Vote For VH1′s Greatest Male Artist! [Poll Closed] Michael wins

Re: Vote For VH1?s Greatest Male Artist!

oh god, the thought of a poll with the Beatles makes me cringe, Beatles fans are the ultimate cultural snobs, the typical middle aged guy who sits there with his fags deluding himself into thinking he has the slightest clue about music, that kind of musical snobbery, that whole they play instruments rubbish and write their own songs rubbish they always say. Any true musician can see their 'talent' is good, but in the wider scheme of things, is ridiculously overrated.

The Beatles do seem to attract alot of music snobs. I'm not saying all Beatles fans are like that so any Beatles fans on this forum can put their baseball bats away lol

Ohh lord.. Lil Wayne v/s Michael Jackson?? LMAO,
If Lil Wayne wins this I will Troll that website for all eternity.
:)

Am I hallucinating or is it really Michael vs Lil Wayne :rofl: we obviously know the winner !

oh god, the thought of a poll with the Beatles makes me cringe, Beatles fans are the ultimate cultural snobs, the typical middle aged guy who sits there with his fags deluding himself into thinking he has the slightest clue about music, that kind of musical snobbery, that whole they play instruments rubbish and write their own songs rubbish they always say. Any true musician can see their 'talent' is good, but in the wider scheme of things, is ridiculously overrated.

:clapping:

Also their songs tend to be very simple musically, lyrically alike (although this developed later on) and it makes it easy for people to pick up the melody and sing along etc. I don't think it's that great music as it is hyped (I always thought they were VERY overrated), but I can see why it appeals to so many people: simple melodies those are easy to sing along, those will get into your head easily etc. But musically Beatles songs are rarely very exciting and interesting - at least to me.

A critic was quoted in Joe Vogel's book saying (paraphrasing): "Give me Off The Wall any day over the Beatles' entire catalog." And I know it is blasphemy for many (especially white) rock critics (and certainly this critic is in a minority among them), but IMO that is the truth. Musically there's a lot more excitement in OTW alone than in the Beatles' entire catalog.

It's all subjective. I love the Beatles. Michael did too incidentally. I don't like how everything has to be ranked and be in competition. Good music is good music.

Lil Wayne v Michael. I picked Lil Wayne.

... lol. -.-

Voting has ended. Michael won the title.
That makes sense.

Voting has ended. Michael won the title.
That makes sense.

kermit.gif
:shifty:
035ani-messbrasil.gif

:clapping::clapping: only right that Michael won the title:clapping:

I'm happy that Michael won! And the article where they announced the winner was nicely written too.

WildStyle;3715851 said:
It's all subjective. I love the Beatles. Michael did too incidentally. I don't like how everything has to be ranked and be in competition. Good music is good music.

Don't get me wrong, but the feeling wasn't quite so mutual, just look at Paul and MJ after the whole catalogue fiasco, he pretty heavily mocked MJ at times, Whilst someone like Stevie Wonder (Musically in another league to McCartney imo) always stuck up for Michael. Something gives me a feeling John wouldn't like him either as the man was ridiculously ignorant, once proclaiming, "Jazz," he said, "is just a lot of old blokes drinking beer at the bar, smoking pipes and not listening to the music." about a genre infinitely more complex and skillful than anything he's ever created, and insulting a lot of the black community indirectly aswell no doubt, who had huge routes in rhythmic music, and then says this “Living is Easy with Eyes Closed.” walking hypocrite i think. I dunno maybe it's just me, but Michael does a brilliant job with come together, vocally nails it, yet as much as i love it, it isn't one of the strongest tracks on history when up there with tracks like stranger in moscow imo, yet it's a beatles classic, something like beat it or something in their catalogue. Yet Michael has to give it everything to make it not seem like a fall in quality on history. I'm a studying musician to a high level (classical degree, doing some pop and jazz aswell), and i'll let you in on a little secret, most people i've ever met higher up in music start to question what is really so good about the Beatles, if anything, once their understanding of music improves, it's a taboo to question them, but once you get away from the school boys learning guitar wanting to be oasis or something, you get into an environment where you can question them. A lot of the great stuff in their work, specifically arrangements was actually done by George Martin, an exceptional producer and a classically trained musician, though i do concede, credit where credit is due, they were great with vocal hooks (see the cliche hey jude for example) and lyrically strong, yes i realize i'm basically doing what other people say regarding Michael and Quincy, however lets just say one act enjoyed a hell of a lot of media praise, while the other was hounded like crazy, and the reality's might be the opposite of the media and general public assumption stance regarding these acts. They in no way imo deserved the hype they got, it was all just that, hype, in the same years Shostakovitch released his 12th symphony (i know most of you guys won't be into classical, but trust me ;) ) and it was genius on a level the Beatles could scarcely comprehend, yet compared to the Beatles, is totally unheard of. Don't shoot me here guys, but to be fair, to be really fair, i would actually say, If Michael were just a song writer/singer he'd be slightly overrated with how big he is, but only slightly, not that he isn't ridiculously good in those fields anyway, but he isn't just that is he, he is the whole package in one, the whole visionary element, dance and entertainment ability, lack of musical training yet still insane results, (had a team yes) a solo artist, he is rated where he should be, however, the Beatles are rated way too high imo, definitely by the general public, but especially by critics, when you compare the difference in how they are treated compared to Michael, it's ludicrous beyond belief. But i forgot, Michael doesn't play any instruments (i know he does really, i'm talking in the style of Beatles fans), he's just an industry dummy with no real talent unlike like the golden Beatles. In exactly the same way that Beethoven was so shite because he was deaf, and obviously you arn't a musician if you can't hear things......... utter bullshit.

