The Michael Soundtrack Album - what should the Estate do?

It'll probably be very similar to Number Ones, about 14-15 released songs that feature on the biopic and then maybe 1 or 2 unreleased songs. They'd miss a trick if they didn't play an unreleased song over the credits at the end of the film

I still think the Estate will try to incorporate the demo Dreams Away, it fits the project as well as This Is It fits that film. They need to talk to Steve
Love Dreams Away, amazing melody for an unreleased song, it's kinda magical. Is there a release date for movie yet? How far through filming are they?

It'll probably be very similar to Number Ones, about 14-15 released songs that feature on the biopic and then maybe 1 or 2 unreleased songs. They'd miss a trick if they didn't play an unreleased song over the credits at the end of the film

I still think the Estate will try to incorporate the demo Dreams Away, it fits the project as well as This Is It fits that film. They need to talk to Steve
I feel like Chicago 1945 or Get Your Weight Off Of Me would be hits since they sound signature. Songs like Dream Away and I Am The Loser are pretty slow, not saying they are terrible. They will also prob use outtakes from Xscape and we can only hope for original versions.

Considering the state of the vault (read: as good as empty) I don’t expect much regarding unreleased tracks.

It's probably going to be a greatest hits from Motown to Dangerous but I'd love for the songs to be properly remixed and remastered. They'll probably tack on an unreleased song or 2 at the end. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking

It's probably going to be a greatest hits from Motown to Dangerous but I'd love for the songs to be properly remixed and remastered. They'll probably tack on an unreleased song or 2 at the end. I'm not expecting anything groundbreaking
Well I hope for longer than just Dangerous. If not unreleased tracks, at least re-mix the tracks from the original multitracks. For me personally, I have to listen to different mixes of songs cause the same mixes get old.

The Prince Jackson quote gives me hope. I've only started taking notice of the kid but he seems to be intelligent and driven and I think if he says something, you can take it to the bank. The last thing we really need is another greatest hits album with no real innovation to it, so hopefully we can get some original music. My only question is if there is anything complete or "good" left in the vault. For a guy who is alleged to have recorded hundreds of songs for an album we really haven't seen anything of the quality we were made to believe was there. I feel like Sony paid a billion dollars for off cuts and most of them probably were Jason Malachi.

I think we get basically a greatest hits album but maybe with some remixes and a new track or two. The best scenario is the new track is a banger and tops the charts and the remixes maybe have some collabs that make the project worth bothering with. I don't think we will get "just" a greatest hits. I'd imagine the family and Estate are self aware to know that that is not any kind of addition to his legacy. They should also re-release all of his albums or at very least, the main four - OTW, Thriller, BAD, Dangerous.

The Prince Jackson quote gives me hope. I've only started taking notice of the kid but he seems to be intelligent and driven and I think if he says something, you can take it to the bank. The last thing we really need is another greatest hits album with no real innovation to it, so hopefully we can get some original music. My only question is if there is anything complete or "good" left in the vault. For a guy who is alleged to have recorded hundreds of songs for an album we really haven't seen anything of the quality we were made to believe was there. I feel like Sony paid a billion dollars for off cuts and most of them probably were Jason Malachi.

I think we get basically a greatest hits album but maybe with some remixes and a new track or two. The best scenario is the new track is a banger and tops the charts and the remixes maybe have some collabs that make the project worth bothering with. I don't think we will get "just" a greatest hits. I'd imagine the family and Estate are self aware to know that that is not any kind of addition to his legacy. They should also re-release all of his albums or at very least, the main four - OTW, Thriller, BAD, Dangerous.
Michael said he writes up to 100 songs but writing 100 doesn't equal recording 100. Out of 100, he might've actually recorded 20 or 30 of them while the rest will sit in limbo until he gets around to them, which is rare since he's on record saying he abandons songs when he gets new ideas.

Michael has fully complete songs but getting them is the tricky part since the Estate doesn't have them, his collaborators have them.

Well I hope for longer than just Dangerous. If not unreleased tracks, at least re-mix the tracks from the original multitracks. For me personally, I have to listen to different mixes of songs cause the same mixes get old.
What good would that be? it would be dumb to assume any modern release would have proper/good mastering and not just the mixing engineers slamming the limiter on the tracks, it would be useless to have a new mix from the multis if it's gonna sound like ass.

What good would that be? it would be dumb to assume any modern release would have proper/good mastering and not just the mixing engineers slamming the limiter on the tracks, it would be useless to have a new mix from the multis if it's gonna sound like ass.
that's why I said a proper remix and remaster.

Unfortunately Bruce Swedien isn't with us anymore.....he would've been the best person to do it.

that's why I said a proper remix and remaster.

Unfortunately Bruce Swedien isn't with us anymore.....he would've been the best person to do it.
I know, that's why i'm trying to say: that's not going to happen, and it's not a possibility sadly.
Also, reminder even Bruce would have been forced to mix with today's standards in mind, he mixed and mastered Invincible too and that album is probably the worst sounding MJ record :/

Apart from invincible none of the other albums would benefit from a remix. Releasing the original masters would do just fine. Maybe HIStory could do with a remaster as its a bit loud in places, but I doubt they'd do that, and even if they did it would sound worse than the original so no point.

