"This Is It" May Not Be.....

Cinnamon234

Proud Member
"This Is It" may not be MJ's best song, but vocally his voice absolutely SOARS. Anyone else agree with that? I honestly think that TII ,if nothing else, contains some of MJ's best vocals ever imo. He really sounds beautiful.

God, I love that man's voice :wub:. GORGEOUS.

"some best vocals ever"....uh you sure about that?

I think it's a good song, but MJ would have def turned it up had he been recording this song.

"This Is It" may not be MJ's best song, but vocally his voice absolutely SOARS. Anyone else agree with that? I honestly think that TII ,if nothing else, contains some of MJ's best vocals ever imo. He really sounds beautiful.

God, I love that man's voice :wub:. GORGEOUS.

Agreed. He sounds really good...It's easy to forget what a great vocalist he is it. You are reminded of that on TII

^^^

Yup! Many people weren't/aren't impressed with the song and compared to MJ's other material, it's not as good, but his voice is really great in it. If it was anyone else singing it, I probably would think it's terrible but MJ's voice really makes that song.

Ummmm.... I think it is going to take me a long, long time to be able to fully appreciate this song. At first I fell in the trap of "this is a brand new song" and had so many expectations. Then I discovered (by MJ fans) that it was an old song MJ never used, then came Sony managers saying they just "found the tape in a box" and then Mr. Anka, the cherry on top, saying MJ had "stolen" him the tape... etc.

So for me, there are too many sad memories associated to this song. And it's such a pity, for it could have been a good memory if things had been done the right honest way right from the beginning :-(

But this is it...

:-(

I adore Michael's performance. The song is fine but it's the poignant, melancholy feel created by his vocals that get to me. It does have an extra layer of bittersweet emotion bc of TII but, even without that, I think it would still be heartwrenching bc of how he uses his voice. The arrangement is great, there are some lovely moments in the instrumentation. Obviously, the backing vocals are awesome, especially at 1m 22s - that just kills me!

Last edited:
It's okay. I remember it getting a bit of airplay when it first came out. It's well suited to the cause. But it's a bit forgettable. Vocally, it's solid, but Michael generally always was. The only time his vocals were anything less than great is when producers would mess too much with it in the mixing.

I've always thought that his vocals were perhaps done in one take? To me, it doesn't sound like a final vocal take for release.

Just a demo to get the feel of the song, along with love never felt so good.

Anyway, the song takes me back to 2009 and the sadness I felt when hearing this. I don't think any of the work he did with Anka was any good tbh.

To answer the part about his amazing voice, that sadness in the falsetto toward the end is devastating…:wub:

I don’t buy the “found it in a box”, “Thriller era” story because that’s his mature voice all day long.

Definitely not his “Lady In My Life” voice.

It seems to me “they” have told us just about anything for marketing purposes only

I haven’t been able to find a Paul Anke version until he started performing it after MJ’s name was associated with it.

A marketing partnership of sorts? Perhaps?

Last edited:
To answer the part about his amazing voice, that sadness in the falsetto toward the end is devastating…:wub:

I don’t buy the “found it in a box”, “Thriller era” story because that’s his mature voice all day long.

It seems to me “they” have told us just about anything for marketing purposes only

I haven’t been able to find a Paul Anke version until he started performing it after MJ’s name was associated with it.

It's confirmed 1980. Not 1983 though.

It was also covered before.

What? Safire recorded This is It as as "I Never Heard".

It's confirmed 1980. Not 1983 though.

It was also covered before.
1980?! It’s also not his, She’s Out of My Life voice either!

It’s his post-Butterflies vocal range. Note the adlibbed falsetto toward the end and the way he starts off saying, “This is It” is much deeper.

What do you mean by, “confirmed”?

If you mean. “official story” then…

But I know his voice after over 50 years of listening

1980?! It’s also not his, She’s Out of My Life voice either!

It’s his post-Butterflies vocal range. Note the adlibbed falsetto toward the end and the way he starts off saying, “This is It” is much deeper.

What do you mean by, “confirmed”?

If you mean. “official story” then…

I promise you, if you think that demo is from anything other then the 80s, you are just wrong.

No you really don't. You are glaringly, and hilariously wrong.

The song is 40 years old. The vocals are as well. Maybe they've been, enhanced, with artificial effects after the fact, but it's still a 1980 demo. It's not like MJs voice changed that radically anyway. He pretty much had the same range the whole time.

The song is 40 years old. The vocals are as well. Maybe they've been, enhanced, with artificial effects after the fact, but it's still a 1980 demo. It's not like MJs voice changed that radically anyway. He pretty much had the same range the whole time.

I don't think there can even be any effects on the voice, don't think there's multitracks.

I don't think there can even be any effects on the voice, don't think there's multitracks.
No I don't believe there was. But people way too often get hung up on the fact that at times there are effects on songs, and suddenly "that's not even really MJ, it must be fake" like Jason Malachi is just waiting in the wings of Branca's to jump scare fans and force us to listen to him while he beats us.

True. This is my main takeaway from this.

True. This is my main takeaway from this.
Michael increased his range constantly th
I promise you, if you think that demo is from anything other then the 80s, you are just wrong
The Xscape album booklet, Paul Anka, The Michael Jackson Estate. Every official outlet covering these songs
Right…the “official” story.

Michael increased his range continuously and exponentially through the years.

Just as he did with his dancing, his face, his hair his wardrobe and everything else it took for hiim to stay number one ...

There is no range like 2000watts or Butterflies represented on his previous works, whether fans are "fans'' of those songs or not.

He GREW in every way ... especially the thing that sells the records...his voice

as well as dance... for those paying more than the usual attention it is rather obvious lol no offense

You won't hear that level of falsetto near the end of TII in She's Out of My Life or Lady In My Life for that matter.

''...those who have ears to HEAR, let them LISTEN...''

Last edited:

Just as he did with his dancing, his face, his hair his wardrobe and everything else it took for hiim to stay number one ...

There is no range like 2000watts or Butterflies represented on his previous works, whether fans are "fans'' of those songs or not.

He GREW in every way ... especially the thing that sells the records...his voice

as well as dance... for those paying more than the usual attention it is rather obvious lol no offense

You won't hear that level of falsetto near the end of TII in She's Out of My Life or Lady In My Life for that matter.

Stop taking drugs. Stop smoking weed.

I like that you brought this up thank you for a reasonable comparitive analysis.

Rock With You is a perfect comparison. Its not nearly as deep and ''mature'' as This Is It, but a very exellent comparison!!
"You're takin' MORPHINE!"

Huh?

The vocals are clearly from the early 80s between 80 and 81 I reckon.

For what it's worth, the vocals are not a final take quality in my opinion, MJ just messing around trying to get a feel of the song.

Love never felt so good, the sample that was on that Drake song and this is it (I never heard)

They all sound like they came from the same period when he worked with Paul Anka.

There is no way in hell that these are mature vocals.

Back