Just my two cents though ;) it's ok if you disagree, just venting some frustration towards the attitudes of Beatles fans I've come across

Last edited:

No need for all of that. I actually think it may be you that is being a bit the musical snob now - no offence. I don't think music has to be technically and musically out of this world complex to be good. Music is about feel to me. One of my favorite writers of all time is Buddy Holly who's compositions are all relatively simple. A hell of a lot of my all time favorite songs are built on no more than 3 or 4 basic chords.

As for George Martin, he had the technical capabilities, but it was the Beatles who had the ideas. Strawberry Fields Forever wouldn't have been what it was without George Martin, but it was the genius of John Lennon that was the driving force as to why that song sounded the way it ended up sounding. It was in his head. George Martin just had the know how to be able to help him execute it. And you're right everything you just said in attempt to discredit and downplay the Beatles can be said by people trying to do the same to Michael. Michael wrote DSTYGE and was responsible for much of the arrangment, but who was responsible for the fantastic string arrangement on that song? Ben Wright. The truth is most great music is a collaborative effort.

For the record, I like The Beatles recording of Come Together more than Michael's. Michael runs circles around Lennon vocally, but I prefer the laid back and organic approach of The Beatles original.

Not that I'm some crazed Beatle fan. I do love their music. I actually prefer The Rolling Stones. But I also love Prince, Blondie, The Ramones, Dylan, Hendrix, Stevie Wonder, The Beastie Boys, The Supremes, Public Enemy, Elvis Presley, Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers, The Temptations, The Drifters, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Ice Cube, Buddy Holly, Nick Cave, A Tribe Called Quest and on and on. All I'm saying is I don't see why people feel the need to try to downplay one artist to build up another one.

I personally don't feel it's an attempt to "downplay one artist to build up another". The frustration is more about how the same critics, who overrate and hype the Beatles to such degrees tend to write crap about Michael. For those Rolling Stone critics who always trash Michael as an artist, the Beatles are some holy cows who cannot do wrong. For decades RS voted Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band as the best album of all times. IMO that's ridiculous and just shows how biased they are for this band and how overrated they are among critics. Also when you look at the RS's 500 best songs list: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/the-500-greatest-songs-of-all-time-20110407 it's ridiculously overcrowded with Beatles songs. And many of them are just not that good, to be honest. But where is Billie Jean? (It's certainly somewhere in the Top 500, but I haven't seen it in the Top 30 - but I already saw at least 5-6 Beatles songs in the Top 30. Are they seriously claiming that something like I Wanna Hold Your Hand is superior to Billie Jean? Or Hound Dog by Elvis, for that matter - because it's also in the Top 30, while Billie Jean is not.)

To me that's the point, not saying that the Beatles were crap. They were a good band at the time, just not these untouchable geniuses the media portrays them. And yes, in certain circles there is also this taboo about them that you cannot question them or say that they were not that good.

