The Bad Era

tumblr_kz2k73J52z1qz9rkuo1_500.jpg

Another one of my classic faves from back in the day. This one cropped up a LOT. 🥰

tumblr_kz2k73J52z1qz9rkuo1_500.jpg

Another one of my classic faves from back in the day. This one cropped up a LOT. 🥰
Woman. What are you doing to me?!? I am sweating in the depths of the American south, roaming the streets deranged in heat, and now this?!

The better question is why do I even look when I'm already crushed by the warmth of the world? If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. Michael and his siren's song. Can men have a siren's song? Probably not most. But Michael sure can!

Woman. What are you doing to me?!?
Says the woman who's got me going online, looking up books on rhetorical theory!!

I am sweating in the depths of the American south, roaming the streets deranged in heat, and now this?!
Ugh. The American south, in this heat? Although I guess it's always hot down there, yes?

The better question is why do I even look when I'm already crushed by the warmth of the world?
You keep on asking yourself that question, I'll keep on looking for intro level books on rhetorical theory.

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times. Michael and his siren's song. Can men have a siren's song? Probably not most. But Michael sure can!
Maybe. I wonder what the storytellers of Ancient Greece would have made of Michael? He's not Achilles, he's not Patroclus, he's not Hector. Where would they place him, I wonder?

Says the woman who's got me going online, looking up books on rhetorical theory!!
LOL oh boy! If you're really interested I could give you some recommendations, but I'll have to look around!

Ugh. The American south, in this heat? Although I guess it's always hot down there, yes?
It is! But august is for sure the worst possible time to be here lol.

Maybe. I wonder what the storytellers of Ancient Greece would have made of Michael? He's not Achilles, he's not Patroclus, he's not Hector. Where would they place him, I wonder?

Michael in Ancient Greece would be emblazoned in worshipful fantasy by the whole lot of the world. Many statues (among other things) would be erected in his honor lol. This is the only possibility I will entertain.

@staywild23

Well, that didn't last long, lol. Fell into a hideous pit of mad academic jargon (which I hate and am allergic to). Was confronted - with no protective barrier whatsoever - with the word 'multiperspectival'.

I thought, 'mate, I'm outta here'

Back to crappy popular fiction.

LOL oh boy! If you're really interested I could give you some recommendations, but I'll have to look around!
Enthusiasm much diminished, lol. Also, most of the intro books I saw were American (as in, would not be available in UK shops; I don't shop online). Not much over here. And the UK stuff I did see was stupidly jargon heavy.

I was hoping there would be a 'Very Short Introduction ...' as that series is usually nicely neutral. No such luck.

The other problem was, every search thought I really wanted books on rhetoric as opposed to rhetorical theory. It was annoying.

@staywild23

Well, that didn't last long, lol. Fell into a hideous pit of mad academic jargon (which I hate and am allergic to). Was confronted - with no protective barrier whatsoever - with the word 'multiperspectival'.

I thought, 'mate, I'm outta here'

Back to crappy popular fiction.
I completely understand! Trust me. I can do academic jargon, of course, but I choose a different world entirely lol. I think you'd really be interested in "cultural rhetorics" because that's my main area of interest. Searching Rhetorical theory in general will get you lots of bullshit dead white men spouting off. There are so many others that are much better but you have to dig a little. Super happy to share some stuff with you in the future!

Enthusiasm much diminished, lol. Also, most of the intro books I saw were American (as in, would not be available in UK shops; I don't shop online). Not much over here. And the UK stuff I did see was stupidly jargon heavy.

I was hoping there would be a 'Very Short Introduction ...' as that series is usually nicely neutral. No such luck.

The other problem was, every search thought I really wanted books on rhetoric as opposed to rhetorical theory. It was annoying.

Rhetoric is an amazing academic discipline but it straight up tries to justify its own existence, much like philosophy, which means a lot of gate keeping with academic jargon (something I got into many heated debates about in classes). I promise it's a fascinating field though! Unfortunately you have to weed through a lot of crap lol.

I completely understand! Trust me. I can do academic jargon, of course, but I choose a different world entirely lol. I think you'd really be interested in "cultural rhetorics" because that's my main area of interest. Searching Rhetorical theory in general will get you lots of bullshit dead white men spouting off. There are so many others that are much better but you have to dig a little. Super happy to share some stuff with you in the future!
Funny you should say that. I almost went down the rabbit hole of cultural rhetorics bc I could see that was more relevant to my sudden new interest.

My word for academic jargon - which I understand perfectly but which I absolutely loathe and despise and always will - is unprintable on the board and so must remain forever a mystery (not really, I'm sure you can guess, lol).

Using rhetorical theory as a search term was a bad mistake but I'm too hot to try to do this thing properly. I'd rather moan and complain about the heat and humidity, lol. So much easier!

Rhetoric is an amazing academic discipline but it straight up tries to justify its own existence, much like philosophy, which means a lot of gate keeping with academic jargon (something I got into many heated debates about in classes). I promise it's a fascinating field though! Unfortunately you have to weed through a lot of crap lol.
Yes to all of this but mostly yes to this:

images

It's another one of my 80's classics. There were quite a few. I kinda wanna gather them all together.

Context... I have been sitting with my friend for like an hour while she updates her social media with birthday related things, so I'm legit just sitting here and chatting Rhet theory for some reason (lol) and then you posted this and I screamed, actually vocalized into the world, the "Jesus GOD" reaction above when I saw this gif because GOD HELP ME

Context... I have been sitting with my friend for like an hour while she updates her social media with birthday related things, so I'm legit just sitting here and chatting Rhet theory for some reason (lol) and then you posted this and I screamed, actually vocalized into the world, the "Jesus GOD" reaction above when I saw this gif because GOD HELP ME

Actually, a woman looked at me shocked and asked what happened and I just laughed deranged and there is just no hope for me.

I find this immensely pleasing, lol.

Back