Weekend News Bytes 14 March 09 - 15 March 09

...more news.....

UK NEWS

SHANE RITCHIE TO WARM UP 02 FOR JACKSON

89385_1.jpg

Shane Ritchie will open shows

Sunday March 15,2009

By Lesley Ann Jones

COMEDIAN and former EastEnder Shane Ritchie is being lined up to act as the warm-up man for Michael Jackson’s string of concerts this summer.

A huge fan of the controversial superstar, Ritchie, 45, is said to have dined with Jackson while he was in London and in Los Angeles to discuss how he could make a contribution to the concerts.

Now it appears that Ritchie, who played lovable rogue Alfie Moon in EastEnders and is currently playing Archie Daley, the nephew of Arthur, in the revamped Minder series on Channel Five, will open the shows but without singing a note.

Richie is said to be working on a new-style act to get the crowds in the mood for Jackson’s stage performance.

The choice would be highly surprising as Jackson has the pick of the current crop of big-selling acts, from Razorlight to the Killers, from Lily Allen to Kate Nash, all clamouring for the warm-up role.

Jackson, 50, a fan of Fox TV’s smash-hit show Don’t Forget The Lyrics, had originally promised the slot to its host, the Emmy award-winning black American actor, singer and comedian Wayne Brady, who released his debut R & B album, A Long Time Coming, in the US late last year.

Jackson had planned a variation on the programme’s karaoke theme, in which fans from the 02 Arena audience would be invited on stage to perform Michael Jackson songs, and attempt to win prize money by filling in the missing lyrics.

But his promoters AEG Live pointed out that 36-year-old Brady is virtually unknown in Britain and would be unlikely to excite the crowds.

When one of his team then pointed out that Ritchie presents a British version of the show for Sky One, Jackson asked for tapes, liked Ritchie and the deal was all but done.

Ritchie has also appeared in the West End musicals Boogie Nights and Grease.

“I can’t confirm or deny that there’s a deal on the table”, said Ritchie’s agent Phil Dale last night.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/89385/Shane-Ritchie-to-warm-up-02-for-Jackson

Wow, now we've got like 12 acts refusing to deny that they are MJ's pre-show entertainment.

I'd like to announce that I can neither confirm nor deny that I will be the 13th.

so..now we know. that MJ doesn't need radio. we know...he doesn't need promotion(despite his humble plea for it on Invincible, so we now know the album did well). and we know...that his career is impervious to slings and arrows. this is the perfect career that all celebrities wish for.

That's for sure. I betcha Beyonce, Justin, Prince and everbody else wishes that they can pull these kinds of numbers without any effort. Like Lionel Ritchie said, Michael's legacy can not be changed. It is written in stone.

and what's telling is just HOW fast this went and just how little notice people were given yet they spent hella money on this. lol

My comments about Annie Lennox stays. I didn't stoop to any level. I told the truth about her. Worry about what YOU do, sosodef. She is a nobody.

Rasta, thanks for posting these artciles of the media reporting the fact that MJ concerts have now sold out. The media are either going to report that fact, not report it or report the fact and trash him. The media has to eat their crow. Those haters that trashed him during the trial have now realized that MJ is a LEGEND and real LEGENDS cannot be ruined. Those fans proved it when they bought those tickets.

4/ Being a diehard Michael Jackson fan requires a lot of self-delusion

And being a die hard Michael Jackson hater requires a lot of stupidity and complete self -delusion that the man that they hate will never be ruined. I wonder what that fool Tom Joyner has to say about this feat? Do any of you guys know if he has reported it? I can never forget his silly comments about Mike. What are his comments about Mike now? LOL. The media has been played AGAIN because the person that they hate the most have returned and he is here to stay. I am not surprised that the Demon has moved on to the next black artist that she wants to ruined: Chris Brown. Pathetic, racist fool.

Just ignore the haters guys
They are just jeaouls that mike is still THE KING OF POP....and they cant handle it!

