Thriller 40th Anniversary - Songs Discussion

so some say its better others say new versions are worse? any facts instead of simple opinions that boost these arguments of being better or worse?

^ Carousel is muffled on T40, that's a fact. It doesn't have a polished sound.

CGOTR has great stereo separation and vocals up front, it sounds like a remaster from Grundman. The 2008 master isn't bad, it just sounds like an original master from the Thriller era - which has been an improvement from its previous non-digital (Vinyl) formats. Whether you like the sound of a remaster or an original master is up to everyone's taste. The original masters usually have more dynamics whereas the remasters often enhance some sonic details but tend to be issued brickwalled on commercial releases.

I don't think I have listened to CGOOTR yet on the album, I see no reason to visit it :p

Shes Trouble obviously. Good to know about Starlight though.

Sunset Driver version and rest is worse than previous versions?
Sunset Driver is better than TUC. Everything else sounds at least modestly better from 2008 releases or earlier.

It has arrived and can confirm it sounds great. Can see what some reviews are saying about everything sounding natural and not compressed. Still has quite a bit of thump though whilst sounding open in my opinion. I'm sure other pressings sound more "dance-ey" than this one and are a bit more aggressive sounding as that's what a lot of people are saying but I didn't miss any bass and I think it sounds fabulous.

14U4NSzY_o.jpg

It has arrived and can confirm it sounds great. Can see what some reviews are saying about everything sounding natural and not compressed. Still has quite a bit of thump though whilst sounding open in my opinion. I'm sure other pressings sound more "dance-ey" than this one and are a bit more aggressive sounding as that's what a lot of people are saying but I didn't miss any bass and I think it sounds fabulous.

14U4NSzY_o.jpg
Mine hasn't even shipped yet... which is a real bummer. I've been looking forward to listening to it and the SACD.

14U4NSzY_o.jpg
Fantastic! Mine is still on the way!

14U4NSzY_o.jpg
I know it's a bit too much, but is it possible for you to do an in-depth review of your thoughts in detail, please?

This is the definitive proof to me that WALWTG is a good song but is held back by the instrumentals. Put some tweaks here and there and this is a pretty good mix. Hoping to hear the 2010 remix more than ever now, it can save the song from being a subpar outtake lol.

This is the definitive proof to me that WALWTG is a good song but is held back by the instrumentals. Put some tweaks here and there and this is a pretty good mix. Hoping to hear the 2010 remix more than ever now, it can save the song from being a subpar outtake lol.
It is an abysmal composition with the most immature and cringe of choruses ever created. Can't believe MJ,who always got killer choruses,composed trash like that.
Tho this mix sounds great during the verses,way better than the actual song for sure.
I also agree,the instrumental for Lovely Way (the one on the actual song) is beyond ridiculous.
I never thought I would hate anything Mike did musically but the chorus for Lovely Way is beyond subpar. And the lycris don't make any sense it's just no....worst song created before 1990 period. I mean it

I tried, but the contrasting keys made this unlistenable as well haha. I definitely think a better production could help, but the musical elements still aren’t there imo.

Just speaking in general on this, no one in particular is being addressed;

I really don't know why we're debating it this hard. He never finished it. He didn't even look at it again after this. It's the epitome of a demo, either you accept that or don't. But acting like it's the worst thing you've ever heard is just crazy to me. It's a little folk jaunt he made and tinkered with and then moved on to so many other things in the 80s. Maybe this is just the proof we shouldn't be allowed to hear MJ's work demoes and outtakes, if we're just gonna get mad about it.

I don't understand how they could include lower quality versions of ALREADY RELEASED songs like PYT Demo!?

Just speaking in general on this, no one in particular is being addressed;

I really don't know why we're debating it this hard. He never finished it. He didn't even look at it again after this. It's the epitome of a demo, either you accept that or don't. But acting like it's the worst thing you've ever heard is just crazy to me. It's a little folk jaunt he made and tinkered with and then moved on to so many other things in the 80s. Maybe this is just the proof we shouldn't be allowed to hear MJ's work demoes and outtakes, if we're just gonna get mad about it.
I don’t think anybody’s getting mad about it, or overlooking the fact that it’s a demo. We just really don’t like what we’re hearing. The fact that it’s one of only two never-before-heard tracks makes the disappointment even more intense. I can listen to “Don’t Be Messin’” or “Gloucestershire” or “I Am a Loser” or any of MJ’s other half-finished demos and still love the core musical concepts. This is one that just doesn’t make an impact on me.

Plus, not everybody is gonna like certain songs. That’s the name of the game. It was like that even when MJ was alive.

I don’t think anybody’s getting mad about it, or overlooking the fact that it’s a demo. We just really don’t like what we’re hearing. The fact that it’s one of only two never-before-heard tracks makes the disappointment even more intense. I can listen to “Don’t Be Messin’” or “Gloucestershire” or “I Am a Loser” or any of MJ’s other half-finished demos and still love the core musical concepts. This is one that just doesn’t make an impact on me.

Plus, not everybody is gonna like certain songs. That’s the name of the game. It was like that even when MJ was alive.
Exactly

I think it's specifically just the complaining that an old unfinished demo sounds old and unfinished that bothers me haha. Like did people expect it to sound like it came out today or something lol.

Well not liking it is prime of course. I'm fine with that, and I agree it'd be a downer if that's the only new stuff we get. That's just subjective, though, that's all I'm saying. Likes, dislikes, it's all subjective.

And saying what's the worse is always strongly subjective. Especially when Privacy is right there.

Back