Thriller Won 8 Grammies? But sometimes they say 7!

Actually I am not asking to know how many he won, I already know I just donno why the media is confused which is very strange such things could happen in advanced countries. Please check the following screenshots which I took from Grammy official site from their archives of Grammy Winners and take notice of the last screenshot.

Michael Jackson in the year 1983 won 7 plusone for E.T.
thrillergrammyawards001xa3.jpg

thrillergrammyawards002ex6.jpg

Michael Jackson in the year 1984 won the 8th Grammy Award for Thriller:
thrillergrammyawards003ld3.jpg

Source: http://www.grammy.com

So he actually won 9 Grammies (1983-1984) 8 for Thriller and 1 for E.T.

lol....i agree.

Mike won EIGHT in one night, Santana tied him. They're saying he won SEVEN for "Thriller" in one night, which IN ESSENCE, is most times any artist has won for a single album. But if you wanna "dispute" that, oh well.

that's very clear, so MJ is still in first place for a single album..and still alone, for a single album.

interesting, since 7 is his favorite number. lol

Last edited:
Mike won EIGHT in one night, Santana tied him. They're saying he won SEVEN for "Thriller" in one night, which IN ESSENCE, is most times any artist has won for a single album. But if you wanna "dispute" that, oh well.
Yes very true.

However even though Carlos Santana is an artist but would you think he is a performer I mean a singer a vocalist, because IMO Carlos Santana (not underestimating him) is not a complete entertainer compared to Michael and he is in a different league.

that's very clear, so MJ is still in first place for a single album..and still alone, for a single album.

interesting, since 7 is his favorite number. lol

Yeah, lol.

Maybe it's the way the media "worded it". Just leaving out the "eighth one" because it wasn't won consecutively with the other awards for the album.

Yes very true.

However even though Carlos Santana is an artist but would you think he is a performer I mean a singer a vocalist, because IMO Carlos Santana (not underestimating him) is not a complete entertainer compared to Michael and he is in a different league.

Yeah I know that, lol. But it's still an amazing accomplishment, especially considering who they are, lol.

Michael won 7 for Thriller and 1 for the ET story book in 1983. That's why people say 7.
winkie.gif

Thriller, the actual record won a total of 8 Grammys in 1983- the 8th award was for Best Engineered Recording (Bruce Swedien) for Thriller.
smile.gif

Michael won these awards for Thriller:
  • Album Of The Year → Thriller
  • Record Of The Year → Beat It
  • Best Male Pop Performance → Thriller
  • Producer Of The Year (with Quincy Jones) → Thriller
  • Best Male Rock Vocal Performance → Beat It
  • Best Male R&B Vocal Performance → Billie Jean
  • Best New R&B Song → Billie Jean
And this for ET Story Book:
  • Best Recording For Children → E.T. The Extra Terrestrial Album (narration by Michael Jackson) on February the 28th.
And Bruce Swedien won for 'Best Engineered Recording' for "Thriller".

So, the album won 8 Grammys. Michael got 7 of those.

How can you disagree? :huh: Type in Bruce Swedien, and you will see he won an award for Thriller as well, making 8 wins for the album Thriller. Michael won 7 of those awards (and an 8th in the same year) and Bruce Swedien won for best engineered recording. Does that not make sense? :unsure: We're talking about wins for the actual album Thriller, right? :unsure:

Thriller, the album, won 8 awards, 7 of those went to Michael, 1 went to Bruce Swedien.

http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/Winners/Results.aspx?title=&winner=bruce%20swedien&year=0&genreID=0&hp=1

Making Michael Jackson's Thriller isn't related to the album- it was for the video, and not an award for the album, right? :unsure:

Finally someone agreed with me… :)

However I wish to be corrected if I am wrong somewhere anywhere, I have taken the data from Grammy.com I hope it is not also fake!

I didn't not agree with you before, but I point out, as per my posts above, The album Thriller DID win 8 grammy's in 1983, and those were the ones I pointed about above- including Bruce Swedien's award for thriller, which would be the 8th. :) (link above)

The Making of Thriller won in 1984, as best video, but the album itself won 8 awards too.

Last edited:
I didn't not agree with you before, but I point out, as per my posts above, The album Thriller DID win 8 grammy's in 1983, and those were the ones I pointed about above- including Bruce Swedien's award for thriller, which would be the 8th. :) (link above)

The Making of Thriller won in 1984, as best video, but the album itself won 8 awards too.

