TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: This Is It grossed 2.2 millions only for midnight screening

Those who saw it said that they will see it a few more times..yeahhh!!

I want nothing but earth shattering records for Mike from this movie, he deserves it!

I want nothing but earth shattering records for Mike from this movie, he deserves it!

that's right. earth shattering for not only an earth shattering, hard working entertainer, but for a wonderful human being who deserves it.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...-for-10-million-to-12-milion-opening-day.html

'This Is It' headed for $10 million to $12 million opening day
October 28, 2009 | 6:58 pm

The opening-day box office for "This Is It" is neither a "Thriller" nor "Bad."

According to executives at several studios who have been tracking the returns, the new Michael Jackson documentary is likely to sell $10 million to $12 million worth of tickets domestically today.

Though that number could vary a bit depending on how later screenings perform, executives experienced in tracking box office said the movie had virtually no chance of collecting more than $15 million or less than $9 million.

"This Is It" sold $2.2 million worth of tickets last night; most of that probably occurred after midnight and can be counted in today's grosses.

Comparisons with other movies are difficult, given that the only major releases studios have put out on a Wednesday outside of summer or the holidays are "The Passion of the Christ," a phenomenon that benefited from group purchases by churches, and "The Matrix Revolutions," the third movie in a blockbuster trilogy. Those pictures collected $26.6 million and $24.3 million, respectively, on their opening days.

The movie's big test will come Friday. Ticket sales Thursday are expected to be slow as most hard-core Michael Jackson fans will have come out last night or today. Saturday will also be slow because it's Halloween, historically a dismal day at the box office even though Sony is trying to generate publicity connected to Jackson's album "Thriller."

If word of mouth is strong and moviegoers beyond the most devoted Jackson fans are interested, that is likely to be evident in healthy ticket sales Friday. If it's a slow day, Sony may be looking at a five-day gross as low as $30 million and a soft two-week run relative to its investment of $60 million in rights to make the movie and tens of millions more in marketing.

Ultimately, however, domestic ticket sales may not be that important. "This Is It" is expected to perform substantially better overseas, where it could be a major hit regardless of how the film does in the U.S. and Canada. Box-office receipts from the 95 foreign countries where "This Is It" opened simultaneously are not yet available.

MJ has the best fans in the world. We always support him and get others to see the magic in him too.:wub:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/ent...-for-10-million-to-12-milion-opening-day.html

'This Is It' headed for $10 million to $12 million opening day
October 28, 2009 | 6:58 pm
Saturday will also be slow because it's Halloween, historically a dismal day at the box office even though Sony is trying to generate publicity connected to Jackson's album "Thriller."

Come on now. Halloween? That's the BEST day to see it! I'm taking my 9 year old daughter to see it on Halloween at 4:30pm and she's dressing up in her new fedora, black jacket, sparkly socks, black loafers, and rhinestone MJ glove and I expect there'll be many others in attendance who'll also be in costume. Halloween should be GREAT for ticket sales. I'm telling you right now.....Halloween is gonna be HUGE for 'This Is It'. I predict that. It's gonna be massive. Even "casual" younger fans who just know the song Thriller will buy tickets because it's Halloween and Thriller is synonymous with Halloween. :)

Things are looking GREAT for This Is It and Mike's legacy. :D :D :D

After all the years of lies and accusations and complete bull****......

Vindication feels so good!!!! Whooooooo!!!!

I went last night and it was amazing. Fans coming together for such a great event.. I'm so sad I wasn't able to be at the bigger memorial events though :'(

TII Box Office News (Merged)

I will get the source but I read online a minute ago, on its first day TII made 10 million:wild::clapping:

Lets keep the movie strong for the next 2 weeks its gonna be here

& p.s. I've read the DVD will be 17 Dec then Feb '10 (???)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: TII made 10 million its first day

The movie did $2.2 million Tuesday night in the US and Canada. That's ALL the information we know right now. New updates will be given today for yesterday's (Wednesdays) numbers. I imagine North American box office numbers for Tuesday-Wednesday will be around $10-12 million. That does not include the other 90+ countries who have the movie as well.

The real test is this weekend. This movie by rights should bring in $25 million on Friday alone in the US. Will it do this? Who knows. There is really no way of predicting anything right now. We just have to wait for more updates.

Sony's Michael Jackson documentary "This Is It" moonwalked to a stellar $7.4 million in estimated first-day boxoffice on Wednesday.

Pre-release forecasts projected that the pic should open north of $40 million through Sunday. "This Is It" bowed simultaneously in 97 foreign territories, with Sony promoting releases as a two-week-only theatrical campaign.
That could change if word of mouth sustains the early big grosses following solid early support from critics. But for now, the limited theatrical window seems to be stoking must-see interest in the film.

