Victory Tour footage from Thriller 40 documentary

Themidwestcowboy

Proud Member
I wanted to talk about the victory tour footage on the Thriller 40 documentary. I was going to just post this in the thriller 40 thread but thought it be better that it has its own thread. Now I have very mixed emotions when it comes to the footage. First let me list the pros and then the cons and then a brief summary of my thoughts

Pros

Quality: The quality was unbelievable. After seeing all those LQ concerts for years it felt so good to see professionally filmed footage in pristine quality.

Michael: Every time I see something from the victory tour it just reinforces my belief that Michael was vocally at the height of his powers. It’s just so great that we have HD footage of Michael both singing and dancing and this is really what the world needs to see. He was hitting every note and singing them just like he did on record without any noticeable sacrifice in technique or vocal arrangement but still he also experimented, keeping it somewhat fresh and exciting

Cons

Victory tour: After seeing film footage of this tour it just solidifies my opinion about this tour. First of all the camera angels are horrible. They are either too close that you can’t really see him moving properly, with his whole body, or too far away that just looks a bit awkward in my opinion. I think these angles worked for the previous tours but as MJ progressed as a dancer they became more obsolete. For some reason the stage looks really small on some camera angles and really big on some others. MJ and crew really fixed this for his subsequent tours. I don’t think I’ll ever get into the sound of the band for this tour.

The brothers: Man. I hate to say this because I love the Jackson 5/Jackson’s but their bg vocals were not good. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s because Jackie was missing but they just took me out of the experience especially during WBSS for some reason. With all the brothers on stage it just seemed over crowded as well.

All in all, great to see this footage in this quality and I wouldn’t turn down a home release for this one, even without multitracked audio, but it is not on the top of my list. The saving grace for this tour is definitely MJ’s performance.

I wanted to talk about the victory tour footage on the Thriller 40 documentary. I was going to just post this in the thriller 40 thread but thought it be better that it has its own thread. Now I have very mixed emotions when it comes to the footage. First let me list the pros and then the cons and then a brief summary of my thoughts

Pros

Quality: The quality was unbelievable. After seeing all those LQ concerts for years it felt so good to see professionally filmed footage in pristine quality.

Michael: Every time I see something from the victory tour it just reinforces my belief that Michael was vocally at the height of his powers. It’s just so great that we have HD footage of Michael both singing and dancing and this is really what the world needs to see. He was hitting every note and singing them just like he did on record without any noticeable sacrifice in technique or vocal arrangement but still he also experimented, keeping it somewhat fresh and exciting

Cons

Victory tour: After seeing film footage of this tour it just solidifies my opinion about this tour. First of all the camera angels are horrible. They are either too close that you can’t really see him moving properly, with his whole body, or too far away that just looks a bit awkward in my opinion. I think these angles worked for the previous tours but as MJ progressed as a dancer they became more obsolete. For some reason the stage looks really small on some camera angles and really big on some others. MJ and crew really fixed this for his subsequent tours. I don’t think I’ll ever get into the sound of the band for this tour.

The brothers: Man. I hate to say this because I love the Jackson 5/Jackson’s but their bg vocals were not good. I don’t know what it is. Maybe it’s because Jackie was missing but they just took me out of the experience especially during WBSS for some reason. With all the brothers on stage it just seemed over crowded as well.

All in all, great to see this footage in this quality and I wouldn’t turn down a home release for this one, even without multitracked audio, but it is not on the top of my list. The saving grace for this tour is definitely MJ’s performance.
I think I'll add to the cons the overall audio mix and sounds. Jesus, everything sounds ultra dated, corny ass synths and all.

LOVE the stage clothes that they had, MJ with his iconic glove during WBSS is just epic, the stairs they will walk down on coming into view, slowly the stage is coming together as they stand at the top of the stairs pulsating lights behind them give otherwordly vibes. The power MJ projected on stage you could see the fire in his eyes as he gave the clear to start the concert with a powerful arm movement,
you could feel the electricity in the air as that crowd starts screaming knowing they are about to have the best concert of their lifetime. MJ at the peak of his fame giving his all on the stage.

