TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: TII made 10 million its first day

It is soo great!

Re: TII expected to gross $77 million by the end of the weekend

And these are just North America or US only figures?

Hanna Montana is big in the US, but didn't do much at all outside the US. MJ on the other hand has been bigger outside the US than in the US in the past decade or so. I'm really curious what it will do worldwide!

My local Pathé cinema at Arena in Amsterdam is showing TII mainly in the largest room, which has about 600 seats. I noticed today that for the 2 showings tonight there was already about 80-90% of the seats sold out, hours before the screening starts!

Now we know that it's not true - 77 mln - it's not gonna happend because TII earn only 7.4 mln yesterday - your article is from 28 oct

guys, 7 ml in two mid-week nights is huge, by any standards. that's what i know for sure

Jackson's 'This Is It' draws $20.1M worldwide

LOS ANGELES – The King of Pop is No. 1 again.

"Michael Jackson's This Is It" has landed on top of the domestic box office with $7.4 million in its first day and $12.7 million overseas.

That gives the film documenting Jackson's rehearsals for his planned concert tour a worldwide total of $20.1 million.

Distributor Sony says the $7.4 million domestic haul is the best ever for a movie on a Wednesday.

Among the totals from other countries, "This Is It" brought in $1.9 million in Great Britain, $1.4 million France, $1.2 million in Japan and $1.1 million in Germany.

The film debuted in 99 countries Wednesday and expands to 10 more Thursday.

Jackson died June 25, just before he was to begin a marathon run of comeback concerts in London.

October 29, 2009, 2:07 pm
‘This Is It’ Reaps $20.1 Million on First Day

By Brooks BarnesSony said “This Is It,” the Michael Jackson concert documentary culled from rehearsal footage, opened on Wednesday to $7.4 million in ticket sales in North America and $12.7 internationally (including revenue from limited Tuesday night screenings). A $20.1 million weekday total is certainly impressive — the studio noted that the North American gross was the highest for a Wednesday in October — but it isn’t the immediate smash many predicted. The film, which opens in 10 additional countries Thursday, will rely on strong word of mouth to drive big results for the weekend. Encouraging the studio are surprisingly upbeat reviews (about 83 percent of top critics gave it positive marks, according to RottenTomatoes.com) and an “A” grade from CinemaScore, the company that surveys moviegoer reactions to films.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/29/this-is-it-reaps-201-million-on-first-day/

Sony's unusual Wednesday launch for its Michael Jackson movie "This Is It" yielded decidedly mixed results.
The documentary sold $20.1-million worth of tickets around the world, with $7.4 million coming from the U.S. and Canada and $12.7 million from 97 foreign countries.
The United Kingdom was the biggest foreign market for "This Is It," bringing $1.9 million. France was next with $1.4 million, followed by Japan with $1.2 million, German with $1.1 million, and China with $730,000.
A small amount of the total came from night-time shows in the Western United States on Tuesday starting at 9 PM Pacific, but the vast majority is from screenings on Wednesday.
Opening movies worldwide on a Wednesday outside of summer of the holidays is extremely rare. On that basis, Sony can claim a solid launch when measured against any comparable films.
However, given the huge amounts of hype surrounding the movie and the $60 million Sony spent to make the movie, outside of its marketing costs, the opening is none too impressive.
Nighttime shows in the domestic market appear to have been particularly slow, as several studio executives had been expecting the movie to gross over $10 million domestically as of early evening Wednesday. Before the launch, executives at Sony and elsewhere said the movie could easily collect $20 million domestically on its opening day, which turned out to be the global total.
Sony is expecting relatively weak grosses today as well as Saturday, when moviegoers will likely be celebrating Halloween instead of going to theaters. Friday will be the critical day in determining the ultimate performance of "This Is It," because it will demonstrate whether word of mouth brings people who weren't rabid Michael Jackson fans to see the film.
While it's difficult to predict the ultimate worldwide performance of "This Is It" after one day, it appears that the domestic gross through Sunday will end up around $30 million, on the very low end of expectations before the picture launched.
Update (11:06 AM): Jackson fans who turned out loved the film. U.S. moviegoers gave "This Is It" an average grade of A, according to market research firm CinemaScore.
-- Ben Fritz
Photo: There were no lines for the first show of "This Is It" at The Grove shopping center in Los Angeles on Tuesday night. Credit: Brian Vander Brug/Los Angeles Times

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2009/10/201-million-is-it-for-this-is-it-.html

Last edited:

Sony should've kept their mouth shut about the movie making $250 million in 5 days because it doesn't look like it's happening at all.

