The selection of the lead singles

Roger

^^Mike did work with Roger Troutman, supposedly on the original version of Smooth Criminal that was not released. Roger is mentioned in the Thank You credits on the Bad album
tumblr_m7zv979ePn1rw606ko1_250.jpg

tumblr_m7zv979ePn1rw606ko2_250.jpg

Re: Roger

^^Mike did work with Roger Troutman, supposedly on the original version of Smooth Criminal that was not released. Roger is mentioned in the Thank You credits on the Bad album
tumblr_m7zv979ePn1rw606ko1_250.jpg

tumblr_m7zv979ePn1rw606ko2_250.jpg

That would be amazing, because Roger was an amazing talent, solo and his work with Zapp. "More Bounce to the Ounce" was one of the most innovative songs ever made and then of course there is "I wanna be your man". It was a shame he died too young, as Roger was a unique talent. Both Prince and Michael gave him big props, Zapp toured with Prince on the Controversy Tour in 1981 as well.

mjprince1976;4105288 said:
I kind of agree mostly. I believe that for a dance or pop artist who does a wide mix of songs - dance, poppy melodies, ballads, rock and soulful dance songs like Michael, you need a song with all those ingredients to launch a project. Mostly he has reached it.

For Don't Stop, I totally agree, a very upbeat dance song, plus it has a very catchy melody and its a powerful in your face song. Plus the video would help sell it. there's a lot of top notch material on Off the Wall, yet this is the best song. Possible other first singles would be Workin Night and Day, which is also a catchy song and has a get on the floor feel (Could have been a 3rd single too). Rock with you as well, but that was single #2 and became the second iconic number 1 for the adult Michael Jackson.

Agree too, about the Girl is Mine, right before Michael made his huge push, at a time, when Black and White music was still separate and the addition of an iconic white musician like Paul McCartney, ensured it would be a big hit (2) and it was a good if somewhat underwhelming start. At the time (November 1982), MTV still had a racist White musicians only videos and a lot of first rate Black music was not hitting like it should (After the Rock and Roll, Motown and Sexy Soul/Disco output of the 1955 - 1979) Black music had moved out of prominence and the 1979/82 era was a revival of ultra white rock and country and western type hits (Elvira, Love a Rainy night, 65 love affair/Queen of hearts etc). part of it could be played up with the anti disco backlash in which blacks and gays were blamed for polluting the mainstream with low quality disco music.

In my opinion a load of racist crap, the 1979/1982 period is comparable to the neo racism of now with many whites being openly racist against blacks and blaming Obamacare and Black Lives matter etc. So Billie Jean would have been a better 1st single, but may have not hit #1 if released in 1982 rather than early 1983.

In one of my Prince books, it mentions the video for Prince's 1999 was added to the MTV Playlist on December 16th 1982 and it was the first Black video played on the network after Warner Brothers and Columbia both threatened to pull all their artists videos from MTV unless it ended the colour bar. (MTV started in August 1981). Billie Jean was shipped to the channel on January 12 1983 and became very popular. Diana Ross and Lionel Richie videos were also added to the playlist. The effects were immediate with Michael hitting #1 with Billie Jean in March 1983, when sales of Thriller (0.8 million in March 1983) really took off selling 1 million copies in April 1983 and 2 million more in May (After Motown 25 was shown with Michael moonwalking), and Prince scored a #6 hit with Little Red Corvette. By the end of 1983, Thriller had sold 13 million copies and Princes 1999 released in October 1982 went from 200k in Jan 1983 to some 2.5 million.

So in this regard, Girl was a better single to drop and they had another duet #1 in December 1983 with Say, Say, Say.

Agree with Bad single "I just can't stop loving you", the smouldering ballad is so 1987, although I still think Bad may have been a great 1st single too as it has the instant epic feel to it. TWYMMF was not a good choice for 1st single as great as it is, its too MJ for some casual listeners. A part of me says that maybe Smooth Criminal may have been a great lead off single, for its sheer danceability.

I think Black or White may have been a good choice, but it hit more for its controversy with the video than the song. I really think Give in To Me and Remember the Time may have been better 1st singles, with Jam a good choice too. In fact had Jam been released earlier with a NBL tie in,it would have gone #1.

