The re-cut You Rock My World music video

ChrisC

Guests
It's been so long now but I'm sure the version of the You Rock My World video that appears on Vision and on the Vevo channel was not the version we all saw when the video initially premiered on television back in 2001.

As memory serves me, after the premiere, the video was quickly recut with many minor changes throughout.

Does this sound right to anyone? Does anyone have a link to the original cut? Does anyone know why the video was changed so late in the day?

Yeah, I recall.

To my memory the 'final' cut changed 4 times within the first week as MJ wasn't happy.

What was changed/cut out?

Lots of different angles, different beginnings. Nothing major. It was just very annoying.

Between this and the whole Sony debacle, it was obvious from day one the campaign was doomed.

I remember that, it was annoying as hell

Last edited:
I have the original. Ill upload in a few

I'd love to see it again.

I remember the ending being different. The conversation with Brando different. The sequence where the noises in the bar built up was different too.

Oh, wow, it'll be pretty cool to see the original cut. I had no idea it was changed so many times.

Lots of different angles, different beginnings. Nothing major. It was just very annoying.

Between this and the whole Sony debacle, it was obvious from day one the campaign was doomed.
Basically... Its like 5sec difference...thats all. More lines i think

I remember it being a little different, I remember seeing it premier on top of the pops. I vaguely remember there being some unusual angles for an MJ short film

It's true there are no major changes, but as I remember there were indeed a number of them.

Probably an unpopular opinion, and I LOVE the actual song, but I would have edited that video to death.
It drags on and on, IMO.

I do think the Chris Tucker adlibs are funny tho.

Probably an unpopular opinion, and I LOVE the actual song, but I would have edited that video to death.
It drags on and on, IMO.

I love the song too, definitely one of my favourite latter day MJ songs.

And yes it goes on a bit long. Like most of Invincible really.

I've just found the Top of the Pops premiere on an old VHS.

Interesting to see the different takes that have been used - particularly in MJ's dialogue.

It drags on and on, IMO.

Fully agree. It still is a great song, but it's a great 4 minute song.

The video is okay, but it could be called a million ways not to show MJs face and it's way too close and far inferior to Smooth Criminal.

you know even the long version there are a couple different versions.. slightttt differences.. In some when Michael flips the table he makes a sound and in some he doesn't.. things like that... lol!

It drags on and on, IMO.

I love the video, always make me laugh

What sort of a girl changes the way you walk anyway?

Back