Victory 40th Anniversary

Hello @BlackAnon
Since you are one of few to have heard the Victory outtake 'Buffalo Bill', is there anything more you might be able to reveal about it's composition, lyrics, melody, tempo etc?
I haven't heard Buffalo Bill.....only going by what I was told by John Barnes and a few others

It's a symphonic opening and a charming melody with more vocal sounds and the brothers singing on it. It's a dance track and was compared to R&B

I haven't heard Buffalo Bill.....only going by what I was told by John Barnes and a few others

It's a symphonic opening and a charming melody with more vocal sounds and the brothers singing on it. It's a dance track and was compared to R&B
It sounds cool by the way you describe the song

Alright Now might've been considered for Victory as well since it was written and recorded in 1983. Michael and John [Barnes] were creating magic during this time. The chorus reminds me of One More Chance from Victory

Last edited:
Is Born To Love a Victory outtake?
This was registered in May 1982 and was more than likely for a Jackie project since Michael was in the middle of recording Thriller but it's possible they were already in the talks of doing the Victory album since it was supposed to be released that next year but Michael was also scheduled to release another album in 1983

Type of Work:​
Music
Registration Number / Date:​
PAu000402944 / 1982-05-14
Title:​
Born to love / J. Jackson, D. Daniels, K. Wakefield.
Description:​
1 sound cassette.
Copyright Claimant:​
Siggy Music, Nealjon Music Company & Eliza M. Music
Date of Creation:​
Authorship on Application:​
words & music: Jackie Jackson, Don Daniels & Kathy Wakefield.

Last edited:
This was registered in May 1982 and was more than likely for a Jackie project since Michael was in the middle of recording Thriller but it's possible they were already in the talks of doing the Victory album since it was supposed to be released that next year but Michael was also scheduled to release another album in 1983

Type of Work:​
Music
Registration Number / Date:​
PAu000402944 / 1982-05-14
Title:​
Born to love / J. Jackson, D. Daniels, K. Wakefield.
Description:​
1 sound cassette.
Copyright Claimant:​
Siggy Music, Nealjon Music Company & Eliza M. Music
Date of Creation:​
Authorship on Application:​
words & music: Jackie Jackson, Don Daniels & Kathy Wakefield.
I wonder if this song will be released one day

Where do I stand and Playin with fire with Michael singing the lead would have been terrific on Victory. The album could have turned out a lot better than it was.
Be Not Always could've been omitted and replaced with Dream Away
Body could've been omitted and replaced with Power, which would've been a good album opener
Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming should've been on there too

Be Not Always could've been omitted and replaced with Dream Away
Body could've been omitted and replaced with Power, which would've been a good album opener
Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming should've been on there too
I can’t remember the exact track list of victory, but if it was up to me this is what I should have done,

Remove Body, One More chance, Be not Always and some others that I can’t recall at the moment

I would include Behind The Mask (why not? This would be the perfect vehicle for this song instead of giving it away to Greg), Playing With Fire sung by Michael, Where Do I Stand sung by Michael and also replace Jackie with Michael on Wait.

I can’t remember the exact track list of victory, but if it was up to me this is what I should have done,

Remove Body, One More chance, Be not Always and some others that I can’t recall at the moment

I would include Behind The Mask (why not? This would be the perfect vehicle for this song instead of giving it away to Greg), Playing With Fire sung by Michael, Where Do I Stand sung by Michael and also replace Jackie with Michael on Wait.
so much potential. I hope we get to hear the outtakes and demos from the session one day

Victory is the biggest selling album of the J5/Jacksons.

The Jackson 5​

1969 Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5 – 1,600,000
1970 ABC – 2,075,000
1970 Third Album – 1,900,000
1970 Jackson 5 Christmas Album – 3,075,000
1971 Maybe Tomorrow – 975,000
1972 Lookin’ Through the Windows – 1,150,000
1973 Skywriter – 325,000
1973 G.I.T.: Get It Together – 350,000
1974 Dancing Machine – 850,000
1975 Moving Violation – 300,000

The Jacksons​

1976 The Jacksons – 1,800,000
1977 Goin’ Places – 675,000
1978 Destiny – 3,150,000
1980 Triumph – 3,075,000
1984 Victory – 4,475,000

The Jacksons (without Michael Jackson)​

1989 2300 Jackson Street – 625,000

michael jackson and bruce springsteen interviewed each other backstage at the ‘victory’ tour. again, michael mentioned doing a movie with steven spielberg. this is also the same month that he would tell ‘jet’ magazine that wouldn’t be playing Peter Pan, out of fear of typecasting.

Back