The Estate "has numerous projects in development."

All valid points. We simply just don't know right now. Back in 2012 the estate were still searching the archives. It's possible they may have found something in the past 5 years. They were able to let Spike Lee see and use some of the digitized archivall footage for the APOM edit. That film footage probably wasn't digitized until bad 25.

I wonder why the Man in the Mirror part wasn't in HD in Bad 25? APOM was but no MITM. They just used footage from the Wembley DVD.

Loving You was a great re-work.. Did not stray much from the original sound, brought out a more finished/polished sound.. making it 'hit' a little more and that was it. I could imagine Loving You being released as they worked on it by Mike. or at least close to it

Loving You was excellently done. Had Timbaland/J-Roc put as much effort into their other mixes as that one, I feel like they could've knocked the whole album out of the park. (Coincidental that Loving You is also the one song where Timbaland insists he heard Michael's voice in his head saying, "This isn't good. You can do better.")

The only rework that truly misses the mark entirely is Blue Gangsta. Fantastic verses, atrocious chorus. DYKWYCA isn't completely terrible, mostly due to the two guitar solos and extra vocals, but it isn't 1/8 as good as the 2010 version.

Every other remix is either on par with or better than the demo imo.

Loving You was excellently done. Had Timbaland/J-Roc put as much effort into their other mixes as that one, I feel like they could've knocked the whole album out of the park. (Coincidental that Loving You is also the one song where Timbaland insists he heard Michael's voice in his head saying, "This isn't good. You can do better.")

This ^ I agree completely.
It made me feel sick when I heard Tim did a "remix - a day" as it were. These are some of the last remaining full MJ vocals available, they should have been given the time and respect they deserve.

I wonder why the Man in the Mirror part wasn't in HD in Bad 25? APOM was but no MITM. They just used footage from the Wembley DVD.

I have no idea tbh. I watched bad 25 in cinema and Man in the mirror looked awful.

Yeah. Would make sense to use film footage if they have it. They must at least have unused footage from Moonwalker.

now that we are talking about spike lee, what really bothers me besides not using film MITM footage on Bad 25, is that he didn't include a full Triumph tour song on from Motown to OTW, i didn't buy the blu ray just because of that. snippets aint worth s***.

Did Man In The Mirror look better to anyone on the Bad Wembley release than it did on Bad 25? Was the Bad 25 footage raw?

If they had a better quality performance of it, at the time, from the Bad era they'd have used it I suspect...

Did Man In The Mirror look better to anyone on the Bad Wembley release than it did on Bad 25? Was the Bad 25 footage raw?

If they had a better quality performance of it, at the time, from the Bad era they'd have used it I suspect...

It looked the same to me. Viewing a VHS on a big cinema screen will not look good no matter what you do lol. I think they wanted to promote wembley so that's probably why they didn't use the moonwalker footage. Spike should've made a different edit of Man in the mirror just like he did for APOM.

The only rework that truly misses the mark entirely is Blue Gangsta. Fantastic verses, atrocious chorus. DYKWYCA isn't completely terrible, mostly due to the two guitar solos and extra vocals, but it isn't 1/8 as good as the 2010 version.

Every other remix is either on par with or better than the demo imo.

This. Blue Gangsta and DYKWYCA remixes are both terrible and Chicago remix is ok but the other remixes are very good and deserve more love especially the APWNN one which is brilliant.

^ There are things things I like about all the mixes in Xscape for example I liked having an acapella sound in blue gangsta, and the instrumental in DYKWYCA, I really think Michael would have loved it.. But not for such a serious song.. the video game sound is so different Mike I think would have digged it and used it for something else .

^ I really think Michael would have loved it.. But not for such a serious song.. the video game sound is so different Mike I think would have digged it and used it for something else .

I agree with this. I think Mike would have liked the instrumental but not for such a serious song. It's as if Tim didn't care about the message Michael was trying to convey. I picture him being like, "hey I've got this video game style instrumental I really want to use, let's just fit this round this song"
The instrumental is okay but it's a bit too much for me, like most of Tim's mixes on this record.

It looked the same to me. Viewing a VHS on a big cinema screen will not look good no matter what you do lol.

Yeah, obviously. Though I never saw Bad 25 in a cinema so I'm just comparing the Wembley DVD with the Bad 25 blu-ray. It could purely be the context though as when I watch Bad 25 I think it looks horrible but when I watch Wembley I think it looks okay.

