To Catlovers

Merry Christmas from Duke, adopted from Jutta shelter

I think this poem is suitable for rescue cats too
A Rescue Dog’s Christmas Poem
⭐
⭐

Tis the night before Christmas and all through the town, every shelter is full – we are lost, but not found.
Our numbers are hung on our kennels so bare, we hope every minute that someone will care,
They’ll come to adopt us and give us the call, “Come here, Max and Sparkie – come fetch your new ball!!
But now we sit here and think of the days...we were treated so fondly – we had cute, baby ways.
Once we were little, then we grew and we grew now we’re no longer young and we’re no longer new.
So out the back door we were thrown like the trash, they reacted so quickly – why were they so rash?
We “jump on the children:, “don’t come when they call”, we “bark when they leave us”, climb over the wall.
We should have been neutered, we should have been spayed, now we suffer the consequence of the errors THEY made.
If only they’d trained us, if only we knew…we’d have done what they asked us and worshiped them, too.
We were left in the backyard, or worse -let to roam- now we’re tired and lonely and out of a home.
They dropped us off here and they kissed us good-bye…“Maybe someone else will give you a try.”
So now here we are, all confused and alone…in a shelter with others who long for a home.
The kind workers come through with a meal and a pat, with so many to care for, they can’t stay for a long chat.
They move to the next kennel, giving each of us cheer…we know that they wonder how long we’ll be here.
We lay down to sleep and sweet dreams fill our heads..of a home filled with love and our own cozy beds.
If you can’t adopt us and there’s no room at the Inn – could you help with the bills and fill our food bin?
We count on your kindness each day of the year – can you give more than hope to everyone here?
Please make a donation to pay for the heat and help get us something special to eat.
The shelter that cares for us wants us to live, and more of us will, if more people will give.
Author Unknown.

Community Cat Coalition

"Pregnant spays
January - when all the cats seem to come into heat...
I can’t help but feel overwhelmingly disappointed and betrayed when I hear of rescue organizations who are holding pregnant cats for delivery. People who are actively trapping and working to help decrease the community cat population are having to alter and return kittens as young as two months old - because there is nowhere for them to go. Foster space is filled up, there is simply nowhere to hold them all. I wonder if those organizations who are advertising how they are taking in pregnant cats have any idea of how disheartened the people actively trapping feel.
Do I like the concept of spaying a pregnant cat? Of course not. It’s a terrible decision to have to make. And yet when I hear of rescues who taking these pregnant cats and then detail the complications those cats had, I think “and yet you put her through that?” When I think of the Rescue money that goes into the three months of fostering for the mom and kittens, the resources used and the homes taken up by those kittens while other already born kittens are put back in the bushes, I’m afraid I lose respect for the word Rescue.
We all used to be on the same page, but with the advent of social media and the cute pictures of little babies with their mommies, attitudes changed. Sadly a lot of those attitudes changed because those cute pictures are moneymakers. I only wish those doing Rescue would understand the impact they are making in helping to turn people away from being able to accept the necessity of spaying pregnant cats. This post may make some people angry - I understand that. But if it makes you angry, I want to ask if you are actively doing TNR, if you are seeing hundreds of kittens who are altered and put back outside because there is nowhere for them to go. And I'd ask you if you are aware that 75% of kittens born outside do not live to see their first birthday. 75%. Disease, starvation, predators, parasites, accidents - if you are doing TNR, this is the reality.
The kitten pictures in this post are seven week old babies who were just trapped. They are scared, they will take time and resources to tame down and get adopted. They were already born — I will take care of them.
And remember - if you don't want to be faced with spaying pregnant cats - trap now, while they are in heat!"

Cats love boxes and is this case it might be some treats for them..

Charities across the country are affected and saddened to receive this news. Every year Shadow Cats receives approximately $5K in donations because of your purchases through this medium. That's a lot of funding to no longer have. These funds represent almost a month's veterinary care or 50 cats sterilized or six major dentals- it's an important amount of funding to lose.
However, we move on and want to thank all of you who supported Shadow Cats through your Amazon Smile purchases- you made such a difference for us- and we send the most profound thanks to you!
You can still shop Amazon Smile until Feb 20th. Thank you for all the Shadow Cats support over the years through this program.
https://www.kens5.com/.../507-065f9948-74c3-4732-b1dd...

