Thriller 40th Anniversary

Well I got a free trial into Tidal Music, no disrespect to Tidal.. maybe I’ll cancel it or maybe I’ll renew it.. But Thriller and Beat It are on there and as always, the experience is magical.

The estate are listening, but they are stalling so as to make ventures more profitable throughout the years

It’s not good either… had she not been a Jackson she would never have gotten a Music contract…
Dont want to derail this thread but I wouldn't go that far. She sounds great on some other performances I've seen. She isnt doing mainstream pop so in that sense sure she probably wouldn't get signed but not because she isnt talented.

Good to know its finally out! Dont have tidal so I'll wait for youtube to watch.
Now we wait for Billie Jean.....

I would still argue it is. Even with all the dropped balls and failures, Thriller 40 is still giving us a better and more interesting selection of content than Thriller 25 did. (Plus, NO REMIXES!)
I'm not sure about that. It's true that T25 was a disgrace in every way, but the trend for sound quality is that it is worse with each release, so barring an upset, for fans it will most probably not be worth getting anyway.

The only thing I'm interested in is the Mo-Fi SACD. I will probably never buy anything from Sony ever again.

young people do not wanna see ugly YT videos on their 65" screen. They want 4K sharp picture.
Huh? Kids don't have a 65 inch screen, lol. The latest iPhone is closer to 6.5 inches.

There will be two immersive experiences.
I wish they hadn't used that word. "Immersive" is the record industry's new word for surround sound. Therefore this is misleading - there is no 5.1 or Atmos mix of Thriller :-(

Is the SACD limited edition or just the Mo-Fi vinyl?
I wouldn't worry what's "limited edition" or not. Technically everything is limited edition.

I'd buy the SACD as quickly as you can though. I think they said 40,000 copies. Most likely they will all be sold by release.

Like, I still find it strange that people are clamouring for 4K picture quality, but they don't want equivalent high sound quality...

I can’t wrap my head around this. How different can it sound, why was it recorded like that if people were never able to listen to all the details till now?
You know all those Grammys it won? Two of them were for Production and Engineering. It's an album with excellent sound quality. Just like all the discussion in this thread about video transfers, so the audio transfer can make a big difference. Technology is getting better all the time.
A video of a performance of one of the thriller songs from the victory tour maybe?
ie Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' or Human Nature.

Just watched them videos and BOY THEY LOOK GORGEOUS.
It does feel like I'm watching them for the first time all over again.

I'd also like to give credit where credit is due: I'm glad they kept the freaking grain instead of washing it out with DNR.
I feel like a kid, man
It's crazy how bad the videos we've had for so many years looked.

Beat it 4K

Thriller 1080p, De nada
Wow wow wow, this is sensational!! The estate has done a sterling job and should feel proud of this. Shame it didn't get the ad/promo it deserved.

Wish other short films will follow. It certainly breathes new life into these videos and I am super happy seeing this. Wish I could own them on bluray :)

Wow wow wow, this is sensational!! The estate has done a sterling job and should feel proud of this. Shame it didn't get the ad/promo it deserved.

Wish other short films will follow. It certainly breathes new life into these videos and I am super happy seeing this. Wish I could own them on bluray :)
The estate I really commissioned the work was done by a special laboratory we do not have to thank because it was they obligation

They had already been delayed

Now I have to prepare to listen to Thriller 40.

Last edited:
From what I can see on iTunes, Beat It and Billie Jean’s videos are exclusive to Thriller 25 deluxe edition with only Thriller available for purchase. I hope they’ll add the 4K videos to the digital edition of Thriller 40. It’s a missed opportunity if they don’t.

Back