However I feel like Bad 25 was finished up a lot earlier than the Estate announcing the restoring they were doing of the tapes. I could be wrong.

They should make a remastered version of the Moonwalker game and release it digitally on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC. Like Capcom did with DuckTales game few years ago:

The graphics are completely remade and the game looks great. They also added new things. They could also add things like new levels and outfits from other short films to Moonwalker.

Last edited:
Yeah, obviously. Though I never saw Bad 25 in a cinema so I'm just comparing the Wembley DVD with the Bad 25 blu-ray. It could purely be the context though as when I watch Bad 25 I think it looks horrible but when I watch Wembley I think it looks okay.

However I feel like Bad 25 was finished up a lot earlier than the Estate announcing the restoring they were doing of the tapes. I could be wrong.

nah, Spike used the dvd version for it. it's reduced to 24fps that's why it looks different/worst.

They should make a remastered version of the Moonwalker game and release it digitally on PS4, Xbox One, Switch and PC. Like Capcom did with DuckTales game few years ago:

The graphics are completely remade and the game looks great. They also added new things. They could also add things like new levels and outfits from other short films to Moonwalker.

A GAME?! please no....

I still haven't beat moonwalker lol farthest I've got was the thriller cemetery level.
Edit: They should remaster and bring back the Genesis and arcade versions for the current generation consoles.

I'd love it if they made a Leave Me Alone level where you get to fly around in a rocket

This. Blue Gangsta and DYKWYCA remixes are both terrible and Chicago remix is ok but the other remixes are very good and deserve more love especially the APWNN one which is brilliant.

I may be the only person on planet Earth that only ever listens to the remixes of Chicago and APWNN. I adore them both.

I may be the only person on planet Earth that only ever listens to the remixes of Chicago and APWNN. I adore them both.

I adore the APWNN remix but the duck sound in Chicago remix makes it tough for me to listen to it. I'm not really keen on the original version of it either. I prefer the 2010 rock version.

If they do Moonwalker it HAS to be the arcade version! Vastly superior to Megadrive version.

Agreed! The biggest advantage was that the dance attacks didn't drain your health like they did in the Genesis/Megadrive one.

I'd be down with a port/remaster of the game. Or even an all-new game that's set in the same "universe".

Agreed! The biggest advantage was that the dance attacks didn't drain your health like they did in the Genesis/Megadrive one.

I'd be down with a port/remaster of the game. Or even an all-new game that's set in the same "universe".

It would be cool if they did a game for ghosts

Assuming each of the Jackson Brothers needing to sign things off: Negotiation, using the leverage of them having to sign it off to get more money than what the Estate originally offered. Sure, they're not really in the position to demand it but they can try and very likely have.

Alternatively, for some of them it's not always about the financials but instead about the people running Michael's Estate and how much influence the brothers have over the Estate. I remember during the earlier years of the Estate, hearing some of the Jackson family members whine about how they should have more influence on Michael's legacy. If they don't like the people running the Estate, they're going to be less likely to just sign off anything.

Sorry to quote an old post but I was thinking about this the other day. How did the Estate get around using the Triumph tour footage on the Off the Wall documentary? The nature of it being a clip only doesn't negate the need for permission from the brothers does it (assuming it is needed at all)?

Sorry to quote an old post but I was thinking about this the other day. How did the Estate get around using the Triumph tour footage on the Off the Wall documentary? The nature of it being a clip only doesn't negate the need for permission from the brothers does it (assuming it is needed at all)?

I remember thinking about this when I first saw it!

From what I remember, the brothers weren't shown or heard on camera. I'm pretty sure that's a clever loophole around having to ask them for permission.

I remember thinking about this when I first saw it!

From what I remember, the brothers weren't shown or heard on camera. I'm pretty sure that's a clever loophole around having to ask them for permission.

But if they held some kind of rights to the footage itself it would be the footage outright, no? Irrespective of which brother featured.

Also backing vocals? They didn't even feature there?

I'm pretty certain they don't have to get permission from the brothers to use footage featuring their backing vocals, unless they own rights to the footage ( i don't think they do). The MJ Estate just need to make sure that royalties are paid for the audio, assuming the clip you're talking about met the criteria - short clips often don't.

Since they're no official concert releases that include his brothers I doubt they are willing to sign off on anything with the estate.

Back