Was Michael Jackson Autistic?

Was MJ Autistic?

• Total voters
Piek;4279796 said:
This is a hard topic to discuss, because for some people it feels like autism would be a disqualification, and for others it absolutely isn't. I think we can all agree that none of us want to speak badly about Michael here... and to me it feels like the question raised in this topic, is absolutely sincere. But I also understand, especially since Michael went through so much slander, it's a sensitive subject too.

I want to compare it to something else. I adore the paintings of Claude Monet. Really gorgeous! A few years ago, I visited an exhibition and learned that his 'blurry' style might be the result of an eyeproblem he had. He suffered from cataracts for much of his later life, during which he created his most famous works. Now to me, that's fascinating, because something that is limitating, turned out to be some sort of 'super power'. We've seen that before: Beethoven was deaf, but created his greatest compositions (and actually caused music to change from the Classical Period to the Romantic Period completely on his own) while hearing hardly anything. Stephen Hawking couldn't move – but turned out to be one of the greatest thinkers. Steve Jobs caused a revolution in technology – while battling cancer for many years... knowing his time was limited, made him super focussed. These are all cases where personal health had a huge impact on great talent.

I completely understand there is much more taboo around autism, than around bad eyesight. I also understand why that is.
Personally, I don't think Michael Jackson was in the autism spectrum – but there was something. I always wondered why he performed Billie Jean completely identical for hundreds of times. I always wondered why he would say the same lines before he started the Motown medley on his tours ("And now I am gonna give you...") It's a bit weird that he always did that exactly the same way. On the other hand, that extreme focus is probably what made him so great. I was astounded when I watched the recordings of We Are The World. I saw this bit where Cyndi Lauper and others had to sing their bit time and again, to get it right ONCE. Michael had to sing his bit time and again too, because of them. And he's spot on. Every time. There is no mistake. There is no bad take. What he had to sing, was loaded in his brain, and it was locked... he could have sung it a thousand times. And that is a super power. And yes, it is fascinating where he got that from... and it could well be that his brain simpy functioned a bit different from most of us. Could be autism, could be something else. He did great things with it, that's what counts.
Except we don't know Michael had autism and we never will. That's the difference. This is just pointless speculation which is unbecoming of his own fans, in my opinion. Michael gets enough of that from the media and the ignorant. It has nothing to do with the fact we're talking about autism. It would be the same if people were speculating whether Michael had any other medical condition.

Except we don't know Michael had autism and we never will. That's the difference. This is just pointless speculation which is unbecoming of his own fans, in my opinion. Michael gets enough of that from the media and the ignorant. It has nothing to do with the fact we're talking about autism. It would be the same if people were speculating whether Michael had any other medical condition.

Anna I completely agree with you. There's so much speculation around Michael and he had to live with that. Now his own fans are speculating too.

I'm well aware what autism is. I'm just baffled at how OP came to the conclusion that because he was a perfectionist he might be autistic.
I was counting it as one trait among many, not exclusive to itself. People with Asperger's often have a very intense focus on a single area of interest, or maybe two. Their interest in their chosen subjects may border on obsession, at least in the eyes of observers...and that's why I brought it up.

Take me as an example. Growing up fairly isolated, I sought comfort in films and TV shows. This casual interest soon became very focused, to where I could name almost any actor, writer, director, etc...even if I'd only seen their work a couple of times. People have suggested to me that I become a film critic, but I refused since critics don't get to choose what they review. Hollywood puts enough junk out there; I don't need any more of it in my head.

I hope that clears things up for you a little bit.

Piek;4279796 said:
This is a hard topic to discuss, because for some people it feels like autism would be a disqualification, and for others it absolutely isn't. I think we can all agree that none of us want to speak badly about Michael here... and to me it feels like the question raised in this topic, is absolutely sincere. But I also understand, especially since Michael went through so much slander, it's a sensitive subject too.

I want to compare it to something else. I adore the paintings of Claude Monet. Really gorgeous! A few years ago, I visited an exhibition and learned that his 'blurry' style might be the result of an eyeproblem he had. He suffered from cataracts for much of his later life, during which he created his most famous works. Now to me, that's fascinating, because something that is limitating, turned out to be some sort of 'super power'. We've seen that before: Beethoven was deaf, but created his greatest compositions (and actually caused music to change from the Classical Period to the Romantic Period completely on his own) while hearing hardly anything. Stephen Hawking couldn't move ā€“ but turned out to be one of the greatest thinkers. Steve Jobs caused a revolution in technology ā€“ while battling cancer for many years... knowing his time was limited, made him super focussed. These are all cases where personal health had a huge impact on great talent.