Scream was not a good choice, its a good song, but not a good first single choice and is a bit too angry, the album could have been better started with You Are not Alone, a tender ballad, well written and offering a sincere and thankful Michael to the world. Plus it was bizarre for Michael to put out a song with the f word out let alone as a lead single and its the reason it was his first album starter not to hit #1. Contrast with You are Not Alone which was a well deserved #1 hit. By this time, the #1s were less assured and he never had any after this.

You Rock my world is not the best song on Invincible, but probably his most catchy on it and it has all the classic Dance Michael touches and the neo Smooth Criminal feel to it. To me my favourite song on it is Butterflies, which should have been the 1st single, even if it is a bit quiet and meek for a in your face instant hit. Still the nu soul feel may have roped someone in.

Well thats my opinions there.

Thanks for your detailed & interesting response regarding the selection of the lead singles!

I agree that the energetic, disco-fused ‘Working Day and Night’ should have been released as a single & there is no doubt that it was a (generally) better song than other tracks from that album that eventually were released as singles (like ‘Girlfriend’, ‘She’s Out of my Life’). Happily, that fact alone (that it did not get an official release as a single) never diminished its huge popularity that the song achieved in the following years.

Personally, I think the recorded material that was eventually included on the ‘Thriller’ album was in sharp contrast with the inclusion of one of his weakest songs (‘The Girl is Mine’) on that record, let alone the selection of that song as a lead single.

‘Bad’ album had only two ballads & the fact that one of them was released as a lead single could have been perceived as a way to emphasize the romantic aspect of that album. Personally, I believe that ‘I Just Can't Stop Loving You’ is among his weakest ballads & although it has one of the most beautiful intros (I am referring to the instrumental part, not the spoken one) I think as the song unfolds it fails to live up to the initial expectations.

But, at the same time, I tend to believe (like you) that ‘Bad’ could have been a wise choice as a lead single. For example, the profound funky-pop feeling of that song would have set the mood for that record in no uncertain terms, & this is stylistically supported as well (judging by the video’s concept that was in accordance with the album’s cover).

Regarding ‘Black or White’ I am afraid that I have to disagree with you that the controversy overshadowed the impact of the song itself. As I noted earlier, I think the controversy (that it was triggered by the last minutes of the full version of that song) was probably a part of a general, strategic plan with the subsequent apologetic statements (that were released by MJ himself) only to further expand the album’s sales. Also, I have to disagree with you about the selection of ‘Give in to me’ or ‘Remember the Time’ as possible lead singles for the reasons that I mentioned earlier (album’s global concept, & so on). But I agree with you that ‘Give in to me’ is a very good song, in fact this song is probably his best (hard) rock flavored track he has ever recorded &, for this reason, I am still amazed that it got such a late official release.

I am afraid that I have also to disagree with you about the selection of ‘Scream’ (as a lead single). I think this anger/aggression that it had to be emphatically conveyed was exactly his purpose regarding that album. As long as that message was effectively conveyed, then there was room for things to ease off, & that exactly happened with the selection of ‘You Are Not Alone’ as the second single.

I agree that ‘You Rock my World’ had all those classic, dance elements that tried to epitomize his characteristic music style throughout his career. This is another reason why I firmly believe that it was the wisest/safest choice as a lead single.

On the other hand, the concept for the music video of ‘You Rock my World’ was below par. Although it was technically well executed, I think the whole idea behind that video was not fit for his magnitude in music history (in terms of music videos), & in no way can be regarded as a groundbreaking effort, especially at the threshold of a new millennium.

Lastly, regarding ‘Invincible’ I doubt that any other possible choice (as a lead single) would have changed for the better the sad course of events during that period. It seems that MJ wanted ‘Unbreakable’ (as a way probably to get his invulnerability across for one more time) but, in my view, that song (as a possible single) would have appealed only to his devoted fans. Although it had a nice, unstoppable groove, it was overly long while I think its lyrics would have been totally indifferent to the general public (for example, casual listeners, non-fans).

Re: Roger

Zapp toured with Prince on the Controversy Tour in 1981 as well.
When that Original 7ven album came out a few years ago. Morris Day, Jesse Johnson, Jimmy Jam, & Jerome Benton did a TV interview. The broadcast version was only a few minutes, but the entire interview was around 45 minutes which was posted online. Jesse mentioned that Larry Troutman pulled out a gun in a dressing room on him, Jerome, & Morris during that tour because of some dancer for Zapp which was supposedly Larry's girlfriend.

