The problems with Invincible

The Lost Children is one, if not the most boring released song Michael composed.

The problem I have is that is the least sounding Michael album, (so is Off The Wall but in that one he began to take control over his solo career, while in Invincible already had all the experience in the world) he relied way too much in other composers and producers. Too many people involved for my taste and I agree it's too long and many of the outtakes are better songs than many of the official Invincible track list. It's not a bad album but Michael spoiled us with his 90's masterpieces, it's not his best one for his standards. It's probably speculation on my part but I've often thought he just released the album the way it is because it was part of his contract, he just wasn't there. I however applaud Michael for having the capacity of making a different album from his previous works every time.

I'll go one better, I hate The Lost Children, such an awful song that didn't belong on any MJ album.

I'll go one better, I hate The Lost Children, such an awful song that didn't belong on any MJ album.

Next to little Susie, it is his worst song. It sounds like a parody song someone would make of a typical MJ world peace type of feel.

I swear my opinion is always the opposite to almost everyone else. I hate ''Butterflies'' but most people love it, and then I love ''The Lost Children'' but most people hate that.

I wonder if he wanted to take a break from writing so much of his own material during the Invincible sessions. He had become a father during the Invincible sessions. He said the reason for the length of the album was that, at the time, he thought it would be his last studio album. He went back to his roots of writing a love album. It sounds like he was at a point where he wanted, at the very least, a chance to have a break while producing the album. And it might have affected his quality of work slightly.

Next to little Susie, it is his worst song. It sounds like a parody song someone would make of a typical MJ world peace type of feel.

Are you frikkin kidding me? Little Susie is a complete masterpiece. Everything about it is perfect, the tone is dark,the vocals vulnerable and weighty, the lyrics soft but powerful, the music haunting. :/ But then, maybe I'm in the minority here.

I wonder if he wanted to take a break from writing so much of his own material during the Invincible sessions. He had become a father during the Invincible sessions. He said the reason for the length of the album was that, at the time, he thought it would be his last studio album. He went back to his roots of writing a love album. It sounds like he was at a point where he wanted, at the very least, a chance to have a break while producing the album. And it might have affected his quality of work slightly.

Instead of a love album, I wish he would have gone back to his more fun Off The Wall style.

Are you frikkin kidding me? Little Susie is a complete masterpiece. Everything about it is perfect, the tone is dark,the vocals vulnerable and weighty, the lyrics soft but powerful, the music haunting. :/ But then, maybe I'm in the minority here.

I love LS as well.

Little Susie is perhaps MJ's most interesting song.

What other Invincible outtakes are we yet to hear?

I think the album is great but not as great as the others. Some days I really like it and some days I don't. The biggest problem is that the album is too long and many songs go on too long. My favorites on the album are Butterflies, You Rock My World, Unbreakable, Break of Dawn, Speechless, You Are My Life and Whatever Happens.

I must be the only one who liked Privacy. :beee:

I used to like it, back when I first got into his music. But after hearing his other anti-media/critic/paparazzi songs like WYWTOM and Tabloid Junkie, I began to think that Privacy was a mediocre MJ track. Not a mediocre track, rather a mediocre "MJ" track.

I used to like it, back when I first got into his music. But after hearing his other anti-media/critic/paparazzi songs like WYWTOM and Tabloid Junkie, I began to think that Privacy was a mediocre MJ track. Not a mediocre track, rather a mediocre "MJ" track.

I completely understand where you coming from. On the note of paparazzi songs, Leave Me Alone is easily his best. Not to say the others are bad. It's just got that deadly beat...

Also who doesnt wanna ride a rocket with their llama!
Leave_Me_Alone_HQ_leave_me_alone_17083859_1330_1.jpg

''Leave Me Alone'' isn't really an anti-tabloid song. The video turned it into that, but I never saw the song itself as that

Michael on "Leave Me Alone":
"I worked hard on the song, stacking vocals on top of each other like layers of clouds. I’m sending a simple message here: Leave me alone! The song is about a relationship between a guy and a girl, but what I’m really saying to people who are bothering me is: Leave me alone!"

Last edited:
I swear my opinion is always the opposite to almost everyone else. I hate ''Butterflies'' but most people love it, and then I love ''The Lost Children'' but most people hate that.

I love The Lost Children too haha.

The main problem with Invincible is that it's responsible for too many threads.

I don't quite understand Cry.

You can change the world (I can't do it by myself)
You can touch the sky (going to take somebody's help)
You're the chosen one (I'm going to need some kind of sign)
If we all cry at the same time tonight

So is the meaning and message behind the song that we can change the world if we all cry at the same time?...

^ I take it more so if we come together and be emotionally honest we can make big things happen.