Besides that, not bad for a Wed. debut in Oct. for a film of its type, but not too spectacular either.

Sony should've kept their mouth shut about the movie making $250 million in 5 days because it doesn't look like it's happening at all.

Besides that, not bad for a Wed. debut in Oct. for a film of its type, but not too spectacular either.

what the heck, why are fans so negative?? the movie is doing great! If sony says it's its biggest ever for a wednesday night, just take it from them as it is.. And guys, it's a concert-rehearsal movie, think of that for a second..
and i don't think any logical person ever talked about 250 mil in 5 days, i've never heard of that.

Last edited:

and to me so far it seems sony expectations were rather acurate

Re: Jackson's 'This Is It' draws $20.1M worldwide

LOS ANGELES – The King of Pop is No. 1 again.

"Michael Jackson's This Is It" has landed on top of the domestic box office with $7.4 million in its first day and $12.7 million overseas.

That gives the film documenting Jackson's rehearsals for his planned concert tour a worldwide total of $20.1 million.

Distributor Sony says the $7.4 million domestic haul is the best ever for a movie on a Wednesday.

Among the totals from other countries, "This Is It" brought in $1.9 million in Great Britain, $1.4 million France, $1.2 million in Japan and $1.1 million in Germany.

The film debuted in 99 countries Wednesday and expands to 10 more Thursday.

Jackson died June 25, just before he was to begin a marathon run of comeback concerts in London.

The only addition is well know that a portion goes to the children
For the rest I triets, very sad

O unico bem disso é saber que uma parte vai para as crianças
Porque de resto estou triets, muito triste

People go see a movie on a FRIDAY and SATURDAY..

My only fear is Saturday, halloween day.. :S

Re: Jackson's 'This Is It' draws $20.1M worldwide

thats awesome news

it's awesome isnt it?

not harry potter size but still awesome

what the heck, why are fans so negative?? the movie is doing great! guys, it's a concert-rehearsal movie, think of that for a second..
and i don't think any logical person ever talked about 250 mil in 5 days, i've never heard of that

I read an article or 2 last week about Sony (or AEG?) talking about how it could make around $250 million in the 1st 5 days, which I thought was a pretty bold statement to make because, like you said, this is a concert-rehearsal movie, not a blockbuster. And yes, I have heard some people say it will make a ridiculous amount of money. Sorry if I come off negative. I just believe Sony should've let history take its course instead of predicting a ridiculous amount of cash. I want it to succeed (it deserves to) and earn a crapload of money, but I'm being realistic about it too.

Like I said, it's not doing bad for an Oct. Wednesday release for a film of its type. :D

Edit: It was AEG - http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1623916/20091015/index.jhtml

Last edited:

I read an article or 2 last week about Sony (or AEG?) talking about how it could make around $250 million in the 1st 5 days, which I thought was a pretty bold statement to make because, like you said, this is a concert-rehearsal movie, not a blockbuster. And yes, I have heard some people say it will make a ridiculous amount of money. Sorry if I come off negative. I just believe Sony should've let history take its course instead of predicting a ridiculous amount of cash. I want it to succeed (it deserves to) and earn a crapload of money, but I'm being realistic about it too.

Like I said, it's not doing bad for an Oct. Wednesday release for a film of its type. :D

always watch the source, because i doubt it was a legit calculation of any authority -sony or any other- in their right mind.. 250 mil is what a blockbuster movie does in a month, -and one that is doing fantastic.. Not a movie like this -or frankly any movie- in 5 days.. It has never happened, not even with harry potter or the titanic..

I'm worried about that too. Halloween weekend is notoriously known for being a bad weekend for movies.

Opening weekend takings are the biggest and most important. From then on, films takings drop, just how big a drop will be interesting.

Worldwide takings will be most important I'd think.

whoever predicted $250mil in 5 days was daydreaming in the pipesmoke. if BO holds steady onThurs, then things could look very positive for Fri-Sun, Sat maybe a historically dismay for movies, but with Thriller/MJ being the most popular costume this year, it's hard to write Sat off at this point. One thing going TII's favor? strong word of mouth, I've been looking at twitter and this is definitely one of the best reviewed film by regular Joe/Jane.

always watch the source, because i doubt it was a legit calculation of any authority -sony or any other- in their right mind.. 250 mil is what a blockbuster movie does in a month, -and one that is doing fantastic.. Not a movie like this -or frankly any movie- in 5 days.. It has never happened, not even with harry potter or the titanic..