Last edited:
I am willing to bet a million dollars that they will use an unreleased song and make it a duet between Michael and Jafaar with the film clip the two of them interacting or something like that. Probably with backing vocals from The Jacksons.
Now that would be something :cool:

Dream Away needs polished up but could be great. I say keep the same melody but add in a few extra touches and make it more moody in a similar style to some of The Weekend's tracks.

I can 100% imagine that, with like a modern high hat and everything, the modern sound would work great with the auto tuned vocals.

I know, that's why i'm trying to say: that's not going to happen, and it's not a possibility sadly.
Also, reminder even Bruce would have been forced to mix with today's standards in mind, he mixed and mastered Invincible too and that album is probably the worst sounding MJ record :/
Apart from invincible none of the other albums would benefit from a remix. Releasing the original masters would do just fine. Maybe HIStory could do with a remaster as its a bit loud in places, but I doubt they'd do that, and even if they did it would sound worse than the original so no point.
I feel like they would benefit. I really liked the Dolby Atmos mixes of Thriller. Just imagine what that could do for the rest of his albums. Humberto Gatica (an additional engineer who worked on Thriller, Bad, We Are The World, etc) has already announced he is re-mixing songs so I definitely think it is a possibility and I think it was best to land in his hands.

I feel like they would benefit. I really liked the Dolby Atmos mixes of Thriller. Just imagine what that could do for the rest of his albums. Humberto Gatica (an additional engineer who worked on Thriller, Bad, We Are The World, etc) has already announced he is re-mixing songs so I definitely think it is a possibility and I think it was best to land in his hands.
I don't really use anything that can take advantage of atmos so it's not really something that is on my radar. Would be cool of them to that though, yeah.

straightforward Greatest Hits,
The most likely.

cast recordings
I recently got the MJ Musical CD. Seems nobody else likes it.

updated versions of songs
No point to this. Listen to how bad Thriller 2008 was, both in terms of the versions and the sound quality.

live recordings, etc.
I'd be up for this. But it's unlikely.

Should there be updated duets with current artists like The Weeknd?
That would be offensive.

There will no doubt be the typical greatest hits album to support the movie but adding in a second half full of duets with the biggest stars of today could be a great bit of business.
No, that's two completely different projects. You either have new material or you have old material. It's never acceptable to mix the two.

I was 58 a fortnight ago. My first Michael Jackson, well Jackson 5, single was Lookin’ Through The Windows.

Well we know Billie Jean, Man In The Mirror, and Heartbreak Hotel (live from the Triumph Tour 1981) will be for sure on it.

I think their bigger question is when will it be viable to start releasing music if ever.

There have been various types of soundtrack for biopics, such as straightforward Greatest Hits, cast recordings, updated versions of songs, live recordings, etc. My question is, what would you like the Estate to do for the Michael soundtrack? What songs would you like to see on it? What songs have to be on it? Should there be updated duets with current artists like The Weeknd? Should the songs be as Michael left them? What are your thoughts?
Really hope there will NOT be any duets with current artists!!! Please no!!! 🙏🏻 The only duet that I can think of and would be okay is MJ and Freddy Mercury. And I hope and pray there won’t be any MJ songs sung by someone else!!!! I would love to see some live versions…I always loved The Jacksons Live album and I think that’s been underrated so a live song from that would be cool…IF it’s in the movie, of course. I think the songs should be as MJ left them, even though I wouldn’t mind Best of Joy or Much Too Soon..love those!

I agree with whoever says that most of what's going to be released is a compilation album with only a couple of new songs, but I would really love it if they were to include an unreleased ballad on the credits. Maybe something from MJ's final years like Remember What I Told You, that would be fitting for a closing theme.

I think their bigger question is when will it be viable to start releasing music if ever.
Iirc Branca said that their current focus is to get the MJ Musical to tour in London and then on the biopic. With those 2 almost out of the way perhaps they'll focus on releasing music next.

If they are going doing the greatest hits route I guess they could use the first disc of HIStory as the blueprint and add on some Jackson 5 / Jackson’s songs. But I hope they do something a bit more original as there are quite a few straightforward compilations out there already.

a song feat. The Weeknd is a no brainer for me
The Weeknd is one of the biggest stars right now and he was inspired by Michael
I wonder what song they pick

I also heard from Colman Domingo (the actor who is playing Joe Jackson) that they had shot the victory tour. I would assume they would have some live audio from that tour on the soundtrack.

If they are going doing the greatest hits route I guess they could use the first disc of HIStory as the blueprint and add on some Jackson 5 / Jackson’s songs. But I hope they do something a bit more original as there are quite a few straightforward compilations out there already.
Or the early “Decade” track list

Not all of these but could base off this.

Back