The Perfect MJ Book?

MJFAN22

Proud Member
Hey!

A part from the two books written by Michael himself, what are some of your favourite books/ written works about Michael Jackson?

ALSO - If a new book about MJ were to come out, what would you like to see in it? (In terms of style and content and perhaps something that hasn't been done often/before?)

There is no perfect one, but there are several good ones:

Man In the Music by Joe Vogel - on the music career
The King of Style by Michael Bush - on Michael the entertainer
The Maestro by Chris Cadman - an encyclopedia of all creative works by Michael and his family
You Are Not Alone by Jermaine Jackson - on the Jackson 5/Jacksons years
My Friend Michael by Frank Cascio - on 90s-early 00s
Remember the Time by Bill Whitfield et al. - on the late 00s.

Then there is a bunch of good niche books:
Xscape Origins by Damien Shields - stories behind the songs on Xscape album
Earth Song by Joe Vogel - history and analysis of Earth Song
Private conversations in Neverland by Dr. Van Valin - about the author's friendship with Michael
A life for L.O.V.E. by Brigitte Bloemen et al. - a collection of stories about Michael's humanitarian side

These are some of the best, although I'm not caught up on a few latest ones.

I think in terms of books, Michael is well-covered. I would have liked to see a good photo book with careful selection of high quality photos. Michael has dozens of really stunning photos, but all photo books that have come out have been somehow deficient: some include shitty paparazzi photos, others couldn't resist from judgmental spite in the commentary, yet others just don't feature a good selection of hi-res photos. They also usually constitute a pointless collection of photos. Even Opus was underwhelming and all over the place. Meanwhile, you could tell Michael's life in photos. I wish the estate released a good coffee table book that does that and that every fan would want to have.

Last edited:
A photo book would be great. Also I'd like to see something that delved into his his humanitarian work, and more behind the scenes stories in the studio and on tour. There's got to be a wealth of stories that haven't been told yet.

I haven't read any of the niche books other than Earth Song. Ones I love, other than MJ's is King of Style and Man in the Music.

I have a good number of MJ books. I don't know how good some of them are. Thanks to my depression and anxiety attacks over what happen to him. I don't bother with looking at them anymore.:( As well as the rest of my once beloved MJ items. Most especially my Opus book. I only ever looked at it 3 times since getting it. Back in December of that horrible year. And each time really brought the tears on for me. So I decided it is best not to look at that book anymore. I don't even know where that book is now. Nor do I even care to know. But a few of my favorite MJ books. Other besides Moonwalk and Dancing The Dream that I have are:

Moonwalker (The book version of the movie.)
Michael Jackson Treasures
Michael Jackson Vault
For The Record
Michael Jackson

That last one I have was written by Stewart Regan back in 1984. So I definitely think that is a good MJ book. Since it was written during MJ mania. And For The Record I think is another amazing MJ book. Since that book list almost every single song that Michael did or was going to do over the years. I said was going to do. Because there was at least one song. That Michael was going to do during the Bad Era with Run DMC. But that song got shelved because of how they had felt about each other. I think song was called Crack Cocaine or Crack Kills. It was something like that. I can only imagine just how awesome that song would have been. Any way there are lots of stories of how lot of the songs came to be. I think it is a very interesting book to have. I do have other MJ books besides them. But I have since forgotten the names of them.

I would like to hear stories I have not heard and see pics I have not seen! simple..

The Michael Jackson Opus.

I have two. One I look through, when I'm chilling and listening too his music, and one I have only ever opened to check it's in A1 condition.

I'm amazed at how cheap it was at the time, for something of outstanding beauty so brilliantly put together.

Get your hands on one, if you can. There are not many about, and they're quite a price now, but well worth the money.

'Michael! the Michael Jackson story' by mark bego

'the Michael Jackson story' by nelson George

both written in '83, interestingly enough, before the thriller film was even shot! it was interesting to see the perception of him at the time, and his lifestyle. a lot of quotes from Michael himself. plans he had for the future, which ones panned out, which ones didn't... all good vibes :)

Let's Make HIStory: An insight into the HIStory album by Brice Najar (2016)

517UPefrrYL._SX398_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

"On June, 16th 1995, Michael Jackson’s HIStory double album was released. This major work contained HIStory Begins, a compilation of his greatest hits, and HIStory Continues that was composed of his new songs of the time. Nearly two decades later, Brice Najar, a writer and fan of the King of Pop, decided to look into the behind the scenes of both records. That’s how he contacted some musicians and technicians who took part in that great adventure so that they would share their memories. The result is that book gathering together many accounts from the artist’s collaborators that contributed to making the (HI)Story. So let’s go back to 1995 for an immersion into the studio with Michael Jackson in order to evoke the past, the present and the future."

https://www.amazon.com/Lets-Make-HI...8&qid=1509152995&sr=8-1&keywords=brice++najar

If a new book about MJ were to come out, what would you like to see in it?

I would love to read about Michael as a normal father, stories told by his children. But on the other side, i think they should keep that part of their life private, too many people have already exploited michael for money.

Making Michael is the best book I've read thus far. Incredibly insightful and very unbiased.

My favourite is "A visual documentary" by Adrian Grant, by a real fan interested in facts, not gossip and garbage. Lots of pictures and great if you like chronologies like me. Plus Adrian lets us know about visits to see Michael and other bits and pieces. The best part is how sincere it is.

Jermaines is okay, but he fell out with Michael and thus he may have had an axe to grind.

Taraborelli and Sullivan are good in parts, but it is gossip at the end of the day. Avoid Latoya's and Shmuley Boteach, both gossipy crap.

Shmuley Boteach, gossipy crap.
I agree about the book overall (and therefore I didn't buy it), but I did find the transcripts of his discussions with Michael interesting.

In addition to the books mentioned already, I quite enjoyed 'On The Road With Michael!' by Marc Bego. Written in '84, he traveled along with MJ and the brothers during the Victory Tour.

For your information : Message from @ontheline1982 (MJ MusicDay) on Twitter.

"Follow us on Twitter and win an exclusive Brice Najar "Let's Make HIStory" signed limited copy! - (available in english copy only)
Here's how to win:
1- FOLLOW us on Twitter: MJ MusicDay (@ontheline1982)
2- RETWEET our Tweet
You need to do these 2 things in order to be eligible. The winner will be randomly selected on Monday, November 6th. Make sure to share this with your friends!

https://twitter.com/ontheline1982/status/925096633402052613

20116987_1499603563425462_7184810662596414815_o.jp  g

22195255_1570474103005074_1232323086578311279_n.jp  g

http://bricenajar.com/en/home-2/

I like The Visual Documentary

My favourite is "A visual documentary" by Adrian Grant, by a real fan interested in facts, not gossip and garbage. Lots of pictures and great if you like chronologies like me. Plus Adrian lets us know about visits to see Michael and other bits and pieces. The best part is how sincere it is.

Jermaines is okay, but he fell out with Michael and thus he may have had an axe to grind.

Taraborelli and Sullivan are good in parts, but it is gossip at the end of the day. Avoid Latoya's and Shmuley Boteach, both gossipy crap.

Yes, the books by Adrian Grant are really good.

1. A Visual Documentary - a complete record of Michael s moves, grooves and music
2. Making HIStory - follows the History album and includes a exclusive interview with Michael
3. Live And Dangerous - mostly pictures of the dangerous tour.

I think he's done other books and most of his works were approved by MJJ Production (Michael's company) and Sony.

Back