TII Box Office News (Merged) Grossed $238 Million WORLDWIDE thus far (UPDATE)

Re: TII Box Office News (Merged)

First of all the article is clearly from someone who is not sympathetic to say the least -we realized that already since thursday when he wrote in a rather gloomy way about the 20 mil of the opening night.
Second, I don't get why some here are so so frustrated.. TII is no.1 for a third day in a row, will do -even by this prediction- the 20 mil most have said it should do to have a very decent (halloween)weekend, and will close the 5-day period with over 30. I mean seriously, how many movies -other than huge smash blockbusters that is- do that..?
some hear really sound as non-fans do.

It's doing ok. chill out

So what went wrong? Sony execs think in this country moviegoers thought all the screenings were already sold-out because of the hoopla surrounding the pre-sales frenzy which the studio itself hyped in the media. And now it looks like only diehard ***** fans have been turning out for the pic.
exactly what I have been saying. They should have never raise expectations knowing full well the movie was coming out on Halloween week.

And I still don't see all those 1600-sold out shows in the box office receipts. Sony & AEG must take the blame for this. Not MJ or his estate.

They should extend the movie, because word of mouth is strong and the impact will start to show in the coming weeks. The numbers could be better on Sunday, because Halloween will be behind us and the Paranormal Activity hype will start to die down

Finke is a hater, and he can't even hide it.

Sony should put the emphasis on the global box office

Last edited:

Guy's, It's actually not that bad...it's right on par with Miley's opening week (although I'm still cossing my fingers that it beats that number by atleast 2mil by sunday). If Sony extends it for atleast one more week, and it keeps going as it is now, it will beat Miley's record and become the highest grossing concert film of all time and at this point, that's really all I care about. Besides, it's smashing her overseas soo...that's something.

P.S. The ONLY reason why we (the fans) are getting upset by the numbers is because of the insane predictions blogers, rival studios, and AEG were making. If you take there voices out of your head, you'll be able to clearly see how TII is actually a great sucess. By the end of the week, Michael will be King of both the Box Office and music charts so let's be happy.

I don't like these numbers, I really don't.

Very sad.

Come on it's a music documentary and if it was about any other artist non of us would have went so why do we think everyone is going to rush out to see it. I've been twicw and i love it but i never for one second expected it to even do this well.

They should extend the movie, because word of mouth is strong and the impact will start to show in the coming weeks. The numbers could be better on Sunday, because Halloween will be behind us and the Paranormal Activity hype will start to die down

there's one thing we agree on.

but othersise i continue considering the movie as doing ok and not searching for anyside to put any blame on

Also, I think we bought into all the hype about Michael's Image being dramatically changed in peoples views since his death. Yes the mainstream media has backed off (a bit) but they still talk shit in their own way, and the people who disliked him from day one still dislike him now. Sony was HOPING that that the so-called "love" and "appreciation" Mike was getting from people since his death would translate into big box-office gold but it seems that even they failed to realize that the love was coming from two places and two places only, The already existing fans and a few people who were just now getting into him (a.k.a the "new" fans).

P.S. The ONLY reason why we (the fans) are getting upset by the numbers is because of the insane predictions blogers, rival studios, and AEG were making. If you take there voices out of your head, you'll be able to clearly see how TII is actually a great sucess. By the end of the week, Michael will be King of both the Box Office and music charts so let's be happy.

I SOO much agree on all of that!!!!!

Also, I think we bought into all the hype about Michael's Image being dramatically changed in peoples views since his death. Yes the mainstream media has backed off (a bit) but they still talk shit in their own way, and the people who disliked him from day one still dislike him now. Sony was HOPING that that the so-called "love" and "appreciation" Mike was getting from people since his death would translate into big box-office gold but it seems that even they failed to realize that the love was coming from two places and two places only, The already existing fans and a few people who were just now getting into him (a.k.a the "new" fans).

This is true in part, but I wouldn’t correlate it with the movie. I always believed that the overwhelming majority of those who have a negative -not just neutral- idea of him are not only not fans, but people who hardly listen to contemporary music at all. The portion of people who enjoyed his music, bought his records and is not doing so any longer because of all the bad press is rather small.that's my view on it.
If you ask me, the movie would do about the same as it does know if it was released in 1992.. And it’s good.

Michael Jackson Returns in "This Is It"

........ skipping to the end of the article ........

"People waited in line for hours, in the rain, outside a Washington DC movie theater, hoping for tickets to the only screening before the sold-out premiere.

They were not disappointed.

On its opening day worldwide, the film topped the box office, raking in $66.6 million. But it's not only about money. The movie reaffirms Jackson's genius and gives a glimpse of his comeback, had there been one. Fan or no fan, one leaves the theater heartbroken at the loss
."

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-10-31-voa4.cfm

Re: Michael Jackson Returns in "This Is It"

........ skipping to the end of the article ........

"People waited in line for hours, in the rain, outside a Washington DC movie theater, hoping for tickets to the only screening before the sold-out premiere.

They were not disappointed.