First I would like to congratulate Michael for a major accomplishment. I would pray that he is able to pull 50 shows off that's my only concern. Some people are very suspicious of this Randy Phillips (AEG Owner) promoter guy. But I will say this that Phillips was able to pull something off without any real promotion accept for an poster board ad stating "This Is It" and of course the man himself, Mr. Jackson speaking at a press conference. As a result, a major feat was accomplished...Jackson tixs sell out within hours? and in a major economic crisis at that. I say that this Phillip guy did something right whether you trust him or not. Also, what people have to understand is that this is a business. Michael is an entertainer and I think the timing is right now. Michael has been on haitus for too long it's good that he was able to hook up with a promoter who was able to get him back out there to do what he does best which is entertain and bring joy to so many people through his music. During these last several years when Michael was not doing anything (ie: no new album, no tour, etc) we were all complaining. Whether it be coming out with a new album or touring. Now the time has finally arrived and we are still complaining? Also regarding Annie Lennox comment, if she did say that about Michael I lost all respect for her because it was totally uncalled for and colleagues do not bad mouth each other like that . But it would not surprise me if she misqouted by the foolish media.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if Annie Lennox was misquoted, either, because she has always been a huge fan of Michael's.

atlf has a point, didn't she just say somethingpositive? so either she was misquoted or she does like his music but not him! Lol it happens all the tiem

Shane Ritchie?!?!?! You have to be shitting me. I guess I'll stay longer propping up the bar then, wont be missing much there.

I am not sure what people are trying to say about Annie Lennox? I didn't see anything about her saying bad things about Mike. She said she felt sorry for him. People are exaggerating things.

annie lennox is in my opinion not that interesting a person, i think she uses her celeb, to support causes in order to heighten herself to the public. Without it im sure she would have faded away long ago.

How typical of MJ fans to always jump to conclusion about a person just because the media (!) quotes them on something, we don't even know the circumstances, I think it's disgusting, to be honest. MJ fans always want respect for their idol and say it's not right to judge MJ based on what the media says are constantly doing this on other artists.

I admire and respect Annie a lot, she is a very good woman who has done a lot of good work, also a great singer and artist.

I have heard her say positive things about MJ in the past. It's strange how quickly opionions on a person change here just because the media reports something that may or may not be true.

I don't care, honestly, I like her, and that is totally unrelated to what she may think or may not think about MJ.

Are ppl getting upset with Annie because of what she was quoted as saying in the Sky news thing? If so, I don't get it, because it's positive. She can say she feels sorry for him without us having to take that as a really negative thing - and the major vibe of the quote was positive - so I think it's fine. Also, by the way, did I mention today that I think Michael Jackson is totally fu**ing awesome and just the best artist in the whole freaking world. I have to get that off my chest at least once a day. MJ 4 ever peeps!!!

How typical of MJ fans to always jump to conclusion about a person just because the media (!) quotes them on something, we don't even know the circumstances, I think it's disgusting, to be honest. MJ fans always want respect for their idol and say it's not right to judge MJ based on what the media says are constantly doing this on other artists.

I admire and respect Annie a lot, she is a very good woman who has done a lot of good work, also a great singer and artist.

I have heard her say positive things about MJ in the past. It's strange how quickly opionions on a person change here just because the media reports something that may or may not be true.

I don't care, honestly, I like her, and that is totally unrelated to what she may think or may not think about MJ.

Well thats your opinion , let people have theirs ...

