take him next besides down hill !

I feel really silly now that I wasted all those times over the years thinking and wondering whatever happened to him, like he was a dreadlock bean stalk ghost .. *poof* :doh:
Now I know that I will never know what really happened to him mentally & spiritually as he opens his mouth and slanders his REASON for EXISTING in his own words when he was new !

TTD Suggestion: Change your name to "A PLACE WITHOUT NO NAME" then no one could label you in blame if you stay in a place without a name :pray:

SMH :busted:

Oh please, TTD is one of those artist who wish he was MJ. Back in 1988 at the Grammy awards,TTD was performing on stage and MJ was in the front seat, you can tell TTD was trying to "show out" in front of MJ. He was told back then that he was a mixture of MJ and Prince. TTD needs to move on.

Back