Was Michael ever disappointed with any songs he released?

analogue

Proud Member
You could say that he would have never released something if he was disappointed with it. But people's opinions change over time, and many artists have been disappointed with some material they put out. So did Michael have a song he ended up not liking that much after he released it?

I don't think he hated it, but I remember an interview from 2001 where he said that he was frustrated with Wanna Be Startin Somethin' because he could never get the song to sound like the way it sounded in his head.

Good question mate.
I remember being shocked when I first read Moonwalk, that Mike wasn't satisfied with some songs on Thriller The Girl Is Mine and WBBS.
I recall he wasn't satisfied with some of the tracks on Triumph, Walk Right Now and Everybody. I'm sure Michael said something like those songs didn't have Quincy's richness to them. That was in Moonwalk too

It would be interesting to see on what MJ's thoughts were about his post Thriller career

Interesting… Michael performed WBSS in every tour he did, so apparently he did like the song, but was unsatisfied with the way it sounded on the record… would be interesting to compare the studio version with the live version, to see what he changed…

Last edited:
Interesting… Michael performed WBSS in every tour he did, so apparently he did like the song, but was unsatisfied with the way it sounded on the record… would be interesting to compare the studio version with the live version, to see what he changed…

The live version doesn't always sound the same. And maybe the reason for that is because Michael wasn't satisfied with it? He kept tweaking it until he found a version he was happy with. But he could never find anything

Michael Jackson was disappointed with many of his songs after he released them.

The ‘BAD’ album is a clear example: after the album’s original release, he kept making alterations, slight changes and improvements to songs from that album because he was not satisfied with how they sounded on the original album’s release.

That is why the ‘BAD’ album exists in several different versions.

Also, at one point in 2005, when he was in the recording studio, he expressed to American journalist Geraldo Rivera his disappointment about the fact that certain things should have been in his songs after these songs’ release.

There is also the matter of sound glitches that must have made the singer feel disappointed after the songs were released (such as, ‘Give In To Me’, ‘Don’t Walk Away’, ‘Jam’, etc).

Also, he apparently was disappointed with the dated, new jack swing sound of his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ song when it came out in 1997.

This explains why he decided to give it a rockier edge when he performed it in 1997 during the HIStory Tour.

The ‘BAD’ album is a clear example: after the album’s original release, he kept making alterations, slight changes and improvements to songs from that album because he was not satisfied with how they sounded on the original album’s release.

Also, at one point in 2005, when he was in the recording studio, he expressed to American journalist Geraldo Rivera his disappointment about the fact that certain things should have been in his songs after these songsÂ’ release.

There is also the matter of sound glitches that must have made the singer feel disappointed after the songs were released (such as, ‘Give In To Me’, ‘Don’t Walk Away’, ‘Jam’, etc).

Also, he apparently was disappointed with the dated, new jack swing sound of his ‘Blood On The Dance Floor’ song when it came out in 1997.

This explains why he decided to give it a rockier edge when he performed it in 1997 during the HIStory Tour.
Where do you get this info from? It seems like a lot of is opinion, unless you have access to things that we all don't?

Also, why do you refer to him so formally all the time "Michael Jackson", "the singer".

Just questions, no hate intended

Where do you get this info from? It seems like a lot of is opinion, unless you have access to things that we all don't?

Also, why do you refer to him so formally all the time "Michael Jackson", "the singer".

Just questions, no hate intended

It is mj_frenzy... his/her posts are all the same style, he/she has every information of Michael, I believe he/she know exact dates and times even when MJ farted :D :D LoL... I´m sorry, but I´m sooo bored about his/her "statements" :D

It is mj_frenzy... his/her posts are all the same style, he/she has every information of Michael, I believe he/she know exact dates and times even when MJ farted :D :D LoL... I´m sorry, but I´m sooo bored about his/her "statements" :D

he/she knew MJ in person. afaik he/she mentioned that a while ago.

no idea how true that is.

Also, at one point in 2005, when he was in the recording studio, he expressed to American journalist Geraldo Rivera his disappointment about the fact that certain things should have been in his songs after these songs’ release.

If I see one more of these statement posts, you're getting the ban hammer. :smilev4:

he/she knew MJ in person. afaik he/she mentioned that a while ago.

no idea how true that is.

