Victory Tour footage from Thriller 40 documentary

They could make it happen if they wanted to. It would be very easy.

You would lose all the feel of the real concert, even though it might sound cheap, this is the sound of the victory tour. If you redub the instruments then it's not the victory tour anymore, it's just a remake of thriller with new MJ vocals on it, just like the Michael album.

Yep! True. But a proper mix could really make a difference. I think in this case it would be good to simply mix the bad synth very low in the mix. Just make the main instruments (bass, drums, guitar, piano, vocals) the main thing. It also wouldn’t do any harm to trigger the drums and slightly add kick and snare samples to make the sound a little bigger. There is many ways to make this sound better and less cheap. But looking at the Wembley 88 mix we can already be sure the estate gonna fuck up if they do it. I actually liked the sound of that MTV Jams Billie Jean performance.

Yep! True. But a proper mix could really make a difference. I think in this case it would be good to simply mix the bad synth very low in the mix. Just make the main instruments (bass, drums, guitar, piano, vocals) the main thing. It also wouldn’t do any harm to trigger the drums and slightly add kick and snare samples to make the sound a little bigger. There is many ways to make this sound better and less cheap. But looking at the Wembley 88 mix we can already be sure the estate gonna fuck up if they do it. I actually liked the sound of that MTV Jams Billie Jean performance.
Mtv jams version makes me wonder....they probably had great audio for a video release but it's probably lost or damaged by now

Mtv jams version makes me wonder....they probably had great audio for a video release but it's probably lost or damaged by now
It looks like they used a YT rip lol. Would of been nice if they remastered it. At least we have the no logo version.

When they started talking about kansas city, I almost thought they would give us HQ footage from that show. Cant complain about using HD footage instead. That shot of MJs glove was from Toronto though lol.

Yeah, I have no issues with them re-doing the mix based on the multi tracks, it would be nice to make sure it sounds as great as possible on a Home TV/5.1 setup, but the thing that would rub me the wrong way is if they over dubbed the instruments. A couple kick & snare triggers would be okay-ish but if they were to go further than this it would be a bit too much for my taste.

I wonder if the brothers actively performing rn takes anything away from this happening also.

The Estate can collaborate with Sony to remaster the Victory album with demos/outtakes and provide a clean and clear tour dvd to go with it along with an expanded booklet of photos. Michael filmed more than enough footage to give a full show even if it means compiling multiple dates and using audio from a main show soundboard. All they have to do is sit down with his brothers and discuss a rate that works for everyone and if the cards are played right, I'm sure they will have no problem jumping on board but it has to be done fairly.

Something I have been wondering since forever: is there a reason why Michael was given the wireless mic to sing only for the last few songs? It doesn’t really make any sense for him to have the other one for the earlier numbers. It only made it harder for him to move.

Something I have been wondering since forever: is there a reason why Michael was given the wireless mic to sing only for the last few songs? It doesn’t really make any sense for him to have the other one for the earlier numbers. It only made it harder for him to move.
Could have been a battery capacity issue at that point in time. Wireless mikes didn’t become common in performances until later on perhaps? I’ve wondered the same thing why in the same show (same location / date) they switch from wire to wireless

Could have been a battery capacity issue at that point in time. Wireless mikes didn’t become common in performances until later on perhaps? I’ve wondered the same thing why in the same show (same location / date) they switch from wire to wireless
But I remember it being used by Marlon throughout the show, so it seems like battery capacity wasn’t the issue.

The Estate can collaborate with Sony to remaster the Victory album with demos/outtakes and provide a clean and clear tour dvd to go with it along with an expanded booklet of photos. Michael filmed more than enough footage to give a full show even if it means compiling multiple dates and using audio from a main show soundboard. All they have to do is sit down with his brothers and discuss a rate that works for everyone and if the cards are played right, I'm sure they will have no problem jumping on board but it has to be done fairly.
Well, Victory was re-released recently along with the whole Jacksons catalogue by Legacy (Sony "oldies" division). No way in hell they will put any effort in (another) Jacksons reissue.

