[Video] Another Part of Me performance from Wembley DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
@mjmax
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/t...our-Wembley-Trailer!-Discussion-merged/page16

dl the tv trailer from here. It has strange resolution 720x608. the screen comparisations rsggamer made are pretty convincing to that all samples we've seen don't show the actual quality colorwise. and the compression is to low.
the trailer shared in the other thread has very high bitrate (15mbps) and the official videos look very true to the original quality. so i think that mpg is the file used for the web-streams.

so don't compare the apom videos from today with anything at all.

Even though I would LOVE to be wrong, I doubt they ever filmed single complete show on film.

APOM and MITM were obviously shot with the sole intention for use as a music video and as a segment in the Moonwalker film.
They weren't shot the way a concert would necessarily be shot. Barely any wide shots of the whole band, and things like that (though, they were both fast paced, I'm sure they had a single steady shot on wide, and medium, close, etc etc).

And alot of the crowd shots were filmed throughout the concert (some shot earlier in the show when sun was still out for MITM).

Again, I'd love to be wrong, but based on simply the MITM and APOM stuff, that doesn't necessarily mean a full show is out there.

Maybe bits and pieces here and there.

I'm just baffled that MJ (or whoever) commissioned a first leg show in Japan to have the full taping treatment with more cameras and what-not, but not do the same on the 2nd leg.

WTF, why can't they make it look like Moonwalker MITM quality? And about Queen...damn, that's impressive. Imagine the Bad tour in HD...jeeeeesus how awesome would that be. Why wasn't this possible for this ?

You can't make a VHS look like Blu Ray quality. It just isn't possible. This VHS is the only one they were able to locate of this concert. And i for one am happy as hell that we are getting it. We could of gotten no concert at all.

Oh, and SOMEWHERE, someone has the film reels from all the cameras used for the APOM and MITM performances. There were at least 2 shows filmed (maybe even more). Let's say they had 3 or 5 film cameras. They could have filmed MITM over 2+ nights and got a lot of coverage from the different spots to film from. Off hand I wanna say there's at least 10 different points of filming for MITM alone, including a cam for crowds).

WTF, why can't they make it look like Moonwalker MITM quality? And about Queen...damn, that's impressive. Imagine the Bad tour in HD...jeeeeesus how awesome would that be. Why wasn't this possible for this ?

Lol, you can't turn a VHS into HD content. The reason Moonwalker can because it was shot on FILM (not a tape), and therefore they can make a high res transfer of the original film reels

Someone says the quality is good for a concert of 25 years old.
But I don't know if anyone is aware of the concert from Queen that will be released in cinema at the end of this month.
The quality is in real HD shot in 35mm and the concert is from 86! they did it already a few years ago with Montreal.

ok now let me see the trailer for Wembley :)

Anyway I'm pretty sure MJ shot some bad tour in 35mm to be used for Moonwalker....

I guess Freddie didn't watched his vhs, that Budapest concert is sourced from, over and over again, like Michael did.

@Hunter
that article by Warren Eagles stated that two shows are fully filmed on 16mm and 32mm. (search here for it)
he very detailed discribed what was done. edited to one show and also a documentary. Just the bitter part was, it was transfered on umatic tape. so the film reels are still somewhere (hoppefuly). and no one knows where that umatic tape is.
I don't think he was just telling about his wet dream.

Last edited:
Lol, you can't turn a VHS into HD content. The reason Moonwalker can because it was shot on FILM (not a tape), and therefore they can make a high res transfer of the original film reels

But that Queen concert someone here spoke about, was that VHS as well then?

When I say tape, i don't mean VHS. I mean the kind of tapes they used to film the jumbo-tron footage from.
Those were kept more so for promo and prosperity, rather than release as a full show.

I don't know anything about the Queen stuff, but that trailer linked above looks awesome. Wish MJ commissioned a whole show to be shot on film (and allegedly he did.....)

No worrys :) And i just assumed to be honest, surely the quality wouldn't be any worse then the original trailer would it?
I think you assume wrong.. and I will give you 2 reasons:

- The Amazon clip looks more enhanced than the TV Trailer. Why would they enhance a second time the video to put it on internet? It doesn't make sens..

- The work made on Trailer is very amateurish.. The fields were messed up during NTSC->PAL conversion. It was deinterlaced in blend mode, then resized and then reinterlaced.. as a result, there are ghost effect and motion blur on each field. If I see such mistake on the DVD, it's just a shame.. because it'll prove the video got in the hands of very unprofessional persons..

So.. to simplify I had less details and lower quality on the Trailer because of this field issue.. but I decide to still start from the Trailer for my comparison in order to show the cartonish effect caused by overuse of contrast & sharpening. I don't know why the Trailer is less enhanced.. maybe they thought it needed more contrast and sharpness... what a fail!

And please, stop claiming about the compression issue.. this is really not the problem here. To give you an idea, I uploaded the Los Angeles footage in almost the same bitrate than the Amazon clip.. and it's better than DVD's compression. With a lower bitrate, x264 gives better image quality than MPEG2 for DVD.

Last edited:
this concert was released in VHS back in the days but for the blu ray they transfert staright from the master which is the 35mm reels...

Also guy look at this video at 1min25 this is not MITM and not APOM look like the Medley. So it prove that the whole concert was recorded in 35mm film!!

You are correct, I managed to pause on 1:25 and the backing dancers are defiantly beside Mike + Mike has got his Iconic Silver BAD outfit on. Does anybody know why Man In The Mirror was the 'only' part of Bad Tour to be filmed in 35mm!? More to the point, considering the Medley features briefly in this for a mini-second, why the rest of the concert has not been used? odd.