I don't think he has ever mentioned anything like this, on the forum.
Please, let's keep the conversation focused on Michael instead of other members.

I think Michael's dissatisfaction with some songs can be taken another way. He admitted that he was a perfectionist and that he didn't like to "settle" for anything. He always wondered if a song could be better and liked to continue to work on it and change it up. To me, it's just the way he worked, even if it may have been frustrating to some of the people he collaborated with. As someone who heard an entire song in his head and then attempted to pass on what he heard to others so they could replicate it, I have no doubt that sometimes what was actually produced fell short of what Michael first imagined. It's not really disappointment, in my book....it's the downside of being a genius and a visionary.

Questions like this would have been great if journalist had asked MJ while he was alive. Questions about his art and the creative proces - and the after proces.
But the stupid media asked into allegations, plastic surgery and all stupid rumors regardig MJ.

No one really asked MJ all the interesting questions while he was live - and now we will never know.

Yes, I think he was said not to like a few of his songs. The guy was a perfectionist, which is why most of his songs were fire.

Questions like this would have been great if journalist had asked MJ while he was alive. Questions about his art and the creative proces - and the after proces.
But the stupid media asked into allegations, plastic surgery and all stupid rumors regardig MJ.

No one really asked MJ all the interesting questions while he was live - and now we will never know.

The closest thing we ever got to getting interviews about his music was the 1993 Mexico Deposition, and the 1994 Dangerous deposition. Sadly it had to happen in a court room because some crazy people tried to sue Michael because they claimed he stole music from them. Michael won all the cases btw

And I love how we learn things that we never would have learned from regular interviews. Like how the song Dangerous came from Streetwalker

Last edited:
The closest thing we ever got to getting interviews about his music was the 1993 Mexico Deposition, and the 1994 Dangerous deposition. Sadly it had to happen in a court room because some crazy people tried to sue Michael because they claimed he stole music from them. Michael won all the cases btw

And I love how we learn things that we never would have learned from regular interviews. Like how the song Dangerous came from Streetwalker

I prefer listening to MJ's depositions than his interviews, they're far more interesting. I wish there was more of them out there

Plagiarism? I'm intrigued as to what you're referring to? (I'm a relatively new dedicated fan, always been a supporter, I just didn't fall in love with the man and his music until 32 years into my life, for some reason, haha)

As a singer/producer myself, while I'm not a professional by any means, we all still do the same thing... and I can assure you, he could probably nitpick every single song he ever recorded, especially with MJ, I highly doubt he ever considered anything to be perfect. This includes even his oldest material, he was still changing and switching up little things live throughout his entire career. But typically, the artists who are the type to be never satisfied, are the ones who provide us with the best material. That's why we have so many different versions of MJ songs that we love just as much as the originals.

Welcome Warheadz my friend. This what everyone is referring to mate

That is the 1993 Mexico Deposition, Michael, his father Joe and Rod Temperton were accused of Plagiarism. Michael was being accused here because of his involvement of the songs, Thriller, We Are The World and The Girl Is Mine. The man suing him was Raynard Jones, a neighbour from Gary, Indiana, who used to rehearse with The Jackdons when they first started

The other 1994 Deposition is this one

This is a separate 1994 court Deposition of the song Dangerous.

Both are great insights into Mike's creative process, vastly more so than his actual interviews were

Wowww. With all the other nonsense controversy, I guess this doesn't get brought up as much since I've never heard anyone even allude to this. I've admittedly never watched the entire deposition in full like this. Thank you for sharing! It's utterly insane how much everyone wanted a piece, no matter how they could (try to) obtain it.

Michael was damn wrong ..Give into me is his masterpiece in my opinion :0

@PurpleThriller

'Give In To Me' is brilliant but it doesn't seem to get much love. Not that I've noticed, anyway. I have it on permanent heavy rotation. Sometimes I'll play it just once and then I don't need to listen to anything else all day because, well, why would I need to? I suppose I can understand Michael not being satisfied with it cos, you know, creative-genius-at-work and all that. But for me, this song has got everything.

I probably watch the video a bit too much cos when I listen to the song by itself I do sometimes ever-so-slightly miss the pyrotechnic sound effects. But I wouldn't actually want them on the record. And the guitar solo is way more powerful on the record than it is on the video.