Then how do you explain that Michael Jackson got 9 and 8 for Thriller refering to the screenshots which I posted earlier? Please prove this is wrong.

I think the Media wants to overshadow his achievement.

lol does it matter? 6,7,8, its still amazing¨!

It matters to me because I don’t want to be given the wrong information.

I don’t like this kind of manipulation by the media, and that is not only happening to Michael Jackson, I think there are other artists who suffer from the same thing. I don’t think it is a mistake because nowadays it is so advanced that you cannot accept these kinds of errors.

Then how do you explain that Michael Jackson got 9 and 8 for Thriller refering to the screenshots which I posted earlier? Please prove this is wrong.

I think the Media wants to overshadow his achievement.

I am not trying to prove you wrong at all. You asked about the wins for the actual album- and the actual album DID get 8 awards. I proved that as well, 7 for Michael, 1 for Bruce Swedien. The award for Thriller (the video) was for the video and not the song or album, so that's why i pointed out Bruce Swedien's award, which makes 8 awards for Thriller, the album.

or are you asking specifically about Michael Jackson's awards only? I thought you were asking specifically about 'Wins for the album Thriller'.

:unsure:

Well, it's subjective. Should the award for Making of Thriller be included as an award for the Thriller album?

That's what I am trying to say. The album Thriller clearly won 8 awards- 7 for Michael, 1 for Swedien.

The award for the video is for the video and not for a song on the album....

So Thriller, the album, still won 8 awards.

I am not trying to prove you wrong at all. You asked about the wins for the actual album- and the actual album DID get 8 awards. I proved that as well, 7 for Michael, 1 for Bruce Swedien. The award for Thriller (the video) was for the video and not the song or album, so that's why i pointed out Bruce Swedien's award, which makes 8 awards for Thriller, the album.

or are you asking specifically about Michael Jackson's awards only? I thought you were asking specifically about 'Wins for the album Thriller'.

:unsure:
I want you to proven me wrong because I want to know the truth if I am saying something wrong. I don’t have anything to prove wrong against the details which I published earlier unless Grammy.com will publish a statement mentioning that the list is wrong and that is highly unlikely.

Michael got an award for the video Thriller and it is part of the album, I think you might be right that Bruce Swedien got a Grammy as well, but Michael Jackson also worked on the Video (AFAIK) and that’s why he was a recipient on the 9th award in 1984, 8 for Thriller 1 for E.T. total 9 (1983-1984) as per grammy.com

^ Why are you counting the award for ET? That has nothing to do with Thriller.

Thriller won 8 awards.

1. Album Of The Year (Thriller)
2. Record Of The Year (Beat It)
3. Best Male Pop Performance (Thriller)
4. Producer Of The Year (Thriller)
5. Best Male Rock Vocal Performance (Beat It)
6. Best Male R&B Vocal Performance (Billie Jean)
7. Best New R&B Song (Billie Jean)
8. Best Engineered Album (Thriller)

ET doesn't count, the Making of Thriller video doesn't count.

Last edited:
Well, it's subjective. Should the award for Making of Thriller be included as an award for the Thriller album?

I believe yes it should be. Because the video have contributed a lot for the album sales and I don’t think many people will by the Thriller album if Michael didn’t make the video. It has also highlighted the album and it also has changed the way music videos are made.

So this award is for the album and Michael got the credit for it so it is his 8th award for the album Thriller.

My reference is from Grammy.com too. And I don't want to prove you wrong. lol. I know Michael got all those awards.

I am guess what I am saying is that award for the Thriller video doesn't count as an award for the album, but that the album still won 8 grammys- as per the album cover.

i just think it's very simple- 8 awards for Thriller, as per my previous posts- 7 went to Michael and 1 went to Swedien. Michael also won an award for ET storybook the same year and then an award for the Thriller video the following year.

I'll leave it at that. :D

Last edited:

Thriller won 8 awards.

I am doing that in purpose, because when I say 8 they say one for ET and it is 7 which is preserved wrong IMO, so when I say 9 they say one for ET and it ends up 8. I just want to avoid the confusion.

I believe yes it should be. Because the video have contributed a lot for the album sales and I don’t think many people will by the Thriller album if Michael didn’t make the video. It has also highlighted the album and it also has changed the way music videos are made.

So this award is for the album and Michael got the credit for it so it is his 8th award for the album Thriller.
Well, the award wasn't for the music video for Thriller. It was for a home video that was released of the making of the Thriller music video.

IMO, you've got the album Thriller, and then you've got this home video on the side. I don't think they shouldn't be coupled together.