Last edited:

Rolling Stone are biased towards 60's and 70's white rock and folk acts. That's just a fact. The fact that Sgt Peppers still gets voted as the #1 album off all time by them and others is because in 1967 it was a truly revolutionary album. Listening to it in 2012 it's much harder to understand what it was like listening to it back then. To me, it's one of my least favourite Beatles albums. It remains "#1" because critics aren't game enough to challenge it. To me though, these rankings are silly and worthless. It's all just opinion. I like Bad more than I like any Beatles album, but you'll never even see Bad above Thriller, let alone a Beatles album like Revolver or Sgt Pepper. It's all opinions. Doesn't make me think The Beatles are any less great.

Now that Michael has passed, you'll see him ever so gradually creep further and further up these lists. Did the music somehow become better because he passed away? Of course not. The whole thing is rubbish. As long as Michael gets the just due he deserves for what he achieved I'm happy. As long as his work is judged fairly and not dismissed as it was after Thriller I'll be happy. We know Michael is one of the greatest artists ever. To most of us he is number 1. But we must remember that is only our opinion. As long as the world recognises how great he was I'm not going to get too worked up over rankings because they are all subjective.

Last edited:

In the end, it just irked me to see people I felt unfairly putting down music that I happen to like a lot. I think they have more than proven themselves worthy of a lot of praise they get.

Don't listen to Rolling Stone to much. It's a great magazine and all. But like Wildstyle already said they are extremely biased to 60 and 70's music and rock. Michael just doens't fit into their repetoire that well. When they make top 100's and stuff I don't take it too serious. A pop song will never be high in their lists.

Allthough I was recently watching a documentary about 80's videos and how that era changed music because of the change in videos. Thriller wasn't even mentioned.......... It was an English documentary so you know it's mainly British bands in their. They did have a really short part on Michael with Billie Jean....... I mean, great video and one of the first videos in which it wasn't the artist just performing his song. Unfortunately they chose to highlight the fact that MTV didn't want to play Billie Jean because he was an afro-american. Doing justice they should have highlighted Thriller.

So all these lists and all are just pure opinions. I don't even believe journalisme is journalisme anymore. It's not about facts but about opinions.

As long as Michael gets the just due he deserves for what he achieved I'm happy. As long as his work is judged fairly and not dismissed as it was after Thriller I'll be happy.

The problem is that it is. And I guess what irks me is exactly this contrast in the treatment of Michael when compared to the treatment of the Beatles or Elvis, or even Madonna, for that matter. And IMO that's mainly not even about the music, but about other factors.

I do not say the Beatles were bad, but I just don't feel them to be that great either, as they are critically hyped.

I also know that things have to be put in the context of when they were created. So yeah, at the time the Beatles might have been revolutionary in many aspects. But I have to say I do enjoy old music - music from the 60s, 70s. I enjoy all that more than today's music. However when it comes to the 60s for example, give me the R&B and soul of that era any day over the Beatles. That music still sounds fresh and spicy and can still make you dance. I don't know, but I just find the Beatles lacking in comparison. It's just my opinion and personal taste.

No need for all of that. I actually think it may be you that is being a bit the musical snob now - no offence. I don't think music has to be technically and musically out of this world complex to be good. Music is about feel to me. One of my favorite writers of all time is Buddy Holly who's compositions are all relatively simple. A hell of a lot of my all time favorite songs are built on no more than 3 or 4 basic chords.

As for George Martin, he had the technical capabilities, but it was the Beatles who had the ideas. Strawberry Fields Forever wouldn't have been what it was without George Martin, but it was the genius of John Lennon that was the driving force as to why that song sounded the way it ended up sounding. It was in his head. George Martin just had the know how to be able to help him execute it. And you're right everything you just said in attempt to discredit and downplay the Beatles can be said by people trying to do the same to Michael. Michael wrote DSTYGE and was responsible for much of the arrangment, but who was responsible for the fantastic string arrangement on that song? Ben Wright. The truth is most great music is a collaborative effort.

For the record, I like The Beatles recording of Come Together more than Michael's. Michael runs circles around Lennon vocally, but I prefer the laid back and organic approach of The Beatles original.

