TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: TII expected to gross $77 million by the end of the weekend

Sony should've kept their mouth shut about the movie making $250 million in 5 days because it doesn't look like it's happening at all.

Besides that, not bad for a Wed. debut in Oct. for a film of its type, but not too spectacular either.

Actually, it was AEG who leaked that ridiculous number. Sony came out right away and shut it down.

AEG most likely pull that number out of their a$$, because there is no way the movie could pull that kind of money.

The expectations were too high and now even though the movie is pulling decent $$, it is viewed as a failure.

I am hoping thursday receipt does not drop that much otherwise the media and rival studios will kill the momentum for the weekend.

$20mil opening on a Wednesday in Oct is perfectly acceptable. Problem is that $250m slip by AEG and the overhype of sold-out shows put TII front and center for ridicule regardless of the final weekend tally. If this movie finishes it's 2-week run on the current path, it's still a big success, if it takes off like a slow burner with strong legs, then all the better...

I have said that 2 weeks before the movie open, too much emphasis was put on the sold out shows. Some people can't read and they assume "1600 sold out shows" as "the movie is sold out'. I read tweets were folks complain that the movie is sold out they won't be able to see it in theater.

Whoever thought hyping the 1600 sold out shows would get more people to the movie made a big mistake, it did create buzz, but the information wasn't received the way it was intended.

$20mil opening on a Wednesday in Oct is perfectly acceptable. Problem is that $250m slip by AEG and the overhype of sold-out shows put TII front and center for ridicule regardless of the final weekend tally. If this movie finishes it's 2-week run on the current path, it's still a big success, if it takes off like a slow burner with strong legs, then all the better...

I posted above Roger's incite on that, how many times should it be repeated..?

He says: "If 'This Is It' makes $70 million domestically through Sunday night, believe me, Sony and AEG and Michael Jackson’s estate will be very happy. There’s no reason to think it won’t. The film has an across-the-board Cinemascope rating of A. Most of the reviews, except for one crazy one, are positive. A few days ago, one movie blog decided that 'This Is It' should make $250 million in its first weekend. This is the usual craziness of bad or no reporting. If the movie makes just that domestically, and another $150 million abroad before its scheduled Jan. 20 DVD release, all parties will celebrate.
By the way, all the worldwide numbers aren’t in."

So kill this $250 mil story now!

Whoever thought hyping the 1600 sold out shows would get more people to the movie made a big mistake, it did create buzz, but the information wasn't received the way it was intended.

I disagree. A guy in work who is not a fan was telling me earlier today that he wants to check the movie out and will probably do so soon because he heared "it's sold out". All is going well in both promotion and reception, except from the masochism of some of the fans who love to stick to the negative stuff they will hear

Re: TII made 10 million its first day

The other numbers are all predictions. Obviously, analysts had predicted a much more impressive box office receipt for the first day, ranging from 15M to 30M for the first day.
Of course now, some in the media will call it a flop because it did not meet expectations.

NO serious source had made wilder predictions. I never heared one from a legit sony (or aeg) source. A stupid blog came out with the expectations-in-hundreds-of-millions story in the weekend. Noone seriously bought that, and no one in their right mind will compare the film's actual appeal to that. If you wanna be correct stop reading rumors circulating in blogs and watch the numbers.

The movie is doing great in all aspects. GREAT! And the sold-out theme was a good PR move. It will lead people in the cinemas who wouldn't go otherwise. stop the drama

MJ won't be number one, lates prediction:

1 Paranormal Activity $23.660
2 This Is It $20.016
3 Wild Things... $7.837
4 Law Abiding Citizen $7.325
5 Couples Retreat $6.811
6 Saw VI $6.224
7 Astro Boy $4.153
8 Chance of Meatballs $4.064
9 Cirque du Freak $3.649
10 Step Father $3.554

source:http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/movie-predictions.php

I hope it's not gonna happend...

2 This Is It $20.016
3 Wild Things... $7.837
5 Couples Retreat $6.811
6 Saw VI $6.224
7 Astro Boy $4.153
9 Cirque du Freak $3.649
10 Step Father $3.554

Is this 20 mil just for the weekened, or cumulative? If it's the first, then it's clearly not bad by any standards.. If it's the second, it's probably an erroneous calculation..