It's just perfect.

I recently saw a video of him in the studio and one of the others was saying how much they loved Billie Jean and Mike said that whenever he hears it he hears what's not there that should be... he was super self critical and I hope he still knew that his music was amazing regardless what was missing. I also adore "Give into me".

I recently saw a video of him in the studio and one of the others was saying how much they loved Billie Jean and Mike said that whenever he hears it he hears what's not there that should be... he was super self critical and I hope he still knew that his music was amazing regardless what was missing. I also adore "Give into me".
Oh, that's interesting. Can I ask which video is that? Is it online?

I'm not a genius (obvs!) but I can understand what Michael is getting at. The difference between what he can hear and what ends up being created. That does make sense. In the MTV 1999 interview he talks about letting something go when he's happy with it and then says he's never totally satisfied. He's talking about videos there but I'm guessing it applies to the songs as well.

I like to think he did know how amazing his music was or, at the very least, that he was able to enjoy it. Like in the Mexico deposition film footage from 1993, when they start playing the working tape of TGIM, he just starts grooving straightaway. He's totally into it. So cute.

And, yeah, Give In To Me. It's just so ❤️‍🔥

Michael Jackson. Rock star. Legend. Genius.

Would be great to see that video. Love 'Give In To Me' though I don't really understand the song. It seems like an angry song and love song at the same time.

By nature perfectionist are never satisfied with their work. He says in Oprah interview also that he is never satisfied, and he cried after moonwalk.

I'm not a genius (obvs!) but I can understand what Michael is getting at. The difference between what he can hear and what ends up being created. That does make sense. In the MTV 1999 interview he talks about letting something go when he's happy with it and then says he's never totally satisfied. He's talking about videos there but I'm guessing it applies to the songs as well.

I like to think he did know how amazing his music was or, at the very least, that he was able to enjoy it. Like in the Mexico deposition film footage from 1993, when they start playing the working tape of TGIM, he just starts grooving straightaway. He's totally into it. So cute.

And, yeah, Give In To Me. It's just so ❤️‍🔥

Michael Jackson. Rock star. Legend. Genius.
Here is the video about Michael Jackson expressing his dissatisfaction when hearing the playback of his 'Billie Jean' song:

Here is the video about Michael Jackson expressing his dissatisfaction when hearing the playback of his 'Billie Jean' song:

Before this, they had listened to Beautiful Girl which was, at the time, unfinished. And you can see Geraldo Rivera pointing to the mixing console when asking the question, so I'm pretty sure Michael was referring to the creative process in general whenever he would record a demo, when he said that ''he thinks of everything that should be there, that is not there''.
I think he is speaking about what it is like to listen to a demo that you have created and haven't finished, not about Billie Jean in particular.

Would be great to see that video. Love 'Give In To Me' though I don't really understand the song. It seems like an angry song and love song at the same time.

By nature perfectionist are never satisfied with their work. He says in Oprah interview also that he is never satisfied, and he cried after moonwalk.
I loved that part when he talked about not being satisfied with the toe stand, and I always felt the same way about that performance but knew it was his first time doing it! He had really flat feet and Liza Minelli showed him how to stretch his feet like ballet dancers do, and he developed strong high arches for dancing. Always thought that was interesting as a ballet dancer :)
And to me, Give In To Me sounds like pent up sexual frustration…an underrated song! Whenever someone says he wasn’t into women, I think uuuhh, give this song a listen!🔥🔥🔥

Before this, they had listened to Beautiful Girl which was, at the time, unfinished. And you can see Geraldo Rivera pointing to the mixing console when asking the question, so I'm pretty sure Michael was referring to the creative process in general whenever he would record a demo, when he said that ''he thinks of everything that should be there, that is not there''.
I think he is speaking about what it is like to listen to a demo that you have created and haven't finished, not about Billie Jean in particular.
I agree. It does sound more like a general comment rather than a focus on one particular song. Great clip, though. You can see him properly, hear him properly, he looks just fine. He seems quite relaxed which is always good to see, he's got his working peeps around him, his little gang. Just so lovely.

Oh yeah, and he's dressed in black which is always ❤️‍🔥

Back