Thriller 40th Anniversary

Yeah, IIRC when asked about the status of TMBTLTT before it was released Roger described trying to get the track out like wading through mud.
They started to work on the project in 2011 and only managed to get it out in 2014 after loads of compromises, and even then they were left unsatisfied with it. I won't blame them one bit if it's revealed that the Estate approached them for another project but they were told to buzz off.

Yeah, IIRC when asked about the status of TMBTLTT before it was released Roger described trying to get the track out like wading through mud.
Something that is really mind boggling to me is how Victory seemed to be Queen's first pick. I remember seeing comments that it's the least complete of their joint sessions.

Something that is really mind boggling to me is how Victory seemed to be Queen's first pick. I remember seeing comments that it's the least complete of their joint sessions.
The book For The Record stated that Brian and Roger tried to release the song in 2002 but they had no idea how to finish it. I don't know how reliable that is since a lot of the book is outdated at this point.

The book For The Record stated that Brian and Roger tried to release the song in 2002 but they had no idea how to finish it. I don't know how reliable that is since a lot of the book is outdated at this point.
If that's in fact the case, I bet they can work around it. Most of the outtakes from their Miracle sessions are unfinished and they had to work them for the boxset released last year.

Just imagine there is footage of Freddie and Michael in the studio, they could make a beautiful video out of it accompanying Victory. It would also get LOTS of attention. They both are without doubt the most popular artists these days originating in the 1970s/1980s. The Estate should relish working with Queen to get this song done. It is perhaps the last chance of getting MJ in the singles charts again. Why do they not see that?

Just imagine there is footage of Freddie and Michael in the studio, they could make a beautiful video out of it accompanying Victory. It would also get LOTS of attention. They both are without doubt the most popular artists these days originating in the 1970s/1980s. The Estate should relish working with Queen to get this song done. It is perhaps the last chance of getting MJ in the singles charts again. Why do they not see that?
I don't think they like making compromises and want to do it their way or not at all.

I disagree. Give some unfinished MJ demo to a popular contemporary artist and he will be on the singles charts, even 15 years from now.

Hopefully more like Love Never Felt So Good.

But if they'd give it to Kendrick or Tyler the creator then we'd have something real on our hands.
Kendrick, Anderson Paak or Bruno Mars would be perfect for an MJ collaboration.

They look up to him and I think they would care that the demo was respected and well represented. Not just copy and paste Mike's vocals onto their beat

As for the Freddie/Michael duets, I've never really thought much of them to be honest. I don't think Thriller era Mike and Freddie's voices blend that well together.

The less said about that William Orbit mix the better

Apparently there was no chemistry at all between Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury during that recording session, which in turn resulted in these duets not being good enough.

There were not even other musicians, producers, sound engineers, etc, present at that recording session, as confirmed by Freddie Mercury's personal assistant Peter Freestone.

There is also a story that Michael Jackson did not like the fact that Freddie Mercury smoked a lot in his home studio (in Encino) where together they recorded these duets.

There is also a story that Michael Jackson did not like the fact that Freddie Mercury smoked a lot in his home studio (in Encino) where together they recorded these duets.
Michael had a problem with Freddie's use of cocaine during the session.

The 3 songs worked on are demos with nothing being fully recorded. State of Shock was recorded in 1982 and Mercury said it almost made it on Thriller but they couldn’t align their schedules to finish it since they were never in the same place.

The 3 songs worked on are demos with nothing being fully recorded. State of Shock was recorded in 1982 and Mercury said it almost made it on Thriller but they couldn’t align their schedules to finish it since they were never in the same place.
So it was a Thriller outtake after all! Didn't really know that.

honestly wouldn't be surprised if it was meant to take the same spot that was previously held by "She's Trouble" (I think, at least) and later taken by "Beat It."

The 'Victory' duet worked as an inspiration for Michael Jackson to give later that title to the 'Victory' album.

So, the connection between that duet song and that album is a bit deeper.

"[The 'Victory' duet] is the only track that we wrote together which he then used as the title for the Jacksons ['Victory'] album" (Freddie Mercury)

Freddie Mercury also stated that the 'Victory' duet demo sounds great.
Coincidentally, Freddie didn't like that MJ tried to bring his pet llama (Louie) into the studio.
This is just a false myth in the Michael Jackson fan community.

I really think somebody should try and dm Brian on IG asking him what's the actual level of completion of this track. Don't think he'd be a prick about it.

Surely it must be more than a scratch demo? I mean, I feel like Freddie talks about it like it's an actual song. Not just toilet noises and mumbling.

I would assume SOS and TMBMTL are more complete due to MJ and Freddie having sole writers credit on each song while Victory might be less than finished due to them writing together

Back