On its opening day worldwide, the film topped the box office, raking in $66.6 million. But it's not only about money. The movie reaffirms Jackson's genius and gives a glimpse of his comeback, had there been one. Fan or no fan, one leaves the theater heartbroken at the loss
."

http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-10-31-voa4.cfm

They made a mistake. The movie made $20.1 million globally on it's first day. I am very disappointed by Friday's numbers. Only $7.5 million! That is so ridiculous. I was expecting double or triple that. I guess, this is being treated like a traditional documentary. At least it's beating Paranormal Activity. I imagine sales for today will plunge due to Halloween. (Probably $3 million). Tomorrow (Sunday) will also probably be around 3-4 million. That is pathetic. The media will have a field day with this come Monday.

They made a mistake. The movie made $20.1 million globally on it's first day. I am very disappointed by Friday's numbers. Only $7.5 million! That is so ridiculous. I was expecting double or triple that. I guess, this is being treated like a traditional documentary. At least it's beating Paranormal Activity. I imagine sales for today will plunge due to Halloween. (Probably $3 million). Tomorrow (Sunday) will also probably be around 3-4 million. That is pathetic. The media will have a field day with this come Monday.

If the global numbers are good, there is nothing to sneer at.
Sony should release the global number simultaneously. MJ was an global artist. the $ is dismal in North America, but could still be great overseas,

Also, factor in that Halloween falls on a saturday. One cannot forget that.

ETA: i too thought they made a mistake with the 66M$, but they might have converted 20M$ into their local currency

You're pessimistic.

Halloween's Saturday is bad but not that bad.

Friday : 7,5
Sat : 8 M
Sunday : 6 M

Total 21,5 M

5 days : 33,5 M
7 days : 37 M

14 days : 55 M

It could beat Hannah Montanah if it stays one more week...

Globally, I see more than 150 MS

^Numbers will not increase on Saturday. It's Halloween and everybody is busy with trick or treating, parties, etc. The theaters are virtually dead on Halloween with the exception of any horror movies which can be busy. This gives the edge to paranormal activity vs this is it. I am expecting total weekend sales of $15 million in North America, 5 day total of $25 million. It should be #1 a the box office regardless, but with much lower sales than even the most conservative reports issued.

Im not sure about the 7.5 million on friday. How can he has the result now ?

We got the result at like 5 PM yesterday for thursday and at like 2 PM for wednesday

Im not sure about the 7.5 million on friday. How can he has the result now ?

We got the result at like 5 PM yesterday for thursday and at like 2 PM for wednesday

the guy is a proven hater. He couldn't wait to write his blog this morning and smear MJ's legacy.

And he claimed only hardcore fans are going to the theaters...how does he explain the fact that the soundtrack is #1 on itunes (most fans won't bother buying the cd), Essential # 25, thriller #32 & number ones # 36?

the majority of MJ's fans own all these albums already.

the guy is a proven hater. He couldn't wait to write his blog this morning and smear MJ's legacy.

And he claimed only hardcore fans are going to the theaters...how does he explain the fact that the soundtrack is #1 on itunes (most fans won't bother buying the cd), Essential # 25, thriller #32 & number ones # 36?

the majority of MJ's fans own all these albums already.

Cinema was not THE media for This Is It.

It's as simple as that !

The BO will be just Ok for what it is : a Docu-concert.

This being said, i want to know some real estimates for yesterday...and I still think that Saturday will not be that bad...

It could do 7,5 + 7,5 + 6 = 21 M

The movie will need another weekend I hope it will be extended.

ok y'all, I know it might be far fetched to say $250mil in 5 days....but Before we say It's not gonna happen, Lets Wait it out. I'm serious...just lets see what happens!

Love,
Romi

There is no way that will happen. It would be nice if it does but because of how the sales have been it won't be able to achieve that in 5 days and I don't even think it will be able to do it in the 2 weeks either. If they don't exend the run then I think the film will manage between $125-150 million worldwide.

There is no way that will happen. It would be nice if it does but because of how the sales have been it won't be able to achieve that in 5 days and I don't even think it will be able to do it in the 2 weeks either. If they don't exend the run then I think the film will manage between $125-150 million worldwide.

100 M WW in 1 week is a lock.

Only USA figures are really disappointing.

I hope that the movie will pass the 50 M in USA after 2 weeks. It would be cool if they keep it in Theaters 2 more weeks and with good W.O.M. it will beat the 65 M dollars in USA and 180 M WW.

It would be a decent figure !

Early estimates from ERC...

http://www.ercboxoffice.com/

TITLE STUDIO SITES GROSS AVG TOTAL
1 MICHAEL JACKSON'S THIS IS IT Sony · 3481 · $21,000,000 · $6,033 · $32,208,532
2 PARANORMAL ACTIVITY Paramount · 2404 · $17,000,000 · $7,072 · $85,240,045
3 LAW ABIDING CITIZEN Overture · 2764 · $7,000,000 · $2,533 · $51,081,650
4 COUPLES RETREAT Universal · 3026 · $6,500,000 · $2,148 · $87,065,755
5 WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE Warner Bros. · 3645 · $5,750,000 · $1,578 · $62,468,962
6 SAW VI Lionsgate · 3036 · $5,500,000 · $1,812 · $22,763,955

I believe we should lower our expectations and be happy that many people saw the movie and now they have a very positive opinion about Michael, and the ones who did not see it at least they heard about it or read reviews and they will defiantly change their opinions. I am very pleased about the reactions, it doesn’t matter what was hidden behind the scenes, or if there is a conspiracy, I am just glad that many people know him as a great person and a great artist. If the media will try anything now is to tarnish the movie, but they cannot tarnish Michael anymore because seeing is believing and people saw him for who he is in raw and candid details.

