The Daily Weekend News Oct 23 - 25

Re: The Daily Weekend News Oct 23 - 01

Kenny Ortega Interview with CBS

A new interview from CBS with Kenny Ortega to talk about the new movie "This Is It".

Check out this YouTube video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77D8r4ssaRg

[youtube]77D8r4ssaRg[/youtube]

Oh man. This one got me teary for some reason. It's just so wonderful to see the appreciation Michael is getting. At the same time it sucks that this couldn't happen with him alive with the "awe" being about the actual LIVE shows.

loved that interview love Kenny as always but i also loved how respectful the interviewer Harry Smith was also, this is to Harry Smith:clapping:, THANK YOU.:yes::)

loved the interview too and I thought the interviewer evoked such passion in describing what he saw in the film...

ITA. I think that's what got me teary. Finally, Michael is being spoken about with the respect he should've been given all along. Kenny, Travis and Bearden are doing a great job. :)

Regal Entertainment Group Offers Exclusive Commemorative Souvenir for Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT

regthisisitlanyard.jpg

Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC), a leading motion picture exhibitor owning and operating the largest theatre circuit in the United States, announced today that one million moviegoers at theatres nationwide will receive a Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT commemorative "Backstage Pass” and lanyard.

Tickets for Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT are currently on sale at approximately 500 Regal Entertainment Group theatres across the country. The first 2,000 Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT moviegoers at each location will receive the replica "Backstage Pass” and lanyard. They will be distributed at the box office and/or guest service desks beginning October 27 when patrons purchase tickets for Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT or when they redeem their tickets purchased in advance.

"This souvenir ‘Backstage Pass’ is only available at Regal Entertainment Group theatres. Thanks to Regal’s partnership with Sony, one million moviegoers will enjoy the new film and for no additional cost they can take home this keepsake,” stated Dick Westerling, Senior Vice President of Marketing and Advertising for Regal Entertainment Group. "Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT will certainly be an exciting worldwide movie event and Regal is pleased to offer fans this limited-edition item to commemorate the occasion.”

Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT will offer Jackson fans and music lovers worldwide a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts that would have taken place beginning this past summer in London’s O2 Arena. Covering the months from March through June, 2009, the film is produced with the full support of the Estate of Michael Jackson and drawn from more than 120 hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing numerous songs for the show. Audiences will be given a privileged and private look at Jackson as he has never been seen before. In raw and candid detail, Michael Jackson’s THIS IS IT is the last documentation of Michael Jackson in action, capturing the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, creative genius, and great artist at work as he and his collaborators move toward their goals of London, the O2, and history. The film is directed by Kenny Ortega and produced by Randy Phillips, Kenny Ortega, and Paul Gongaware. The film will be distributed worldwide by Sony Pictures Releasing. Michael Jackson's THIS IS IT is rated PG for some suggestive choreography and scary images. For updated information including locations, showtimes and to purchase tickets online, visit www.REGmovies.com.

About Regal Entertainment Group
Regal Entertainment Group (NYSE: RGC) is the largest motion picture exhibitor in the United States. The Company's theatre circuit, comprising Regal Cinemas, United Artists Theatres and Edwards Theatres, operates 6,775 screens in 548 locations in 39 states and the District of Columbia. Regal operates theatres in all of the top 32 and 44 of the top 50 U.S. designated market areas. We believe that the size, reach and quality of the Company's theatre circuit not only provide its patrons with a convenient and enjoyable movie-going experience, but is also an exceptional platform to realize economies of scale in theatre operations. Additional information is available on the Company's Web site at www.REGmovies.com.

http://newsticker.welt.de/?module=smarthouse&id=956825

Uh oh. Looks like Imma have to buy another ticket...at a Regal Cinema, this time. :lol: Looks like a nice movie keepsake. Thanks for sharing.

Great news thread! Thanks to all for the news and mentionings. :flowers:

So much news today. I love it! Can you guys imagine the media Tuesday night/Wednesday. There will be new stories and pictures being issued every minute.

Yeah can't wait!!!

Makes me feel like Michael is still here and prefer it to feel that way and not think too deeply that he isn't. As long as his legacy is alive and pumping, Michael will never not be here. :)

Re: Global Tribute to Michael Jackson to revive 'Thriller'

I really hope these tributes make international news at 6pm. Would be awesome! :)

I'll (hopefully) be at the Tampa one at the YMCA!

