Thriller 40th Anniversary

While I enjoy the HD experience of thriller I still don't see why everything now needs to be in HD. It is not THAT important, so if the upgrade is not possible then so be it, it is not a game changer imo.
It was always meant to be important. It simply wasn't possible at the time, the industry has been working towards this forever. Otherwise we'd still be on analog and CRTs.

It was always meant to be important. It simply wasn't possible at the time, the industry has been working towards this forever. Otherwise we'd still be on analog and CRTs.
True I guess but depending on age it is not that important. My grandparents didn't mind watching black & white tv either lol
But I get it.

regarding T40 documentary:

this is yet another example of how the MJ estate is not transparent at all and how they don't give a damn about us.
It's mid April.. Not a single word of the T40 doc..

If they actually would give a damn about us they would make a post apologising and telling why it's so delayed..
It's literally 5 minutes to make a post..

I was really ready for that documentary...
now its almost forgotten

The MJ musical has made 1.7 million average each week this year, at this rate it is on pace to have have made 64 million by the end of the year putting it's revenue up to 167 million by the end of 2023. At this rate it would be 25th all time with only 800 or so performances. And that's assuming ticket prices don't recieve a huge spike which could make it even higher.

Last edited:
Didnt MJ have an archivist? At least in the 80s/90s? Hopefully the Billie Jean Master is just misplaced (like the Bad tour film 🤞🙏) and not tossed. It's a shame that it was just "standard practice" to throw away masters after being edited to tape.
Hopefully we get some HD Billie Jean scenes in the doc.......if it ever actually gets released lol

Didnt MJ have an archivist? At least in the 80s/90s?
Yes. Karen Langford. No idea if she's still doing the job or if someone new has taken over. I saw a video clip ages ago where some tv reporter went to one of the warehouses where Michael's stuff is stored. For me, it raised more questions than it answered about how his material archives are being managed.

Hopefully the Billie Jean Master is just misplaced (like the Bad tour film 🤞🙏) and not tossed.
This is what worries me. A well-run archive should mean that this sort of thing doesn't happen - or hardly ever. No archive is perfect and I'm not criticising Karen Langford bc I don't know how much anyone actually listens to her. It's not unusual for archivists to give their professional opinion on how stuff should be managed and then they get ignored. So it's hard to know what's really happening.

If the tapes were stored and managed separately from all the other stuff - costumes etc - that would be fine. That would probably be better, actually. That said, maybe Michael never legally owned that material so the masters wouldn't be part of his own archives. If it's a question of legal ownership, surely that's a reason to at least keep an accurate database of everything, where is it, who owns what, can it be accessed for use on future projects.

It's a shame that it was just "standard practice" to throw away masters after being edited to tape.
I find this so hard to believe. It literally makes no sense. :(

Hopefully we get some HD Billie Jean scenes in the doc.......if it ever actually gets released lol
:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Didnt MJ have an archivist? At least in the 80s/90s? [ ... ]
Sorry, mate! You pushed one of my buttons, lol. Just found this comment on an old thread:

I don't think Karen Langford was Michael's archive manager back in the day. She happens to be a paralegal that works for Branca and handled a lot of Michael's business and legal affairs in that capacity. It seems in her current position with the MJ Estate, she also became the one that's responsible with the archiving process.
If that is true, if Karen Langford wasn't a professional archivist, that would explain a LOT. To me, at least.

I need to go and lie down!

Last edited:
Sorry, mate! You pushed one of my buttons, lol. Just found this comment on an old thread:

If that is true, if Karen Langford wasn't a professional archivist, that would explain a LOT. To me, at least.

I need to go and lie down!
Ah, so she was only hired because she was Branca's friend, not because she was good at perserving things. What more can I expect from a greedy lawyer like Branca?

Ah, so she was only hired because she was Branca's friend,
Tbh, I have no idea and I'm sick of the whole subject, lol. It's so flaming confusing. :ROFLMAO:

not because she was good at perserving things.
I'm not convinced that 'preserving' Michael's material archives is much of a priority. If the person looking after the contents of the warehouse is not a qualified archivist that's the only conclusion I can come to. Really, really hope I'm wrong but not feeling confident about any of this.