I don't believe that $20 million prediction at all for the whole 5 day weekend. To me its becoming clear that some sections of the media are desperate to want this movie to fail or label it as a flop and they don't care how they do it.

I think the site -which I haven't heared of and don't know if is credible- means this as a weekend ONLY gross, which means that TII will have by the end of its first weekend made over 30 mil.. A VERY modest calculation if you ask me, which is still not bad by any standards. It means it will finish the 2 weeks with about 60 mil, and if extended to a month, 80 mil..
this is alot -and it's modest

Last edited:

I don't believe that $20 million prediction at all for the whole 5 day weekend. To me its becoming clear that some sections of the media are desperate to want this movie to fail or label it as a flop and they don't care how they do it.

I totally agree. Let's suppress the negativity. bring on the good reports only

$20 million for Fri/Sat/Sun are insane. This movie will do over $20 million on Friday alone mark my words!

NO serious source had made wilder predictions. I never heared one from a legit sony (or aeg) source. A stupid blog came out with the expectations-in-hundreds-of-millions story in the weekend. Noone seriously bought that, and no one in their right mind will compare the film's actual appeal to that. If you wanna be correct stop reading rumors circulating in blogs and watch the numbers.

The movie is doing great in all aspects. GREAT! And the sold-out theme was a good PR move. It will lead people in the cinemas who wouldn't go otherwise. stop the drama

This is a discussion board last time I check. So get a grip with your drama talk.

AEG came up with the 250M$ prediction. Know the facts before replying.

OH HELL NO, I'm sorry...but this CAN NOT happen. this movie has GOT TO BE number 1 for real. we have got to change this somehow.

2 This Is It $20.016
3 Wild Things... $7.837
5 Couples Retreat $6.811
6 Saw VI $6.224
7 Astro Boy $4.153
9 Cirque du Freak $3.649
10 Step Father $3.554

I dont know what site it is but NOW the Box-office lower his prediction to $38 million for the opening week in North America

Last edited:

I dont know what site it is but NOW the Box-office lower his prediction to $38 million for the opening week in North America

What is going on...that is an insane drop. We knew the 77M$ was crazy, but going from 77M to 38M in less than 12 hours?

It must mean Thursday's numbers are really bad.

That is very disappointing.

Don't be surprised if theaters start pulling it out after Sunday. I am shocked by the new predictions from boxoffice.com because they are quite reliable.

Again, i ask where are those sold out shows?

Last edited:

you guys are insane, I don't know who started all these crazy predictions, but inside tracking before it opened had always pointed to mid 30s low 40s 1st weekend in NA. that crappy sold-out strategy by Sony is backfiring big time - by putting TII out there for ridicule. now onto that guy predicting PA outsell TII this weekend, I don't know what kind of movie PA is, but for a movie to do 9% more business than it did on its 1st weekend is a remarkable thing, I doubt PA is a movie to achieve that feat.

What is going on...that is an insane drop. We knew the 77M$ was crazy, but going from 77M to 38M in less than 12 hours?

It must mean Thursday's numbers are really bad.

That is very disappointing.

Don't be surprised if theaters start pulling it out after Sunday. I am shocked by the new predictions from boxoffice.com because they are quite reliable.

Again, i ask where are those sold out shows?

That's what i'm wondering as well. AEG/SONY and Fandango reported big pre-sales across the country, so i'm finding this hard to believe right now. They should have never hyped up the movie sales and talked about how much it was going to gross in the first place without actual figures being released. Bad move.

Either way, the movie has done well so far, it is not a flop like some are saying. $20 million in one day is very good if you ask me, but AEG or Sony, whoever it was, should have just never hyped it up the way they did.

But the reviews for the movie are great overall, so hopefully word of mouth about the movie will help increase tix sales.

Last edited:

Thanks for the news, this article is getting updated from time to time, they'll have another update soon.

