Thriller 40th Anniversary

Do people still listen to the demos on disc 2? Ngl, The Toy and Who Do You Know are the only songs I go back to, the rest I didn't give much of a thought after the album's release.

Who Do You Know is the only song I listen to because that was one of the first songs I read about being an outtake from Thriller.....I heard The Toy some years ago and wasn't impressed......WALWTG was nice on the first listen but I don't think I've went back to listen again.....the rest are songs we had for years.

Who Do You Know is the only song I listen to because that was one of the first songs I read about being an outtake from Thriller.....I heard The Toy some years ago and wasn't impressed......WALWTG was nice on the first listen but I don't think I've went back to listen again.....the rest are songs we had for years.
How’d you hear The Toy early

Several people have heard The Toy for years. I think it was actually registered into the Library of Congress before Thriller 40 was released.
It's probably easier to get access to because it was for a soundtrack? Interesting it didn't end up on the Ultimate Collection.

The official Twitter account of MJ has lost its blue checkmark, btw.
Some celebs are paying to keep theirs, aren't they? Found this tweet.

@MJJSpotify2015
"MJ Estate to cheap and lazy to pay for a verified blue checkmark. Bad enough they release a new song/Album every 4-5 years. Joke. "Michael" 2010, Xscape 2014, Scream 2017, Thriller 40 2022. It's honestly pathetic."

Last edited:
Do people still listen to the demos on disc 2? Ngl, The Toy and Who Do You Know are the only songs I go back to, the rest I didn't give much of a thought after the album's release.
I only play Who Do You Know from time to time. Especially the fan made version of the song by the Channel Qualitymixes on YouTube.

Last edited:
I listened to Disc 2 for the first time in months yesterday and I'm still convinced WALWTG is from the mid 70's. Mike's voice sounds so young and those background adlibs ("hurt so many times" around 3.06) sound like he did when he did Destiny

On the whole Disc 2 isn't bad but the audio quality is so poor for an official release.

I still listen to Who Do You Know regularly, it gives me This Is It and I'm So Blue vibes
I think you’re spot on mate. Especially those parts when he sings “give me a chance babe”. Those Adlibs sounds like they’re straight from the destiny era.

I listened to Disc 2 for the first time in months yesterday and I'm still convinced WALWTG is from the mid 70's. Mike's voice sounds so young and those background adlibs ("hurt so many times" around 3.06) sound like he did when he did Destiny

On the whole Disc 2 isn't bad but the audio quality is so poor for an official release.

I still listen to Who Do You Know regularly, it gives me This Is It and I'm So Blue vibes

WALWTG is from 76. I still don't get how his estate tried to pass this off as Thriller.

Some celebs are paying to keep theirs, aren't they? Found this tweet.

@MJJSpotify2015
"MJ Estate to cheap and lazy to pay for a verified blue checkmark. Bad enough they release a new song/Album every 4-5 years. Joke. "Michael" 2010, Xscape 2014, Scream 2017, Thriller 40 2022. It's honestly pathetic."

I am embarrassed that people waste their time with this blue checkmark crap. I am not mad about this at all.

I am embarrassed that people waste their time with this blue checkmark crap. I am not mad about this at all.
Fair point. :ROFLMAO:

Not on Twitter myself so I don't pay attention to the blue tick stuff. Still think it's slightly odd that MJE haven't paid for the thing to continue. But I have no idea if it really matters plus, y'know, MJE. They're just weird, lol.

And if the Estate did pay for the checkmark, some fans would still complain and bother. (why did you pay for twitter blue? blah blah blah) Damned if you do, Damned if you Don't. This blue checkmark means nothing anyways especially when they're just allowing anyone to have one these days.

Several people have heard The Toy for years. I think it was actually registered into the Library of Congress before Thriller 40 was released.
How would one go about requesting to listen to these songs

I play “Who Do You Know” every now and then, but nothing else really appeals to me. “She’s Trouble” is nice to have in high(er) quality but I’ve played it so many times over the years that it’s lost a bit of its luster.

I play “Who Do You Know” every now and then, but nothing else really appeals to me. “She’s Trouble” is nice to have in high(er) quality but I’ve played it so many times over the years that it’s lost a bit of its luster.
I'm pretty much the same mate. I will say this version of She's Trouble did a lot more for me than the leaked one.

I've never been a big fan of the song, but on first listen of Disc 2 I was shocked how much I enjoyed She's Trouble

Didnt MJ have an archivist? At least in the 80s/90s? Hopefully the Billie Jean Master is just misplaced (like the Bad tour film 🤞🙏) and not tossed. It's a shame that it was just "standard practice" to throw away masters after being edited to tape.
Hopefully we get some HD Billie Jean scenes in the doc.......if it ever actually gets released lol
Imagine me being his archivist in the 80s/90s.. Actually describing the demo's, making copies.. :)

Imagine me being his archivist in the 80s/90s.. Actually describing the demo's, making copies.. :)
Susan Rogers, a sound engineer, did that for Prince. I don't know if she was literally making copies but she did create a proper database for the two-inch, quarter-inch, half-inch tapes, stuff like that. She also collected his master tapes - or some of them, at least.

Susan Rogers, a sound engineer, did that for Prince. I don't know if she was literally making copies but she did create a proper database for the two-inch, quarter-inch, half-inch tapes, stuff like that. She also collected his master tapes - or some of them, at least.
It seems MJ's legacy is kind of a mess in comparison..? Understatement? With a proper, complete, maybe even digitalized database it would be so much easier to compile 'new' work and 'finish' demo's it would seem. We at least wouldn't have to rely on the producers to hear his music

Back