The Brad Sunberg Seminar Leak/Theft of 2023

There's nothing wrong with the Xscape formula, or really, it just is a tolerable compromise
Steve didn't want it. Now all we have is a leak of a still half changed version of the song, with no potential for charting or anything.
It's his right not to want his work being messed with, I don't blame him for that. Let's not forget we didn't get the most recent/finished versions of the demos either.
I have a feeling the decision to include the original demos as a deluxe edition was made after the album was finished.
Looking back on his track record, Branca is legit the worst person to deal with in terms of projects.

Let's not forget we didn't get the most recent/finished versions of the demos either.
I have a feeling the decision to include the original demos as a deluxe edition was made after the album was finished.
L.A Reid was the one with the idea to radically change the music and enlist the modern talent, so, if anything, it might've been the Estates idea to include the originals. Track 1 Love Never Felt So Good was just the 2010 version for Michael. Where they also changed a few tracks significantly, as well. (Slave, She Was Lovin Me, Best of Joy)

I do remember Brian May hating working with the estate so you're right there a bit. It still happened though. Anka's stuff did too. And Paul got to do what he wants. There's really not that much stifling of creatives at all. If you're willing to do what he says, I guess.

Steve can't say he doesn't like them messing with it while also still changing it himself. It doesn't sound just like it did in the 80s, still. But:

There's nothing wrong with preferring the lighter touches, and that's what John Mcclain does. People like his stuff, I do too. But they've changed it and people have liked that too. More money on the table, more audience in the chairs that way. When it's not Michael with the final say, then really both and neither option are valid anyway.

And as for those originals, I don't mind hearing the earliest versions but it would be nice to hear multiples. Most estates (Jimi Hendrix) release multiples in takes of the same songs. Another anthology would not hurt at all.

We all already know Branca doesn't have a creative bone in his entire body though. They should let Mcclain handle that stuff, Branca can lead us through these financial/legal woes and that's all. The only reason we see so much Branca is because John Mcclain is a recluse who hates being in the spotlight. Definitely a friend of Michael, ain't he.

Last edited:
It's his right not to want his work being messed with, I don't blame him for that. Let's not forget we didn't get the most recent/finished versions of the demos either.
I dunno… Bear in mind, he’s also been consistently working on the song since at least 2014. Of course there’s a clear difference between reworking your own song and passing it off to an Estate-sanctioned producer, but even if the song came out with Steve’s permission, we’d be getting his final vision, not Michael’s.

Chicago 1945, I Can't Help It demo, SPYHO Demo and Dream Away. I listen to these more than most of Thriller 40 demo's to be honest

I also like watching the Dangerous tracklist selection video too, it's nice to see the genesis of one of my favourite albums and it's great to see Mike so comfortable and relaxed. A real treasure

I dunno… Bear in mind, he’s also been consistently working on the song since at least 2014. Of course there’s a clear difference between reworking your own song and passing it off to an Estate-sanctioned producer, but even if the song came out with Steve’s permission, we’d be getting his final vision, not Michael’s.
Yeah, it's his song. I don't think anyone here has said that there's anything wrong with the people that created the songs doing what they want with them. I thought Rodney's new mix of Xscape sucked ass and wish it wouldn't have happened., but I'm not gonna say that he didn't have the right to do it.

Willing And Waiting, the demo of SPYHO, Deep In The Night, Family Thing and sometimes Chicago 1945 are the only songs I still listen to. I agree that the laptop leak wasn't all that interesting but that's only because we were already spoiled by LQ seminar recordings beforehand, if it weren't for those it'd be one of the best MJ leaks of all time just for Chicago 1945 alone.

There's nothing wrong with the Xscape formula, or really, it just is a tolerable compromise
Steve didn't want it. Now all we have is a leak of a still half changed version of the song, with no potential for charting or anything.
I like the version we have of C1945 except for two things
1. I don't like the "Chicago, Chicago, Chicago" that was copypasted into the intro of the song...leave it in the bridge where it belongs
2. I wish that he would copypaste the first "who solved that mystery" into all the rest of the choruses because it's the only one that is actually sung in MJ's full chest voice, the others are falsetto.

But IMHO, this kind of "remix" of an unfinished demo is way better than either leaving it unfinished or "modernizing" it the way they did with XSCAPE.

I like the version we have of C1945 except for two things
1. I don't like the "Chicago, Chicago, Chicago" that was copypasted into the intro of the song...leave it in the bridge where it belongs
2. I wish that he would copypaste the first "who solved that mystery" into all the rest of the choruses because it's the only one that is actually sung in MJ's full chest voice, the others are falsetto.

But IMHO, this kind of "remix" of an unfinished demo is way better than either leaving it unfinished or "modernizing" it the way they did with XSCAPE.
Both of those changes would be nice. The copy-paste bridge refrain would be great at the end, as Damien heard it.

If you prefer the lighter touch, that's fine. I can't say I wanna hear a contemporized version of this song, but I wouldn't know. As long as I got a good demo to boot.