Not necessarily (like i said, I'd LOVE to be wrong).

There could have been a person dedicated to getting crowd shots. Whether from the front of the stage, or deep within the crowd somewhere (like that part you just pointed out. Nice catch! I never noticed :D )

^^ i dont understand the back and forth '' a whole concert was filmed in film, a whole concert wasen't filmed in film ''.
One of the guy's that worked on it confirmed that, two concerts were filmed in its entirety in film
(16mm and 35mm if i remember correctly). Stop beating a dead horse ppl.

tumblr_m8pdajqQxg1qbw224.gif

I think you assume wrong.. and I will give you 2 reasons:

- The Amazon clip looks more enhanced than the TV Trailer. Why would they enhance a second time the video to put it on internet? It doesn't make sens..

- The work made on Trailer is very amateurish.. The fields were messed up during NTSC->PAL conversion. It was deinterlaced in blend mode, then resized and then reinterlaced.. as a result, there are ghost effect and motion blur on each field. If I see such mistake on the DVD, it's just a shame.. because it'll prove the video got in the hands of very unprofessional persons..

So.. to simplify I had less details and lower quality on the Trailer because of this field issue.. but I decide to still start from the Trailer for my comparison in order to show the cartonish effect caused by overuse of contrast & sharpening. I don't know why the Trailer is less enhanced.. maybe they thought it needed more contrast and sharpness... what a fail!

And please, stop claiming about the compression issue.. this is really not the problem here. To give you an idea, I uploaded the Los Angeles footage in almost the same bitrate than the Amazon clip.. and it's better than DVD's compression. With a lower bitrate, x264 gives better image quality than MPEG2 for DVD.

First of all, have you downloaded the original trailer? Because to me it sure as hell looks better quality then the amazon footage. And second, i haven't complained once about the quality. I am more then happy with what we are getting, as i have stated numerous times.

First of all, have you downloaded the original trailer? Because to me it sure as hell looks better quality then the amazon footage. And second, i haven't complained once about the quality. I am more then happy with what we are getting, as i have stated numerous times.
yes sure, I have the 72Mb file. 'better quality' is not accurate.. The trailer is less enhanced, but has this field's problem. My assumption is that the Amazon clip is closer to the DVD quality.

yes sure, I have the 72Mb file. 'better quality' is not accurate.. The trailer is less enhanced, but has this field's problem. My assumption is that the Amazon clip is closer to the DVD quality.

Okay well the trailer looks better quality to me anyways, but maybe you're right. Maybe the amazon clip is pretty much the final quality. Guess my eyes are playing tricks on me when i look at this comparison pic, i dunno.

2mhzst3.jpg

Last edited:
Okay well the trailer looks better quality to me anyways, but maybe you're right. Maybe the amazon clip is pretty much the final quality, i dunno.
I just tell from facts: there are obviously several mistakes in the way the clips were processed.

You might be satisfied with the quality, but if I had the VHS source, I would probably be able to make you think different.. ;)

Queen's trailer made me feel soo jealous. Why can't we get the same??? :(

EDIT: I mean, don't get me wrong! Im very happy about all this and what we are getting...but it's just NOT FAIR that there are no material available for an HD release of a BAD TOUR!

I'd love true HD 35mm film like Moonwalker as much as anyone, but if they can't find it, not much can be done. Just hope it turns up at some point. I'm sure they'll release it if it does. In the meantime, I'd like another umatic tape concert, plus Yokohama.

Someone says the quality is good for a concert of 25 years old.
But I don't know if anyone is aware of the concert from Queen that will be released in cinema at the end of this month.
The quality is in real HD shot in 35mm and the concert is from 86! they did it already a few years ago with Montreal.

ok now let me see the trailer for Wembley :)

Anyway I'm pretty sure MJ shot some bad tour in 35mm to be used for Moonwalker....

Wow that Queen concert looks amazing! Def getting that one too!

SONY promised me that they will give me the original video of Another Part of Me next Monday

Then I will share with you.

Stay tuned.

Queen's trailer made me feel soo jealous. Why can't we get the same??? :(

EDIT: I mean, don't get me wrong! Im very happy about all this and what we are getting...but it's just NOT FAIR that there are no material available for an HD release of a BAD TOUR!

I know exactly what you mean....We're only human ;)

I was the one who asked Warren Eagle the questions on Twitter and yes he did confirm that at least two shows were onffilm. I wish we can go into every single locker storage or wherever MJ kept his stuff and look for the film reels.

Needless to say that Michael's performance is amazing.. :)
The bad point here is really the enhancement: contrast and sharpening are too strong or simply badly tweaked.. I feel like watching a cartoon!
I spent 2 min to edit the clip and I get something more natural: why?

amazon clip:
sony0000.png

tv trailer (quickly enhanced):
mjmax0000.png

With all due respect, your enhancement looks NOT natural.

The DVD was restored to the defaults the show was recorded. Put in mind that the VHS was a copy of a Umatic, and that was 25 years ago. The tape may be slightly damaged, so this would be the best they could do.

The colors of the DVD are awesome. It's not necessary to soften them.

Btw is it just me or are alot of Michaels ''Aow '' in another part of me alot higher than he usually shouts them?

That Queen video makes me a little jealous because of the video quality but I don't think it's fair to compare them, knowing the Estate's hand are tied because they only had a VHS for Wembley. Hopefully in the future they will find the U-matics and we will get HD releases of the Bad Tour.

I don't think quality will bother me too much watching Wembley. It's enjoyable judging from the APOM teaser and Michael's performance will blow me away too much to focus on video quality - like it did in the APOM teaser.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back