I am planning on going to the one at the Pier in downtown St.Petersburg, FL

I'm going to the one in Ft Worth, Texas... over 500 people are expected to show.

Jackson family lawyer hints at 'new evidence' in battle for estate

Katherine Jackson's battle for control of her pop star son's estate is about to take a "new direction" based on "new evidence" uncovered by the family, a Jackson family lawyer said.
art.michael.katherine.jackson.gi.jpg
Katherine Jackson, with Michael in 2005, is challenging the appointment of Michael's estate trustees.

corner_wire_BL.gif

The revelation came from attorney Londell McMillan, who also corrected a report that he was one of the lawyers Katherine Jackson replaced Thursday.
McMillan pointed to questions about the authenticity of the signature on Michael Jackson's will as reported this week by celebrity gossip Web site TMZ.
Randy Jackson said his brother could not have signed the will -- which was dated July 7, 2002, in Los Angeles -- because he was in New York that day, according to the TMZ report.
Until now, the Jacksons have not challenged the will's authenticity in court.
Katherine Jackson's objections, instead, have centered on what her lawyers said were possible conflicts of interest by the two men named in the will as executors.
She replaced the two lawyers who were handling the probate case Thursday with Adam Streisand, an estate litigation lawyer whose past clients have included the estates of Marlon Brando and Ray Charles.
"The case is now moving in a different direction, and the family thought it was best to bring on Adam Streisand's law firm," McMillan said. "The evidence precipitated the change and the need to take it in a new direction."
Contrary to statements made at court Thursday, McMillan was not one of the lawyers replaced, Katherine Jackson said Friday.

"Londell McMillan remains my personal attorney and counsel," she said in a written statement. "Despite false reports, he was never replaced or terminated."
The Jackson estate is currently controlled by John Branca and John McClain, who would become permanent executors unless Jackson's will is challenged.
Katherine Jackson's legal team has asked that a member of the Jackson family "have a seat at the table" as a third executor.
Under the 2002 will, Michael Jackson's three children and his mother are the chief beneficiaries of his estate, while unnamed charities will share in 20 percent of the wealth.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/10/23/michael.jackson.estate/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

Re: Jackson family lawyer hints at 'new evidence' in battle for estate

All I know is that the Jacksons are going to LOSE the estate & the MJ3 if they keep up their greedy azz plan.

If Michael wanted Ms Katherine to have a " seat at the table", he would have given it to her in his will. He did not. And now I see why he did not.

All I know is that the Jacksons are going to LOSE the estate & the MJ3 if they keep up their greedy azz plan.

let's start praying :angel:

If Michael wanted Ms Katherine to have a " seat at the table", he would have given it to her in his will. He did not. And now I see why he did not.

Exactly. Because as well meaning as Mother Katherine is, she'll always bend towards the will of Joe & the greedy of the Jackson siblings.

Despite what her beloved MJ wanted, or what MJ wants for his children, Katherine is going to piss on MJs wishes should she challenge that will - all because she's letting Joe & Randy & others run the show.

Oh well, when the Jacksons piss off the judge enough to invoke the "no-contest" clause on Katherine, thus losing her 40% and giving everything to the kids, don't say we didn't tell you so.

"The case is now moving in a different direction, and the family thought it was best to bring on Adam Streisand's law firm," McMillan said. "The evidence precipitated the change and the need to take it in a new direction."

Yep. Sure isn't looking good...

icon1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Incorporated
Evidence which will be thrown out of court.

MJ's will is SOLID.

Location doesn't matter.

3 witnesses, and who knows, maybe even a videotape of MJ signing the document - wil shut their asses up.

But let's just imagine for a moment that the will is invalidated, both the 1997 & 2002 will - all is lost for the Jacksons.

And if that happens, Debbie, go get your kids plus beautiful Blanket!

It's time for Janet & Jermaine & Randy and the others to pay for Katherine's bills!

Joe?? Pssst, you also owe spousal support.

where are they getting the bloody money from to pay these high powered lawyers? if they are strapped for cash, I would think they would be a little more careful.
God, why did you have to take Michael now when his children are so young?
I am really beginning to get worried.
I can just imagine what Michael had to go through when he was alive.

