Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

I seriously doubt there is a single MJ fan or MJ music lover in the Estate Team. It's a catastrophe. It's as if a team of deaf guys were managing MJ's legacy.

Having listened to the early leaks and now the better quality streaming release...I feel like this is a solid but unremarkable project.

I think we as the more 'hardcore' fans have to remember that we've been blessed with leaks over the years, if not for these then songs like Starlight & Trouble would be much more interesting and exciting. There are some obvious mis-haps like CGOOTR but I kind of expect some shortcomings with this Estate so thankfully this is pretty inoffensive and just a waste of space rather than anything dramatically bad.

Starlight is interesting to listen to in slightly higher quality, it's certainly a novelty but thank god they changed this up into Thriller. Maybe I'm just conditioned to Thriller now but that instrumental just doesn't suit a song with those lyrics at all. Screams horror - glad they saw sense.

Got The Hots is funky, we all know this already. Decent song, not strong enough for Thriller but if Michael was as profligate as Prince this probably would've ended up on another album in the 80's.

Who Do You Know is a really lovely song, the highlight of this release. Would be really surprised if this hasn't been considered for a 'full' release yet, and is hope for us all that there are in fact more unknown gems out there to be discovered still.

Carousel - not much to say on this. Nice to have the full version on Spotify. Lovely song but doesn't do anything interesting enough for an album release, very bland and cookie cutter. Can see why it wasn't ever released properly.

Behind The Mask - Nice to hear the rough original demo. I actually quite like the rawness. A medium ground between this and the 2010 remix would be perfect for me. Those crowd noises were so unnecessary.

The Toy is nice but those lyrics are awkward - glad he saw sense and changed them for Best of Joy. The vocals are lush though.

What A Lovely Way To Go is definitely odd and jarring on first listen, but it's a grower and I appreciate the different style he was leaning into. The Beatles comparison is really apt. Would be really interested to see what Mark Ronson could do with those vocals.

She's Trouble - A banger and as I touched on earlier, would be much more hyped up right if it hadn't have been leaked for years. Great to have a high quality version of this. Same goes for Sunset Driver.

Overall not bad but not great. Par for the course for the Estate really. You have to assume Hot Street and Niteline will be up for release on a 'full' album soon if they weren't included here. Makes absolutely no sense otherwise. Between some of these tracks and the Chicago 1945 & Dream Away leaks we've had a pretty good week for new Michael after such a barren spell. Definitely not an Estate apologist but I'm taking what I can get at this stage! A bit disappointed not to get more demo's like 'The Girl Is Mine' and 'Baby Be Mine' seeing as though they put PYT Demo on here.

And nobody in The Estate team had the idea to release the audio version of the song in the Thriller video? I wonder if they even have the slightest clue that Thriller refrain in the video comes at a completely different time than in the album version. Instead we have re-hashed remixes on Spotify. They're deaf and know nothing about MJ's music and its remaining potential. Yes I'm ranting. Yes I'm disappointed. Yes I'm angry. MJ's legacy is in the wrong hands, because it seems fans have to do what the Estate was supposed to do:

Last edited:
What are the chances that MJ was playing the piano on What a Lovely Way to Go? I know he didn't play many instruments he was much more of a vocalist but he knew his harmony, his theory and he had rhythm. What a Lovely Way to Go is out of time. Do you think this is because Michael was playing and singing at the same time and hasn't much experience with that? I know I struggle with that.

So many toxic fans. Always been that way since the beginning. Never happy or satisfied with anything. We could have you know nothing as Michael isn’t here anymore so I’m very happy to enjoy these little gems and enjoy all he gave us when he was alive. It’s a bonus in my eyes.

First Thoughts on Thriller 40 CD2
 Starlight (6/10): I really like that they included the track in the project. For a normie fan this song should be a very interesting theme
Got The Hots (6/10): The song is pretty mediocre for my tastes but sometimes can be enjoyable
Who Do You Know (4/10): Now that's a Hot take but I find the song pretty boring. Although I am thankful that it's in the album. Maybe it'll grow on me
Carousel (4/10): Same thoughts as Who Do You Know
Behind The Mask (7/10): I'm so happy that I finally listened to the OG demo. I love it's demo state and how scratchy are the vocals and the instrumental
The Toy (6/10): Same as BTM.
What A Lovely Way Too Go (10/10): I love this song. I love how different and experimental this track is for Michael's standards. And as a fan of Elton John's music this track is a treat for me.
She's Trouble (9/10): One of my all time favorites unreleased songs. I am so happy that we finally have the HQ version. Huge song IMO.
Now the OTW tracks don't even count for me.