I completely understand there is much more taboo around autism, than around bad eyesight. I also understand why that is.
Personally, I don't think Michael Jackson was in the autism spectrum ā€“ but there was something. I always wondered why he performed Billie Jean completely identical for hundreds of times. I always wondered why he would say the same lines before he started the Motown medley on his tours ("And now I am gonna give you...") It's a bit weird that he always did that exactly the same way. On the other hand, that extreme focus is probably what made him so great. I was astounded when I watched the recordings of We Are The World. I saw this bit where Cyndi Lauper and others had to sing their bit time and again, to get it right ONCE. Michael had to sing his bit time and again too, because of them. And he's spot on. Every time. There is no mistake. There is no bad take. What he had to sing, was loaded in his brain, and it was locked... he could have sung it a thousand times. And that is a super power. And yes, it is fascinating where he got that from... and it could well be that his brain simply functioned a bit different from most of us. Could be autism, could be something else. He did great things with it, that's what counts.

ItĀ“s not about autism being a disqualification. ItĀ“s simply because his life was so scrutinized and in death itĀ“s the same. Always asking why he had this and why he did that. If he had autism fine, if he hadnĀ“t fine too! LetĀ“s focus on the music, the man. What itĀ“s going to be next?

DifferentKindOfLady;4279864 said:
ItĀ“s not about autism being a disqualification. ItĀ“s simply because his life was so scrutinized and in death itĀ“s the same. Always asking why he had this and why he did that. If he had autism fine, if he hadnĀ“t fine too! LetĀ“s focus on the music, the man. What itĀ“s going to be next?

Thank You. I agree with EVERY word you posted. I canā€™t believe fans would even start a thread like this. Whose business is it anyway? Why do we or anyone else think that we should know every minute detail of this manā€™s personal life? FTR, I do NOT think that Michael was autistic.

Btw, I thought that there was a rule on this forum that certain things about Michael or his children should not be speculated, discussed or implied. Again, thank you for your post, I agree with you 💯.

PoP;4279626 said:
I may have said this before and Iā€™ll say it again. I pretty much doubt that Michael has autism and I should know cause I have it myself. I even tried to ask Karen Faye a couple years back on Twitter about it and never got the answer which maybe that he doesnā€™t actually have it.

Autism presents itself in so many ways, though, because there is a spectrum of tendencies, behaviours, etc. along which various individuals sit. One person diagnosed with autism can be completely different with regard to their personality, the way they live their life, their strengths, weaknesses, talents and so on, compared to another person diagnosed with autism. With some people, it's almost impossible to tell, because they function at an extremely high level. Having autism oneself doesn't necessarily mean that one can tell when another person has it.

Except we don't know Michael had autism and we never will. That's the difference. This is just pointless speculation which is unbecoming of his own fans, in my opinion.

Well, this is a discussion forum, where people discuss their opinions and thoughts on a topic or a question and then other people respond to that. Of course, we don't KNOW.....that's why it's a discussion. Of course it's speculation......most discussions regarding the life, character and talents of an icon....especially one as complex as Michael, will involve speculation. It should definitely be possible for intelligent and respectful discussions to take place between mature adults in a safe environment....even when the topic is not an easy one to think about. It's a simple matter to just not participate in the thread, for members who find that it's not their cup of tea.

I'm well aware what autism is. I'm just baffled at how OP came to the conclusion that because he was a perfectionist he might be autistic.

It's not like this: perfectionism = autism

Autism is often linked with a very high level of perfectionism......there is a sense of being "driven" to perfectionism, without having any real control over it. Michael's urge to create and his inability to sleep because of it could have been a sign of this unstoppable drive. There are things that are an absolute MUST for some people with ASD - like the need for structure, order, repetition...elements of compulsiveness linked with their actions and reactions. There is often the presence of a genius level of skill or intelligence in specific, targeted areas (painting, playing a musical instrument, mathematics, puzzles, dance, etc.) coupled sometimes with complete ineptitude in other areas, such as organisation of their own environment, understanding of money, social skills, use of mechanical equipment.

somewhereinthedark;4280004 said:

Thank You. I agree with EVERY word you posted. I can’t believe fans would even start a thread like this. Whose business is it anyway? Why do we or anyone else think that we should know every minute detail of this man’s personal life? FTR, I do NOT think that Michael was autistic.