West Palm Beach dancer once a part of Michael Jackson’s concert troupe now appears at tributes for t

West Palm Beach dancer once a part of Michael Jackson’s concert troupe now appears at tributes for the late pop star

This week, Kriyss Grant will make his big-screen debut behind the man whom some called music’s greatest entertainer, in the season’s most eagerly awaited film.

jackson_rotator.jpg

Around the world Tuesday night, excited throngs will rush to midnight showings of its premiere, and locally, hundreds will attend Grant’s live pre-movie performance at the Muvico Parisian 20 in CityPlace, and then everyone will stream into the theater.

Everyone but Kriyss Grant.

“I’m not looking forward to seeing it,” he says of This Is It, the documentary culled from footage of the late Michael Jackson’s planned series of 50 concerts in London.

“I was there and experienced what I experienced, so I want to see it on my own. People will be watching me watch it. I can wait for the DVD.”

When the 21-year-old West Palm Beach resident talks about Jackson, he sometimes speaks haltingly, softly. Sometimes he refers to the late singer in the present tense, like you do when you lose someone you’re close to, and for an instant you forget they’re gone. A lot of people think of Jackson that way, but when Grant talks about him, he’s not just waxing nostalgically about an icon.

He’s talking about the man who was, briefly, his boss.

And when he talks about This Is It, he’s talking about a lot of should have, could have and never will be.

“I don’t know. I have mixed emotions about it,” says Grant, one of 12 dancers who were to have appeared behind Jackson in London. “It was supposed to be a tour. But it ended up being a movie.”

The graduate of G-Star School of the Arts was supposed to have spent the summer appearing in the most hyped show on earth, performing with the man he considers his first teacher, whose magical Moonwalk first made him want to dance.

He was supposed to have interpreted the legend’s music in front of the entire world, but the closest he got was dancing at Jackson’s televised memorial service at Los Angeles’ Staples Center, behind Jennifer Hudson and, later, the entire Jackson family.

He also appeared with his fellow dancers and Janet Jackson, Michael’s sister, in a tribute to the late icon at MTV’s Video Music Awards.

“It was hard for Janet, and hard for us,” he says. “But this whole thing was for him.”

In a way, Grant’s whole career has been inspired by Michael Jackson. No one who knows him is surprised that he wound up working for him.

“His dream was just to meet him, but he never dreamed of being able to perform for him. He just wanted to meet him!” says Grant’s mother, Tabitha Pizarro. “I’m just happy he reached one of his goals. And it was at a significant time – who knew Michael was gonna pass (away)?”

acc-grant--300x459.jpg

Kriyss Grant center performs at the Michael Jackson public memorial service held at Staples Center on July 7, 2009 in Los Angeles, California. AP

Choreographer Sean Green of local studio Sean’s Dance Factory, who added Grant to his crew when the dancer was just 14 years old, says Grant “never wanted to be labeled as someone’s backup dancer … but to be Michael Jackson’s backup dancer was OK!”

Born in The Bronx, Grant moved to Palm Beach County with his mother when he was 12. By then, he had been dancing for a decade.

“He started dancing when he was 2, on beat, with all the grown-ups,” Pizarro says. “I knew dancing was gonna be his future. And at the age of 6, he really began to idolize Michael. Everything was Michael. He would go into his room, watch the videos and taught himself to dance.”

“I would just dance, dance, dance,” Grant remembers. “I had just never seen anybody like him. He had such a presence on TV. I would see so much emotion there, and I wanted to be exactly like him. Everybody knew me as that Michael Jackson kid. Other kids wanted to be a Power Ranger or an action figure. I wanted to be Michael. Everybody called me ‘the Michael Jackson kid.’“

The icon was very much on Grant’s mind when he showed up at auditions for one of Green’s Dance Factory shows. Green says he had heard about this talented kid named Kriyss, who turned out to be “this little scrawny boy who said, ‘Can I do a Michael Jackson part?’ I had never seen him dance before, but we cleared the stage and played the music – it was a medley, including Smooth Criminal. And he ripped it.”

Grant joined Green’s troupe, performing at events such as Clematis By Night, and never failing to impress his leader. He didn’t like doing ballet – “he hated being in tights” – but he was “always so professional at that age, before his time. He was very sharp and detailed. He could be in a group of seven, and all eyes go to Kriyss.”

