Thriller 40th Anniversary

This whole overblown reaction regarding Thriller 40 has made me realize something about MJ fans: They, just like the man himself, are never satisfied with anything.

Some of y'all are literally having panic attacks over a font choice. If this is you, I encourage you to take a few deep breaths, turn off the computer/phone, and re-assess your priorities. Like, have you never heard the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover?"

I know that the powers-that-be at the Estate have made dumb decisions in the past, but they're giving us official, unreleased MJ material for the first time in 8 years. This is a victory for us.
yeah sure just let an off putting cheap design on the biggest selling album of all time slide this counts as another dumb decision and its in the present, the whole point of marketing IS to judge the book by its cover and they obviously didnt do a good job or they were counting on fans being blind but im glad you love it hopefully you'd buy that album enough times to make a dent :)

Last edited:
This whole overblown reaction regarding Thriller 40 has made me realize something about MJ fans: They, just like the man himself, are never satisfied with anything.

Some of y'all are literally having panic attacks over a font choice. If this is you, I encourage you to take a few deep breaths, turn off the computer/phone, and re-assess your priorities. Like, have you never heard the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover?"

I know that the powers-that-be at the Estate have made dumb decisions in the past, but they're giving us official, unreleased MJ material for the first time in 8 years. This is a victory for us.

If anyone is freaking out on here it's the people who can't read opinions different from their own without writing rants.

Just because you perceive people not liking a font as "having panic attacks" doesn't mean your perception is correct. Maybe you're the one who needs to take a deep breath and understand that not everyone feels the same way you do?

It's much bigger than just the font anyway. Thriller is the biggest album of all time, slapping that font on it is disrespectful. As others have pointed out it looks like a bootleg release I'd see listed on discogs, not an official product.

Last edited:
The prices for the SACD and the UD1S just shows me how greedy these people are. Just for profit.
And then there is the unfairness, why the fans in Europe have to pay much more for these.

SACD
EU: 42 Euro
US: 28 Euro
50% more!!!

UC1S
EU: 106 Euro
US: 94 Euro

Doese someone know if the Limited Editions just will be available in the MJ Store?

The prices for the SACD and the UD1S just shows me how greedy these people are. Just for profit.
And then there is the unfairness, why the fans in Europe have to pay much more for these.

SACD
EU: 42 Euro
US: 28 Euro
50% more!!!

UC1S
EU: 106 Euro
US: 94 Euro

Doese someone know if the Limited Editions just will be available in the MJ Store?
EU also has shipping.
I got the MoFi vinyl and it’s shipping is 21 eur.

Just USA being USA I guess.

In all the fuzz I actually don't even know when T40 is supposed to release and will there be a press conference or something soon?

In all the fuzz I actually don't even know when T40 is supposed to release and will there be a press conference or something soon?

Someone on the Hoffman forum claims that this could possibly be the tracklist for disc 2. I hope this is just a fake screenschot...

IMG_E2972.JPG

cause why not :D

They don’t have the footage for that…or if they do, it’s in really bad quality because they gave us The Way You Make Me Feel from July 14th with audio from the 15th.
Wasn't the footage from the 15th?

No. It's not better than nothing. Is album with 3 fake songs also better than no album? That is not up to Michael Jackson's standards! MJ would never do it like that and that is a fact.
You can't seriously compare the Wembley dvd with a fraudulent remix album.

I’ve been vocal in the past that fan expectations and criticisms are often out of proportion and at times outright selfish, but this is one that I think is fully justified. The Thriller logo is one of the most recognizable and iconic designs in music history, and not only did they do away with it entirely, their elected replacement is embarrassing. I think the uproar would’ve been a little dulled if the new design didn’t look like it was thrown together in Microsoft Word in 30 seconds.

That is not up to Michael Jackson's standards! MJ would never do it like that and that is a fact.
The 2001 reissues included 1-2 outtakes and demos each; Thriller specifically featured a “Billie Jean” demo and an edit of “Carousel” that cut its runtime in half. Thriller 25 included five remixes, a Dangerous outtake, and a DVD of VHS-quality music videos (which was all Michael would sign off on, despite Sony originally wanting multiple new songs and video features).

