Was this MJ's new peak when it comes to his vocals?

Did MJ reach a new peak with his vocal abilities right before the end?

• Total voters
I had a feeling Arty would be up in here having a field day

Its a testament to how good his voice was then, too be able to control your breathing and deliver those kind of vocals is an amazing feat. If I watch TII and hes doing as much on the stage now as he was then, which I doubt because its a rehearsal, then I could say, yeh, maybe it is better.

You can't compare the vocals of a concert that runs for 2 hours, with rehearsals filled with gaps that took place over a matter of months. If you cook one potato in an oven and one in a microwave the results will be different, they'll both be cooked but they won't be the same.

I have the Jackosns live and I must say, Ben is magic, definitely the best live version of that song hes done especially as an adult, simply beautiful.

I was trying to point out the difference between sprinting and a marathon. just because you can beat somebody in a 10 mile marathon, that doesn't mean you can run faster than the other person. in a short sprint that person might be able to reach speeds the other person can never meet. that is why I say it's irrelevant that his younger self could do it for two hours. were not talking about who can sing for the longest number of hours. were talking about who could sing better.

Triumph Tour very rare footage singing Can you feel it live

It begins at minute 2:00

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oYfHJj2TA

And watch the same video at minute 4:40 again very rare Triumph live performance video of This Place Hotel

By the way during the Triumph Tour MJ was wearing the Glove. Many people believe MJ wore the Glove in the Thriller era-but he already wore it during Triumph!

that can you feel it performance is such a good example of why he needed to get out of that group. geesh. Michael is in a leage of his own, but his brothers were only so so talented. Like typical mtv flavor of the week kind of talented. and the way that one guy sings and moves onstage is enough to make a guy cringe. Michael does sound absolutely incredible there though, I will admit that.

well of course I hear the difference. In these two performances right here, the best moments of the performance when he's younger pale in comparison to the best moments of the history tour. listen to the way he says Yeah yeah yeah, younger Mike didn't have the flem in the back of his throat yet to rattle that way. I'll admit at parts he sounds out of breathe.

But it doesn't matter anyways, because it's unfair to put those two links there like that. Michael had a lung condition and he was almost 40 in the history tour. If he's running out of breathe it's not going to sound as good as if he is in a studio pacing himself, warming up etc...

the links do prove that the younger Mike had more endurance, but it doesn't show that he had a wider range of lower and high notes.

But it doesn't matter anyways, because it's unfair to put those two links there like that. Michael had a lung condition and he was almost 40 in the history tour. If he's running out of breathe it's not going to sound as good as if he is in a studio pacing himself, warming up etc...QUOTE]

And that's why he WASN'T at his peak now or during the 90s. And if you say the history medley is better than triumph medley, you gotta be out of your mind, really.

The Victory tour was definitely amazing. I'm Michael's age and saw the tour in Atlanta. I was hiking and camping in the Appalachians with a friend, happened to pick up on the radio about the concert that night... we looked at each other and said Let's go! We danced our asses off in our hiking boots.

Michael's voice was ethereal. But I love and support all my favorite artists even as they show a little wear and tear, and his later, more mature voice was charming in its own way. Sadder and wiser, it was.

Ah, the disrespect began earlier than many realize... when I returned from that hiking trip and mentioned to my boyfriend my detour, he sniffed and said, "well, don't tell any of my friends you went -- they'll think you're a bimbo." Oh yes, we were anti-disco rockers who were "too cool" for Michael. I bristled... I'd LOVED the Jacksons as a child. And though we hated disco, it's absolutely true what you keep hearing, that no one could stay seated when an MJ song came on.

I thought I'd never mourn an artist again like I did John Lennon... and was startled to find myself punched in the gut by Michael's death. His sweet voice was back in my ear like it had never left. You can't have a companion like that for so long without him becoming "another part of me."

Sorry for getting off topic a bit. I'm learning a lot from reading this thread... thanks!

Am I the only one who thinks Michael sounds awesome during the Royal Brunei concert?His voice is grittier but I like it that way. I guess I like his more mature voice better. But that is just personal taste. He was incredible when he was younger too. The only time he doesn't sound great is when he has physical issues with his voice. No one can be perfection 24/7 not even Michael.

:rolleyes: @ whoever said HIStory was one of MJ's weakest albums.

Are you smoking crack?

From what I've heard this could be Michael's best vocals but I think I have to see the movie before I can say more.

Okay then, what else is supposed to be one of his weakest albums? Thriller? Off The Wall?

:angry:

I prefer HIStory over Thriller and Off The Wall. And I'm not one of those fans who isn't familiar with the early material. I own every solo and group album he's done. Whilst I love OTW and Thriller, I would take Triumph over both of those albums.

HIStory is his best in my opinion. It is deeper, more real. It's not just a collection of great pop songs. He's pouring his heart out for all to hear. The sheer intensity of songs like TDCAU and SIM is immense.

For me, his weakest album by a mile is Invincible.

I prefer HIStory over Thriller and Off The Wall. And I'm not one of those fans who isn't familiar with the early material. I own every solo and group album he's done. Whilst I love OTW and Thriller, I would take Triumph over both of those albums.

HIStory is his best in my opinion. It is deeper, more real. It's not just a collection of great pop songs. He's pouring his heart out for all to hear. The sheer intensity of songs like TDCAU and SIM is immense.

For me, his weakest album by a mile is Invincible.

