Victory Tour footage from Thriller 40 documentary

Nah that band was fckedup! It sounded horrible. I believe the rumor where mj says he didn't perform thriller because it didn't sound right. Imo it didn't sound right until the Dangerous tour
There were multiple reasons MJ did not want to perform Thriller at that time.

How would compiling modern instruments be awful?
You would lose all the feel of the real concert, even though it might sound cheap, this is the sound of the victory tour. If you redub the instruments then it's not the victory tour anymore, it's just a remake of thriller with new MJ vocals on it, just like the Michael album.

You would lose all the feel of the real concert, even though it might sound cheap, this is the sound of the victory tour. If you redub the instruments then it's not the victory tour anymore, it's just a remake of thriller with new MJ vocals on it, just like the Michael album.
Well that's understandable then, why it's unappealing to purists.

"Awful" is just the wrong word to use what's understandably an improvement though.

Inauthentic is more accurate and I obviously agree. But it might help with presentation.

As someone who doesn't mind the Victory Tours sound anyway though,I think it's underrated and not really that distracting.

I agree with this. I don’t want them to redub it. This is the victory tour, for better or worse. With a multitrack mix I believe it could be a tad bit better but the cheap sounding synths are still gonna be there.

I wouldn’t mind a best of Victory Tour. You know a compilation from different shows

Funny part is that Triumph is ready to go, all it takes is digitizing the Forum Umatic masters.
Is Triumph facing the same hurdles as Victory as far as the brothers go? The only potential problem for triumph would be Randy right?

Well that's understandable then, why it's unappealing to purists.

"Awful" is just the wrong word to use what's understandably an improvement though.

Inauthentic is more accurate and I obviously agree. But it might help with presentation.

As someone who doesn't mind the Victory Tours sound anyway though,I think it's underrated and not really that distracting.
To be quite honest they have done similar things for many of Michael’s officially released live projects. They did this with The Jackson’s Live album, they did a lot of re-dub on Bucharest and they did some overdubs on Wembley as well.

To be quite honest they have done similar things for many of Michael’s officially released live projects. They did this with The Jackson’s Live album, they did a lot of re-dub on Bucharest and they did some overdubs on Wembley as well.
I’m fairly certain there was no overdubbing done on Bucharest. On Wembley very little, as far as I’m aware. Jacksons Live is a different story, but that’s a live album, and the overdubs were done in 1981, not 40 years after the fact.

Is Triumph facing the same hurdles as Victory as far as the brothers go? The only potential problem for triumph would be Randy right?
Exact same hurdles, yes.

Bucharest audio is untouched (well, they only added more crowd noise, but that's about it). Only the video has been (heavily) edited, as we all know.

If they do release it they certainly will do more editing and altering regardless. Maybe not as blatant as rerecording the band though.

Exact same hurdles, yes.

Bucharest audio is untouched (well, they only added more crowd noise, but that's about it). Only the video has been (heavily) edited, as we all know.
I haven’t watched Bucharest in a long time but I remember there being differences in the audio mix when comparing the BBC version to the 2004 release and not just only the instrumentation but also the vocals in some parts

Don't quote me on that, but I've seen some nerds say all the footage in the doc consists of like 4 different LA nights.
Would be nice if anybody could compare them to the snippets from reports of all the nights we have available.
If true then that’s crazy. Having access to that many shows in that quality and not doing anything with it is down right criminal.

Since they only showed the walking down the steps part I continued with the taking-off-shades-move by putting these photos in order and within a 4:3- and 16:9-frame (photos are usually shot at a 3:2 aspect ratio).
One can only hope.

VT84-Entrance4-3-1.jpg

VT84-Entrance4-3-2.jpg

VT84-Entrance4-3-3.jpg

VT84-Entrance16-9-1.jpg

VT84-Entrance16-9-2.jpg

VT84-Entrance16-9-3.jpg

Don't quote me on that, but I've seen some nerds say all the footage in the doc consists of like 4 different LA nights.
Would be nice if anybody could compare them to the snippets from reports of all the nights we have available.
Might be. For sure at least 2 different shows since in one Billie Jean snippet he is wearing the white shirt and in another the blue one.

It would be interesting if they did the same thing as the beatles. They used AI to create multitrack audio.

The only roadblock I see for release is legal. I doubt the estate want to pay the brothers/third parties.

Triumph is already releasable since Quest Love apparently has a concert in his collection.

In 2017, The Jacksons FB page asked fans if they wanted a victory tour release.

I'm open to a new campaign though.

It would be interesting if they did the same thing as the beatles. They used AI to create multitrack audio.
Kinda wrong here. The Beatles thing was done using multitracks (as they were in the 60s when 4-track machines were the standard).
Isolating elements of a track containing bass, guitar(s) and drums only is totally different than creating stems from a mixdown of 20+ elements.

If they were to release it, would it just be Michael’s songs or the whole concert?

Yep. Randy has been distant from his brothers and Estate for a while now. The only person that could possibly get him to agree on anything would be Janet

Kinda wrong here. The Beatles thing was done using multitracks (as they were in the 60s when 4-track machines were the standard).
Isolating elements of a track containing bass, guitar(s) and drums only is totally different than creating stems from a mixdown of 20+ elements.
I think if Peter Jackson wanted it done it would probably happen. I don't see that stuff getting used beyond Beatles recordings, though.

The footage was one of the highlights of the documentary for me, I'd like to see a release for those who want it. Seeing the opening of the show was really cool

If I'm honest I'd rather see an early Bad Tour show, like one of the Tokyo shows, released rather Victory but maybe that's just me.

Great thread as always brother @Themidwestcowboy

The footage was one of the highlights of the documentary for me, I'd like to see a release for those who want it. Seeing the opening of the show was really cool

If I'm honest I'd rather see an early Bad Tour show, like one of the Tokyo shows, released rather Victory but maybe that's just me.

Great thread as always brother @Themidwestcowboy
His voice in the Tokyo shows were top notch , then suddenly by 1988 his voice was strained and hard to make out at times and missed out on a lot of lyrics. For example Heartbreak Hotel chorus he barely sung, a lot he left to the backing singers. It was like day and night. However I would prefer a Victory Tour as it has an amazing setlist and MJ vocally was probably at his peak. I never been a big carer for the dancing , yes at times but not the replacement of dancing over singing as especially happened in History and to a degree Dangerous . Also I felt during the 88 BAD tour leg he should have slowed some of the songs down a notch which may have helped understand what he was singing as sometimes the songs felt rushed and as i say half sung.

It will remain a dream, a victory concert in full HD, nothing will happen as long as the estate line-up is there

I've decided. Next year is 2024, an anniversary of this tour. That's long enough wait. So I will buy a recording of this tour by the end of the year. It's up to Sony whether it will be a DVD from Sony or one of the many other companies that have released one.

I wouldn’t mind a best of Victory Tour. You know a compilation from different shows
I wouldn't mind this. I have similar from Pearl Jam, Franz Ferdinand, Rosette, Nirvana...

That way we get to have Eddie Van Halen.

The only potential problem for triumph would be Randy right?
Nobody is going to turn down free money.

The only roadblock I see for release is legal. I doubt the estate want to pay the brothers/third parties.
None of this is a problem. Negotiating these things is literally what lawyers get paid for.

The only thing that matters is whether they think they can make money from it.

Nobody is going to turn down free money.
None of this is a problem. Negotiating these things is literally what lawyers get paid for.
The only thing that matters is whether they think they can make money from it.
Well, you don't seem to get the full picture. The brothers won't ever agree with letting the Estate have the biggest cut and the Estate won't ever make it 50/50.

Back