I understand the disappointment here, but let’s not act as though Michael’s non-album projects were top-tier. If Thriller 40 gives us one full-length unreleased song from the early 80s, it automatically beats most of the reissues Michael himself commissioned (with the possible exception of Bad 2001).

despite Sony originally wanting multiple new songs and video features.
Please source for this. New songs like unreleased songs from original sessions or? Sony didn't want will.i.am/Akon/Kanye remixes? What video features?

Please source for this. New songs like unreleased songs from original sessions or? Sony didn't want will.i.am/Akon/Kanye remixes? What video features?
Somebody posted it earlier; I’m not able to find it myself because I’m on mobile, so if somebody could repost it I would greatly appreciate it!

IIRC, Sony’s original T25 proposition included 5-6 unreleased songs, 1-2 remixes, and a DVD that included a new message from Michael, and some sort of documentary (possibly the Making Thriller one from 1984?). When he rejected it, they offered a revised version with less songs, which he also declined. Ultimately, the version we got (which he clearly had limited participation in) is the only one he would agree to.

Me personally? I'm just glad to see them make audiophile releases and care about sound quality again and I can only hope it extends to the baseline 2CD copies as well.
Same goes for me, really looking forward to the Mofi releases. They've done a great job in the past. The SACD of Marvin Gaye's What's going on is great for example. I have a pretty decent audio system and really appreciate a good master. Thriller is a tricky one though. It's not easy to do it better than Bruce Swedien. The album already sounds amazing and there are quite a few versions that sounds really good. Better than at least 95 % of my music collection. I always believed Michael and Bruce where the perfect fit sonically. The albums already sound excellent and in my humble opinion really don't need a remaster. Still, getting Mofi evolved seems to be the best decision regarding this project at this point. Hopefully the estate surprises us with some great news in the best future.

What is better in your opinion: The SACD or the mofi vinyl?

This would be a dream come true and certainly the best release since Bad 25.
one of those proposed box sets has an image of Michael from roughly ten years after ‘thriller’. it’s inaccurate.

as far the ‘victory’ tour is concerned, if it has to be included, it should only be the songs associated with the ‘thriller’ album. namely ‘billie Jean’ and ‘human nature’, where Michael is front and centre.

I’ve been vocal in the past that fan expectations and criticisms are often out of proportion and at times outright selfish, but this is one that I think is fully justified. The Thriller logo is one of the most recognizable and iconic designs in music history, and not only did they do away with it entirely, their elected replacement is embarrassing. I think the uproar would’ve been a little dulled if the new design didn’t look like it was thrown together in Microsoft Word in 30 seconds.

In my opinion, the most memorable part of the Thriller album cover is the image of Michael in the white suit, and they kept it intact. I just think that the new font doesn't matter as long everything else from the album is intact and/or enhanced. It's equivalent of someone complaining about changing the color of the icing on a recipe for a giant cake.

Most people, young or old, from the general public to the biggest MJ fans, will know that it's Thriller just from that iconic image. THAT'S what's gonna draw people to buy / stream the album. Changing it too much would be a waste of effort, because at the end of the day, it's just a re-release with some new bonus material.

To me, THE BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM OF ALL TIME should have the BIGGEST/BEST boxset release ever!! Not just because it’s the “40th anniversary” but in general should be a huge “Thriller Super Deluxe” with tons of unheard unreleased songs, demos, worktapes, alternate mixes, acapellas, instrumentals, and a few remixes! A Huge Short (for TV) and a multi-part documentary! A multi-episode podcast. An opus coffee table book and a small paperback release.

Every year Thriller is already celebrated especially during Halloween time so calling this project Thriller 40 is redundant. The OG is already there for everyone to have access to. Simply making TV/Radio commercials, ads on YouTube and streaming services along with social media post will allow new fans to discover the 9 track album while releasing a Super Deluxe boxset would satisfy his lifelong fans. We don’t know what’s all you come or what exactly in all the estate have planned but a 2 CD album just isn’t enough. This Press Release was underwhelming. (Look back at the Bad 25 Press Release)!!! To me the GREATEST ENTERTAINER to ever walk this planet deserves better.