Rival studios were the first to estimate the pic's first-day boxoffice. Sony is expected to release its own number sometime Thursday.

The first-day haul for "This Is It" easily topped daily boxoffice rankings, though it set no records. Paramount's supernatural thriller "Paranormal Activity" was second among all Wednesday grosses with $1.5 million and $66.6 million cumulative, while Overture Films' crime thriller "Law Abiding Citizen" ranked third with $880,000 for a $43.1 million total.

Sony unspooled "This Is It" at 9 p.m. PDT Tuesday, but the studio will include those grosses - totaling $2.2 million -- in its Wednesday tally. Sony acquired worldwide distribution rights for a reported $60 million.

"This Is It" contains rehearsals footage, interviews and back-stage scenes from preparations for what would have been the late singer's 50-show concert extravaganza in London. AEG Entertainment subsequently announced plans for the documentary, which was directed by "High School Musical" helmer Kenny Ortega.

http://www.billboard.com/news/micha...on-s-this-is-it-moonwalks-to-1004031698.story

Hmmmmm...shame. I hope non fans will give that movie a chance. AEG had predicted big box office numbers, but apparently they were wrong.

Last edited:

Oh I really do hope the DVD comes out sooner than Feb..

Could we get some good news with great numbers?

TII expected to gross $77 million by the end of the weekend

TII expected to gross $77 million by the end of the weekend in North America

Multiplexes across the country will be dominated by a deceased musical icon this weekend as Sony unleashes Michael Jackson's This Is It at 3,400 locations.

The film has already grossed $2.2 million from midnight shows and its Wednesday and Thursday numbers promise to be strong heading into what is bound to be a record-breaking weekend. This Is It should easily trump the $31.1 million debut of Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: The Best of Both Worlds Concert Tour. which currently holds the record for the best opening weekend of any concert film. The Disney release was also billed as a limited engagement before hanging around in theaters for 15 weeks and grossing $65.3 million. According to various exhibition sources, Sony probably will almost certainly leave the This Is It in theaters for more than the planned two-week period.

Online sales for This Is It have remained consistently strong. The film landed in the #15 spot on MovieTickets.com's Top 25 Advance Ticket Sellers of All Time list, and as of 3 p.m. PT it's responsible for 70 percent of daily sales. On Fandango.com, the film is the #3 seller of the year, and as of 2 p.m. PT This Is It is responsible for 72 percent of daily sales. According to Harry Medved of Fandango, there has been an increase in sales since positive reviews started popping up online.

"This Is It is really hitting in all demographic groups at Flixster," says John Singh, a spokesperson for the site. "If there's a soft spot it's older males—but at the same time, one of the audiences showing the biggest interest is under-25 males. It's certainly the movie with the highest want-to-see at Flixster this weekend, by far, with overall activity up 160% over last week."

Based on how its performing already, it seems likely that This Is It will bring in $48 million from Friday to Sunday and a five-day total of $77 million. The rush to see the film will also mean that its grosses are going to be very front loaded, so a steady decline after this weekend is likely.

http://boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2009/10/early-weekend-predictions-34.php

Re: TII expected to gross $77 million by the end of the weekend

Now we know that it's not true - 77 mln - it's not gonna happend because TII earn only 7.4 mln yesterday - your article is from 28 oct

from http://www.boxofficeguru.com/

But the film also stands as one of the year's most unpredictable players since there has never been a film or a situation like this one.

that's great! Mike always wanted to be an innovator so he's smiling down at us right now.

And my article is from BOX OFFICE

I think they know what they are talking about.

Now we know that it's not true - 77 mln - it's not gonna happend because TII earn only 7.4 mln yesterday - your article is from 28 oct

I tend to agree with you. I just read on MovieWeb that box office yesterday wasn't as high as expected.

I will very disappointing if this movie does become a hit. Nobody deserves it than Michael. And it is a good movie.

At the same time, who is buying all these online tickets? And when are they gonna use them? i find it strange that they sell so many tickets, but box office receipt is not that impressive.

Keeping my fingers crossed for friday. Because most likely most fans have already seen it...so it is up to non fans to change things.

Sales are going to increase today and over the weekend because the word of mouth and reviews have been so positive. I do think that the film will do at least $50 million for the opening weekend at US box office.

^^^ It will do more than $40 million. If the film already grossed $12 million on the opening day and this is the middle of the week then the figures are going to be higher for Friday and Saturday since that is when the majority of the public go to the movies. Online movie ticket retail sites have noted that there has already been a large increase in sales because of the positive buzz.

I don't know what to think now - so many sources and so many different numbers - usually predictions are almost the same but in this case we can read that TII got yesterday: 7.4, 10, 12????

I really hope for 40 and more....but now from many sources we have different numbers from wensday: 7 mln, 10 and 12....

Back