Thriller 40th Anniversary

Tape copies from the cutting room (you can see the timecodes).
Well those tapes look good enough to restore. They can upscale with way better technology like spike Lee did with rock with you. Smh still cannot believe Steve threw away the 16mm...like WHY WOULD YOU FILM IT & PUT IT ON TAPE?? WHY NOT JUST SHOOT ON TAPE LIKE PREVIOUSLY (OTW ERA) Dk what made mj starting using film but thank God he did. I can imagine what the other shorts could look like but...I guess we'll never see them. Smh I have no idea why the estate can't give us 4k Michael!

Well those tapes look good enough to restore.
They don't.

Smh still cannot believe Steve threw away the 16mm...like WHY WOULD YOU FILM IT & PUT IT ON TAPE?? WHY NOT JUST SHOOT ON TAPE LIKE PREVIOUSLY (OTW ERA) Dk what made mj starting using film but thank God he did.
From all the stories told by various people on the matter, I think the low budget was the issue. They probably approached Epic after filming to increase their budget, which didn't happen, and they were left with no choice but to eliminate steps. Hence why both the raw footage and the final edit were discarded after being transferred onto tape.

In all fairness, I think the Estate could try working with the 1" tape master of Billie Jean.

A while ago, Queen posted an upgrade of their A Kind of Magic music video, remastered from the original 1" master.
It's not HD quality, but it looks much better than the previous copies available on DVD releases.

-1x-1.jpg
John do something !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! plz FEED YOUR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The WHOLE internet is being fed:eek: :ROFLMAO: ..Boxsets EVERYWHERE from EVERYONE. Even McCartney ....
Feed us~? Why are you doing this lol We are the only fanbase that .... ..... Don't make me go 2 the other side U. :ROFLMAO: 🤷‍♀️

Netflix is a horrid service so I'm glad to be free. Too bad they still have majority stakes in the market.

Paramount+ is fine. Unexpected but fine. Glad it wasn't peacock.

In all fairness, I think the Estate could try working with the 1" tape master of Billie Jean.

A while ago, Queen posted an upgrade of their A Kind of Magic music video, remastered from the original 1" master.
It's not HD quality, but it looks much better than the previous copies available on DVD releases.

Yeah, I really don't even need 4K, or even 1080p persay. Just the best quality imaginable, just any kind of enhanced detail.

Beat It can be the start of the new era of MJ video making. Off The Wall clips and Billie Jean, iconic though they are, are relics of their times. But that doesn't change how iconic they are.

And Motown 25 again, maybe will always be SD. Still iconic though.

Yeah, I really don't even need 4K, or even 1080p persay. Just the best quality imaginable, just any kind of enhanced detail.

Beat It can be the start of the new era of MJ video making. Off The Wall clips and Billie Jean, iconic though they are, are relics of their times. But that doesn't change his iconic they are.

And Motown 25 again, maybe will always be SD. Still iconic though.
People still have this idea stuck in their heads that SD quality is like DVD quality or lower. Those people really have to check a SD BluRay and see for themselves how shit and limited DVD was and still is in terms of quality.

This is what SD footage looks like not using the shitty MPEG2 container DVD uses:

Bear in mind both of these are also tape.

People still have this idea stuck in their heads that SD quality is like DVD quality or lower. Those people really have to check a SD BluRay and see for themselves how shit and limited DVD was and still is in terms of quality.

This is what SD footage looks like not using the shitty MPEG2 container DVD uses:

Bear in mind both of these are also tape.
Yeah, I like SD Blu-Rays. It's a cool concept. If nothing else it's about a smaller file size.

For those upset that the Thriller 40 documentary is going to be on Paramount + Showtime and not Netflix; Don't forget that Netflix has a distribution agreement with HBO and would be a conflict of interest. Also the Paramount + Showtime, though is considered a "premium" plan; it's the one most users use. It does not just include Showtime, it rids ads, includes Live TV, & the content is downloadable.

it’s not just a subscription. the only way you can watch this is if you have paramount+ premium PLUS the showtime add on. which is unbelievably stupid
In Scandinavia (and a few more European countries), all you need is Skyshowtime.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t.

I’ll gladly endure a 7-day trial of Paramount+ to watch the documentary. No idea why so many people view that as an issue.
For me it's because you need P+ and the Showtime add-on. I already have P+ because of Star Trek but now I gotta pay more just to watch this one thing lol. Unless they have a trial for the Showtime add-on, that is... Will check once it gets closer to December.

Despite that, I'm just glad that it's on a major platform. I was beginning to worry that LN nuked any chance of a mainstream release of any future MJ stuff. Kinda surprising that it's Paramount though, since that's owned by Viacom, which also owns CBS, and I remember CBS doing a LOT of press for LN when it came out. Guess they had a change of heart?

i bet we are getting a full song from the victory tour show that appears throughout
probably one of the four from thriller (wbss, human nature, beat it, billie jean)

For those upset that the Thriller 40 documentary is going to be on Paramount + Showtime and not Netflix; Don't forget that Netflix has a distribution agreement with HBO and would be a conflict of interest. Also the Paramount + Showtime, though is considered a "premium" plan; it's the one most users use. It does not just include Showtime, it rids ads, includes Live TV, & the content is downloadable.
The Off The Wall doc was on Showtime too, it makes sense.

i bet we are getting a full song from the victory tour show that appears throughout
probably one of the four from thriller (wbss, human nature, beat it, billie jean)
In 4k film quality....idc what it is...long as it's in full which in 58min...I doubt it. It should've been 2hrs long like bad25!

I don't expect there were no complete songs in other documentaries

Back