The song: On The Line

Still trying to figure out what is up in regards to who wrote On the Line. The film, in the opening credits (which is as far as I’ve come thus far) states that it’s written by Babyface, and so does the Ghosts box single (see above, thread post #21).

Conversely, all (?) sources from 2004 (The Ultimate Collection) and onward gives Michael exclusive credit.

🤔

Still trying to figure out what is up in regards to who wrote On the Line. The film, in the opening credits (which is as far as I’ve come thus far) states that it’s written by Babyface, and so does the Ghosts box single (see above, thread post #21).

Conversely, all (?) sources from 2004 (The Ultimate Collection) and onward gives Michael exclusive credit.

🤔
Most sources agree that 'On The Line' was written solely by Babyface (including the 'For The Record' book which also confirms that).

The only exception seems to be 'The Ultimate Collection' booklet, which states that it was written by Michael Jackson, and not by Babyface.

But this booklet has too many other errors in order to be regarded as a reliable source.

For example, it also states that 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' was recorded in 1982 (the correct is 1987), that 'Unbreakable' was recorded in 2002 (the correct is 1998-1999), that the 'Remember The Time' music video features Imam (the correct is Iman, the Somali supermodel), it even calls at one point Rodney Jerkins as Rodney Jerkins III, or at another point it calls Fred Jerkins III as Fred Jerkins, and so on.

Most sources agree that 'On The Line' was written solely by Babyface (including the 'For The Record' book which also confirms that).

The only exception seems to be 'The Ultimate Collection' booklet, which states that it was written by Michael Jackson, and not by Babyface.

But this booklet has too many other errors in order to be regarded as a reliable source.

For example, it also states that 'I Just Can't Stop Loving You' was recorded in 1982 (the correct is 1987), that 'Unbreakable' was recorded in 2002 (the correct is 2001), that the 'Remember The Time' music video features Imam (the correct is Iman, the Somali supermodel), it even calls at one point Rodney Jerkins as Rodney Jerkins III, or at another point it calls Fred Jerkins III as Fred Jerkins, and so on.
Yes, I remember finding plenty of errors in that booklet at the time.

Then how about the copyright entry linked in a post above? I’m not too familiar with foreign copyright offices, so I cannot tell if the source is credible.

Edit: Copyright link is in thread post #22.

Yes, I remember finding plenty of errors in that booklet at the time.

Then how about the copyright entry linked in a post above? I’m not too familiar with foreign copyright offices, so I cannot tell if the source is credible.

Edit: Copyright link is in thread post #22.
Apparently, this is an error in the copyright registration at the U.S. Copyright Office.

Also, American author Joseph Vogel confirms (in his 'Man In The Music' book) that 'On The Line' was written solely by Babyface and it was recorded by Michael Jackson during the 'HIStory' album sessions.

Babyface and Michael is pure magic, the song is babyface written all over. It’s totally Babyface. I am a huge fan of babyface and I can tell its completely him. MJ did only sung it in my opinion. It’s a classic babyface one.

Babyface and Michael is pure magic, the song is babyface written all over. It’s totally Babyface. I am a huge fan of babyface and I can tell its completely him. MJ did only sung it in my opinion. It’s a classic babyface one.
Babyface & LA Reid also produced Nothin' by The Jacksons & Jermaine's entire You Said album, and both has his sound. Babyface recently did an interview where he said The Deele (the band he was in) didn't want his songs at first because they wanted to sound (& look) more like Prince. His songs didn't really fit with that. But the head of their record label (Dick Griffey) forced them to use Babyface's material & also let him sing them. He was just the guitar player & background singer on their 1983 debut album. The Deele's most known song is Two Occasions which was written by Babyface, and was on their 3rd album. At least it is the single that crossed over to pop radio, it probably isn't that much more popular with the R&B audience of that time than their other R&B hits.

Back