The Michael Jackson Musical: 'MJ'

FSw_aVsWAAAQuww

Just caught this again last night, and it’s still the most mind boggling thing I’ve ever experienced in theater. When Michael said he was proud to be a black man, the audience cheered. There was a standing ovation after “Thriller” that lasted the better part of a minute. People were dancing in the aisles during “Smooth Criminal.” The energy was off the charts, even more so than when I saw it in previews.

MJ is the sixth highest-grossing show on Broadway. (For the non-theater people among us, that is an extraordinary feat, especially given the shows it’s outselling.) I saw every age, gender, sexuality, religion, race, and creed sporting MJ shirts and merch. It was a nearly sold out house. And at the end, I cried. Maybe that’s corny, but the show depicts many of the physical and personal struggles Michael endured, and shows how the world beat him down time and time again… and to see him still on top, 13 years after the fact, made me emotional. I wish Michael could see how the world still turns out for him.

Truly, whether you’re a Broadway fan or not, if you’re able to see the show, PLEASE do. It‘s incredible.

Just caught this again last night, and it’s still the most mind boggling thing I’ve ever experienced in theater. When Michael said he was proud to be a black man, the audience cheered. There was a standing ovation after “Thriller” that lasted the better part of a minute. People were dancing in the aisles during “Smooth Criminal.” The energy was off the charts, even more so than when I saw it in previews.

MJ is the sixth highest-grossing show on Broadway. (For the non-theater people among us, that is an extraordinary feat, especially given the shows it’s outselling.) I saw every age, gender, sexuality, religion, race, and creed sporting MJ shirts and merch. It was a nearly sold out house. And at the end, I cried. Maybe that’s corny, but the show depicts many of the physical and personal struggles Michael endured, and shows how the world beat him down time and time again… and to see him still on top, 13 years after the fact, made me emotional. I wish Michael could see how the world still turns out for him.

Truly, whether you’re a Broadway fan or not, if you’re able to see the show, PLEASE do. It‘s incredible.
I love this so much! I saw it in April and am currently working on plans to see it again later this summer. I don’t know much about theater but I do know it’s outselling massive shows. I also know I’ve been to two other amazing Broadways shows and while both were incredible, neither had the audience response this one had. I also cried at the end (and several times throughout). So glad you had such a wonderful experience going again!

I’m so proud to be a MIchael Jackson fan! 😊

I love this so much! I saw it in April and am currently working on plans to see it again later this summer. I don’t know much about theater but I do know it’s outselling massive shows. I also know I’ve been to two other amazing Broadways shows and while both were incredible, neither had the audience response this one had. I also cried at the end (and several times throughout). So glad you had such a wonderful experience going again!

I’m so proud to be a MIchael Jackson fan! 😊
Same to you! I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. It’s not always the easiest time being a fan, but it’s so fulfilling :)

⭐ RUMOUR – MJ THE MUSICAL – WEST END TRANSFER PLANS – SPRING 2023 ⭐
The Tony Award-nominated MJ The Musical has plans to transfer to the West End next spring, it is rumoured.
Plans are reportedly in motion to bring the critically acclaimed new musical to the West End in spring 2023, with negotiations currently underway to secure a theatre.
He is one of the greatest entertainers of all time. Now, Michael Jackson’s unique and unparalleled artistry has finally arrived on Broadway in a brand-new musical.
Centered around the making of his 1992 Dangerous World Tour, and created by Tony Award-winning director & choreographer Christopher Wheeldon and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Lynn Nottage, MJ goes beyond the singular moves and signature sound of the star, offering a rare look at the creative mind and collaborative spirit that catapulted Jackson into legendary status.
I hope we get to see this very exciting musical in the West End very soon, fingers crossed! ! !

Thoughts? X x x

the show depicts many of the physical and personal struggles Michael endured, and shows how the world beat him down time and time again
This! I am almost scared to see it! I will be crying all the time :( As a new fan, I feel like I don't really know the extent of his struggles, partly because I was not around when all this was happening, and partly now I have decided to focus on the good parts.

This Sunday’s 75th Annual Tony Awards will feature a line-up of presenters from the stage and screen, including Andrew Garfield, Laurence Fishburne, Nathan Lane, Lin-Manuel Miranda, Bowen Yang and both Paris and Prince Jackson, the children of Michael Jackson.

The fact that Prince and Paris Jackson are attending/presenting awards tells me they must have heard MJ won some awards. Voting closed over a week ago so they must know who won by now. With 10 nominations Im curious how many MJ will win?

The fact that Prince and Paris Jackson are attending/presenting awards tells me they must have heard MJ won some awards. Voting closed over a week ago so they must know who won by now. With 10 nominations Im curious how many MJ will win?
I’d wager Stage Design, Sound Design, and Lead Actor as highly likely; Choreography and Direction are possible; everything else is pretty low on the list.

Are people excited for the MJ broadway album? Since it's not Michael singing it doesn't really excite me.
I’m hyped. I don’t know how much they edited down the songs, and they omitted a handful of them, but I’m gonna be playing this daily for at least a month.

When it drops, if you don’t listen to the full thing, I highly encourage you to at least check out “I’ll Be There,” “Jackson 5 Medley,” “Thriller,” and “Finale.”

Here's the official tracklist, according to the description on Barnes & Noble's website:

Tracks​

1. Beat It
  2. Jackson Five Medley (The Love You Save / I Want You Back / ABC)
  3. I’ll Be There
  4. Don’t Stop ‘Til You Get Enough / Blame It on the Boogie / Dancing Machine
  5. Stranger in Moscow
  6. You Can’t Win
  7. I Can’t Help It
  8. Keep the Faith
  9. Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’
  10. Earth Song / They Don’t Care About Us
  11. Billie Jean
  12. Smooth Criminal
  13. Victory Tour (For the Love of Money / Can You Feel It)
  14. Keep the Faith (Reprise)
  15. She’s Out of My Life
  16. Human Nature
  17. Bad / 2 Bad
  18. Thriller
  19. Man in the Mirror
  20. Finale ( Jam / Black or White / Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’)

Back