Not that I'm some crazed Beatle fan. I do love their music. I actually prefer The Rolling Stones. But I also love Prince, Blondie, The Ramones, Dylan, Hendrix, Stevie Wonder, The Beastie Boys, The Supremes, Public Enemy, Elvis Presley, Frankie Lymon & The Teenagers, The Temptations, The Drifters, James Brown, Chuck Berry, Ice Cube, Buddy Holly, Nick Cave, A Tribe Called Quest and on and on. All I'm saying is I don't see why people feel the need to try to downplay one artist to build up another one.

You must have noticed though, they are far far far more unkind as a fan base to Michael, than Michael's are to them. After years of reading rubbish like, why like that child molester, the Beatles played all their own instruments and wrote all their own songs unlike W**** i'm going to get somewhat frustrated am i not. And the precise point i'm making regarding working teams contributions, they DO say that about Michael (that everyone else basically did it all), and put too much emphasis on it, and the balance is unfairly against him, only they hardly ever say it about the Beatles, and balance is slightly too far towards them. You cannot deny that they have received astronomically better media coverage and general endorsement, almost like the public are told they are the best act ever, you have no say in this, it's merely a battle for second place. All i'm doing is questioning it (a little harshly i admit) but it's often met with an extremely defensive response, and as they are so culturally secure, and so untouchable, why is the fearce defense they get so needed, when we have to try and convince people regarding Michael that he was actually a good guy before we can even start on his music, it just isn't fair.

I see your point. Yes, it frustrates me too. I think MJ's day will come as far as the respect given. At least I hope. It's fairly well recognised that the big 3 in terms of popularity and cultural impact in popular music history are Elvis, The Beatles and Michael. Nobody can deny that. Michael even surpassed them IMO.

:clapping:

But musically Beatles songs are rarely very exciting and interesting - at least to me.

A critic was quoted in Joe Vogel's book saying (paraphrasing): "Give me Off The Wall any day over the Beatles' entire catalog." And I know it is blasphemy for many (especially white) rock critics (and certainly this critic is in a minority among them), but IMO that is the truth. Musically there's a lot more excitement in OTW alone than in the Beatles' entire catalog.

I dunno maybe it's just me, but Michael does a brilliant job with come together, vocally nails it, yet as much as i love it, it isn't one of the strongest tracks on history when up there with tracks like stranger in moscow imo, yet it's a beatles classic, something like beat it or something in their catalogue. Yet Michael has to give it everything to make it not seem like a fall in quality on history. I'm a studying musician to a high level (classical degree, doing some pop and jazz aswell), and i'll let you in on a little secret, most people i've ever met higher up in music start to question what is really so good about the Beatles, realize i'm basically doing what other people say regarding Michael and Quincy, however lets just say one act enjoyed a hell of a lot of media praise, while the other was hounded like crazy, and the reality's might be the opposite of the media and general public assumption stance regarding these acts. They in no way imo deserved the hype they got, it was all just that, hype, in the same years Shostakovitch released his 12th symphony (i know most of you guys won't be into classical, but trust me ;) ) and it was genius on a level the Beatles could scarcely comprehend, yet compared to the Beatles, is totally unheard of. Don't shoot me here guys, but to be fair, to be really fair, i would actually say, If Michael were just a song writer/singer he'd be slightly overrated with how big he is, but only slightly, not that he isn't ridiculously good in those fields anyway, but he isn't just that is he, he is the whole package in one, the whole visionary element, dance and entertainment ability, lack of musical training yet still insane results, (had a team yes) a solo artist, he is rated where he should be, however, the Beatles are rated way too high imo, definitely by the general public, but especially by critics, when you compare the difference in how they are treated compared to Michael, it's ludicrous beyond belief. But i forgot, Michael doesn't play any instruments (i know he does really, i'm talking in the style of Beatles fans), he's just an industry dummy with no real talent unlike like the golden Beatles. In exactly the same way that Beethoven was so shite because he was deaf, and obviously you arn't a musician if you can't hear things......... utter bullshit.