Your statement was a generalization, unless every MJ fan has posted in this thread you can't say all MJ fans are typical. Why must MJ fans always have to take the higher ground when people want to bash Michael yet every other artist fanbase can defend their favorite, please this is a discussion board not a dictatorship.

u know what, u guys, we're not gonna fight about annie lennox. if you're upset and bashing her soley b/c of what she said, not b/c of her as an artist, then it's a bit much. sort of like the love/hate bandwagon.

im also a bit confused why people are more upset that someone made it a point to show how so many were upset about a simple comment that we don't even know is true. dictatorship?

why must mj fans take the higher ground? hmmmmmmmm maybe b/c mj takes the higher ground. ever see him bashing anyone back? he smiles and moves on. hell, he even sent lmp flowers when he husband du jour and her b roke up (cage). it's called tact.

did u see mj throwing things at reporters during the trial? saying nasty things? if u stoop totheir level then what are you? brush urselves off and put on a smile.

hell we got 50 concerts and a historical and record b reaking sell out to celebrate and we're fighting amongst ourselves over annie lennox?

I guess I am the only one who doesn't know who this annie person is. I also guess then it don't matter what she said or if she said it.

anyways I am so happy and proud of michael's achievements. The man is BEYOND AMAZING. Keep doing YOU michael. *muah*:clapping:

I don't watch much tv, but the little I do hear (from the family watching). Is it me or is the AMERICAN media NOT reporting these mindblowing number that michael pulled? It seems like none of the media heads are reporting this. Only thing I hear is chris brown blah blah blahh.

But that's ok because there is NO denying what michael did over these few days no matter how hard they try to ignore it.:D

I am not sure what people are trying to say about Annie Lennox? I didn't see anything about her saying bad things about Mike. She said she felt sorry for him. People are exaggerating things.

its funny...when a celeb slags Michael himself.. its all over the media.. but doing a google search of Michael and Annie Lennox only produce this,....umm??
Sky News

Annie Lennox expresses concern for Michael Jackson

Spicezee - ‎Mar 9, 2009‎
London, Mar 10: Will Michael Jackson be able to pull off a tremendous comeback at his concerts this summer? Annie Lennox won`t be buying a ticket to find ...
Annie Lennox: 'What Does Simon Cowell Know?' Sky News

Annie Lennox lashes out at X-Factor Deadline Press & Picture Agency

Annie Lennox guardian.co.uk

Post Chronicle - Digital Spy all 11 news articles »

ummm???...........................

let's move on... there is too much good things going on to be caught up in un-substantiated mess...

Last edited:
I guess I am the only one who doesn't know who this annie person is. I also guess then it don't matter what she said or if she said it.

anyways I am so happy and proud of michael's achievements. The man is BEYOND AMAZING. Keep doing YOU michael. *muah*:clapping:

I don't watch much tv, but the little I do hear (from the family watching). Is it me or is the AMERICAN media NOT reporting these mindblowing number that michael pulled? It seems like none of the media heads are reporting this. Only thing I hear is chris brown blah blah blahh.

But that's ok because there is NO denying what michael did over these few days no matter how hard they try to ignore it.:D

That's OK ..becuz its ALL OVER the Internet..

That's what i've been saying. Some fans are whining about the coverage as if only die hard MJ fans are aware of this amazing news.
that is what's sooooooooooooo nice about today's technology....ABC. NBC nor CBS are not the only avenue...

the internet was a powerful tool that helped Michael break another record...

a friend of mine was on vacation in South American when news broke about the O2...they sent me an email about it from South American...they live in the UK...

don't sweat it that CNN or other US media outlets are not shouting from the roof tops about it...there are all 1,657 news articles » in Google about it...

its all good............loving it!

Can't remember this many great stories about MJ ever!

He is all over the press and media! - AND very different to earlier now it's all (or mostly) positive! About breaking records, record sales etc. etc. - I can't remember it has ever been this fun reading the newspapers as a MJ fan!

well the peeps who don't google or are not on the net (older ppl lol) don't now michael sold out in 5 hours. yeah the internet is great but I still dislike how the tv media isn't reporting it, yet they can report other crap about michael.

trust me...i ain't losing sleep over it tho'. It just amazes me how the media do mike. How they go out their way to be nasty to him.

Totally lovin all this great mj news :)
Im so in party mood lol

Back