Good point, though the closest movie that ever came near $250 million in 5 days was The Dark Knight with $203 million. Perhaps it could be a miscalculation, but that statement is all over the internet now. I'm pissed that some people are already calling it a failure when, really. it's not doing bad for its opening day for a film its type.

Well we can change that by going out and seeing it again on both friday and saturday. We can do it the tickets are only $10 at the most. I'm doing it and bringing everybody I know. I've done this for cds as well and they cost more. Come on, we can't let the people that were secretly wishing for this to fail (and I know a few) to win, not this time. We gotta take that title (the highest grossing cncert film of all time) from Miley (no offense to her fans) and give it Mchael. I really don't care If TII grosses crazy #'s in the end (though we can make it) just as long as it takes that title.

Oh btw, my name is Chrissy and I'm new to posting here (obviously) but I've been a lurker for months and an MJ fan for YEARS.

Re: TII made 10 million its first day

I don't know what to think now - so many sources and so many different numbers - usually predictions are almost the same but in this case we can read that TII got yesterday: 7.4, 10, 12????

Ok..Here are the facts:

The movie made 7.4M in North America (2.2M one Tuesday & 5.2M on wednesday)

It made another 12.7M in the rest of the word

For a total of 20.1M.

The other numbers are all predictions. Obviously, analysts had predicted a much more impressive box office receipt for the first day, ranging from 15M to 30M for the first day.

Of course now, some in the media will call it a flop because it did not meet expectations.

Hopefully, things will pick up on friday & sunday.

Saturday is halloween, so there won't be much activity.

Now I am wondering what happened to all those pre-release tickets? If 1600 showings were sold out in the US alone, where are these people? When are they planning on using these tickets? Maybe friday? sunday?

We'll see on sunday afternoon.

Sony pushed the sold out theme too much, many people thought there weren't any tickets left at the theater. They thought the movie had sold out everywhere.

Last edited:

Edit: It was AEG - http://www.vh1.com/news/articles/1623916/20091015/index.jhtml

Yes, it was AEG that put that 250M number out there. And Sony right away came out and said it was totally not true.

AEG really failed the expectation game. If they had predicted 5M$...then the movie would have been call a hit right now.

Well, let's hope many people go see it on Friday. That could turn things around.

Originally Posted by Calotte12

Saturday is Halloween. so don't expect big numbers.

Well we can change that by going out and seeing it again on both friday and saturday. We can do it the tickets are only $10 at the most. I'm doing it and bringing everybody I know. I've done this for cds as well and they cost more. Come on, we can't let the people that were secretly wishing for this to fail (and I know a few) to win, not this time. We gotta take that title (the highest grossing cncert film of all time) from Miley (no offense to her fans) and give it Mchael. I really don't care If TII grosses crazy #'s in the end (though we can make it) just as long as it takes that title.

Oh btw, my name is Chrissy and I'm new to posting here (obviously) but I've been a lurker for months and an MJ fan for YEARS.

Welcome to the boards! :D

This is the kind of headline that kill a movie :(. I hope theater owners give the movie a chance and don't start pulling it out before the 2-week period.

If that continue, the estate might not even see a cent out of this movie, because Sony have to recoup their investment (rightfully so) before they turn in a profit.
With a $7.4 million opening, Michael Jackson's 'This Is It' ain't startin' something

Pseudo documentary will fade fast at the box office

Sometimes hype can be your own worst enemy in the movie business and that appears to be the case with "MIchael Jackson's This Is It." Rushed out less than six months after the passing of the musical icon, the pseudo documentary compiled from rehearsal footage of his planned London concert tour was touted as possibly being one of the biggest openers of the year. Based on early online ticket sales and the fascination with Jackson after his death, Sony Pictures and AEG Live were hinting at anywhere from $100-200 million worldwide in the first week alone. Newsflash: that's not gonna happen now.

Yesterday's underwhelming $2.2 million from midnight shows was the first warning, but the complete opening day's gross of $7.4 million is the reality check. With Halloween landing on a Saturday, "This Is It" is looking at a 30-35 million five-day gross at best. And as with most concert films, its box office should fade quickly past opening weekend.

Internationally, Sony is reporting the picture took in a somewhat stronger $12.7 million yesterday. Prospects are certainly higher overseas, but those numbers are still significantly lower than what was initially projected. "This Is It" still has a chance to reach $100 million outside the U.S., but that's a far cry from the massive blockbuster Sony was hoping for.
Some quick comparison, last year Walt Disney released the concert film "Hannah Montana: Best of Both Worlds" in February of 2009 on only 683 screeens for an opening day of $8.6 million. While that was a Friday, the more universally hyped "This Is It" made less on four times the number of screens (3,000).

