Thriller 40th Anniversary

Thriller has spend 37 weeks as #1 - do you think there is any chance what so ever with Halloween coming and everything that T40 will reach #1 ?

And if T40 reaches #1 spot - will it then count towards the 37 weeks? so it will be 38 ?

Didn't Thriller become nr. 1 in 2009 when MJ died? I remeber it as if he was all over the charts with many of his albums.

If they released it the way the leaked version is, that's a huge fail. I'm going to go out on a limb that it's cleaned up
Yeah, if it's the more complete demo that they are releasing then they will have a good copy. I'm pretty sure the only reason the leaked version sounds the way it does is because it was copied to tape several times.

Thriller has spend 37 weeks as #1 - do you think there is any chance what so ever with Halloween coming and everything that T40 will reach #1 ?

And if T40 reaches #1 spot - will it then count towards the 37 weeks? so it will be 38 ?

Didn't Thriller become nr. 1 in 2009 when MJ died? I remeber it as if he was all over the charts with many of his albums.
In 2009 it wasn‘t yet possible for old albums to chart in the main album chart. But they changed the rules now.
Michael’s top 3 selling albums the week after he died all sold more than the official nr 1 album in the US which was. Black Eyes Peas the E.N.D. This were the official numbers. It was the first time ever an old album sold more than the real nr 1 album,Michael achieved it 3 times which will probably never happen again.
Nr 1 Number Ones 108 000 copies sold
Nr 2 The Essential 102 000 copies sold
Nr 3 Thriller 101 000 copies sold
Nr 4 The E.N.D. 88 000 copies sold ( the official nr 1 album in the Billboard top 200 that week)

In the top 10 catalogue chart in which only old albums chart the top 10 consisted of 9 MJ/J5 albums which was also unprecedented. After the already mentioned top 3 we found off the wall at nr 4 with 33 000 copies, nr 5 the jackson 5 ultimate collection 18 000 copies, nr 6 was for Bad with 17 000 copies, Dangerous at nr 7 with 14 000 copies, nr 8 greatest hits HiStory vol 1 with 12 000 copies and MJ’s ultimate collection at nr 9 with 11 000 sales.
Nr 10 was the only none Jackson related entry a Woodstock Soundtrack album with 8000 copies.

Also in 2008 when T25 was released the album would have missed out on the nr 1 spot peaking at nr 2 behind Jack johnson’s Sleep Through The static. That album sold 180 000 copies while T25 finished at 166 000 copies.

So will T40 make it finally? Third time’s a charm right?!

They just confirmed it on the michael jackson website
I know, it was posted 2 hours ago in the other thread and has been heavily discussed since. My question regarding the source was just for fun, kinda sarcastic if you will. 😇

Should I close this thread in favour of the unreleased song thread? They seem to be quite duplicate now.
I'd say merge this with "what songs do you think are in thriller 40" as they are very similar discussions.

While this might not concern everyone, MoFi has revealed the lineage for their One-Step vinyl and SACD pressings of Thriller.

RkiXz0k.jpg
(from https://mofi.com/collections/ultrad...ael-jackson-thriller-ultradisc-one-step-33rpm)

Thriller 40 will most likely get to number 1 in every country. But... I will never understand why it's so important to some people. It's just a sales ranking, it doesn't matter. Even when people still bought CDs it didn't matter, and it's even less important now that nobody buys CDs.

If you like the music, listen to it. If you don't, then don't. I wouldn't worry about what other people are listening to.

As for this rerelease - the SACD is the only thing I'm interested in. This is their last chance to make something that sounds better than the original. After many failed attempts, I'd say it was important to get the sound quality this time, and that means SACD.

As for this rerelease - the SACD is the only thing I'm interested in. This is their last chance to make something that sounds better than the original. After many failed attempts, I'd say it was important to get the sound quality this time, and that means SACD.
Honestly, I rest assured it's gonna be better just because they're not involved in it and MoFi knows what they're doing.

From one of my audiophile mutuals on Facebook:

Great and shocking news about Thriller 40. They actually did use the original analog tapes or did one hell of a remaster because it is the best sounding version of the album I have ever heard. No loudness just to be loud. So much clarity and instrument separation and dynamics. Apple Music has it right now in lossless so everyone needs to see if I’m imagining this or what. I’m blown away at the fact they put any effort whatsoever on the sound quality.

Looks like, at the very least, the estate knocked it out of the park with the remaster.

Great and shocking news about Thriller 40. They actually did use the original analog tapes or did one hell of a remaster because it is the best sounding version of the album I have ever heard. No loudness just to be loud. So much clarity and instrument separation and dynamics. Apple Music has it right now in lossless so everyone needs to see if I’m imagining this or what. I’m blown away at the fact they put any effort whatsoever on the sound quality.

Looks like, at the very least, the estate knocked it out of the park with the remaster.
Still I believe the MoFi one will sound better. Hoping for the best!

