Waiting for something MJ Estate??

mnwlkr

Proud Member
I have to say that this period (probably the last 6-12 months) have been the most lacklustre, boring and uninspiring time in regards to new releases/material from The Estate/Sony. XSCAPE was released in May 2014 which is now 2 1/2 years with nothing expected until the new year. There has been speculation about such things as Dangerous 25 and who knows whats happening there. I know we had the Spike Lee Doco and OTW Re-issue but this did not give us any new/unreleased material (except the chalk).

I feel as if the spirit and legacy is slowly disappearing and I think this length of time is really bad..... Any thoughts?

The 'spirit and legacy' is certainly not disappearing. MJ is still charting all over the world. He has five albums amongst the Top 200 best selling of this year so far in the US.

Just last week the following happened:

Five albums on the Billboard Top 200 chart.
Three albums in the top 75 on iTunes USA.
Number Ones went 8 x Platinum in the UK.
Three albums in the top 100 in the UK.
Love Never Felt So Good went Gold in the UK.

In your country, Australia, The Essential has been doing well. It has been charting on not only the catalogue chart but also on the Top 100 albums chart.

We fans want something, always. Of course. The general public could live with wide spreaded releases I guess.
That's the reason we urgently need a collector's label for low key releases aimed at MJ fans only.

MJ legacy will never die, even if they never released anything ever again. there will always be new fans discovering the music that's already there. legends never die

His legacy won't die. But I agree that the Estate launch a new project in the near future. We are waiting tooooo long for something new. I gave upup my hopes for Dangerous 25. I guess they will launch a final project next year when the last year of the contract with Sony kicks in. I hope their final project will be something great. Good is not enough.

There will me more to come, but as long as we wait for it it's going to feel like forever!

LMAO about the chalk! I thought that was SO silly to include with the OTW re-release. I mean, I wouldn't deface any of Michael's albums with my crappy handwriting and I feel like others feel the same way! INSTEAD, gimme the ENTIRE footage off that bada** performance of Don't Stop Til You Get Enough (as seen in the documentary), not some freaking chalk. K thanks.

But yes, honestly, I was happy to have anything come out at all. Now just waiting for something with more substance to it...

79e.gif

I have to say that this period (probably the last 6-12 months) have been the most lacklustre, boring and uninspiring time in regards to new releases/material from The Estate/Sony. XSCAPE was released in May 2014 which is now 2 1/2 years with nothing expected until the new year. There has been speculation about such things as Dangerous 25 and who knows whats happening there. I know we had the Spike Lee Doco and OTW Re-issue but this did not give us any new/unreleased material (except the chalk).

I feel as if the spirit and legacy is slowly disappearing and I think this length of time is really bad..... Any thoughts?

I agree about the waiting, but KNOW that Michael's magic and legacy isn't disappearing and it will NEVER die.
Even in death he's still setting major records (Thriller just went 32x platinum early this year).
Michael has the strongest legacy I've ever seen a solo artist have.
Look at any social media platform or website and Michael is just as talked about as any living artist.

I think they may do something with Thriller around October, but this is just a feeling I have. :)

His legacy is set in stone and does not depend on posthumus projects.

Besides, he is gone. You will have to get used to it that new project will not keep coming with no end. Even when he was alive there have been many years between albums, but now fans get impatient if they don't get a new project every year.

Besides, he is gone. You will have to get used to it that new project will not keep coming with no end. Even when he was alive there have been many years between albums, but now fans get impatient if they don't get a new project every year.

Agreed.

Yep. Hell, we've probably got more in the last 7 years from the Estate than we probably would've if he was still here...

Aw, come on, MJ wasn't Frank Ocean. :rofl:

HAHAHA nah, but he was pretty spacious in his releases tbh, with an average of ~4 years between studio albums (which, funnily enough, would be the same time period between channel ORANGE and Boy's Don't Cry should it actually come out this year :p).

Since Michael's death the estate has released....
2009 This Is It film + New songs/demos
2010 Michael Jackson's VISION + New album + Hold My Hand Music Video
2011 Hollywood Tonight music video + Behind the Mask music video + Cirque du Soleil show + Immortal remix soundtrack
2012 Bad 25 2CD + Live DVD + Live album + Bad 25 Doco
2013 Michael Jackson One + "Ultimate Fan Collection"
2014 Another new album + Freddie Mercury duet
2015 Nothing
2016 Off the Wall documentary + probably another project
2017 Another 2-3 projects for Sony's deal, depending on whether they do another this year.

If I take into consideration that Michael was now a full-time father (which did drastically slow down his output, understandably) and had other ambitions such as filmmaking, I really don't see him putting out anywhere near as many releases as the Estate have done. I personally imagine he'd put out... a new album a year or two after TII (riding the coattails of it's success and his "comeback"), a concert blu-ray release (likely of a This Is It show) and Bad 25 too. Maybe some song features too for other artists (like the vocals on Daft Punk's Get Lucky... ...or so I can dream ok :p)

So no, not as bad as Frank Ocean :)rofl:), but not to the level of the Estate. Yeah, us MJ fans have been pretty lucky :)

Its all over

Yes, since 25 June 2009 :(

Know what you mean though. The Estate has slowed down on new releases.

I do believe Michael's legacy is secure and the demand for his existing material will continue.

However, I feel the demand for new releases has been lukewarm as far as the public is concerned. Thus, the not so great sales.

Maybe that's why the Estate is taking time and slowing down?

:(

We've gotten much more releases in the past 7 years than we did the 7 years prior to his passing.. Michael was not one to have many releases of various projects on a regular bases.. That being said, there will be more to come.. It's hard to be patient though I know!

The Estate doesn't really owe US anything.

They owe it to the heirs and to themselves (the executors) to grow the value of the estate.
So, any project that would increase the estate's net worth would be of interest undoubtedly...

It's hard to be patient though I know!

it's not hard at all for me, since the only things I've cared about that they have released since his death was This Is It and Bad tour London dvd. I doubt they will release anything I care about again

Still waiting for a 3D Version of the Thriller short film..

Speaking of Thriller, it's amazing how The Making Of Thriller still hasn't been released on DVD/Blu Ray yet. And Ghosts also doesn't have a DVD/Blu Ray release.

IMO, if there’s no new releases it doesn’t mean that nobody is working. The most important thing is not quantity, right?
And to be honest, with all mess in the media I would not want any promotion for any project to start. Let them all scream out what they want and later prove them wrong! As it’s been said here already Michael is in charts anyway…

And IMO, everything since 2009 was an experiment. Some decisions were good, some bad. It all were tries. Such projects as Xscape and Circus shows clearly show the way to go ahead. And IF the next project is something like Xscape, they better take their time and think twice before making something like to let the hologram on stage!

If they are working, no complaints from me and according to the state of things now, waiting is a very right thing to do!

Although, the History statue makes me think of something related to this album, maybe History tour…

There is heaps of material that they can release everything from The Jacksons Variety Show to all the live concerts....and the unerrated Ghosts.

Thank you for all the responses, I know some feel differently and some the same as I but I enjoy the debate nonetheless. I love MJ just as much as all of you so I hope we get something new in the next 12 months !!

Back