What more can I expect from a greedy lawyer like Branca?
I found an interesting document - presumably legit - about Karen Langford working as a paralegal and having a connection to Michael and John Branca. But the 60 Minutes tv programme (that did the visit to Michael's warehouse) calls her an archivist plus we have this:

Karen is credited as archivist in one of the MTV docs about the Bad Tour iirc. That's weird if she wasn't really.
I think she wore different 'hats' depending on her required duties on different days. It would not surprise me if they dumped the job of archivist onto someone with no proper professional qualifications. It would not be the first time that happened. Anyway, that document:

Haven't read this in detail. Seems to be about merchandise being ripped off, as far as I can tell. If it's legit, it's Karen Langford stating that she worked as a paralegal for 29 years. See Section 1 for that; mentions Michael.

Then there is this:

"Karen Langford was friends with Michael Jackson and worked with him from 1981 until his death. She’s now the archivist for the Jackson estate. There are rows and rows, floor to ceiling, of Jackson’s possessions, most of it never seen publicly since he died. This warehouse is 20,000 square feet. Every inch of it is full. There are antiques and video games from Neverland ranch, his Grammys…"

Don't wanna post the link bc it's another MJ online thing. Just Google "karen langford mj archivist" and it will come up. There are quotes from KL, also John Branca and Zack O'Malley Greenburg.

The entire situation is ridiculous and, since we're talking about BJ masters, presumably it's the record company that needs to step up since they must be the legal owners of the master tapes. I think that's right. I'm no expert on any of this. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
I'm sure MJ had a deal to own the masters of his videos.
Hm, fair point. That does ring a bell, now you mention it. Although, if the record company paid for the video shoot, wouldn't they own the masters? god, I'm confused, lol. I'm gonna leave the convo to you guys, my brain is mashed potato! I have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion. :D

Hm, fair point. That does ring a bell, now you mention it. Although, if the record company paid for the video shoot, wouldn't they own the masters? god, I'm confused, lol. I'm gonna leave the convo to you guys, my brain is mashed potato! I have nothing useful to contribute to this discussion. :D
You do have a lot to contribute, it's not a discussion with only one person, right?

As far as I remember, at least Thriller is owned by Michael since he paid for it. But again, why are the 35mm negs of Beat It with the Estate then if Sony (Epic) paid for production?

You do have a lot to contribute, it's not a discussion with only one person, right?
Again, fair point!

As far as I remember, at least Thriller is owned by Michael since he paid for it.
Yeah, that would be his property outright. At least, I assume so.

But again, why are the 35mm negs of Beat It with the Estate then if Sony (Epic) paid for production?
Good question. These are the things I just don't understand (Gary Numan, soz!). There are parts of Michael's story that I find so confusing. I know Michael was a bit chaotic with this type of stuff but, tbf, his job is to be the musical genius. Other people should be taking care of the admin.

Last edited:
Do people still listen to the demos on disc 2? Ngl, The Toy and Who Do You Know are the only songs I go back to, the rest I didn't give much of a thought after the album's release.

Do people still listen to the demos on disc 2? Ngl, The Toy and Who Do You Know are the only songs I go back to, the rest I didn't give much of a thought after the album's release.
I don't, not even She's Trouble even though that was the song i waited for the most.

I listen to The Toy but that's it. I think if the sound quality is better but I might have but yeah it all sounds quite bad.

Last edited:
She's Trouble is the one on repeat since for me. Who Do You Know a couple of times and that's about it.

I still like Who Do You Know but haven't really gone back to the Thriller 40 album. Actually, I am now hooked on listening to "slowed & reverb" fan made mixes of songs from the Thriller album.

I give Who Do You Know regular listens. I put it in a playlist with lots of contemporary songs with good harmonies and it wins as far as favorable stack ups go.

I listen to the Toy and Best of Joy together. It's the only way. I do the same with both versions of Behind The Mask. I've been playing that song ever since it came out though. I just listened to Sunset Driver the other day too. And Starlight

Otherwise, I play the Long Version of Billie Jean, the edit of Human Nature, and the PYT demo. The disc 3 content is pretty useful.

And off of disc 1, I've been playing Baby Be Mine way more.

Otherwise, it's all Thriller leaks.

Last edited:
I listened to Disc 2 for the first time in months yesterday and I'm still convinced WALWTG is from the mid 70's. Mike's voice sounds so young and those background adlibs ("hurt so many times" around 3.06) sound like he did when he did Destiny

On the whole Disc 2 isn't bad but the audio quality is so poor for an official release.

I still listen to Who Do You Know regularly, it gives me This Is It and I'm So Blue vibes

I have to say the last few months I have not been listening to a lot of MJ, maybe 4 to 5 songs a week.

Dreams away and Chicago 1945 I have listened to less than 5 times in total.

Back