I've always thought that some of the guitar on Superfly Sister was Roger like

Last edited:
mj_frenzy;4104852 said:
Honestly, your constant inability to express a personal opinion (regarding the topic of the threads) does not surprise me at all.

Also, the fact that you come always into threads using such comments (in an effort I suppose to gain some attention) is not only laughable but also extremely amusing, & also does not surprise me at all.

Bear in mind that you are not obliged to comment on each & every one thread.

Finally, what is written on ‘Moonwalk’ is known for years &, obviously I did not wait to learn that from you today.

What the hell are you on about?

That's pretty clever.. However it could turn out to be a disaster. Like, what if the first single gets furiously degraded? By the people I mean - not the critics.

Yeah it could... BUT, I guess that is a risk to take for the impact they could make.. PLUS there was never a song on an album then than MJ and team did not believe in.. So if the REALLLY believe in every track to them it's less risk in there minds.

As far as Black OR White, Michael had to know the song would be controversial even before the video... Especialy revealing his skin being almost full white at the time.. If I were in his shoes I would throw a lot of controversy to overshadow JUST my skin tone with a over the top video, blatantly being extra sexual, and any other thing to create "WOOO WHATS GOING ON" instead of "hey look at Michaels face"..

I basically see it as deciding to be the circus conductor (Directing it) instead of being the "freak with two heads" in the show... The album cover for Dangerous is a perfect example of the idea.

That's just how I see it... you can't release a song (another single) prior to Black Or White (considering the circumstance) and promote it like nothing is going on physically when it obviously is..

KOPV -Possibly, but myself along with a few other fans, knew that Michael possibly had a skin disease by then, originally it was thought to be porphyia (A disease that also causes madness and killed George III King of Great Britain in 1820) and then later Vitiligo. Vitiligo was known in the 1990s and most of us kind of knew that Michael's skin was lightening. His skin lightened considerably between Thriller and Bad. In Thriller he looks African American, and by 1985 he still does, although his nose jobs are apparent.

By 1987, he was coffee coloured and looked more Hispanic and mixed race, especially now his jheri curl was gone replaced by a permed long hair mullet thing. He got even lighter by 1989 on the Leave me alone video and by 1991, he was almost white. To me though, he still had a bit of colourin 1991/92and it was not until late 1993 (The first allegations) he looked fully caucasian and this peaks in 1995/1998 (He looks ghostly white by the History Period). It was not skin bleaching though, Michael's surgeons encouraged him to lather on cream to his face and hands as vitiligo is very disfiguring and covers the body in ugly blotches of pigmentation. It is also gradual and likely he did not have it before 1982/1983. Under his clothes, Michael's torso, arms and legs were apparently covered with blotches of skin colour changes thanks to vitiligo and after his examination in 1994, it was confirmed he suffered from vitiligo and not bleaching his skin, but dealing with it, by using creams on his most visible parts of his body. Hence why you never saw Michael strip off his clothes and walk around in shorts.

My guess is that it is noticeable by 1986 (Look at a closeup shot of the Captain EO era and you can lighter patches on his face uncer the concealer. By 1988 his face was more or less nearly white. Other things like his lips were never an issue, as Michael never had thick lips to start off with and appeared quite handsome compared to his more full lipped brothers (Especially Marlon). His lips appear plumper after 2005 as he was having regular botox.

If anything, he actually started to look African American again by the mid/late 2000s and had he lived he many have become black again (Prince did, he went through a Black Phase up to 1986, got lighter in 1986 - 1992 period, was very pale in the 1995 -1999 era and then darkened up again in the 2000s and now with his afro and all, Prince looks black again.

Also to fans like me, we did not care about Michael's changing skin colour, all we cared about was the music and MJ wrote the song as a well palced dig at his critics and anyone else who thought he was deliberately bleaching his skin to become white.

Mj-frenzy, I loved your comments, kind of see your points about Scream, but I still think the word fxxk was added as a trend chasing exercise with the majority of popular acts in 1994/95 going through a swearword phase (Red Hot Chili Peppers, Prince, Alanis Morisette, The who the fxxk is Alice song, RATM and every G funk rapper around).

It was sad, as until 1993 Michael set the trends and others followed, but by 1995 like Prince in 1991 onwards, he was chasing the trends. I agree totally about the Rock the World video, seems silly whenever I watch it, a C grade knock off of Smooth Criminal/Bad/Beat It, and yes the song itself is amazing with its ultra catchy lyrics and melody along with that pure dance power beat.

Back