Unsung: Debarge

ginvid

Proud Member
Yesterday on TV One, they had a show out about the Debarge family. I personally think they were very talented. We all know drugs had a major influence in their lack of continued success. What do the rest of you think? Do you like thier music? Could they have made it bigger?

oooooh, I watched this about a month or two ago.
I was FASCINATED! lol. I loaded up my ipod with DeBarge and Switch music :yes:

[youtube]wyQm3rYyNrQ[/youtube]

Last edited:
[youtube]VqaKisKIyUo[/youtube]

Last edited:
[youtube]2f3wmnhqtBg[/youtube]

I love this song!

Last edited:
yes i seen their unsung documentary the day it premaired it was very sad they had a hard life

I remember back in the day, there were always jokes--especially within the Black community--about Debarge being nothing more than light-skinned, good-haired pretty boys (and girl). But actually they were VERY talented song writers and musicians. Many people didn't know or appreciate how talented they all were. Older brothers Bobby and Tommy Debarge started the late 70's group Switch which made some great RNB. Anyone remember "I Call Your Name" and "There Will Never Be".

Alot of their songs (including one written by the sister Bunny Debarge) has been sampled by alot of hip-hop and rap artists over the years.

It's sad about the drugs and how it affected their personal and professional lives (and Bobby Debarge died)..but after seeing that Unsung documentary about how horrible their lives were growing up around a VERY abusive father, I can only sympathize.

I remember back in the day, there were always jokes--especially within the Black community--about Debarge being nothing more than light-skinned, good-haired pretty boys (and girl). But actually they were VERY talented song writers and musicians. Many people didn't know or appreciate how talented they all were. Older brothers Bobby and Tommy Debarge started the late 70's group Switch which made some great RNB. Anyone remember "I Call Your Name" and "There Will Never Be".

Alot of their songs (including one written by the sister Bunny Debarge) has been sampled by alot of hip-hop and rap artists over the years.

It's sad about the drugs and how it affected their personal and professional lives (and Bobby Debarge died)..but after seeing that Unsung documentary about how horrible their lives were growing up around a VERY abusive father, I can only sympathize.

I posted "There'll never Be" Above. Enjoy!

Watched it on youtube, twice! I think they wrote unique, beautifully melodic tunes and they never learned music in school or anything! The documentary did have such a sad tone all over it because of their tough childhood like, living with an abusive father, being teased about their half-whiteness and of course, the drug problems...I guess it's no wonder why the title has the word "unsung." You can get that melancholy vibe from some other Unsung series covering artists like, Pattie LaBelle and Phyllis Hyman.

always been a huge fan and the show was what i had already known. i've followed them for years. very talented family and alot of highs and lows.

Maybe I can see the program on YT, but yes, I love Debarge. I have a greatest hits collection of their music. I think people would be surprised to know that some of their music has been sampled. I like it, Time Will Reveal, All This Love, Rhythm of the Night are some of my favs. :)

El Debarge 'Love Always' (1986)
(written by Burt Bacharach & Carole Bayer Sager)
[youtube]gxPx6DX2FQs[/youtube]

Marty In LA

I had never heard that one. thanks for posting. How about this one that Biggie and Ashanti samples?

[youtube]CinavBPMy-I[/youtube]

He died in 95' sadly Debarge is very underrated. :)

TV One Announces New Scripted Shows And Movies Including DeBarge Biopic
Apr 14, 2016 By Tonya Pendleton
debarge-retna-660.jpg

All This Love: The Debarge Family Story

The world-famous DeBarge siblings sought to escape a life of abuse and rejection to become one of the most successful families in R&B music, second only to the Jacksons. From Switch and DeBarge to solo acts, the DeBarges enjoyed fame, wealth and gold-record status, but behind the scenes, the siblings were haunted by the ghosts of their past and deeply scarred by years of emotional and physical abuse. They inevitably fell prey to promiscuity, violence and drug addiction, sending their careers into a downward spiral from which they never fully recovered. All This Love will be the second installment of the Unsung Film Series.

If you remember the dramatic story of the DeBarge singing family from their Unsung episode, it should be no surprise that the network has decided to produce a DeBarge biopic. That’s just one of the scripted TV movies and shows that the network announced at this week’s upfront presentation, where TV networks announce their plans for the next TV season. TV One also announced that they will be running Empire episodes, which will start airing this summer after the season finale on Fox.

“We are ecstatic to partner with 20th Television and Imagine in showcasing one of the biggest hits in television history,” said Siegel. “Empire dominates the media landscape with a first-rate cast, original music content, engaging plots and celebrity guests. TV One is proud to be the exclusive cable network home for the series as it represents our brand promise to defy expectations.”

Overall, TV One is offering premieres of 26 original movies and the network’s first ever scripted drama.

“By expanding our programming genres and archetypes that represent the black community, we offer advertisers the opportunity to be seen in an environment that is both positive and unique,” said TV One president Brad Siegel. “Furthermore, with a 26-movie slate and our plan to air an original movie each week for 14 straight weeks during summer 2017, TV One provides both tent pole programming and continuity.”

“We’ve generated a sizable audience for our movies and we hope to build upon that same audience through our very first foray into a scripted drama,” said D’Angela Proctor, TV One’s SVP, Original Programming and Production. “As a general entertainment network, entering into the scripted drama space is a logical and necessary next step for TV One.”

2017 BET Awards

Roman GianArthur - Johnny B. Goode (Chuck Berry tribute)
El DeBarge & Kamasi Washington - Careless Whisper (George Michael tribute)

Back