In addition to the lyrics you put... "Stories buried and untold, someone is hiding the truth...." "People laugh when they're feeling sad..." "..all we have to do is reach is reach for the truth"

A lot of exression of not being emotionally honest and when you com together and "cry" you are coming out to the truth... the pain that really exists. That's the only way to fix It.. Face reality which hurts (Cry) and fix it. ..."And when the flag blows there'll be no more wars"

I don't quite understand Cry.

You can change the world (I can't do it by myself)
You can touch the sky (going to take somebody's help)
You're the chosen one (I'm going to need some kind of sign)
If we all cry at the same time tonight

So is the meaning and message behind the song that we can change the world if we all cry at the same time?...

I like Cry, but lyrically it's nothing - absolutely nothing - in front of Will You Be There or Man In the Mirror.

I agree with what many have said about the album so I'm not really going to rehash many of the comments already made.

Just briefly, I do agree that it's the least 'MJ-like' album in his solo catalogue. It has some of the worst songs of his entire solo catalogue (Don't Walk Away, Cry for example) but also some of the best (Threatened especially). How some of the best unreleased material we've ever heard from MJ didn't make it but DWA and Cry did is beyond me. It feels dragged out and overly-long, unlike Dangerous despite being roughly the same length.

I feel it gets overrated a bit in general by the MJ community just because it isn't recognised as much by the public and so forth. It's an album I'd probably give... idk, 3-3.5/5?? Idk something around there maybe.

Is there a problem with Invincible ???

:hysterical: That pretty much sums up my response to this thread too, LMFAO! There are only 2 songs on that album that are too pop-ish to me and even so they're still good songs: You Are My Life and Lost Children.

2000 Watts is my speeding ticket song (because I've actually gotten one while jamming like a car dancing DIVA) and it was well worth it, too. :crackingup:

I advise all those (who claim that ‘Invincible’ is too long) to take a look at the total length of his two, previous studio albums (‘HIStory’ & ‘Dangerous’).

Also, it really surprises me that words like (‘sappy’, ‘garbage’, ‘awful’, ‘parody’, etc.) are also so prevalent among (hard-core) MJ fans because this is exactly the type of words that is used (largely) by critics/non-fans/haters when it comes to MJ’s songs.

mj_frenzy;4104575 said:
I advise all those (who claim that ‘Invincible’ is too long) to take a look at the total length of his two, previous studio albums (‘HIStory’ & ‘Dangerous’).

I can watch The Wolf of Wall Street and have the three hours whiz by because it's such a well-built, great paced film, but then I can be watching The Hobbit (which is only 10 minutes less) and be checking my phone every once in a while, bored and ready to move on because it's pacing just isn't as good. They're almost the same length (10 minutes difference) but The Wolf of Wall Street flows so much better than The Hobbit does.

It's a similar concept with Dangerous vs. Invincible. Sure, they're a similar same length technically, but the songs on Dangerous flow much better imo, nor do they 'feel' as long to me whereas Invincible does feel dragged out after a while.

mj_frenzy;4104575 said:

Also, it really surprises me that words like (‘sappy’, ‘garbage’, ‘awful’, ‘parody’, etc.) are also so prevalent among (hard-core) MJ fans because this is exactly the type of words that is used (largely) by critics/non-fans/haters when it comes to MJ’s songs.

I agree with the second part of your post. People need to stop this.

However, invincible is an album which does not require more than 60 minutes of play. It's a romance themed album and since it has a slower pace than Dangerous or HIStory or Bad, the record loses some steam after maybe 9 songs. This wouldn't have been the case if Michael had fit Shout or Xscape or We've Had Enough or Blue Gangsta and taken out some of the slower tracks.

HIStoric;4104578 said:
It's a similar concept with Dangerous vs. Invincible. Sure, they're a similar same length technically, but the songs on Dangerous flow much better imo, nor do they 'feel' as long to me whereas Invincible does feel dragged out after a while.

MAQ;4104581 said:
I agree with the second part of your post. People need to stop this.

However, invincible is an album which does not require more than 60 minutes of play. It's a romance themed album and since it has a slower pace than Dangerous or HIStory or Bad, the record loses some steam after maybe 9 songs.

‘Invincible’ has a lot of issues &, in my opinion, it is far from perfect.

Also, I can understand the imbalance issue that is being brought up, although I think this comes down (strictly) to a matter of personal taste/feeling.

mj_frenzy;4104575 said:

Dangerous and HIStory might be the same length, more or less, as Invincible but there's a difference, the former two are miles better than the latter. Dangerous is nothing short of a masterpiece and HIStory is very good in its own right

Just because we are MJ fans doesn't mean we can't use words like awful, garbage etc. If a song is awful, we can say it is. Call a spade a spade.

Back