After high school, Grant dedicated himself fully to his career by auditioning for, and landing, a part on MTV’s Making the Band, where he and other young hopefuls vied for a spot in a group produced by Sean “Diddy” Combs. Repeatedly pointed out on the show as the best dancer of the group, Grant was nevertheless cut when it was determined he needed to work on his singing.

That’s what he did, “going full out” by getting a vocal coach, while continuing to work on his dancing.

His next big break was also MTV-related. He appeared on Randy Jackson Presents: America’s Best Dance Crew with a group of dancers, but they got cut early.

In the meantime, he was teaching and choreographing, until yet another MTV opportunity presented itself, in the form of yet another Jackson – Janet. The network was developing a show with the singer that never happened.

But that disappointment “just made me work harder,” which paid off when he was contacted by Beyoncé Knowles’ manager, who looked him up after seeing him on Making the Band. Grant worked with Knowles for about six months, and was planning to go on her tour as a dance captain, when he “heard all this talk about Michael coming back with a tour,” he says. “I thought, ‘Hmm … I want to do that!’ I was getting paid fine (with Beyoncé), but she said, ‘You should do it!’“

With Beyoncé’s permission, Grant became one of about 380 dancers to audition for Jackson’s producers, including director Kenny Ortega, and stayed in the mix through two auditions as the field was narrowed. At his third, he and the other hopefuls looked out into the audience and saw a man dressed all in black, “walking in like the president, with six bodyguards. We were all like, ‘Who is that?’ But as soon as we saw the hair, we knew it was Michael. And we all started messing up.”

Grant says he made a quick decision to “throw out the choreography” and just wing it – “Michael wants to feel you onstage,” he says. “I just thought, ‘I deserve to be on this tour.’“

Apparently, he wasn’t the only one who thought so. He was one of the first to be picked for the final tour and, with the other dancers, went straight into rehearsals at the Staples Center. Grant says the choreography for the eight or nine numbers the dancers would have participated in was a mixture of new steps and ones from Jackson’s back catalog, including Smooth Criminal, Bad and Thriller.

The work was challenging, and the boss was exacting.

“In the beginning, Michael was very shy. He would come and just wave,” Grant remembers. “He told us, at first, not to go full out – ‘Save your legs. Don’t give it away. Save it for the road.’ But as soon as the music would come on, he would hit it full out. … His moves were about passion and power, and the feelings behind them. He didn’t just want dancers. He wanted more than that from us.”

Eventually, as Jackson felt more comfortable with the crew, his playful side came out. Grant describes him as “very funny, very loud. He loved to have fun, and he always told us, ‘If you’re not having fun, what’s the point of doing it? Don’t call it work.’ Kenny (Ortega) would be talking, and Michael would be behind him, moving around and mocking him like a little kid. Kenny would say, ‘Michael, are you listening?’ He was just normal.”

Grant says that in those last days of rehearsal, he didn’t see anything in Jackson’s behavior or physical ability that would have signaled that his energy was flagging, or that he wasn’t up to the work. In fact, toward the end, Jackson was increasingly “giving it his all,” Grant says. “Everything that people said about him not wanting to do this – none of that was true.”

The young dancer had recently gotten some exciting news – he would be dancing as Jackson’s body double during the Dirty Diana number. During the morning of June 25, Grant was working with the female dancer portraying Diana, when he and the others began to hear rumors that Jackson was in the hospital. They shrugged it off and kept working.

Then the phone calls started – “Michael’s in a coma. Michael’s not breathing. Is he dead?” Grant remembers. “We started getting worried. It happened so fast.”

Soon, director Ortega’s phone rang, and from a distance “you could see his whole body collapse. … Finally, his assistant said, ‘He’s gone,’ and started crying.”

Grant pauses, takes a deep breath.

“I don’t like to talk about it,” he continues, softly. “We felt he was gone. You know how it is when someone passes away. The whole Staples Center felt like there was a ghost there.”

After Jackson’s death, Grant wanted “to run away” back to West Palm Beach, but his mother encouraged him to stay in Los Angeles to see the process through. He and the other dancers were asked to be involved in the memorial service, first performing the emotional ballad Will You Be There with Hudson, “which was hard for me. During the rehearsal, I just couldn’t do it. When we were doing the sad songs, I just couldn’t handle it.”

His big performance was supposed to have been about celebrating with Michael.