You can not tell me that this concert footage should be hidden from the world, wasting away in the vault! How can you not want to see this concert in pristine quality like it deserves?! It boggles my mind how anyone would not want to see this concert.

I still wanna see it in full
For sure. I wouldn’t turn a Victory Tour release down.

I think I'll add to the cons the overall audio mix and sounds. Jesus, everything sounds ultra dated, corny ass synths and all.
Man, it sounds so dated and not in a good way. It’s something about the overall mix that sounds really unbalanced. I believe that with a good audio mix it would probably sound a tad bit better but that’s not saying much. It sounds too cheesy and corny for my taste as well

Man, it sounds so dated and not in a good way. It’s something about the overall mix that sounds really unbalanced. I believe that with a good audio mix it would probably sound a tad bit better but that’s not saying much. It sounds too cheesy and corny for my taste as well
It's still mind boggling to me how Triumph sounds so damn fresh with the live instruments and the horn section and for Victory they got the cheapest sounding presets ever.

It's still mind boggling to me how Triumph sounds so damn fresh with the live instruments and the horn section and for Victory they got the cheapest sounding presets ever.
Yeah the audio sounds low quality due to the fact that it’s prob the audio from the reels, but how have they not multitracked this show?

They can release it but here's 2 questions

1. Will it make a profit? Die hard fans will eat this up but the casual fan might not be interested

2. Will the brothers get an equal share? We know Randy isn't on the best terms with The Estate and possibly his brothers and might not be on board

2. Will the brothers get an equal share? We know Randy isn't on the best terms with The Estate and possibly his brothers and might not be on board
There are a number of (reasonable) factors previously discussed which may cause Branca to want the bigger cut: the Estate owns all the footage themselves since it was MJ himself who hired Nocturne and Patrick Kelly, 8 out of 14 tracks (counting medleys as one track) on the setlist are solo songs and it would be a project released under Michael's name for obvious reasons.

It should be something like a 75/25 share in favor of MJ. I'm sure they'll never agree to a number though, which is unfortunate for us.

It should be something like a 75/25 share in favor of MJ. I'm sure they'll never agree to a number though, which is unfortunate for us.
The way I see it, more like 80/20 at best, if Branca is being generous.

I NEED THIS IN FULL! The quality was stunning, you’ve got Michael at the beginning of his superstardom and the height of his success in the music industry. He had so much energy and you could see the excitement in his eyes.. this needs to be released in full! I couldn’t give a rats ass about the audio, I’ll deal! Just give me the footage!!

If they really wanted a loophole that doesn't mean a legal battle with the brothers, they could release a live album and corresponding video on YouTube titled like "Michael Jackson: Live 1984" or something with just footage of just MJ's songs from the victory tour. Easy way to not have to pay the brothers royalties or get into a dispute over it all - an easy way out, which seems like the estate's motto as of late.

If they really wanted a loophole that doesn't mean a legal battle with the brothers, they could release a live album and corresponding video on YouTube titled like "Michael Jackson: Live 1984" or something with just footage of just MJ's songs from the victory tour. Easy way to not have to pay the brothers royalties or get into a dispute over it all - an easy way out, which seems like the estate's motto as of late.
That would be impossible as the brothers play instruments and provide back up vocals

The story goes the brothers said it would be a good idea to film the shows and Michael declined only for him to come back with his own film crew....in 1985 they wanted to release the laserdisc but was blocked by Michael. Could've been due to Michael being over exposed from Thriller and beginning work on Bad

I still hope a multitrack recording of a victory show exists.. i really hope if mixed properly it turns out the instruments doesn't sound as bad as it sounds on the footage we know already...

I still hope a multitrack recording of a victory show exists.. i really hope if mixed properly it turns out the instruments doesn't sound as bad as it sounds on the footage we know already...
Nah that band was fckedup! It sounded horrible. I believe the rumor where mj says he didn't perform thriller because it didn't sound right. Imo it didn't sound right until the Dangerous tour

go for it
It's up

Last edited:
You would have wanted to be startin somethin and show Billie Jean in its entirety, the documentary would have been good, but no

Much like the Triumph tour, the Estate probably feels like it's too time consuming to edit the material

Back