The Consensus about This Time Around?

This Time Around (Dallas Main Extended Mix)

Dallas Austin is also the producer of the album version.

Most of the Club Mixes are also on YouTube.

There was also a european promo-only CD (SAMPCD 3598). But I don't think the song went anywhere here.
They released it in the US because of the back then huge black music / r&b / hiphop market.

Yeah, I know. In Europe it was a promo single. But in US it was released on the radio to promote One Night Only.

Yeah, I know. In Europe it was a promo single. But in US it was released on the radio to promote One Night Only.

The purpose of that european (non-commercial) promo CD must have been to get radio play as well,
but it just didn't work here. Because of the song or because not enough efforts behind the scenes ..or both.

The purpose of that european (non-commercial) promo CD must have been to get radio play as well,
but it just didn't work here. Because of the song or because not enough efforts behind the scenes ..or both.

But at the same time UK and Europe had Earth song - massive hit! Christmas #1 in UK! They didn't need This Time Around airplay in UK and Europe. They needed it in US because there was no Earth Song there. In Europe it was mixed with Earth Song remixes on some Promo releases. That was done mainly for the clubs and not radio airplay. In US they released it to radio to promote One Night Only but I guess they dropped it after the show was cancelled.

I actually think TTA would've made a great single, especially in the US. And you just know a video would've bad-ass. I don't know why Sony wanted to put out Money as a single. I like it and everything, but it's probably the worst choice on the album for a single, next to Come Together and DS.

I think both This Time Around and Money would do well in US as singles. Definitely better than They Don't Care About Us did. There were some really great remixes of both songs. It could have worked well.

[youtube]W1M6vJKwcJc[/youtube]

Whoooaaaaa Throwback. I haven't heard this in years. Man I really need to dig out my BOTDF album and have a listening session. I feel like that album is overlooked by people outside the fandom.

In Europe it was mixed with Earth Song remixes on some Promo releases.

Hmm, no. That was in the USA.
And only on this one promo CD: http://www.discogs.com/Michael-Jackson-This-Time-Around-Earth-Song/release/989034

In Europe "This Time Around" was only ever released on the HIStory album, the "This Time Around" 5-trk promo-only CD, and then on the "Blood On The Dance Floor" album.

The "Earth Song" Hani Remix was featured on most US singles of "TDCAU" though. Maybe you had that in mind?

The "Earth Song" Hani Remix was featured on most US singles of "TDCAU" though. Maybe you had that in mind?

No, my mistake. I thought about that US 11 track promo cd you posted.

I had a dream about this song last night...

mj_frenzy;4081151 said:
I am curious about the identity of the woman behind the additional, background vocals in the rap verse…

It's some uncredited italian opera sample. Could also be a male singer.

It's almost acapella in the intro of the "UBQ Opera Vibe Dub" remix:

[video=youtube;MhJvH523uNE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhJvH523uNE[/video]

I’d say it’s being slept on. I love the bass, which is brilliant in its laid back funky simplicity. Also love Michael’s vocals (duh!); the way he angrily spits the words out in the verses and the chorus’s backing vocals are exquisite.

Another thing to contemplate is its place in the track list sequence – well placed after the midtempo Stranger in Moscow and before the progressively epic Earth Song. I’ve always had a view of HIStory Continues where there’s a “before (and including) ES” and an “after ditto”, and in that way of seeing things TTA is the perfect track to bridge over to the closing of the disc’s prior part.

It’s… okay. Not bad necessarily, but it doesn’t rise to the level of greatness that the other tracks are at. I also feel like The Notorious B.I.G. was wasted on a subpar track (though his verse is great overall).

I like the TLC vibe. Love the chorus. It's. Great to play loud and to dance to.

That's one thing I hate about how some people critique music, it's supposed to make you move but you sit there, stone faced like a moose with ratty 7 dollar cans on. Like if you don't get off your donkey aaaaa...

It's ok, not one of his best songs to be honest. When I first heard it, and heard him drop the S bomb twice on it, I was shocked. But as time has passed, it's become a skip for me. I'd rather listen to other songs on the album after it.

Not fond of MJ spitting instead singing so not a big fan. The groove is good.

Michael Jackson's attempts in the rap/hip-hop genre were never really convincing.

This is also the case when it comes to the 'This Time Around' song.

'This Time Around' sounds more like an undeveloped musical idea, rather than a complete track.

The groove of 'This Time Around' is also very repetitive, unexciting, mundane, and therefore boring.

Also, unlike some other songs (on the album) with a similar theme (such as 'Scream'), 'This Time Around' does not manage to evoke strong emotions.

It is no wonder that the song did not chart at all on the Billboard Hot 100 during that period.

It would be interesting though to hear the censored rap verse that the American rapper The Notorious B.I.G. wrote and rapped (but Michael Jackson rejected because he preferred the uncensored one).

The groove of 'This Time Around' is also very repetitive, unexciting, mundane, and therefore boring.
If that's the case, how come ringtone rap songs like Laffy Taffy, Stanky Legg, & My White Tee were popular in the USA during the early 2000s? 🤣 Same for the entire reggaeton genre more recently. Also a lot of gospel, blues, disco, house, & funk music is repetitive. Traditional music from African countries is often based on the drum and/or rhythm. That's usually the point of it. James Brown has a lot of songs in the 1970s that just have a rhythmic groove and are often over 10 minutes long. Listen to Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys, it's just a beat and turntable scratching. That came out almost 10 years before This Time Around.

It would be interesting though to hear the censored rap verse that the American rapper The Notorious B.I.G. wrote and rapped (but Michael Jackson rejected because he preferred the uncensored one).
I imagine the same but without the N word. A version I could never enjoy the same way.

I'm black.

If that's the case, how come ringtone rap songs like Laffy Taffy, Stanky Legg, & My White Tee were popular in the USA during the early 2000s? 🤣 Same for the entire reggaeton genre more recently. Also a lot of gospel, blues, disco, house, & funk music is repetitive. Traditional music from African countries is often based on the drum and/or rhythm. That's usually the point of it. James Brown has a lot of songs in the 1970s that just have a rhythmic groove and are often over 10 minutes long. Listen to Paul Revere by the Beastie Boys, it's just a beat and turntable scratching. That came out almost 10 years before This Time Around.
These ringtone rap songs became popular in the USA during the early 2000s for a very specific reason.

They sounded better, compared to the previously standard jingle ringtone sound, which explains why so many people preferred them.

Back