If you think about buying something from Amazon and want to help cats from the charity you want this is the last chance.

Earthquake in Turkey
"We didn't forget our furry friends. They are part of our family. I have heard so many stories. The stories that sometimes broke my heart sometimes put a smile on my face. Rescuers don't discriminate. They are trying to save every living thing under the rubble. Every life counts."Stray Paws of Istanbul"

The shelter wasn´t destroyed during the earthquake in Turkey but their farm got some damages.
Cats are in shock.
Staff are out looking for animals who need help together with people from IFAW-International Fond for Animal Welfare.

He left the cats he looked after and fed in Istanbul and traveled 1300 km to the earthquake zone with the car full with food for cats.( I suppose it's his wife and maybe friends who take care of "their" cats in Istanbul.)He want to help the cats and he hasn't heard anything from his friend and don´t know if he's dead or alive.
I've seen the cat who was trapped in the building in another video about humans and of course I became worried about the cat.I'm so grateful for "Adorable paws" and the firefighters who helped the cat.
I can add that a group from HSIS Humane society International are in Antakya and they work with a team with local vets and water bowls have been put out.
"It’s clear that for the people here who have lost everything, to know that their pet companions are safe means a lot and it is humbling for our animal rescue work to be so welcomed by the people we’re meeting in Antakya.”HSI.

BTW one way to help animal rescues is to watch their videos on youtube, subscribe, like and comment.You can subscribe to many channels.

"Over a third of buildings have collapsed and another third severely damaged in the Turkish Hatay province. Seventeen days have passed since the tragic night that changed everything. Our partner organization Haytap is working day and night since then. Only a day after the disaster, they set up an animal hospital. Since then, they have rescued over 1,000 animals in Hatay alone, risking their lives while entering dangerously collapsed buildings.
Miracles still happen.

Over the weekend, they entered a severely damaged building because someone was suspected his two cats were inside. Cautiously they went up the half-ruined staircase, equipped with hard hats and flashlights.
A desperate meow echoed through the staircase, leading them to the wrecked apartment that the owner once called his home.

They searched everywhere, but after being trapped for almost two weeks, the traumatised cats were scared and hid in silence. Fortunately, the rescue team knew exactly what to do. They knew that there is only one person who could provide assurance to them: Their owner.
Through the loudspeaker on the phone, he called his cats.

It didn’t take long until the cats started answering his calls with hopeful meows. The team was able to retrieve them from the rubble and safely reunited them with their owner, who was moved to tears." FOUR PAWS international

The cat was rescued after being trapped for over 100 hours and refuses to leave his rescuer.He most likely was loved by his family but if none of them survived he has a new home with a firefighter.

Last edited:

VOCAL (Voice of the Cats Alliance)

"When driving out of Agios Nikolaos(Crete in Greece) on the Kritsa road on some days of the week you will see a new sign – VOCAL LIBRARY. Since the Greek tax man decided we couldn’t open our charity shop any more, our front office area was going to waste… until Janette White suggested that we could set up a community library, using donated books as a basis. And of course, Janette being the creative thinker that she is didn’t stop there. “How about we offer coffee and cake as well on a Thursday morning?” “How about we do a Christmas hamper raffle”?
She and Chris White set to it – Chris putting his great handyman skills to work to supplement the shelving and Janette recruiting librarians and cake bakers. At the moment we have about 1,000 books on offer, and plan on expanding further over Easter.
In the four months the library has been in existence more than €2,000 has been raised in donations for VOCAL through the library. We are really grateful to the White team, the librarians, the cake-bakers and the book-donators, as well as all those of you who use the library regularly and donate generously.
Should you be planning a holiday in the Agios Nikolaos area please do call in to say hello - and maybe borrow a book for the beach. We are open from 10.00 – 13.00 on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday – with Thursday being the day when the coffee and delicious cake are on offer!"

I posted it as a reminder that when one door is closed there are other doors you can open..

Back