Usher - great respect

I thought the way he sang it was beautiful. Very touching.

it was a great performance but with each artist singing Michael's songs, I just felt like I wished they'd played Michael's voice. No one, NO ONE can do his songs even 1% justice for me except Michael himself, but I understand that just playing Michael's voice with no performer may not have been appropriate. But Usher was very respectful to the Jacksons especially Katherine, so I think that was great.

I agree that Usher was absolutely moving, and sincere.
Everytime a performer's voice was affected by tears I broke...

Just wondering, I've read on other sites that touching the casket was disrespectful. I personally don't think it was... but I was wondering if there's a set protocol on that that I missed?

it was a great performance but with each artist singing Michael's songs, I just felt like I wished they'd played Michael's voice.

I kept waiting for Michael's voice to come in on Man In the Mirror :-(

I thought Usher's performance was beautiful and very moving. I'm a Usher fan and when I saw him walk down and touch his coffin and almost broke down himself, I started crying even more. Everything about MJ's memorial was appropriate and very touching.

I felt for Usher because you can tell he is so influenced by Michael and looked up to him. I am a fan of Usher as well. Usher moved me so much, because I felt he was representing me as a fan and how I feel about Michael. I loved when he touched the casket, I would've wanted too as well, to somehow feel like I'm touching him in a way. Usher was breaking down throughout the performance, stumbling on words, starting the song late and I didn't noticed anything fake.

yes..usher has had one of the most touching and sincere performances at the memorial and he sang with the soul... it was nice that, while singing, he went down the stage and approached Michael's casket, then emotionally touched it with his hand... we could see then on his face and in his artistic moment the great love he had for Mike..he didn't fake it, it was as if a man was singing and crying for his brother..this is the impression he left me while viewing him...

He's a true entertainer and fan of mj's... 100s of kudos to usher. he did justice for the song... it was really a touching performance :(

Oh, God, how could anyone see what Usher did as contrived? Paris cried too and I didn't see any tears rolling down her face. No tears doesn't mean no crying.

Usher paid beautiful respect to Michael and the touching of the casket was not staged. He was being sincere. And he is a young guy...so of course he would try to be cool and hold back tears. But in the end, he just couldn't.

You guys need to stop trying to find something negative about Usher just because you don't like him. You may not think much of him, but he sure thought the world of Michael. And the family must have known this because they invited him.

And I also liked when he went over and knelt down by Ms Katherine. He was obviously close to the family.

I'm not Usher's fan, but I saw and felt that his performance was full of respect, admiration and deep sorrow for the lost. He sang with his soul, heart out. However, it doesn't compares with the feeling Jermaine gave us with 'Smile', my ovation to him.

Wow, some of you are so quick to jump on the negativity bandwagon it truly amazes me at time. I personally thought it was an amazing performance, touching the casket added the perfect emotion to the song and when he broke down at the end, that just broke my heart.

Usher did a wonderful job with the song and you can tell how devastated he is by Michael's... passing. And yes, it was respectful and really beautiful what he did. I cried my eyes out.

Loved it. Usher brought so much emotion to this already beautiful song. It was one of the special moments of the memorial, unquestionably.

I thought Usher was genuine and he sang it with heart and soul to Michael. We really don't know just how close he was to Michael, but he sure sang it like he meant it. Brings me tears to watch it...

For those that liked watching Usher in the memorial, I've uploaded it along with the small bit that played afterwards with the Jackson 5 singing "Who's Loving You" from the Ed Sullivan show.

You can watch it online as well as download the original avi format HERE
(What you see online is converted to Flash but what you download is from the original upload)

I remember that I was working on a memorial drawing during the Memorial, and I looked up and I saw him touching the casket. I about burst into tears.

Back