Guess i'm gonna repeat the same thing i've said before, the T40 remaster found in Apple Music right now is just the old 90s remaster of Thriller that absolutely every streaming service has had since the beginning of time

Guess i'm gonna repeat the same thing i've said before, the T40 remaster found in Apple Music right now is just the old 90s remaster of Thriller that absolutely every streaming service has had since the beginning of time

Was gonna mention this, not sure that it's actually available until release.

Thriller 40 Documentary confirmed

Directed by Nelson George w/MJE and Sony

Interesting, here's hoping this one will actually be about the making of the album.

Yes, no Spike Lee. THANK GOD!!!

No way! Didn’t expect that at all, to be honest. Let’s hope it will be good.

new information about the ‘thriller 40’ documentary. I’m so excited 😆
Michael Jackson's Iconic 'Thriller' Album to Be Subject of Official Documentary The new film is currently in production. TV News in Your Inbox Get local news, offers & more... by Michael Major Oct. 04, 2022 Exclusive: BACKSTAGE WITH... To commemorate the 40-year anniversary of Michael Jackson's revolutionary Thriller album, the Estate of Michael Jackson and Sony Music Entertainment are celebrating the artistic vision that anchored the biggest selling album of all time with a new official documentary. Directed by acclaimed journalist, music historian, and filmmaker Nelson George, the film which is currently in production takes fans back in time to the making of the record-breaking album and release of revolutionary short films that redefined the music video format and captivated audiences globally. "Billie Jean" remains the most streamed Michael Jackson song and "Thriller" is the only music video that has been inducted onto the elite National Film Registry of the Library of Congress. Featuring never-before-seen footage and candid interviews, the as yet untitled documentary chronicles the point in Jackson's career that launched the singer into mega-stardom and created a pop culture phenomenon that is woven through the culture and continues to influence the worlds of music, television, dance, fashion and more to this day. "The release of Thriller redefined Michael Jackson, taking him from teen star to adult superstar, who composed memorable songs, sang beautifully and reached the highest level of on-stage performance," said Nelson George. "The album, and the short films they inspired, created a new template for marrying music and image. It's been a privilege to explore this extraordinary album and revisit its magic." The music on Thriller is so dynamic and singular that it defied any definition of rock, pop or soul that had gone before. "Beat It" was a new kind of pop-rock hybrid and demolished the longstanding segregation between black and white music with Eddie Van Halen's incendiary guitar. On "The Girl Is Mine," a black man and a white man bantered about the same girl. When a fledgling MTV, which was programming white rock artists almost exclusively, refused to play the video for "Billie Jean" Epic persisted. Once the wall came crashing down, MTV's ratings soared and a door was opened for a generation of African American artists. "He was MTV's Jackie Robinson," said cultural critic Touré Thriller was the second studio album by Jackson as a solo artist on Epic Records. It went on to capture a record 12 Grammy® nominations and a record-setting eight wins, including Album of the Year. And Michael captured a record eight Grammy Awards that same night, including for "E.T. The Storybook" album. Since its debut, Thriller has sold over 100 million albums worldwide, and was the first album to be certified triple diamond by the RIAA. The latest Optimum Productions and Sony Music Entertainment documentary, produced by Company Name, joins "Bad 25" and "Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall" as the third documentary film with a focus on a Jackson album. Additional productions celebrating Jackson's unparalleled impact include the 2009 film, This Is It, Michael Jackson ONE by Cirque du Soleil in Las Vegas and MJ The Musical on Broadway. ADVERTISING "Michael opened and explored emotional depths and pushed the boundaries of sonic innovation on Thriller. In the process, he breached destructive barriers in the music industry and literally united the world through his music: there isn't a place on this planet that hasn't been exhilarated by the music of Michael Jackson", stated John Branca and John McClain, co-executors of the Michael Jackson Estate. "This documentary's exploration of Michael's process and impact is revelatory." "Michael Jackson's Thriller marked a momentous and pivotal moment in both music and pop culture around the world," said Tom Mackay, President, Premium Content, Sony Music Entertainment. "We're excited to expand the estate's documentary collection with our upcoming film and look forward to sharing it with fans around the world." Sony Music Entertainment is distributing the film. Colin Hanks and Sean Stuart from Company Name serve as producers. John Branca and John McClain serve as Executive Producers. Following Michael's death, the Estate of Michael Jackson continues to produce artistically exceptional and enormously successful ventures. Upon release, Michael Jackson's This is It (2009) became the highest grossing music documentary of all time. There have been two acclaimed documentaries with Spike Lee directing - Bad25 in 2012 followed in 2016 by MICHAEL JACKSON's Journey From Motown To Off The Wall which had its broadcast premiere on SHOWTIME® and became the channel's highest rated music documentary of all time. In 2017, Thriller 3D premiered at the Venice Film Festival and in 2018 was shown in an exclusive IMAX® limited engagement. The Estate of Michael Jackson has also co-produced live stage events including two shows in partnership with Cirque du Soleil, Michael Jackson THE IMMORTAL World Tour, which remains among the top ten touring shows of all time and Michael Jackson ONE which is a permanent show at Mandalay Bay & Resort in Las Vegas that continues to thrill audiences since its opening in 2013.

Back