Nobody is going to turn down free money.
André 3000 has turned down several offers to do OutKast reunion tours worth millions of dollars. One of them for the current Hip Hop 50 tour organized by LL Cool J & The Roots. André mostly just wants to play his flute, not really rap that much. The remaining members of Led Zeppelin have also turned down tour requests. Peter Gabriel has always declined to rejoin Genesis and tour with them. One time they almost got him to accept for the 2007 tour. The 5 members of the 1970s "classic lineup" had a meeting for it, but Peter ultimately decided not to do it. Since Peter declined, then Steve Hackett did too. Since I guess without Peter, they would have mostly did the 1980s material that he (Steve) was not on.

It also wouldn’t do any harm to trigger the drums and slightly add kick and snare samples to make the sound a little bigger.
I definitely wouldn't want that. There's no point in waiting 40 years and then releasing a fake live album. The point of releasing different tours is to appreciate different drummers, different equipment, etc.

, it would be nice to make sure it sounds as great as possible on a Home TV/5.1 setup, but the thing that would rub me the wrong way is if they over dubbed the instruments.
Let's request Dolby Atmos, then accept 5.1 as a bare minimum.

I wonder if the brothers actively performing rn takes anything away from this happening also.
I dunno. They've had 3 live albums, why not one more? It would certainly sell more copies than their latest tour.

The Estate can collaborate with Sony to remaster the Victory album with demos/outtakes and provide a clean and clear tour dvd to go with it
Wouldn't be a great idea, but one would definitely cross-promote the other.

even if it means compiling multiple dates and using audio from a main show soundboard. All they have to do is sit down with his brothers and discuss a rate that works for everyone and if the cards are played right, I'm sure they will have no problem jumping on board but it has to be done fairly.
Other bands would have done this by now.

André 3000 has turned down several offers to do OutKast reunion tours worth millions of dollars. One of them for the current Hip Hop 50 tour organized by LL Cool J & The Roots. André mostly just wants to play his flute, not really rap that much. The remaining members of Led Zeppelin have also turned down tour requests.
I don't know who André 3000 is, but Zep is Zep. That's a totally different league to Marlon Jackson.

I don't know who André 3000 is, but Zep is Zep. That's a totally different league to Marlon Jackson.
André 3000 is a member of one of the most popular hip hop groups in history OutKast. OutKast is bigger The Jacksons in the USA. OutKast even has a movie Idlewild, like Prince has Purple Rain. André had his own cartoon show too called Class Of 3000. The other member of OutKast (Big Boi) discovered Janelle Monáe, a popular singer & actress.

Am I right in saying that only the Victory tour and Bad tour were the only tours shot on film?

I’m guessing only History was shot with 4k video cameras? What about Dangerous tour.

Nothing beats the quality of film though. Wonder why they stopped using film after the Bad tour? Even the 30th Anniversary should have been shot on film.

André 3000 is a member of one of the most popular hip hop groups in history OutKast.
Ah, well there you go then. It would appear that André 3000 can do whatever he wants. Because he's André 3000.

In contrast, Marlon Jackson can't do whatever he wants. Because he's Marlon Jackson.

Am I right in saying that only the Victory tour and Bad tour were the only tours shot on film?
Not at all. At least one Destiny show was shot on film.

I’m guessing only History was shot with 4k video cameras? What about Dangerous tour.
There was no such thing as 4K is 1997, for crying out loud. Even high definition itself was still somewhat experimental, a concept.
It was only Munich which was filmed using Sony digital high-definition cameras, which were still brand new and not commercially available iirc.
And Tokyo 1992 had at least one camera rolling.

Nothing beats the quality of film though. Wonder why they stopped using film after the Bad tour? Even the 30th Anniversary should have been shot on film.
Too expensive and digital media got introduced years later. To be fair with you, a 4K digital camera these days beats the quality of 16mm and 35mm, there's no discussion I guess, but the choice of visuals is up to whatever each person likes the most.

Ah, well there you go then. It would appear that André 3000 can do whatever he wants. Because he's André 3000.

In contrast, Marlon Jackson can't do whatever he wants. Because he's Marlon Jackson.
Marlon owns a Christian TV network called MBC. Or he did years ago, I don't know if he still has it.

They could even get Johnathan Moffett to do some stuff

Back