The last creative they had was Brody Brown, who would've had a much lighter touch than Timbaland/Stargate anyway. We're past that purely hip-hop/electro wave of '14 anyway.

Both of those changes would be nice. The copy-paste bridge refrain would be great at the end, as Damien heard it.

If you prefer the lighter touch, that's fine. I can't say I wanna hear a contemporized version of this song, but I wouldn't know. As long as I got a good demo to boot.

The last creative they had was Brody Brown, who would've had a much lighter touch than Timbaland/Stargate anyway. We're past that purely hip-hop/electro wave of '14 anyway.
I actually liked the contemporized version of APWNN, I couldn't stand what they did to STTR, DYKWYCA, and BG, though. Yuck.

I actually liked the contemporized version of APWNN, I couldn't stand what they did to STTR, DYKWYCA, and BG, though. Yuck.
I do give the original versions of those equal play. DYKWYCA, I've tried plenty of times to get into, it's kinda grown on me. But the original hits with the pathos best. This version has an interesting, kinda counter rhythm where the others are rhythmic. The opening is actually pretty great though.

Blue Gangsta, I definitely prefer the original, but my friend loves this song so I'm glad it exists. It's not for all tastes but it is for some.

Slave, pretty much a bland song no matter what. It's not a great tune at all. If you need to turn it into straight house to like, but you can't stand any other house remixes, then idk, what are you even vibing with?

APWNN I no longer like beyond the original. It just doesn't move me. I appreciate the Higher Ground/Leave Me Alone riff though.

I do give the original versions of those equal play. DYKWYCA, I've tried plenty of times to get into, it's kinda grown on me. But the original hits with the pathos best. This version has an interesting, kinda counter rhythm where the others are rhythmic. The opening is actually pretty great though.

Blue Gangsta, I definitely prefer the original, but my friend loves this song so I'm glad it exists. It's not for all tastes but it is for some.

Slave, pretty much a bland song no matter what. It's not a great tune at all. If you need to turn it into straight house to like, but you can't stand any other house remixes, then idk, what are you even vibing with?

APWNN I no longer like beyond the original. It just doesn't move me. I appreciate the Higher Ground/Leave Me Alone riff though.
My favorite STTR version is the 2010 one that leaked.

Just by the way that we got GYWOOM and C1945 alone makes it a pretty insane year for leaks. Only way a leak like that can be surpassed is if someone hacks into the Sony servers again and leaks Buffalo Bill or something lol.
Or dates Will I Am and leak the songs from his phone

leaks are the only way to go. the estate won't put out anything we want.

leaks > estate.
Pure greed. Be happy with what you get, despite we all obviously want more.

Michael might not even wanted his unfinished songs to be released anyway.

Let alone people stealing or even robbing HIS personal material (yes his demos) to leak it to the public.

can someone explain to me why the HDs weren't encrypted? how could you not encrypt critical data like this?

I hope Rodney Jerkins would hear the full writer’s demo of You Don’t Love Me and You rock my world that was sung by the late Lashawn daniels

Pure greed. Be happy with what you get, despite we all obviously want more.

Michael might not even wanted his unfinished songs to be released anyway.

If I remember well, I think it was in the making documentary of the Michael album (or it may be another document). It say that Michael had left a legacy for future releases... I don't remember the precise words, hearing that it was almost as if he had left a map and keys...
I think that the Estate (according to articles) had said that there would be enough to release every like 1 album every year or so.

Then, why did the speech over this change transform into something like "nothing should be released"?

If I remember well, I think it was in the making documentary of the Michael album (or it may be another document). It say that Michael had left a legacy for future releases... I don't remember the precise words, hearing that it was almost as if he had left a map and keys...
I think that the Estate (according to articles) had said that there would be enough to release every like 1 album every year or so.

Then, why did the speech over this change transform into something like "nothing should be released"?
The contradictions on how much is left in the vault is such a mistery, some claim enough for 1 album every year, while others say there is nothing left..

The same for what Michael wanted himself with the unreleased material, Some say Michael was a perfectionist and wanted nobody to hear it, others say he left songs for his kids to earn more money.

Does anyone know what the future plans for the estate are on who runs it? Branca is getting older and would Prince be interested to run it? (In terms of planning projects and releases etc.)

I think a big problem after Michael's passing was thesuccess of TII coming so soon. TII was a necessary release and it had to be out before 2010 to help understand what happened. But consequently it caused a problem of "okay what's the next thing?"

I think people at Sony/the record label took Mike at his word when he'd say he'd "record 50 or 60 songs for each album", I think once he said he wrote over a 100. They were just parroting that, rather than checking what they had to hand to release or what they could find.

With hindsight the Estate would have been better served, taking their time, cataloguing everything they could, reaching out to collaborators and getting a better picture of what's left, instead of rushing out anything.

I do think the Tax situation and the impending court case, has somewhat forced them into retreat and perhaps made them a bit more frugal with unreleased material.
Thankfully we've been extremely lucky with leaks in the last 18 months

Back