Thriller 40 : 6.5/10

I was ranting, and when finally I try to calm down I see the horrible art job for Thriller 40. I mean, really?

550x550.jpg

First Thoughts on Thriller 40 CD2
 Starlight (6/10): I really like that they included the track in the project. For a normie fan this song should be a very interesting theme
Got The Hots (6/10): The song is pretty mediocre for my tastes but sometimes can be enjoyable
Who Do You Know (4/10): Now that's a Hot take but I find the song pretty boring. Although I am thankful that it's in the album. Maybe it'll grow on me
Carousel (4/10): Same thoughts as Who Do You Know
Behind The Mask (7/10): I'm so happy that I finally listened to the OG demo. I love it's demo state and how scratchy are the vocals and the instrumental
The Toy (6/10): Same as BTM.
What A Lovely Way Too Go (10/10): I love this song. I love how different and experimental this track is for Michael's standards. And as a fan of Elton John's music this track is a treat for me.
She's Trouble (9/10): One of my all time favorites unreleased songs. I am so happy that we finally have the HQ version. Huge song IMO.
Now the OTW tracks don't even count for me.

Thriller 40 : 6.5/10
Yes! Another huge fan of What a lovely way to Go.

So many toxic fans. Always been that way since the beginning. Never happy or satisfied with anything. We could have you know nothing as Michael isn’t here anymore so I’m very happy to enjoy these little gems and enjoy all he gave us when he was alive. It’s a bonus in my eyes.
Let's not mix up toxic fans and having the right to raise eyebrows. It's Thriller era and we have the already released Get Outta the Rain (Thriller era? Hello?) and no sign of Niteline or Hot Street. Not to mention the full version of The Lady In My Life. Those are legitimate questions, not toxicity. One may wonder if the Estate have a clue what they're doing other than releasing peanuts and milking us. 10 tracks and no additional space on the second CD?

Last edited:
Huh, Starlight sounds totally fine on Apple Music. No chopping noise. Was the leak from a few days ago actually a bad rip?

I envy the people who like WALWTG, the vocals are good but the instrumental completely ruins the song Imo. Desperately hoping that the 2010 remix leaks.

After listening to BTM it kind of confirms the theory we had when we saw the title (Mike's demo mix) it's basically a home demo.

Surely Behind The Mask made it to Westlake? I'm assuming Quincy is being difficult about releasing his productions
You're 100% correct. There are obviously later versions, based on the fact that the MICHAEL version contains a more complete vocal and the Phillenganes version has a more fleshed-out instrumental.

If the Estate wanted to give MJ's catalogue the intellectual appreciation it deserves (as has been done with Prince and Miles Davis), they'd compile a box set that shows the development of his [relatively limited] catalogue. Instead, they've given us what is within arms-length of their shallow pool of material, since they're not willing to share the potentially vast beach with those who collaborated with MJ during his lifetime.

WALWTG is such a nice sweet demo. Great vocals. It goes a bit in many directions. Experimental. I like it a lot. Also just great to hear new vocals and hear something all new.

Who Do You Know is beautiful. - If it gets finalized by John McClain it could be all up with the greats like Much Too Soon, I'm So Blue, Loving You, For All Time and other great slow ballads. Such emotions in those vocals. Great.

WALWTG is such a nice sweet demo. Great vocals. It goes a bit in many directions. Experimental. I like it a lot. Also just great to hear new vocals and hear something all new.

Who Do You Know is beautiful. - If it gets finalized by John McClain it could be all up with the greats like Much Too Soon, I'm So Blue, Loving You, For All Time and other great slow ballads. Such emotions in those vocals. Great.
I hope Branca will finish all the songs on the next album.

so.. did the estate deactivate comments to prevent from critism?

Can someone send me (even in pm) the leaked carousel file, the good quality one? i can't find it, thanks

I could have sworn we were getting Slapstick. Did I just dream this?
Why would they release Slapstick on a Thriller re-issue? Slapstick is Thriller era just like Niteline and Hot Street, and I don't see any reason why the Estate would associate it with Thriller release. But instead we have Get Outta The Rain and plenty of empty space on the second CD. Isn't that cool though?

Back