The Jackson 5 Thread

^^^^^The J5 era albums never really sold that big, just like the average Motown album didn't. That's why they don't stay in print. Many of them had never been on CD until the 2001 re-releases. For the most part Motown was a singles label, not an album label. The majority of Motown's stuff is out of print, except for their endless compilation albums with the same songs over and over. As far as the Jacksons variety show goes, that has nothing to do with Motown. They were on Epic then. The CBS television network probably owns the footage. To release them on DVD is very expensive, and there is no guarantee it would sell as The Jacksons as a group have never really crossed over like Michael later did. The brothers never had anything officially released on video until that A&E show recently. All VHS, laserdisc, DVD, etc has been Michael solo. First of all whoever releases it has to get permission from and pay any guest stars (or their estate/image handlers if deceased). Some like David Letterman, probably would ask for a lot of money. Then restoring the footage is a long and very costly process. Songwriters and publishers for the songs in the show have to be paid. I'm not sure, but I think the show's script writers also get a royalty. It's not as simple as just putting out a DVD.

^ motown, cbs or whomever have had over 35 years to figure it out. I know it's not that simple but are they even trying? Aren't most shows recorded with intentions to be released, did they think they's have a cartoon show and just forget about it. If I had a chance to ask the brothers a questions that's the sort of thing i'd aks about, releases.

There have been material released from lesser known groups so crossing over and sales shouldn't be much of a prblem, Michael Jackson is in the group so there is automatic interest there already.

^ motown, cbs or whomever have had over 35 years to figure it out. I know it's not that simple but are they even trying? Aren't most shows recorded with intentions to be released, did they think they's have a cartoon show and just forget about it. If I had a chance to ask the brothers a questions that's the sort of thing i'd aks about, releases.
No, before DVD, TV shows were not commercially released to the public. A few had select episodes released on VHS tape, but they were never complete seasons as videotape doesn't hold much time. VCRs became popular in the mid 1980s. It was mostly movies that were released on videotape and they were usually expensive (average $70-$99 US). That's why the rental stores came into being. A lot of TV shows pre-1970s were erased and the tape reused to save money. Some shows that were shot on film were not taken care of and it detriorated. In the 1970s, syndicating old shows were a then cheap way to fill up space on local TV channels, so networks started to save programs more. Remember there was no cable/satellite, there were 3 networks plus PBS and a few local UHF channels. The TV stations used to go off the air around 11pm-midnight.

^ Thanks for the brief history but if shows from the over 50 years ago can be releases i think the jacksons tv shwo can be too. The cartoon may be more difficult but if they want to make it happen they can, hopefully they have that in mind.

^^^^^But shows like I Love Lucy or Gunsmoke are mainstream popular and appeal to a larger audience than a music show. The Jacksons show is not. Very few variety or music shows are on DVD. Soul Train just released a DVD set through Time-Life. The companies are only going to put out what is more likely to sell. Many people had variety shows in the 1970s, and they're not on DVD either. Most of them have the same dated humor. A lot of the stuff was corny at the time, lol. Speak into a giant's ear? :p A lot of music acts had cartoons also. I've never seen one on video. They're usually cheaply made and are just there for exploitation purposes. Now if The Beatles cartoon has never been released, then the J5 never will.

The Donny and Marie show was cheesy and it was released lol there is always hope.

I'm going through a huge Jackson 5/solo Michael on Motown phase, and I have a few questions for the Motown experts here :

1- During the Victory Tour, did MJ stay on stage and sing during Jermaine's songs, or did he just leave the stage?

2- Who's the lower-voiced singer on "Time Explosion"?

3- Who reads the spoken-word part on "Heaven Knows I Love You Girl"?

4- Did Tito sing at all? And if he didn't, what was his contribution to the Jackson 5 albums, considering Motown didn't let them play their own instruments on the records?

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Answers

1- During the Victory Tour, did MJ stay on stage and sing during Jermaine's songs, or did he just leave the stage?
Don't know, I think Mike left but they sung Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming together.

2- Who's the lower-voiced singer on "Time Explosion"?
Tito

3- Who reads the spoken-word part on "Heaven Knows I Love You Girl"?
Marlon

4- Did Tito sing at all? And if he didn't, what was his contribution to the Jackson 5 albums, considering Motown didn't let them play their own instruments on the records?
Tito sang on many songs, he did the lower & bass voices like on The Boogie Man. Tito also can be heard singing "Let me love you a little bit" on ABC right before Jackie's falsetto. Motown also recorded an instrumental album of Tito's guitar playing that was never released.

Thanks in advance for the answers!
There you go. :D

Thanks for the answers! And not surprisingly, I now have a couple more questions!

1- The credits for the song "Brand New Thing" on Live at the Forum read "The Jackson 5". Did they actually write this song?

2- Which is the first album to feature MJ's new, "adult voice"? Is it "Get It Together"?

[youtube]OSPyl3BiyUc[/youtube]

Such an amazing song...probably my favorite song off this album..

^^^^^The J5 era albums never really sold that big, just like the average Motown album didn't. That's why they don't stay in print. Many of them had never been on CD until the 2001 re-releases. For the most part Motown was a singles label, not an album label. The majority of Motown's stuff is out of print, except for their endless compilation albums with the same songs over and over. As far as the Jacksons variety show goes, that has nothing to do with Motown. They were on Epic then. The CBS television network probably owns the footage. To release them on DVD is very expensive, and there is no guarantee it would sell as The Jacksons as a group have never really crossed over like Michael later did. The brothers never had anything officially released on video until that A&E show recently. All VHS, laserdisc, DVD, etc has been Michael solo. First of all whoever releases it has to get permission from and pay any guest stars (or their estate/image handlers if deceased). Some like David Letterman, probably would ask for a lot of money. Then restoring the footage is a long and very costly process. Songwriters and publishers for the songs in the show have to be paid. I'm not sure, but I think the show's script writers also get a royalty. It's not as simple as just putting out a DVD.