Last edited:

$20 million for Fri/Sat/Sun are insane. This movie will do over $20 million on Friday alone mark my words!

yes, i think like you. People are going to be there Friday (today where I am) perhaps a treat to their selfs for Halloween weekend. I saw it already the first midnight showing and will see it Friday,tonight. most likely a third time alone. i brought 2 people with me the first midnight showing and 3 are coming tonight with me. I've noticed if not paid screenings people are bringing 3 to 4 sets of people with them on opening night,i'll see what happens tonight I am perparing for hard to find seating even if we show up early. also, the cinemas added double room showings since the first permiere. every show has two showings now at the same time but different cinema screens.

Do you know if those sold out shows were mostly for the weekend? or were they mainly for opening day?

If those sold out shows are for the 1st weekend, then things could turn around nicely this weekend.

For those suggesting that we suppress negative reports, that is total nonsense. We need to know both side of a story, so we can take action to help the movie.

I have recommended it to many people, and i continue to send tweets to my followers. We cannot just read the positive and leave out the negative.

Last edited:

For those suggesting that we suppress negative reports, that is total nonsense. We need to know both side of a story, so we can take action to help the movie.

It's one thing to know the full truth out there, and another to hook on any idiocy written on any blog..

The movie is doing great guys.. 30-40 mil by the end of the first weekend is HUGE, especially for such a movie. Globally it will do 70 by Sunday, sure thing. I don't know who starts the rumors against which we ought to compare the performance, but let's start evaluating the numbers for what they are, not against what some said they should be..

Last edited:

This is a discussion board last time I check. So get a grip with your drama talk.

AEG came up with the 250M$ prediction. Know the facts before replying.

Your advice should go the other way around.
AEG has sold footage to sony since the summer. they haven't been involved since. Sony makes the distribution, sony makes the projections. All else is bogus.
And the 250mil crap came from a blog. You learn the facts.

Discussion board should not mean, and in fact does not mean recycling negative spin. ok, if something goes wrong we discuss it. but when we rush to say something's wrong when all else say it's not, that's negativity. And it's not needed.

The sales figures so far are amazing for a "documentary"

Ok..Here are the facts:

The movie made 7.4M in North America (2.2M one Tuesday & 5.2M on wednesday)

It made another 12.7M in the rest of the word

For a total of 20.1M.

The other numbers are all predictions. Obviously, analysts had predicted a much more impressive box office receipt for the first day, ranging from 15M to 30M for the first day.

Of course now, some in the media will call it a flop because it did not meet expectations.

Hopefully, things will pick up on friday & sunday.

Saturday is halloween, so there won't be much activity.

Now I am wondering what happened to all those pre-release tickets? If 1600 showings were sold out in the US alone, where are these people? When are they planning on using these tickets? Maybe friday? sunday?

We'll see on sunday afternoon.

Sony pushed the sold out theme too much, many people thought there weren't any tickets left at the theater. They thought the movie had sold out everywhere.

I have to disagree with that statement, Alot of people are too old for holloween, including me lol, and alot of people don't celebrate hollowen, so I Think saturday will be good boxoffice gross day....

My local Pathé cinema here at Amsterdam (Arena Stadium) shows TII in 2 different "rooms". The largest is 600+ seats and the only sold-out movie tonight is TII!

I saw 3/4 showings were completely sold out already for tonight when I was there in the afternoon! Only for the last showing at 23:15 there were still quite some places left!

OK my neighborhood is quite "colored" which might explain the higher interest for MJ, it could be different in other cinemas in Amsterdam but still it's incredible so far!

For tomorrow there are already 4/12 completely sold out. Only for the early showings (5 from 9:30 to 15:00) and the 2 latest showings (23:15 and 00:15) there are still seats left!

For Sunday 5/10 showings are sold out completely already so far :)

Keeping in mind most people will buy tickets "on the spot" I think we might be pleasantly surprised by the sales abroad this weekend!

Thursday Afternoon Update (3:00 p.m. PT): Michael Jackson's This Is It debuted with $7.45 million on Wednesday. While that was a solid gross for a weekday in October, it represented a slower start than was originally expected. As a result, expectations for the weekend have been downgraded, but This Is It should still win the weekend by a comfortable margin. Paramount will expand Paranormal Activity into an additional 457 locations this weekend, which should allow the film to hold up rather nicely once again.
Check out our final Top 10 predictions in the table below.

