Thriller 40th Anniversary

There was a person on the Queen forums who interviewed Peter Freestone and he said it was a rough ad-lib improvisation with Peter slamming the toilet door, if it's true it's in no way releasable. The demo of State Of Shock might just be the gem of the Freddie Mercury sessions.

According to Warren Eagles, who was hired to edit the Wembley material, they had stacks of 35mm and 16mm reels but none of the shows were completely recorded on film. Minneapolis has performances on film since that's where the bulk footage of MITM from Moonwalker comes from.

Patrick Kelly said he turned in all the footage recorded from the tour after the last show.

The Estate has it.....they just don't want to go through the trouble of editing.....just like they're sitting on the Triumph show from LA on full film.
Warren confirmed that at least 1 wembley show was completely filmed. He even had a VHS copy of it. I'm hoping the estate found it, otherwise where the hell did that HD victory tour LA film come from lol I bet they just now found it and digitized it.

There was a person on the Queen forums who interviewed Peter Freestone and he said it was a rough ad-lib improvisation with Peter slamming the toilet door, if it's true it's in no way releasable. The demo of State Of Shock might just be the gem of the Freddie Mercury sessions.
Well, there ya go. It's just an interesting oddity, maybe a cool idea to make something out of, like a interlude or whatever. But not a full blown tune.

By any chance can you find that forum?

Is it this one? I could never tell if it was fan-made or not.

Official or not though, it's a hell lot better than that William Orbit mix.

It's pretty widely considered to be some sort of official mix, yes. Not sure if it's the exact version Brian was referring to, though. Was originally posted online by someone saying they found it on a usb stick laying in the road, lol!

Last edited:
So why would an entire album be named after Victory when it not only didn't make the album, but was so rudimentary as to be considered totally unreleaseable in its original form?

Is it this one? I could never tell if it was fan-made or not.

Official or not though, it's a hell lot better than that William Orbit mix.
First time hearing this, I hate the Orbit mix. This is indeed a lot better BUT still a below par song, I don’t even like Michaels’s vocals much.

I just hope The Estate at least digitilize all the footage they have.

All VHS, tapes, 16 mm, 32 mm or what they have. - Convert it to digital so quality is saved forever. I really do not hope they just leave it be and do nothing to save it.
I'm sure we'll get to see them by 2032

I'm sure we'll get to see them by 2032
I don't really care if we have to wait. - Just it would be nice to know if the Estate actually do convert it to digital, do they make sure all tapes, VHS and films are converted to best possible quality and saved digitally. - If so it is also easy to organice. So the archive would be easy.

And the tapes, reels, VHS would not be destroyed or just destroyed by time.

The Estate has the sole rights to publish this material, i.e. the material cannot be released by anyone other than the Estate. The collaborators are asking for money to hand it over. The Estate is currently not interested in releasing it, so there is no reason for them to pay anyone to hand it over.
But why does the Estate have to pay money to the producers for the material if they owe the rights themselves?

First time hearing this, I hate the Orbit mix. This is indeed a lot better BUT still a below par song, I don’t even like Michaels’s vocals much.
I think if they had released MJ's solo version after his death it would be a smash hit/Christmas classic. IMHO it's alsmost as haunting as 'Imagine'. No further instrumentation needed

But why does the Estate have to pay money to the producers for the material if they owe the rights themselves?
My thoughts exactly!
This is the bit that bends my brain out of shape. :eek:

I just cannot get to grips with it. I understand why Michael Prince, for example, has that stuff on his hard drive. And all of the other collaborators. And I'm not having a go at any of them. I'm just confused af. I don't get why or how they are entitled to payment. They don't own the stuff. They are not the songwriters or the record company ... or even the producer. They are creative but they do not own the material, afaik.

wth?

I think if they had released MJ's solo version after his death it would be a smash hit/Christmas classic. IMHO it's alsmost as haunting as 'Imagine'. No further instrumentation needed

This is one of his greatest vocal performances. Even Freddie said that he sang it so beautifully he had to go back and re-imagine the track as a bit more orchestral.

Usually I don’t miss a chance to criticize the estate but it gets more difficult when it comes to the Freddie/MJ tracks. TMBMTLTT is a Freddie song. Written by Freddie and included in his solo album in 1985. MJ is a guest on that track so it’s safe to say that this track belongs on a Queen related project. State Of Shock is a MJ song. Written by MJ and officially released. This song should not come out on a Queen related project. This is MJ feat Freddie Mercury. I understand why the estate would veto such a thing. Victory is a different beast since they both are co writers. They would have to come to an understanding on what project/projects would be a good vehicle for this song.

Last edited:
I still cannot believe the lack of promo & how things went with this. It had so much potential to be a great package...the time has now passed. Smh I don't understand wtf is going on with them or why they don't wanna give us footage but man...its starting to affect me

I am sad about the doc. - I really can not understand what's going on.

Still hope we get to see it one day. - And hope it is not released as connected to T40. - Hope it's just a stand alone doc about Thriller, making of the album etc.

Maybe I'm not counting right, but isn't the doc the third project shelved during production since 2020?

Maybe I'm not counting right, but isn't the doc the third project shelved during production since 2020?
There was HIStory 25 but I think that the plans they had for it they're saving for HIStory 30. What was the other project?

I still cannot believe the lack of promo & how things went with this. It had so much potential to be a great package...the time has now passed. Smh I don't understand wtf is going on with them or why they don't wanna give us footage but man...its starting to affect me
They do it on purpose, unfortunately

This is one of his greatest vocal performances. Even Freddie said that he sang it so beautifully he had to go back and re-imagine the track as a bit more orchestral.

Usually I don’t miss a chance to criticize the estate but it gets more difficult when it comes to the Freddie/MJ tracks. TMBMTLTT is a Freddie song. Written by Freddie and included in his solo album in 1985. MJ is a guest on that track so it’s safe to say that this track belongs on a Queen related project. State Of Shock is a MJ song. Written by MJ and officially released. This song should not come out on a Queen related project. This is MJ feat Freddie Mercury. I understand why the estate would veto such a thing. Victory is a different beast since they both are co writers. They would have to come to an understanding on what project/projects would be a good vehicle for this song.
Well Victory falls into the Jackson's reign as well. Since it's for a Jacksons album. Probably also why the tour hasn't been negotiated. They won't do much of anything. Maybe if Prince Michael takes over, he can have an Tony Stark/Obadiah Stand stand off and then finally get to hold the reigns..

Why would it solely fall into the reign of Michael? The only connection the song has to the Jackson album, as far as we know, is the title. They both created the song together and it could have easily been meant for a freddie/queen album as much as a Jackson related album.

Back