Thriller, the album, the music, the songs, won 8 grammies.

Then Michael won a Grammy on the side, the following year, for the Making of Thriller.

Last edited:
My reference is from Grammy.com too. And I don't want to prove you wrong. lol. I know Michael got all those awards.

I am guess what I am saying is that award for the Thriller video doesn't count as an award for the album, but that the album still won 8 grammys- as per the album cover.

i just think it's very simple- 8 awards for Thriller, as per my previous posts- 7 went to Michael and 1 went to Swedien. Michael also won an award for ET storybook the same year and then an award for the Thriller video the following year.

I'll leave it at that. :D

Ok lets assume you are correct, can you tell me why Michael Jackson’s name appeared 9 times on the Grammy Winners column on grammy.com (on Wikipedia as well)? Why they did not put Bruce’s name there instead of Michael?

Well, the award wasn't for the music video for Thriller. It was for a home video that was released of the making of the Thriller music video.

IMO, you've got the album Thriller, and then you've got this home video on the side. I don't think they shouldn't be coupled together.

Then Michael won a Grammy on the side, the following year, for the Making of Thriller.

Thank you! :D That's exactly what i have been trying to say. :punk:

I agree with you, and I think that Michael also got the credit for the 8 awards plus the one for ET which makes the total 9 awards in two years in a row.

Last edited:
Ok lets assume you are correct, can you tell me why Michael Jackson’s name appeared 9 times on the Grammy Winners column on grammy.com (on Wikipedia as well)? Why they did not put Bruce’s name there instead of Michael?

I am correct. :yes:

I am guessing, as I asked before, that you are talking only of Michael's awards and no one elses. In that case, we will end up going around in circles.

I already provided a link to the 8th award for Thriller, which went to Bruce Swedien. You will not find him in a search for 'Michael Jackson' because you searched for 'Michael Jackson'.

Anyways, moving along....

EDIT: You just said you agreed with Bob George. I already said all of that in my previous posts, and it's what i have said in all my posts :huh:

Last edited:
I am correct. :yes:

I am guessing, as I asked before, that you are talking only of Michael's awards and no one elses. In that case, we will end up going around in circles.

I already provided a link to the 8th award for Thriller, which went to Bruce Swedien. You will not find him in a search for 'Michael Jackson' because you searched for 'Michael Jackson'.

Anyways, moving along....

EDIT: You just said you agreed with Bob George. I already said all of that in my previous posts, and it's what i have said in all my posts :huh:

I am talking about the awards only won by Michael and only for the album Thriller. I mean all the Grammies went to Michael only for Thriller (weather it is for music or for video), perhaps Thriller won other Grammies went for other people who worked on the same album and I am not talking about that. That’s why in the search box of Grammy Winners I wrote Michael Jackson’s name (NOT Thriller – notice that I kept title field empty) to reveal all the awards won by Michael Jackson only from 1983-1984 which gave me the result of 9 Grammy Awards. I believe that 9 awards will not show in the search results for Michael if they weren’t for Michael.

I am talking about the awards only won by Michael and only for the album Thriller. I mean all the Grammies went to Michael only for Thriller (weather it is for music or for video), perhaps Thriller won other Grammies went for other people who worked on the same album and I am not talking about that. That’s why in the search box of Grammy Winners I wrote Michael Jackson’s name (NOT Thriller – notice that I kept title field empty) to reveal all the awards won by Michael Jackson only from 1983-1984 which gave me the result of 9 Grammy Awards. I believe that 9 awards will not show in the search results for Michael if they weren’t for Michael.

Ok now I get it. I guess because you posted the SE album cover, which says Thriller is a winner of 8 grammy awards, that that's what you were referring to.

So to answer your question, I believe the album itself won 8 grammys and 7 of those were Michael's awards for the album.

The award for "Making Michael Jackson's Thriller"- a home video, does not count toward "Grammys won for the Thriller album". (IMO)

And the rest we know. :) Thanks for clarifying.

Thriller won 8 awards.

1. Album Of The Year (Thriller)
2. Record Of The Year (Beat It)
3. Best Male Pop Performance (Thriller)
4. Producer Of The Year (Thriller)
5. Best Male Rock Vocal Performance (Beat It)
6. Best Male R&B Vocal Performance (Billie Jean)
7. Best New R&B Song (Billie Jean)
8. Best Engineered Album (Thriller)

ET doesn't count, the Making of Thriller video doesn't count.

Yeah that's the right categories they won it in.

Back