No, before DVD, TV shows were not commercially released to the public. A few had select episodes released on VHS tape, but they were never complete seasons as videotape doesn't hold much time. VCRs became popular in the mid 1980s. It was mostly movies that were released on videotape and they were usually expensive (average $70-$99 US). That's why the rental stores came into being. A lot of TV shows pre-1970s were erased and the tape reused to save money. Some shows that were shot on film were not taken care of and it detriorated. In the 1970s, syndicating old shows were a then cheap way to fill up space on local TV channels, so networks started to save programs more. Remember there was no cable/satellite, there were 3 networks plus PBS and a few local UHF channels. The TV stations used to go off the air around 11pm-midnight.

^^^^^But shows like I Love Lucy or Gunsmoke are mainstream popular and appeal to a larger audience than a music show. The Jacksons show is not. Very few variety or music shows are on DVD. Soul Train just released a DVD set through Time-Life. The companies are only going to put out what is more likely to sell. Many people had variety shows in the 1970s, and they're not on DVD either. Most of them have the same dated humor. A lot of the stuff was corny at the time, lol. Speak into a giant's ear? :p A lot of music acts had cartoons also. I've never seen one on video. They're usually cheaply made and are just there for exploitation purposes. Now if The Beatles cartoon has never been released, then the J5 never will.

Dang:bugeyed I did not realize how huge the process was to release the Jacksons Show stuff. I knew it would be copyright hell to get someone to improve the images do this but I did not know that it was that much.

And does'nt rankin-bass own some stuff from the Jackson 5 cartoons (the animation. ect) . But the Osmonds ones were not released either. and I am not even sure that they have the tapes. But if they do have the tapes and try to release them. I have a feeling that they either would replace the Jackson 5 songs with generic music or keep the songs in but probably may have to ask for premission to do keep the music and to use Diana Ross' Image.

Dang:bugeyed I did not realize how huge the process was to release the Jacksons Show stuff. I knew it would be copyright hell to get someone to improve the images do this but I did not know that it was that much.

And does'nt rankin-bass own some stuff from the Jackson 5 cartoons (the animation. ect) . But the Osmonds ones were not released either. and I am not even sure that they have the tapes. But if they do have the tapes and try to release them. I have a feeling that they either would replace the Jackson 5 songs with generic music or keep the songs in but probably may have to ask for premission to do keep the music and to use Diana Ross' Image.
There was a Diff'rent Strokes episode that had Prince's song I Wanna Be Your Lover when it was originally shown. But when the show was released on DVD, the song was edited out and replaced with something else because either Warner Brothers or Prince asked for too much money that the company making the DVD's weren't willing to pay. This has also been done with other songs for various TV shows and movies. But variety shows and music programs are a bit more difficult to release legalwise than just a regular TV show. When they are released like the Ed Sullivan Show, they usually feature really popular acts. It's possible that the variety show could be released and sold on an infomercial if someone thinks that it can sell enough to make a profit, but I doubt that anybody would bother with the J5 cartoon. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if was released in Japan, lol. I've seen many videotapes, laserdiscs, DVD's, and CD's there that haven't been released elsewhere.

Cartoon DVD

These are the covers for the announced DVD & Blu Ray of the 1971-72 cartoon series. There's not much info about them other than they're supposed to be released in January 2013.
9kcn42.jpg

51bN9fWNuAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Re: Cartoon DVD

These are the covers for the announced DVD & Blu Ray of the 1971-72 cartoon series. There's not much info about them other than they're supposed to be released in January 2013.
9kcn42.jpg

51bN9fWNuAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I just made a post on my blog about this--- I am super excited!

I wanted to share my last post with you guys about how Jackson 5 Christmas was a tradition in my home.
Are you guys also as sentimental as me about this album? I'd love some feedback from others who feel the same.
http://www.mjfangirl.com/2012/11/why-jackson-5-christmas-album-will-be.html

I Want You Back bass

Saxophone & bass player Wilton Felder recently passed away. He was a member of the jazz group The Crusaders. He plays on I Want You Back and this is his solo bass line.

Of course I do love The J5 :) I dont know if those vid were posted before but I wanted to share with you 3 of the many ones I really like it
Enjoy :chillin:

it's my absolutely favorite era, it always has been...i can't chose a favorite song, there are so many great ones....

this one is so hilarious. I really like Carol Burnett, she's so funny. They also did ABC on this one, dunno why it's not in this video

Cool thread! J5 are awesome! I love their music and especially their skits xD Laughing so hard every single time i watch them. They were so talented and their songs are so good. I mean look at what the started from!. They managed to get out of Gary and become one of the biggest groups at that time. Thats pretty impressive.

Very cool thread indeed. To be honest with y'all, up till a some half a decade ago I wasn't even aware of most of the J5/Jacksons songs. I came to love though many of the songs I've discovered decades after their release.

I know this last one isn't an early recording, but I love it soooo much. One of my favorite songs of theirs. Too bad the video creator didn't feel the need to give credit to Michael's bros in the video title. Thankfully, they did give the details in the video description. Great stuff nonetheless........

Back