Weekend Predictions: October 30 to November 1, 2009

Title Gross (M) Cume (M) Locations Inc./Dec.

1 Michael Jackson's This Is It $38.0 $50.0 3,481 New
2 Paranormal Activity $16.5 $84.7 2,402 +457
3 Law Abiding Citizen $7.7 $51.8 2,764 -126
4 Where the Wild Things Are $7.3 $64.0 3,645 -90
5 Couples Retreat $6.5 $87.0 3,027 -47
6 Saw VI $6.0 $23.2 3,036 0
7 The Stepfather $3.7 $25.0 2,346 -388
8 Astro Boy $3.5 $11.4 3,020 +6
9 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant $3.4 $11.1 2,754 0
10 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $3.3 $119.1 2,322 -419

Multiplexes across the country will be dominated by a deceased musical icon this weekend as Sony unleashes Michael Jackson's This Is It at 3,400 locations.

The film has already grossed $2.2 million from midnight shows and its Wednesday and Thursday numbers promise to be strong heading into what is bound to be a record-breaking weekend. This Is It should easily trump the $31.1 million debut of Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: The Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour. which currently holds the record for the best opening weekend of any concert film. The Disney release was also billed as a limited engagement before hanging around in theaters for 15 weeks and grossing $65.3 million. According to various exhibition sources, Sony probably will almost certainly leave the This Is It in theaters for more than the planned two-week period.

Online sales for This Is It have remained consistently strong. The film landed in the #15 spot on MovieTickets.com's Top 25 Advance Ticket Sellers of All Time list, and as of 3 p.m. PT it's responsible for 70 percent of daily sales. On Fandango.com, the film is the #3 seller of the year, and as of 2 p.m. PT This Is It is responsible for 72 percent of daily sales. According to Harry Medved of Fandango, there has been an increase in sales since positive reviews started popping up online.
"This Is It is really hitting in all demographic groups at Flixster," says John Singh, a spokesperson for the site. "If there's a soft spot it's older males—but at the same time, one of the audiences showing the biggest interest is under-25 males. It's certainly the movie with the highest want-to-see at Flixster this weekend, by far, with overall activity up 160% over last week."
Based on how its performing already, it seems likely that This Is It will bring in $48 million from Friday to Sunday and a five-day total of $77 million. The rush to see the film will also mean that its grosses are going to be very front loaded, so a steady decline after this weekend is likely.

With audiences taking part in Halloween activities, the atmosphere is still ideal for another strong weekend from Paranormal Activity. Paramount's word-of-mouth success showed its strength in a major way last weekend by trumping Saw VI at the box office. PA will maintain a lot of that momentum this weekend, and it will represent a viable alternative for moviegoers who are not big Michael Jackson fans.

Expect PA to add another $15 million to its impressive haul. Reaching the $100 million plateau looks like a sure thing at this point for the little horror movie that could.

After being upset by Paranormal Activity last weekend, Saw VI should suffer a significant drop of at least 55 percent during its sophomore frame. The latest installment of the popular series will make around $6 million this weekend. Lionsgate is probably crossing its fingers and hoping that the franchise's audience will return for Saw VII in 3D next year.

Check back tomorrow for our Top 10 weekend predictions as well as official location counts.

http://boxoffice.com/

Sales figures are looking better than I thought. I think it will do pretty well!

Impressive. To be honest Im quite surprised, I was expecting lower numbers especially after the 2.2 million on the first night.

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged)

All I am gonna say is that I am watching TII three times in one week! I never go to the movies too!! I was originally going to only watch it twice, but after I went on Wednesday, I couldn't get it out of my head and had to go again Thursday. I'll be going again on Halloween night. It takes a very special movie to get me to go and I can't think of a more special or eventful movie like TII.

I've only watched a movie in the theater 3 times once before and that was 'Moulin Rouge' back in 2001!

This movie is going to end up being big no matter what because of the fans who are going over and over again. If some media outlet actually polls the moviegoers, I bet a lot of them would say that they have gone at least twice to see the movie.

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged)

what is the update for thursday's numbers?

Back