Btw, I thought that there was a rule on this forum that certain things about Michael or his children should not be speculated, discussed or implied. Again, thank you for your post, I agree with you ��.

Thank you for your feedback :)
I agree with you. ThereĀ“s so much going on surrounding MJ and itĀ“s always been like this. ItĀ“s boring!
I think a discussion is always healthy but there are certain things that I find hard to accept. ItĀ“s not about autism, itĀ“s about all of this speculation around him. Imagine MJĀ“s face if he saw his fans discussing delicate matters about him? He probably would say: "I had the tabloids making up things about me, discussing my life... And now my fans too?"

Well, this is a discussion forum, where people discuss their opinions and thoughts on a topic or a question and then other people respond to that. Of course, we don't KNOW.....that's why it's a discussion. Of course it's speculation......most discussions regarding the life, character and talents of an icon....especially one as complex as Michael, will involve speculation. It should definitely be possible for intelligent and respectful discussions to take place between mature adults in a safe environment....even when the topic is not an easy one to think about. It's a simple matter to just not participate in the thread, for members who find that it's not their cup of tea.
Pretty sure no one here would like it if they found out that people who loved them were discussing online whether or not they might have whatever medical condition. Yet it's okay for fans to do it to Michael? Why? Especially after everything he went through. It's so disrespectful. This is a fan forum, not the comment section of TMZ. We should have limits.

pretty sure no one here would like it if they found out that people who loved them were discussing online whether or not they might have whatever medical condition. Yet it's okay for fans to do it to michael? Why? Especially after everything he went through. It's so disrespectful. This is a fan forum, not the comment section of tmz. We should have limits.

thank you'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm undecided if Michael had autism. I am an autistic adult and i can't really see any traits of it in Michael. I think he is a classic case of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, he ticks a lot of boxes for that.

Mmhmm agree .

I think he had elements of PTSD and very bad anxiety and , as much as i love michael , Ok i love you michael with all my heart, god bless you - I simply think he was stubborn i do not think you could tell m what to do for better or worse.

I have High Functioning syndrome myself and I know Michael did not have autism (I don't like the term autistic - it assumes the disease/disorder contyrols the subject - not that the subject merely has it - a disorder does not control a person).

I would say in some ways Michael could be immature and naive - but that can be blamed on the abuse from his father and the fact he was a star from very young and thus had a very sheltered upbringing that kept the real world away and later on the fame ensured he could live generally separate from the general population.

Autism is real, but we suffer from overdiagnosis of it now and its a catch all term to cover an umbrella of psychological disorders and sadly also to explain some bratty and unaccepatble behaviour by some people.

I was counting it as one trait among many, not exclusive to itself. People with Asperger's often have a very intense focus on a single area of interest, or maybe two. Their interest in their chosen subjects may border on obsession, at least in the eyes of observers...and that's why I brought it up.

Take me as an example. Growing up fairly isolated, I sought comfort in films and TV shows. This casual interest soon became very focused, to where I could name almost any actor, writer, director, etc...even if I'd only seen their work a couple of times. People have suggested to me that I become a film critic, but I refused since critics don't get to choose what they review. Hollywood puts enough junk out there; I don't need any more of it in my head.

I hope that clears things up for you a little bit.

Im like that too

Many have this clichƩ view of what autism is. I am not saying MJ was autistic but I figured this would be a decent thread to make the comment. There are millions of undiagnosed people on the autism spectrum, and the personality traits greatly vary. There is no medical tests that can be done and is solely diagnosed by obvious personality traits. Since it is a spectrum, it can be very hard to diagnose depending on what portions of the spectrum effect an individual more.

I would be willing to bet that all of us know someone that has autism without us (and very possibly even them) knowing. There are many traits of autism but these are the generalities surrounding autism.

Autism_Spectrum_Disorder.jpg

I doubt he was autistic, he might have shown similar behaviors to autism, however

just because the results are the same doesn't mean the causes are the same.

ergo, Michael had Peter Pan syndrome, which made him behave like a child, and and adult behaving like a child isn't necessarily immature, he can also behave in other odd ways which can be mistaken as autism

in any case, he was weird

I also heard/read that autism is a spectrum and everybody "has autism" to some extent, for some it's a serious pathology.