“We were waiting for that first day, that first prayer with Michael before the show,” Grant says. “But it’s all a lesson learned. We have to find our own lesson (in this) in our own time.”

Even though time has passed, and though Grant is back in West Palm Beach working on his next career move, reminders of what might have been, including This Is It, are everywhere. Grant says he believes Jackson wanted the rehearsals shot as behind-the-scenes footage for the inevitable tour DVD, but that the performer never intended for most of it to be public.

In fact, he wonders what Jackson, a noted perfectionist, would think of all this.

“Michael doesn’t like his rehearsals to be out,” he says. “He doesn’t like to show the process. He wants people to see the finished product. … I just hope (the movie) shows the real Michael, and isn’t (being released) just to make money off it. I hope it balances out and makes people understand, to feel what we felt. … In it, you’re going to see a lot of involvement from Michael, him being in charge.”

Grant is taking charge of his own career. He’s still taking vocal lessons, is working to start an indie label and is recording what he calls “a mix tape. … I learned from Michael not to let people distract you.”

And even though he doesn’t want to wind up as someone’s backup dancer, he is very grateful for the time when, briefly, he was.

“I want to show what I learned from him, his teaching me that anything is possible,” Grant says. “I made it this far, to meet the greatest. … I always said I was gonna dance with him. And I finally did it.”

http://www.pbpulse.com/gossip/celeb...ow-appears-at-tributes-for-the-late-pop-star/

Distributor of Michael Jackson memorabilia gets prison for tax evasion

Distributor of Michael Jackson memorabilia gets prison for tax evasion

HARTFORD, Conn. - A Carmel businessman whose company distributes Michael Jackson memorabilia was sentenced to two years in prison for tax evasion.

Eugene Cappello, 57, admitted he dodged more than $200,000 he owed to the Internal Revenue Service by having paychecks issued to a family member who then deposited funds in bank accounts Cappello controlled. While underreporting his income to the IRS, Cappello used the hidden cash to buy a $34,781 country club membership and a $91,000 yacht.

Cappello owns Connecticut Marketing and Consulting, a company that sells Chinese-made Michael Jackson memorabilia to a company called Bravado, which has exclusive rights to sell such items connected to the deceased singer.

Cappello also has done the same for tours involving the Rolling Stones, Rob Zombie and another dozen bands, according to court papers filed by his lawyer, David Moraghan. In those papers, Moraghan asked U.S. District Judge Alvin Thompson to sentence Cappello to probation.

"He has suffered not only financially," Moraghan wrote, "but he has been humiliated as a result of the publicity inherent with a conviction."

Cappello pleaded guilty in August to tax evasion and illegally structuring money transactions.

Federal prosecutors asked Judge Alvin Thompson to sentence Cappello to the agreed upon range of 24 to 30 months, noting that at the same time Cappello was evading taxes he was living a "lavish lifestyle."

"This is an egregious case of tax evasion that warrants a period of incarceration," Assistant U.S. Attorney Raymond Miller wrote in a memorandum to Thompson.

In addition to the prison term, Cappello has also paid the IRS more than $400,000 in back taxes, penalties and interest.

http://www.lohud.com/article/200910...ckson-memorabilia-gets-prison-for-tax-evasion

Warhol portrait of Michael Jackson up for auction

Warhol portrait of Michael Jackson up for auction

LOS ANGELES — Christie's auction house will offer up a portrait of Michael Jackson by Andy Warhol in New York on Nov. 10.

The auction house told The Associated Press on Friday that the 30-by-26-inch portrait should fetch an estimated $500,000 to $700,000. It's one of a small group of Warhol silk-screened images of Jackson created in 1984.

The painting depicts Jackson smiling in a "Thriller"-era jacket, with squiggles of red and yellow in his hair.

Deputy chairman Brett Gorvy says the seller is an anonymous private collector in New York who bought it from the Andy Warhol Foundation in the 1990s.

The image is part of 47 lots being auctioned, including two other Warhol paintings.

A New York art gallery sold a similar Warhol portrait of Jackson in August to an anonymous buyer. The gallery would not disclose the price, but said it was more than a million dollars.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iRJBxFL-0IXprkBcLxPD-i5pZ9MgD9BH2I3O0

Umm...how does a "banned" member add posts???