My two cents - I think what we need to know is examine WHY it is important for TII to be a blockbuster, to outsell Miley and all the other great things. If it is because we think it will add to Michael's legacy, then fine. But if it is for our own personal wants and desires ...

My two cents - I think what we need to know is examine WHY it is important for TII to be a blockbuster, to outsell Miley and all the other great things. If it is because we think it will add to Michael's legacy, then fine. But if it is for our own personal wants and desires ...

Michael would want to be #1..no doubt in my mind. I want that for him too.

I mean he is MJ, everything he has done has always been the most successful...He broke so many records. He loved breaking records. Just because he is no longer here, does not mean we have to stop wanting this for him.

I really really want this movie to be number one, MJ wouldn't settle for anything less.

I don't get why people are so obsessed with the US Boxoffice sales. It has proven in the past or so decade that Michael had a lot more loyal fans outside of the US.

It would be good though if it beats Miley Cyrus' Concert Movie hands down, in order to avoid another debate similar to Thriller v.s. Eagles.

When I look at the statistics over here from one of the largest companies (Pathé) which has large cinemas in various cities it's not that bad at all! From the 36 showings across 3 different cinemas here in Amsterdam still to come this weekend, there are already 20 fully sold out!

Evening showings are completely sold out today except for the ones after 23:00.

Rotterdam: 21 showings spread over 2 cinemas of which 13 fully sold out already.

Taking into consideration that probably most people will still buy tickets "on the spot" in the cinema itself, I don't believe this is bad at all.

I think we might be pleasantly surprised by the international figures. Miley Cyrus only did USD 5 million outside the US!

Michael beat this hands down already on the 1st day!

How much was invested to make this movie? Regardless what the tour costs or AEG loss. These rehearsals were never rehearsed for a movie. Even with huge interest in MJ we must understand that TII is more like a documentary which was patched together from semi-pro and some pro footage never meant to be released for theaters. I believe the movie is AMAZING but I won’t go and raise my expectations to a point that it will compete with “Transformers”, “Spiderman”, “The Dark Knight” and any other multi-million/billion production, or even a concert movie that was produced and made to be a concert movie. But still the demand and the need for TII to be watched are very convincing that this will be a hit in the boxoffice “WORLDWIDE” because it was proven already that Michael is also huge outside the US, and the world outside the US is much bigger. Most fans will see it, musicians will want to see it, positive reviews, curious public, the hype, the promotions, etc… But is that enough for a rehearsals movie to break all records!! I think we are going too far with our expectations. I love Michael and I want to see TII to become the biggest movie ever but I won’t be disappointed if it didn’t.

I don't get why people are so obsessed with the US Boxoffice sales. It has proven in the past or so decade that Michael had a lot more loyal fans outside of the US.

It would be good though if it beats Miley Cyrus' Concert Movie hands down, in order to avoid another debate similar to Thriller v.s. Eagles.

When I look at the statistics over here from one of the largest companies (Pathé) which has large cinemas in various cities it's not that bad at all! From the 36 showings across 3 different cinemas here in Amsterdam still to come this weekend, there are already 20 fully sold out!

Evening showings are completely sold out today except for the ones after 23:00.

Rotterdam: 21 showings spread over 2 cinemas of which 13 fully sold out already.

Taking into consideration that probably most people will still buy tickets "on the spot" in the cinema itself, I don't believe this is bad at all.

I think we might be pleasantly surprised by the international figures. Miley Cyrus only did USD 5 million outside the US!

Michael beat this hands down already on the 1st day!

Hannah Montana was presented in less than 200 theater outside the USA...

Early Weekend Estimates: Oct. 30 to Nov. 1, 2009 Weekend Total
1 Michael Jackson's This Is It $21,500,000 $32,708,532
2 Paranormal Activity $18,000,000 $86,240,045
3 Law Abiding Citizen $7,200,000 $51,281,650
4 Couples Retreat $7,000,000 $87,565,755
5 Where the Wild Things Are $6,300,000 $63,018,962
6 Saw VI $5,900,000 $23,163,955
7 Astro Boy $3,400,000 $11,255,767
8 The Stepfather $3,300,000 $24,648,009
9 Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs $3,100,000 $118,956,602
10 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant $3,000,000 $10,711,790

Hannah Montana was presented in less than 200 theater outside the USA...
Because she's huge in the US, but nothing that much outside of the US. To put in perspective: We just got Disney Channel last month on the largest cable provider here ;)

MJ is big worldwide, from US to India to China to Russia to Australia ;) But I agree there are probably 10000+ or so theaters worldwide showing TII :D

Back