Just my two cents though ;) it's ok if you disagree, just venting some frustration towards the attitudes of Beatles fans I've come across

I agree with both of you respect and mjultimate. They had nice songs with nice hooks but totally imo overhyped. I find the Beatles fans' very defensive which makes me believe that they are threatened, lol. but the media is also out there controlling someone's image and cultural impact and the Beatles are the media's darlings its very simple. It's funny to note that they compare the Beatles (a group) with Michael a solo artist; in a way that is very good for Michael if you think about it. Michael may not have been a skilled guitar player, but he could play instruments and his best instrument was his voice- his beatboxing made up a lot of his songs, did the beatles have that in their repertoire?

I personally enjoyed Michael's take on Come Together more than the original and I know he did get praise for his version from critics and fans, but like you say Stranger in Moscow and to me TDCAU are better than Come Together- the Beatles classic.

The magic of Michael is the whole package, singer, dancer, songwriter, arranger, producer, percussionist, showman. If you pick it apart that way, Michael is the ultimate overall entertainer of all time.

I don't know I don't want to inject the "racial" construct here but I will anyway. This whole thing could be racially motivated too. I would not be surprised. I know that Obama was elected, but racism is still very much alive here in the states anyway.

Michael to me should be in a league of his own period. This is just my opinion.

All of you who have contributed to this discussion have valid points. I don't want to try to add or detract. I just know that there are forces in this society who want to see a certain type of musician on top and another type not on top. Enough said.

IMO the true difference between Michael and every other musician featured in Rolling Stone, MTV,etc. is:
1. Michael was a CHILD PRODIGY. None of the members of the groups discussed were prodigies. And no one has come close to the talent of 10 year old Michael since. Every year on one of the talent shows some kid comes out and sings and the judges say "you remind me of a young Michael Jackson" Not. The fact he was a prodigy is rarely mentioned.

2. Michael created a MUSICAL GENRE. No one else did that. He created not only the music video but choreographed pop performances that you see every artist doing now. Michael did that.
The fact that he created a whole genre is rarely mentioned.

A a fan I feel it's my responsibility not to knock others' favs but to keep the truth out there about Michael. Whenever there is a poll involving Michael you will notice that at first there are many in the running but soon it becomes Michael against one artist. I believe that is because a lot of MJ haters come of of the woodwork and vote for whoever is Michael's biggest competition in the poll. We have to always be aware of what is going on out there.

I HATE the Beatles. Their music is annoying and has bothered me. Mind you im not proud to say i own 4 of their vinyls, i sold their rockband game, and i just cant stand Beatles fans. Their music issss borrrring

All of you who have contributed to this discussion have valid points. I don't want to try to add or detract. I just know that there are forces in this society who want to see a certain type of musician on top and another type not on top. Enough said.

IMO the true difference between Michael and every other musician featured in Rolling Stone, MTV,etc. is:
1. Michael was a CHILD PRODIGY. None of the members of the groups discussed were prodigies. And no one has come close to the talent of 10 year old Michael since. Every year on one of the talent shows some kid comes out and sings and the judges say "you remind me of a young Michael Jackson" Not. The fact he was a prodigy is rarely mentioned.

2. Michael created a MUSICAL GENRE. No one else did that. He created not only the music video but choreographed pop performances that you see every artist doing now. Michael did that.
The fact that he created a whole genre is rarely mentioned.

A a fan I feel it's my responsibility not to knock others' favs but to keep the truth out there about Michael. Whenever there is a poll involving Michael you will notice that at first there are many in the running but soon it becomes Michael against one artist. I believe that is because a lot of MJ haters come of of the woodwork and vote for whoever is Michael's biggest competition in the poll. We have to always be aware of what is going on out there.

Thank you so much for your input. Wow, you are so right. There is so much to boast of when you talk about Michael the adult solo artist that sometimes you forget about the child prodigy and his accomplishments before OTW. It is truly amazing to think about it. His accomplishments in the entertainment /music industry are unsurpassed indeed. NONE of the BiG legends can boast being a child prodigy. Also, the video/short film (like he liked to refer it) was a phenomenon in itself and he was the pioneer. He indeed made short film musicals to accompany his songs, that is just mind boggling. I remember watching for the first time BJ on MTV, I was glued to that TV just mesmerized at the story or short musical film in front of me- just amazing. Yes, Michael was and is in a league of his own. Nobody will ever be able to touch him, NO ONE!

Back