I'm just sayin :scratch:

NY Daily News - Jim Farber

I'm not sure if this article has been posted already. I searched and couldn't find it...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...it_shows_michael_jackson_was_at_his_best.html

Sneak peek of 'This Is It' shows Michael Jackson was at his best

Jim Farber

A thriller it is.

A sneak peak at Michael Jackson's top-secret "This Is It" documentary-style concert-rehearsal film shows the King of Pop in regal form, mapping out dance moves while confidently singing his classic songs.

The film, which doesn't open until Tuesday at midnight in a simultaneous burst around the world, has been kept under wraps.

But 12 minutes of the Sony Pictures movie were shown yesterday, including two vintage numbers that firmly establish Jackson as a performer still in control of his talents in the last days of his life.

In the first number - the 1983 ballad "Human Nature" - Jackson navigates his falsetto vocal with the sweet grace of his youth.

There's effort here, too. We see Jackson working over, and over, his dance moves with a perfectionist's concentration.

Jackson appears stick-thin but strong and sinewy as he flicks his feet, and pulls his famous twirls with panache.

The second number - the propulsive 1987 song "The Way You Make Me Feel" - gets a splashier treatment.

It opens with a high-toned backdrop of the New York skyline, centered on the Chrysler Building, as dancers perched on a series of dramatically placed risers appear among the city's water towers and spires.

Jackson arrives onstage below, focusing attention on himself by snapping his fingers in an ode to "West Side Story."

The star begins the song gracefully, elongating the notes and measuring his dance moves to create a sense of sustained anticipation. Then, at last, the piece explodes into the faster, funkier rhythm that made it famous.

"This Is It" can't be considered any kind of concert film.

Instead, we see composites of shots that display a shifting array of bespangled costumes and springy moves.

Fluidly integrated music smooths things into a whole. The effect isn't jumpy and establishes a rhythm of its own. The result draws viewers into the process of creating a piece of choreography worthy of being seen by no fewer than 1 million fans.

That's how many people bought tickets for the aborted "This Is It" concerts, which were set to open in London's O2 Arena, just two weeks after Jackson's sudden death on June 25.

The movie is composed of rehearsal footage for the shows, shot between March and June.

The movie has been marketed much like a concert, with shows limited to a two-week run.

If the whole movie has the drama of the first footage, it may well take on a longer life of its own.

jfarber@nydailynews.com

Re: NY Daily News - Jim Farber

I'm not sure if this article has been posted already. I searched and couldn't find it...

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...it_shows_michael_jackson_was_at_his_best.html

Sneak peek of 'This Is It' shows Michael Jackson was at his best

Jim Farber

A thriller it is.

A sneak peak at Michael Jackson's top-secret "This Is It" documentary-style concert-rehearsal film shows the King of Pop in regal form, mapping out dance moves while confidently singing his classic songs.

The film, which doesn't open until Tuesday at midnight in a simultaneous burst around the world, has been kept under wraps.

But 12 minutes of the Sony Pictures movie were shown yesterday, including two vintage numbers that firmly establish Jackson as a performer still in control of his talents in the last days of his life.

In the first number - the 1983 ballad "Human Nature" - Jackson navigates his falsetto vocal with the sweet grace of his youth.

There's effort here, too. We see Jackson working over, and over, his dance moves with a perfectionist's concentration.

Jackson appears stick-thin but strong and sinewy as he flicks his feet, and pulls his famous twirls with panache.

jfarber@nydailynews.com

Blah...liar. This is an attempt to 'cover up the grim truth'.

A thriller it is NOT

/snark

CNN: Jackson's 'This Is It' moved friends to tears

CNN: Jackson's 'This Is It' moved friends to tears

New York (CNN) -- For Kenny Ortega, Travis Payne and Michael Bearden, "it" is a bittersweet feeling.

The three men expected to be spending their time this summer and fall working on Michael Jackson's concert engagement at London's O2 Arena, which was scheduled to begin in July. Instead, they are talking about Jackson's last days and the new movie about that time, "This Is It."

I got to sit down with all three of them to talk about "This Is It," the movie that they've made from rehearsal and backstage footage of Jackson, shot just before he died June 25. The film, which has been dominating advance ticket sale outlets, opens wide on Wednesday.

The full movie wasn't screened for critics, with only 12 minutes of footage available to the media before the interviews. But from what I've seen and what director Ortega told me, it tries to blend backstage footage with the performance to give an inside glimpse of those last days at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California.