People who have Asperger kids tell me I have Asperger's, people with gifted kids tell me I'm "Gifted"...
But I just call that being "cerebral". Some people may see it as egocentrism too, but I often I feel it more like being overwhelmingly empathic and introvert at the same time, often feeling discomfort because among people in my surrounding who get revered and admired by our peers, I would describe many of them as "bloodthirsty uncivilised barbarians" ((especially in work/corporate environments) ...
Listening to interviews, I can easily spot similarities between things I lived and things Michael lived (except on his side, everything is 1.000 to 1.000.000 times bigger), so yeah, I can see why some people would want to tag him with this kind of things...

That problem with that kind of topic is that there (probably) is real sciences about it... But there is also a lot of "marketing bullshit" leading people to self diagnose or pay for help they don't necessarily need. I guess it works because for some people it's comfortable to think of themselves or their kids are being "special", gives them a way to "explain" things...
Result is that discussions on this kind of topics, especially in public spaces, just go can't nowhere as everyone's got different ideas and definitions...

Last edited:
Stumbled upon something:

Having narcissistic parent(s) is likely to cause children to become overachievers.
(Both underlined traits are traits I share with Michael so that's why it rang a bell here.)
Overachievement and perfectionism are very close in common language when you talk about a person.

We don't really know everything about Joseph's personality, but there are various stories told in interviews that clearly related to the education that would be given by a narcissist parent, like denigrating Michael for no reason, putting him down when his doing wellā€¦

(Sorry, I can't extensively define all terms here.)

So, maybe this is a direction to look into rather than autismā€¦

The amount of time he would spent hanging out (and sleeping) with kids like The Cascio's, after the allegations, and even during his marriages and having kids of his own, can't be ignored tbh even if you think he is innocent. This definitely looks like something he couldn't help doing; a special interest but more likely as a trauma response than an autism trait imho.

Last edited:
Interesting thread i don't think iv'e replied yet... erm i doubt it . Ill say super focused. In my ff yeah, i did write m that way .. but i guess i was projecting.

Whatever or not Michael had autism. we can't deny the fact he was highly talented. like i said before. we've not doctors and we can't say what he had. we probably will never know for sure.
mmm yeah. Going with this steadfast post. šŸ„¹šŸ’”
I think most artiswt 'struggle' with some form of these 'conditions' :( back in the day - i was surprised to know Mike Patton from Faith no more has a very high anxiety level , and later , James Hetfield too. ..,which i mistaked for arrogance.
last people to experience crippling anxiety, i thought !

mmm yeah. Going with this steadfast post. šŸ„¹šŸ’”
I think most artiswt 'struggle' with some form of these 'conditions' :( back in the day - i was surprised to know Mike Patton from Faith no more has a very high anxiety level
wend, are you into Faith No More? I was, back in the day.

I cant' say whether or whether not MJ had autism or not but he ABSOLUTLEY 10000% had CPTSD stemming from multiple sources. First was Joe Jackson's phyiscal, verbal, and emotional abuse of him and his siblings, then was the trappings of worldwide adoration and not being able to live a normal life as a result of it, and then of course were the allegations and the media turning him into a punchline. Thats why even when MJ was still alive you had people predicting he'd die young, he went through A LOT of fucked up shit, too much for most people to handle.

I guess the thing that would make people think that MJ was autistic was his maturity regression during his adult years. Neverland Ranch was $22 million dollar coping mechanism that allowed him to re-create his childhood. And some people can point out this sort of Peter Pan mentality to someone like Chris Chan, who also was a child that never grew up.

I cant' say whether or whether not MJ had autism or not but he ABSOLUTLEY 10000% had CPTSD stemming from multiple sources.
I don't wanna do the 'armchair psychologist' thing but, ngl, I do believe something like this could be true.

Just to be clear, not having a go at you. I'm talking in general terms about the tendency to psychoanalyse someone we have never met and when we, mostly, don't have the qualifications or training to analyse anybody. But, that said, this suggestion makes a lot of sense to me.

Michael was strong, resilient and brave. But he was only human and the stuff he had to cope with? Well, you said it best ...

he went through A LOT of fucked up shit, too much for most people to handle.

Here's an article that briefly mentions Michael's name, as well as other well-known individuals who are thought to may have had certain traits of one with ASD

Here's an article that briefly mentions Michael's name, as well as other well-known individuals who are thought to may have had certain traits of one with ASD
Where?

Back