Its important to note that while Sony paid $60 million to acquire the rights to the material from AEG Live, additional millions were invested to edit and complete the film as well as market it. And considering the ad blitz you may have experienced, that budget wasn't miniscule. Optimists will note the film received an "A" Cinemascore rating with moviegoers, but long range financial prospects look stronger in the home entertainment arena.

The Jackson Estate won't suffer from the disappointing opening, however. Forbes just announced Jackson's assets have grossed over $72 million since his passing.

Look for continuing updates on the box office performance of "This Is It" as the holiday weekend progresses.

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2009...-jackson-s-this-is-it-ain-t-startin-something

That is why we have to do something. I just can't stand to think of all the headlines that will surround this films financial pull. It shouldn't mater what people say but unfortunatley it does.

I don't understand why should post and circulate this kind of stuff here, and not the positive one -which is also closer to the truth. Like this one:

'This Is It': $20 mil Opening for a Documentary Couldn't Be Better

It’s all how you spin it, right?
Michael Jackson’s “This Is It” made $20 million worldwide opening on a Wednesday in October on the first night of the World Series. This is considered a tremendous success, not a disappointment. How it got labeled the latter is beyond me.
If “This Is It” makes $70 million domestically through Sunday night, believe me, Sony and AEG and Michael Jackson’s estate will be very happy. There’s no reason to think it won’t. The film has an across-the-board Cinemascope rating of A. Most of the reviews, except for one crazy one, are positive. THR’s Kirk Honeycutt lavished praise on it, and he’s tough, kids. If he likes it, you know it’s good.

A few days ago, one movie blog decided that “This Is It” should make $250 million in its first weekend. This is the usual craziness of bad or no reporting. If the movie makes just that domestically, and another $150 million abroad before its scheduled Jan. 20 DVD release, all parties will celebrate.
By the way, all the worldwide numbers aren’t in. The film opened in 10 more countries today. On Friday, record producer L.A. Reid is hosting a private A-list screening. There will be more of those.
As for the naysayers who claim that it doesn’t tell the whole Jackson story, this is what I say: You’re right. This is a behind-the-scenes look at performance. The rest of it — and there’s plenty — will be explored in detail later.

http://showbiz411.blogs.thr.com/michael-jackson-this-is-it-20-mil-opening/

We shouldn't let those kind of pseudo-sources in the web get their way on the publicity that the film gets those first days. It's crap, and we should fight it back. We know some people hated him and always will, they've prepared their rubish-texts long time ago to spoil its weekend performance..

Spread the word that the movie is doing GREAT! Most headlines I've seen in the mainstream media so far stick by that, and we should help keep that going..

$20mil opening on a Wednesday in Oct is perfectly acceptable. Problem is that $250m slip by AEG and the overhype of sold-out shows put TII front and center for ridicule regardless of the final weekend tally. If this movie finishes it's 2-week run on the current path, it's still a big success, if it takes off like a slow burner with strong legs, then all the better...

Official Number of TII first day $7,445,661

TITLE DAILY LOCATIONS LOCATION AVG. TOTAL GROSS WEEKS DISTRIBUTOR
WIDE (1000+)
1 Michael Jackson's This Is It $7,445,661 -- 3,481 -- $2,139 $7,445,661 1 Sony/ Columbia
2 Paranormal Activity $1,466,211 -14% 1,945 +1,182 $754 $66,605,222 5 Paramount
3 Law Abiding Citizen $908,946 -23% 2,890 0 $315 $43,155,764 2 Overture
4 Where the Wild Things Are $715,018 -15% 3,735 0 $191 $55,951,820 2 Warner Bros.
5 Saw VI $675,918 -24% 3,036 -- $223 $16,573,038 1 Lionsgate
6 Couples Retreat $646,005 -19% 3,074 +65 $210 $79,874,105 3 Universal
7 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant $317,025 -18% 2,754 -- $115 $7,381,565 1 Universal
8 Zombieland $295,074 -21% 2,124 -1,047 $139 $68,230,530 4 Sony/ Columbia
9 The Stepfather $272,863 -23% 2,466 -268 $111 $21,031,283 2 Sony/ Screen Gems
10 Astro Boy $258,713 -13% 3,014 -- $86 $7,567,539 1 Summit
11 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $215,224 -9% 2,418 -569 $89 $115,570,923 6 Sony/ Columbia

http://boxoffice.com/numbers/

Re: Official Number of TII first day $7,445,661

Michael Back at number 1 !!!

Back