The scenes show the superstar working on his dance moves, figuring out choreography, practicing on stage and running the show. From the clips, there's no question that Jackson was in charge. His physicality is vibrant: At one point, he dances with a troupe of top-notch hoofers and keeps up with all of them. There's no indication of the infirmities that would ultimately take his life.

All three men -- Payne was the show's choreographer and Bearden its music supervisor -- stressed to me how they wanted this movie to represent the Jackson they knew.

"It was an honor project," Bearden said.

According to Ortega, the film is for the fans. He said he was inundated with e-mails from fans wanting to know just what Jackson had planned for the concerts he would never give.

Above all, they said they were concerned about Jackson's three children. They said that they wanted to make a film that his kids -- Prince Michael, Paris and "Blanket" -- would be able to see in years to come that would make them proud of their father.

Though the men acknowledged a heavy responsibility, there were light moments during the interviews.

Payne and Bearden both smiled as they talked about working for the King of Pop and how he'd try to tell people what he wanted.

"I know you mean well, but ..." Jackson would say as he corrected colleagues, they recalled.

But all of them talked about he emotional toll that making this film has taken on them.

There were "a lot of tissue moments on this film," Bearden said.

Ortega added that he didn't know whether he could handle the emotional stress involved in making this movie so quickly.

Ultimately, according to Ortega, the movie proved to be cathartic.

"I thought I'd collapse," Ortega said. "I thought I'll never get through it, it's too hard, it's too soon, but in fact it was healing and helpful."

He hopes Jackson's fans will feel the same way.

Check out also video in the following link:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/24/jackson.thisisit/

Yes I think they might even extend the two weeks viewing.

Here in Tampa, there are radio announcements of This Is It that said "due to popular demand - extended engagements"

I'll be honest, I'm quite happy about this since the first time the movie was announced, everything sold out the first few days.

Today is Saturday. I love Saturdays!!

Today in
Michael Jackson History

1987 - Michael Jackson's single "Bad" hit #1 in the U.S. and #3 in the U.K

badSingle.jpg

Michael Jackson still big with 'This Is It'

Michael Jackson still big with 'This Is It'

Like Elvis Presley, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Marley, Kurt Cobain and Tupac Shakur, Michael Jackson is just beginning his career as Pop Star Who Will Never Really Die. His movie "This Is It," based on rehearsal footage for the tour he was supposed to begin in July, comes out tonight, and his first posthumous album, the movie soundtrack, is also out. Four months after his death, he's one of the most active performers in the music business, and he's up for five American Music Awards, too.

MORE MUSIC "This Is It," a lovesick ballad - co-written with Paul Anka - with slinky funk guitar and strings, is Jackson's first "new" song since he died. And it just happens to share a title with the movie. The song is actually one of the hundreds of unreleased tracks he left in the vaults, according to estimates from Sony Music executives, and surely just the beginning of a flood of new releases. Before his death, Jackson recorded with R&B star Akon and the Black Eyed Peas' will.i.am, among other hot producers, but it's unclear when that music will reach the public.

THE FILMA 12-minute clip for the film was previewed for the media last week, showing Jackson practicing and singing in fine form, according to The Associated Press. Though the King of Pop looked frail, he playfully danced with a woman as he sang "The Way You Make Me Feel" and was shown warming up during a performance of "Human Nature."

REALITY SETS IN Before Jackson's death, ex-Jackson 5 singers Jackie, Jermaine, Tito and Marlon were filming the A&E reality show "The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty." It's still supposed to air in December - and is likely to be a bigger ratings bonanza than it was before June 25. The preshow drama: Will Jackson's three children - Prince (12), Paris (11) and Blanket (7) - appear? A&E reps first said "no" but later pleaded too-soon-to-tell.

MARK YOUR CALENDAR Speaking of Jermaine Jackson, the singer is still planning a tribute show, "In Memory of Michael Jackson," in London next June. "Several leading artists" will participate, Jermaine writes on thetribute2010.com, and the still-to-be-announced venue will hold 70,000 people. If this thing actually comes together, here's hoping Pia Zadora will show up to revisit "When the Rain Begins to Fall," her smash 1985 duet with Jermaine.ESTATE BATTLE The battle for Jackson's estate remains in limbo. On one side, his court-appointed executors, attorney John Branca and music-business veteran John McClain, have made massive deals worth $100 million, much of it from the "This Is It" movie. On the other, Jackson's mother, Katherine, has been complaining that her family lacks "a seat at the table," and has been shuffling attorneys to help her gain more control in L.A. courts.