I don't like how he keeps singing on the HIStory album about his problems etc, it's too dark and doesn't have many inspiraring songs in my opinion, atleast not compared to his early work. I enjoy the soulfull Michael and I believe he was at his best during the early 80s.

The thing about Michael is that he tried singing and dancing at the same time, and this wasn't just simple little moves and stage strutting, but complex dance moves. In his live shows you'll notice how after just 1 song he's out of breath and by the time he's halfway into the 2nd song he's totally out of breath. Singing and dancing is hard to do at the same time. You could try to push it, but with your heart pounding fast you need to breath in more, and when you're singing you need to control your breathing, so you are hyperventilating and will pass out. Lip syncing works for that, yes it's cheating and doesn't sound natural, but it's far better than sounding exhausted and collapsing on the floor after just a couple of songs if you're gonna do energetic and complex dance moves. For Michael, performing wasn't just about standing there and singing, it involved wild dance moves, loud explosions, bright lights, and things that would make you go WOW!

I don't like how he keeps singing on the HIStory album about his problems etc, it's too dark and doesn't have many inspiraring songs in my opinion, atleast not compared to his early work. I enjoy the soulfull Michael and I believe he was at his best during the early 80s.

Well look at what he was going through at the time, You can't really blame him for the context of most of the songs on the album. But still, History is a good album, I wouldn't put it over Invincible though, or any of the albums that came before History, except for the Victory album (group & solo career I'm referring to here). But Muddy Waters once said, That in order to sing the blues, you have had to live it, In History, Michael was singing what he was living, which made it special for what it was.

I'd have to listen more. I hate to do it but I'd like to compare his TII rehearsals to the Dangerous rehearsals. so I'll wait until I see the movie.

Well look at what he was going through at the time, You can't really blame him for the context of most of the songs on the album. But still, History is a good album, I wouldn't put it over Invincible though, or any of the albums that came before History, except for the Victory album (group & solo career I'm referring to here). But Muddy Waters once said, That in order to sing the blues, you have had to live it, In History, Michael was singing what he was living, which made it special for what it was.

I don't blame him, I completely understand his will to do those kind of songs, but personally, I'm more interested in him making the music he did on Destiny, Off The Wall, Triumph, Thriller and Bad.

After all the shit he'd been through in 93, the allegations, the addiction to painkillers, the media persecution... don't you think it would've looked kinda weird to come back with just another album of pop songs? What's wrong with singing about your problems? He had shit that he needed to deal with and he did so through his music. HIStory displays a far more authentic and honest side to Michael's psyche than anything he's done before or since.

I guess it depends what you're after from an artist. I love it when an artist wears their heart on their sleeve and gets all deep and autobiographical. But that's just me.

I was actually very disappointed when Invincible dropped in 2001... after such intensely personal songs like Morphine, SIM, TDCAU etc, hearing him do generic R&B fillers like Heartbreaker and such like was kind of a step backwards for Michael, artistically.

when you talk about HIStory album why you just think about its lyrics and context(though it's the best thing about it)?? you think like MJ haters think or those who're just looking for music to dance and have fun, MJ's music isn't just about that

HIStory album is when MJ was at his peak FACT

actually, I think Invincible is just as personal as History II or BOTDF.

Based on what? The only songs which sound remotely personal are Unbreakable and perhaps Speechless. And I suppose The Lost Children is very sincere. But stuff like Heartbreaker, Invincible, YRMW... they're good pop songs but they could be done by anyone...

Based on what? The only songs which sound remotely personal are Unbreakable and perhaps Speechless. And I suppose The Lost Children is very sincere. But stuff like Heartbreaker, Invincible, YRMW... they're good pop songs but they could be done by anyone...

how could you forgot Privacy :smilerolleyes: his voice there was really strong

damn, what's wrong with some personal mature songs, to show you how cruel and mean this world is

I've based my answer on the Human Nature clip which is the only thing we really have to go on, since everything else is either tiny snippets (WBSS, Billie Jean), or pre-recorded (TWYMMF, Smooth Criminal, etc).

I would say that although I was blown away by Human Nature, it's just not as good as the Victory Tour or Bad Tour performances which were amazing. Also, bear in mind - the Human Nature performance we're witnessing is in rehearsal, and not following a guy-busting performance of Jam then WBSS as it would have been during the show, and as it was during the Dangerous tour performances.

Having said that, he sounds better on this HN than he did on the Dangerous rehearsal video. I was really impressed by the Human Nature clips we've seen so far, but I think it's revisionism to suggest it's a new peak for Michael.

And let's not forget that the performances are clearly edited; in fact, from the full-length video we've just seen on the official site, it's clear that the editing staff have actually replaced some of the dodgy flat notes from the previous HN clips, with nice clean accurate notes for the movie version. So it's going to be really hard to tell.

We need Triumph, Destiny and Victory tours released on DVD and Blu-Ray!

when you talk about HIStory album why you just think about its lyrics and context(though it's the best thing about it)?? you think like MJ haters think or those who're just looking for music to dance and have fun, MJ's music isn't just about that

Well, what grounds do you have to say its a fact that he was at his peak then? I really don´t think so.

Do you mean creatively, or vocally?

Neither of those opinions would be factual, though I would agree creatively he was at his peak from Dangerous to HIStory. Not a fact though, just my opinion.

Vocally, he was past his peak by HIStory, as evidenced by the HIStory tour. Again, no more a fact than your statement that he peaked at HIStory. :doh:

Back