Also, the tricky part about all these releases are according to people who’ve worked on some of the posthumous projects so far; the reason we haven’t been able to get certain songs is they just aren’t being cleared (bad/tarnished relationships with collaborators, collaborators not agreeing with the estates/Sonys plans and the estate not willing to pay peoples asking prices). We didn’t get the demos/early versions of the songs that made Bad because Quincy wouldn’t sign off on them yet. This makes no sense to me because 9 out of 11 of the tracks WERE CREATED AND RECORDED AT HAYVENHURST. Q had nothing to do with the songs prior to them getting transferred and transported to Westlake. Most of the songs were already in good shape before Quincy and Bruce even heard them. Then while at Westlake when they were zeroing in on what songs would make the final tracklist the songs were re-recorded with Q’s people.

I am excited and eager to see what will be made of the 2nd Disc or even if a boxset will be announced and released later in the year. I do have a feeling we’re gonna get the original Behind The Mask and The Toy (Best Of Joy). Probably the demos of The Girl Is Mine, Billie Jean, Beat It, Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’, 2 or 3 leaked tracks (Nightline, Trouble, Sunset Driver) and maybe 2 songs we never heard. It’s tough because if Rod Temperton’s Estate and Quincy don’t clear their songs they may not be included.

To me, THE BIGGEST SELLING ALBUM OF ALL TIME should have the BIGGEST/BEST boxset release ever!! Not just because it’s the “40th anniversary” but in general should be a huge “Thriller Super Deluxe” with tons of unheard unreleased songs, demos, worktapes, alternate mixes, acapellas, instrumentals, and a few remixes! A Huge Short (for TV) and a multi-part documentary! A multi-episode podcast. An opus coffee table book and a small paperback release.
I like this. 🥰

None of it will happen, of course, but it's nice to have a dream, especially if it's an exciting one like this. A multi-format / multi-platform approach would be fabulous (assuming there's enough material to support that). A real celebration. I can see all of this in my mind's eye. It just won't ever get any further than that. 🙁

Every year Thriller is already celebrated especially during Halloween time so calling this project Thriller 40 is redundant. The OG is already there for everyone to have access to. Simply making TV/Radio commercials, ads on YouTube and streaming services along with social media post will allow new fans to discover the 9 track album while releasing a Super Deluxe boxset would satisfy his lifelong fans. We don’t know what’s all you come or what exactly in all the estate have planned but a 2 CD album just isn’t enough.
As far as I can tell the Estate does seem to think that a single product, or maybe a couple of different products, is enough to satisfy Michael's existing fan base as well as bringing in new fans. Which makes no sense to me. I don't have a marketing brain or a business brain but I would have thought that producing a number of different products (as suggested here by Cprep20) plus using a range of marketing strategies targeting different demographics or whatever would make sense. And maybe they will do exactly that. I'm just not confident. I don't wanna go on and on about the chalk, I'm just saying it doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, trying to maintain an attitude of cautious optimism.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

Last edited:
Same goes for me, really looking forward to the Mofi releases. They've done a great job in the past. The SACD of Marvin Gaye's What's going on is great for example. I have a pretty decent audio system and really appreciate a good master. Thriller is a tricky one though. It's not easy to do it better than Bruce Swedien. The album already sounds amazing and there are quite a few versions that sounds really good. Better than at least 95 % of my music collection. I always believed Michael and Bruce where the perfect fit sonically. The albums already sound excellent and in my humble opinion really don't need a remaster. Still, getting Mofi evolved seems to be the best decision regarding this project at this point. Hopefully the estate surprises us with some great news in the best future.
Couldn't agree more! Michael's albums pre BOTDF are some of the best sounding albums of all time, especially Thriller. Thriller is just a marvel of audio production.

I've had an SACD of Stevie Wonder Inner visions from Mofi and it was also excellent (although I had only standard cd playback).

Going to invest in getting a used Sony Bluray player to hook into my AVR since many of those have SACD compatibility.

The mofi LP will be a real treat. I have an original Pitman Thriller pressing and the CBS Half Speed Mastered. Can't wait to see how this compares. It should be the best since its one source away from the master tapes.

Bad25 TL was announced in early August 2012, roughly five weeks prior to its release. I think we can estimate sometime between september/october.

I am exited about T40 and I will support the release - especially if disc 2 is good. (4K musicvidoes, Making of Thriller, concerts etc. would just be a bonus)

But I am also a little sad that T40 will mean that an all new album like Michael and Xscape will not come this year, and maybe not next year too since thats close to T40... - that just makes me hope for more unheard/new songs on disc 2 even more.

Back