Thoughts on the music video and the song, You Are Not Alone.

I find it wrong to listen to considering R.Kelly had such a big hand in it's production.

YANA is a wonderful song, so moving. It's one of my favourites. Though the video is just weird, I can't tell what's wrong with it, but something is very wrong with it. I love the live performances of YANA. It would be great if someone made a more tasteful video for YANA

@@mjfanatic777

525px-Daybreak_by_Parrish_%281922%29.jpg

Wikipedia stuff:

Daybreak is a painting by American artist Maxfield Parrish made in 1922. Daybreak, inspired by the landscape of Vermont and New Hampshire to create lush and romantic tones,[1] is regarded as the most popular art print of the 20th century, based on number of prints made[citation needed]:

Parrish referred to Daybreak as his "great painting", the epitome of his work.

From January 2023:

Last edited:
YANA is a wonderful song, so moving. It's one of my favourites. Though the video is just weird, I can't tell what's wrong with it, but something is very wrong with it. I love the live performances of YANA. It would be great if someone made a more tasteful video for YANA
I agree. Love the song but the video is too awkward for me.

I find it wrong to listen to considering R.Kelly had such a big hand in it's production.
I feel like Lisa Marie's passing drowns and cancels out R.Kelly's involvement. That and, it's still MJ. It's like not listening to Aaliyahs music.

I loved the song at the time. The video, not so much, but for a different reason. It felt like a regular music video to me, not a grandiose Short Film like we were used to with Dangerous and Bad albums. The CGI wings were a bit too much for me, I was glad they edited them out afterwards.

Mediocre song, awful video and may R. Kelly rot in prison.

I don’t care who wrote it but both the song and video are among Michael’s worst moments In his career. It’s a stupid boysband song.

I don’t care who wrote it but both the song and video are among Michael’s worst moments In his career. It’s a stupid boysband song.
It's much more than a "boyband" song. It has great vocals, and the key change after the bridge is classic Jackson. Aside from Black Or White, it's probably his most well-known song from the '90s.

I was uncomfortable watching until I learned the story behind the making of this video. I like the video, but it would have been more interesting to hear their duet.

It's much more than a "boyband" song. It has great vocals, and the key change after the bridge is classic Jackson. Aside from Black Or White, it's probably his most well-known song from the '90s.
I agree. It was VERY popular when it was released among mostly non-fans from what I can remember. So many friends of mine and people I knew where like "OMG, I loooove YANA, it's so good!" and I remember thinking "really? It's kinda meh to me"...I just couldn't see why everyone loved it so much lol
I think I may have connected more with it had he sung it with live vocals at any point. That probably would have made a difference to me.

I agree. It was VERY popular when it was released among mostly non-fans from what I can remember. So many friends of mine and people I knew where like "OMG, I loooove YANA, it's so good!" and I remember thinking "really? It's kinda meh to me"...I just couldn't see why everyone loved it so much lol
I think I may have connected more with it had he sung it with live vocals at any point. That probably would have made a difference to me.
I remember it being played on the radio non-stop. It was everywhere. People loved it, and it was comforting to see MJ's music regain so much popularity following those horrific allegations. Really the only post-1993 MJ song to have that effect.

One can say that the 'You Are Not Alone' music video should be accused of cultural appropriation.

The reason is that this music video extensively uses Greek (classical-styled) artistic imagery, ancient Greek mythological elements, references to Greek Gods, and so on.

But this is not the only issue with the 'You Are Not Alone' music video.

Michael Jackson has an extremely feminine look, the interaction between him and Lisa Marie Presley looks very forced and contrived, and the wings on him make this music video look even sappier.

The song doesn't deserve a music video.

I think Heal the World and They Don’t Care about Us are more well known, while Will You Be There? and Earth Song should be about equally so.

I agree with your assessment, though. Michael’s vocals elevate the song high above so called boy band music.

I remember it being played on the radio non-stop. It was everywhere. People loved it, and it was comforting to see MJ's music regain so much popularity following those horrific allegations. Really the only post-1993 MJ song to have that effect.
I think that depends on where you were. Here in Sweden, I’d say Earth Song and TDCAU were at least as impactful. Even Stranger in Moscow made somewhat of a splash.

Michael Jackson has an extremely feminine look
If that was an problem, how did Boy George, David Bowie, Prince, Elton John, Little Richard, RuPaul, & all of those 1980s glam metal bands have a career? Same for those popular Madea movies by Tyler Perry. Tom Hanks got his big break on the 1980s sitcom Bosom Buddies. A lot of those current male K-pop groups kinda look feminine too and that's a big business.

I think Heal the World and They Don’t Care about Us are more well known, while Will You Be There? and Earth Song should be about equally so.

I agree with your assessment, though. Michael’s vocals elevate the song high above so called boy band music.
Not in North America. Only TDCAU now has that clout.

I think I said this elsewhere on here but I usually listen to this song acapella. The full song I find really annoying for some reason, also not a fan of the video.

The version on HIStory is fine but imo this is the best version of the song:
omg, that was good. Strips away all the sugary sweetness which I'm not keen on. Those long notes at 4m 30s - RK did a much better job with them. The whole thing was 😲

Say what you must about R.Kelly but he went hard with this mix, especially at the end of the song.
god, yeah! So much more interesting than the official version.

Back