[Video] Another Part of Me performance from Wembley DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.
2iks1g3.jpg

Quick edit (please open both images in 2 different tabs of your browser and switch to see the differences ;):

original work (done by a professional lab):
original0000.png

Shot at 2012-09-07

quick edit (by a simple fan):
enhanced30000.png

Shot at 2012-09-07

I can't do miracles since I don't have the original VHS. Don't forget I'm starting from a source that is already enhanced.. many details are lost because of filters set too strongly and I simply can't recover them.

I could get rid completely of the halos (these black lines around his shirt)... but I need to code my own matrix and I'm just to lazy for that.

Last edited:
Maybe the details were already lost on the VHS before they started - but any we we get your drift. you can do better. But then someone else can do better than you and someone else better than them. but this is who the Estate had - not you or someone else. Water under the bridge now. I guess its time to move on and discuss what we have. A very well done improvement by someone who wasnt as good as you .. OK I can live with that :)

Quick edit (please open both images in 2 different tabs of your browser and switch to see the differences ;):

original work (done by a professional lab):
original0000.png

Shot at 2012-09-07

quick edit (by a simple fan):
enhanced30000.png

Shot at 2012-09-07

I can't do miracles since I don't have the original VHS. Don't forget I'm starting from a source that is already enhanced.. many details are lost because of filters set too strongly and I simply can't recover them.

I could get rid completely of the halos (these black lines around his shirt)... but I need to code my own matrix and I'm just to lazy for that.

Ugh,that was one thing that really got me mad. How bright the video was from the light, totally over exposed. If they were professionals, I would of expected that to be fixed! Instead it wasn't! The halo's,the colors are everywhere and too much at times a somewhat off a bit and how cartoonish and video de-noised it looks. It doesn't look natural, real or clear. Plus there were some parts where it was way too dark! I can't believe "professionals" did this. They should of hired you mjmax! lol.

I'm gonna stop watching APOM other wise I'm just gonna end up skipping it when watching the final DVD

I had to watch it yesterday four or five times in a row. I just couldn't stop. People stop complaining about quality and try to enjoy the performance! IMO it more than makes up for quality.

I wish we'd have a separate thread for video quality talk (wasn't there such a thread?) because this should be about Michael and his performance not about people showing off their restoration skills, IMO.

Joe Vogel ?@JoeVogel1
Hey MJ Fans: I'm working on a three-part piece on Bad 25 for you. It will run in @TheAtlantic. Watching Wembley DVD right now! #Shamon :)

Lol, u mad.

I didn't say I wasn't buying it. I didn't say I haven't enjoyed the APOM. I'm buying it the day it comes out. And it costs more than $10, so I don't know what dvd you're buying. I said there's allegedly film reels around some place of a show(s) according to people. You don't know what's around for a fact either.

So save your anger for people who think they should have made a blu-ray from a tape.

Im not angry, you are the one who is upset enough to make up conspiracy theories about the Estate not wanting to release masters

I am no expert - but quality looks pretty good for a 24 years old VHS!

Much better than most of us thought. Let's enjoy it.

Maybe the details were already lost on the VHS before they started - but any we we get your drift. you can do better. But then someone else can do better than you and someone else better than them. but this is who the Estate had - not you or someone else. Water under the bridge now. I guess its time to move on and discuss what we have. A very well done improvement by someone who wasnt as good as you .. OK I can live with that :)

this...

the professionals did it... you cant take enhanced footage and then tweak it and say you're better... you have no idea what the source video was, it could have been complete shit...

this...

the professionals did it... you cant take enhanced footage and then tweak it and say you're better... you have no idea what the source video was, it could have been complete shit...

Word!

this...

However there are some things that professionals didn't do and I can't understand why. For example, making a better color correction, tweaking and reducing halos aka outlines and fix damaged frames like this.

error0000.jpg

However there are some things that professionals didn't do and I can't understand why. For example, making a better color correction, tweaking and reducing halos aka outlines and fix damaged frames like this.

error0000.jpg

The color correction is perfect.

DarkZavage;3704399 said:
this...

the professionals did it... you cant take enhanced footage and then tweak it and say you're better...

But he did, and I for one believe, that mjmax's work shows you, that people working on that concert were not pro.

DarkZavage;3704399 said:
you have no idea what the source video was, it could have been complete shit...

Yes, you are right.
We have no idéa of how the original footage looked like.
But yet and still, mjmax did indeed do a better job on that.
If they were professionals, they would have fixed all those mistakes, but in the end... They didn't.

Let me show you, just how good mjmax's work really is.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KHCFvmnk8Ak?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

error0000.jpg

I think that's not a damaged frame. It's just because someone in the audience took a picture.

Don't consider that any official product is perfect..
Don't take for granted that it has to be very well enhanced because it was done by professionals... some of them really don't care about MJ.. we do!
When I look the facts, I can see there are several points where it could be done much more properly..

Here is an example of an official video that I judged necessary to restore:

[YOUTUBE]g_p1QbeN6k0[/YOUTUBE]

These enhancements don't really give you an idea of what we could actually have... because the proper way would be to start from the source and we just don't have them. You would be amazed by the differences if someone competent would work on the sources! ;)

Last edited:
someone said to me he says "party". but the way he says it, it sounds like "partao".
:)

To me it sounds "balcon", but it doesn't make sense as in English that should be "balcony". I thought about balcony because he then points upwards and I wondered if he was pointing to Lady Di in some VIP balcony or something.

I didn't even notice the colour problems, or damaged frames. Watch this, and you can tell the quality is much better now, and there are no black/grey lines across the screen. Almost every single VHS issue is fixed, especially from what we've seen. There's no need to take it frame by frame and complain about the slightest glitch no one noticed.

My problem would've been about 1 second in, I was expecting lots of those but there isn't any from what we've seen.

could we please just leave the quality talk to a seperate thread? It puts a downer on those people who are happy with what we are getting.

so? That guy is already contacted and he said after their work they gave the films to MJ's people and he has no idea where there are now. He brings nothing to this issue. Just because a film existed 25 years ago it doesn't mean that the guy who was hired to work on it would know where it is now.

could we please just leave the quality talk to a seperate thread? It puts a downer on those people who are happy with what we are getting.

I agree and honestly some stuff is making me shake my head. I also want to recommend that if you are this good at restoration start your own companies, you'll earn millions from Nasa etc and you can offer your services for free or lower cost for MJ Estate. You are wasting your talent.

I don't know, it's all about the DVD so it's all relevant. We have to be able to accept others opinions and keep it moving. That's life. Not everyone will have the same opinion, but everyone should be able to share that opinion within reason. They're on topic so it seems ok.

I will say to people to not overlook my post on the previous page about Elvis. You can't learn what the future may hold unless you study the past. There is much that can be learned from studying Elvis' posthumous "career".

Last edited:
I can't edit this in to my post so I'll add it here.

Regarding the things to learn from Elvis' posthumous "career". The mistakes and the things they got right. It took them a while to really get it right, but in the late 80's and early 90's (Elvis died in '77!) they got there. It's been pretty damn great since then. The estate can learn a lot from studying this.

Regardless of quality can't wait for the DVD. Interested the most in MITM :punk: That sick ass spin from TV spot was pretty sick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back