DEATH CAN'T STOP HIM Jackson has sold 5.9 million solo albums since his death - provoking sad flashbacks to 1982, when "Thriller" all but pulled the record business out of a recession. "Without a doubt, [Jackson's death] helped the music industry," says Silvio Pietroluongo, Billboard's charts director. "But the lifeblood of the music industry is new acts, and you can't rely on these kinds of occurrences to sustain an industry." Jackson is likely to be the bestselling artist of 2009; album sales overall are down 20 percent, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

WHEN|WHERE

"This Is It" opens for a two-week run at area theaters beginning midnight tonight. The two-disc soundtrack hit stores Monday.

http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/music/michael-jackson-still-big-with-this-is-it-1.1545256

Goodall: Chimps' plight inspired Jackson's 'Heal the World'

Goodall: Chimps' plight inspired Jackson's 'Heal the World'

story.goodall.gi.jpg

Jane Goodall, a famed primatologist, said Jackson
liked to hear stories about animals and their habitats.

Mamoni Valley Preserve, Panama (CNN) -- A famed primatologist says the plight of chimpanzees helped inspire Michael Jackson to write the song "Heal the World."

But the theme and the lyrics of the song turned out to be about a better world for humanity.

"He wrote what he told me he thought was his most powerful song ever, but it didn't end up for animals," Jane Goodall said in a CNN interview Thursday night.

Goodall spoke exclusively to CNN in a Panamanian rain forest where she is exploring a partnership on behalf of Roots & Shoots, her global youth education program.

The interview comes as a new version of the song, first released on Jackson's 1991 "Dangerous" album, is being recorded by a collection of artists for release in late October.

Goodall became friends with Jackson about 20 years ago when he invited her to his Neverland Ranch, where "he talked about his dreams for the place to have animals running, looking free like they would in the wild. ... It was just a very charming day, very low key, nobody else was there," she said.

Goodall, famous for her 50 years of groundbreaking research on chimpanzees in Africa, said Jackson invited her because "he loved what I did."

"He loved chimpanzees," she said. "He loved to watch them feeding. He liked their faces. They made him smile."

Years later, she met Jackson's chimp, Bubbles, and has visited him at his retirement refuge in Florida, she said.

"He's extremely handsome," she said. "He's a beautiful, beautiful chimp. So, he was rescued in time from this life of being inappropriately dressed up and carted around like a little symbol."

Goodall, whose life has been spent understanding chimpanzees, said she found Jackson to be "a sad person."

"In some ways, he was like a child, and a very sweet and gentle child, and he wanted me to tell him many, many stories," she said. "Stories about the chimpanzees, the forests, animals, anything. He told me he liked the way I told stories."

Goodall, who travels the world to promote protection of endangered chimps, said she had hoped Jackson would help get her message out.

"I said to him, 'You know, Michael, if you want to help, you could do a concert and give us a percentage. Or much better, write a song,' " she said.

Jackson asked her for tapes of animals in distress because "he wanted to be angry and cry" as he wrote the song, which became "Heal the World," she said.

The original CD cover notes credited Goodall for inspiring the song, she said.

But, she added, the Jane Goodall Institute never saw any money from the song.

Jackson later created the "Heal the World Foundation," which he funded with a series of concerts. The group delivered millions of dollars of relief to children around the world.

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/24/ent.jackson.goodall/

Young dancers follow in Michael Jackson's footsteps

Young dancers follow in Michael Jackson's footsteps

TH1_NWMR-2310-24-2210-110231.jpg

YOUNG dancers performed a sell-out show including a tribute to Michael Jackson.
The Sharron Mallinson School of Dance presented Musical Magic with a medley of songs as a tribute to the late superstar.

The troupe, which has about 50 members, also performed songs from musicals including Oliver!, Les Miserables, Chicago and Dream Girls.

Sharron said she was very proud of all her dancers who had worked hard to get the dance routines right.

http://www.mirfieldreporter.co.uk/news/Young-dancers-follow-in-Michael.5758808.jp

Back